Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,980 members, 7,817,889 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:06 PM

Does God Have A Sense Of Humour? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does God Have A Sense Of Humour? (1779 Views)

Why Do God Have To Create People GAY? Why? / Does God Have An Ego? / Why Did God Have To ''Kill His Son''? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does God Have A Sense Of Humour? by PastorAIO: 5:21pm On Jul 08, 2009
We know that in the bible God can get Angry, we know that he can have regrets and we know about all sorts of other traits that are quite human that God exhibits in the bible.

Does anyone think that God would exhibit a sense of humour too? Afterall humans have a sense of humour. Why can't God? What do ye Nairalanders think?
Re: Does God Have A Sense Of Humour? by MrCrackles(m): 5:22pm On Jul 08, 2009
Maybe. . . . . . . I dont know jare! grin
Re: Does God Have A Sense Of Humour? by PastorAIO: 5:24pm On Jul 08, 2009
Religious people in 9ja are sooo sooo serious about their religions that it makes you wonder if their God could ever have a laugh.
Re: Does God Have A Sense Of Humour? by MrCrackles(m): 5:29pm On Jul 08, 2009
Pastor AIO:

Religious people in 9ja are sooo sooo serious about their religions that it makes you wonder if their God could ever have a laugh.

Nigerians take religion to the extreme to be honest!
Re: Does God Have A Sense Of Humour? by Tudor6(f): 6:05pm On Jul 08, 2009
Sure the bible god has a sense of humour albeit a warped variety.
He finds stuffs like - drowning the entire world in a flood and sending the devil to torment job just have a laugh and prove a point- funny in his own mysterious way.

1 Like

Re: Does God Have A Sense Of Humour? by mantraa: 6:25pm On Jul 08, 2009
Here is a great example of god's stupendously hilarious and omniscient sense of humour.

http://www.thebricktestament.com/job/meet_job/jb01_01.html

And another example of his great holy and omnipotent comic genius:

http://www.thebricktestament.com/genesis/noahs_insobriety/gn09_22a.html

enjoy
Re: Does God Have A Sense Of Humour? by Chrisbenogor(m): 9:15pm On Jul 08, 2009
Pastor AIO:

We know that in the bible God can get Angry, we know that he can have regrets and we know about all sorts of other traits that are quite human that God exhibits in the bible.

Does anyone think that God would exhibit a sense of humour too? Afterall humans have a sense of humour. Why can't God? What do ye Nairalanders think?
The biggest sense of humour if he turns out to be not only real but just created us for kicks, oh dear imagine the bucket loads of laughter at Mohammad's cartoon grin grin grin grin
Re: Does God Have A Sense Of Humour? by jagunlabi(m): 11:10am On Jul 09, 2009
If we are talking about the badass god of the jews whose bloodthirsty exploits were chronicled in the OT,then there is no single iota of humour in his bones.Unless we wish redefine what humour is.
Re: Does God Have A Sense Of Humour? by sweetpie23: 1:47pm On Jul 09, 2009
funny topic grin grin
Re: Does God Have A Sense Of Humour? by Recognise: 1:58pm On Jul 09, 2009
Pastor AIO:

We know that in the bible God can get Angry,

we know that he can have regrets and we know about all sorts of other traits that are quite human that God exhibits in the bible.

Does anyone think that God would exhibit a sense of humour too? 

Afterall humans  have a sense of humour.  Why can't God?  What do ye Nairalanders think?

Pastor AIO:

@OP

- Pastor AIO, let's get this straight first . . .

There is nothing impossible for God to do

Even sinning? I sense you ask . . .

Yep, even something audacious as sinning, he can sin (e.g. lie . . . etc) if He wants to

But of course He wouldnt 

because unlike us, He is Holy Wholly - He's got it all together & all that, besides it'll be tantamount to self-abuse if He does grin

. . . Does anyone think that God would exhibit a sense of humour too? you asked

As a matter of fact God does have a sense of humor, He would and/or does exhibit it

The best indication that God does have a sense of humor is that He created us in His image

An image is an imitation, representation, or similitude of any person, thing, or act, sculptured, drawn, painted, or otherwise made perceptible to the sight; a visible presentation; a copy; a likeness; an effigy; a picture; a semblance.

From the above definition, we can safely deduct that if we have a sense of humour so then must God's image and by default would God too grin

Let me share a story (i.e. an example) of God exhibiting a sense humour with you

I know Pastor AIO is familiar with Dagon - the national fish god of the Philistines so I'll share that story

Back in the days the Israelites used the Ark of the Covenant like a good-luck charm when going to battle . . .

On this day, in one their battles, one of their arch enemies, the Philistines ended up capturing the Ark of the Covenant

Upon capturing the ark, the Philistines subsequently placed it in their temple before their idol Dagon.

Now the following day, when the Philistines came into the temple, they found Dagon flat on it's face before the ark, so they set it back up.

The next morning, bam! there it was again, face down and flat on the ground

and as if that wasnt bad enough, this time, it had it's hands and head cut off for good measure grin 1 Samuel 5:1-5

Well, here is God’s putting Dagon down in a jokey position of submission to His ark

and finally displaying with a comical picture, a symbol of it's powerlessness before His ark

Funny as the comedy may seem now, I bet the Philistines didnt find it humorous and were head-scratching and befuddled at that time

". . . it makes you wonder if their God could ever have a laugh." you wondered as well

Oftentimes when God is serious over a matter, we think its ludicrous and he is having a laugh

A couple of examples that spring to mind are:

1) Sarah in stitches when she overheard that she'll have a child at old age

2) The Isralities told to march round the walls of Jericho seven times and that they'll conquer the city without lifting a finger

3) The servants told to draw out some water and take it as wine to the master of the wedding banquet  grin one of my favs . . .

Psalm 2:4 (King James Version):

He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh:

the LORD shall have them in derision.

Psalm 59:8 (King James Version):

But thou, O LORD, shalt laugh at them;

thou shalt have all the heathen in derision,

Without a doubt God does have a sense of humour

Between you and me the greatest laugh God is having is over those that dont believe

They think its a laugh; all a joke . . . grin
Re: Does God Have A Sense Of Humour? by KAG: 7:24pm On Jul 09, 2009
No, I don't. Sorry.
Re: Does God Have A Sense Of Humour? by bawomolo(m): 12:53am On Jul 10, 2009
jagunlabi:

If we are talking about the badass god of the jews whose bloodthirsty exploits were chronicled in the OT,then there is no single iota of humour in his bones.Unless we wish redefine what humour is.

His exchanges with Adam were definitely humorous.
Re: Does God Have A Sense Of Humour? by Gabry(f): 5:32am On Jul 10, 2009
I know that God has to be balance in everything so yes, he could be funny as well
Re: Does God Have A Sense Of Humour? by PastorAIO: 10:39am On Jul 10, 2009
Could God say something that was a dublay on-ton-dray (double entendre)?

This could help in our bid to understand the meaning of certain passages in the bible.

Or any other sacred text for that matter.
Re: Does God Have A Sense Of Humour? by Recognise: 11:05am On Jul 10, 2009
Pastor AIO:

Could God say something that was a dublay on-ton-dray (double entendre)?

This could help in our bid to understand the meaning of certain passages in the bible. 

Or any other sacred text for that matter.

@OP

- Pastor AIO

If one really does know the Bible, examples and/or instances of double entendre are splattered across its pages . . .

Why don't you come clean with the exact "certain passages in the bible grappling to understand"  smiley
Re: Does God Have A Sense Of Humour? by PastorAIO: 11:19am On Jul 10, 2009
I didn't think I was coming dirty in the first place. I showered and washed my mouth before I came. That should be clean enough for you, shouldn't it.

I said certain passages, but really it could be applied to any passages. For example the "Don't muzzle an Ox when it is threshing" passage. More than one meaning has been extracted out of that by exegesis.

The issue really is : how much room for interpretation do we have when reading scripture and perhaps it is intended that more than one meaning be extracted from a text depending on it's context.

For example, I write poetry. Not very good poetry, but I try to the best of my ability. I know that I can write a line intentionally leaving it open to interpretation. What did I mean by the line, The reader might wonder. Well my intention might not be specific but rather general and open to interpretation. So different people will get different things out of it and know one will be right or wrong.

In other words if I am capable of intentionally making creative use of vaguity then couldn't God also do the same.
Re: Does God Have A Sense Of Humour? by Recognise: 11:55am On Jul 10, 2009
Pastor AIO:

I didn't think I was coming dirty in the first place.  I showered and washed my mouth before I came. 

That should be clean enough for you, shouldn't it. 

I said certain passages, but really it could be applied to any passages. 

For example the "Don't muzzle an Ox when it is threshing" passage.  More than one meaning has been extracted out of that by exegesis. 

The issue really is : how much room for interpretation do we have when reading scripture and perhaps it is intended that more than one meaning be extracted from a text depending on it's context. 

For example, I write poetry.  Not very good poetry, but I try to the best of my ability. 

I know that I can write a line intentionally leaving it open to interpretation.  What did I mean by the line, The reader might wonder. 

Well my intention might not be specific but rather general and open to interpretation. 

So different people will get different things out of it and know one will be right or wrong.

In other words if I am capable of intentionally making creative use of vaguity then couldn't God also do the same. 

@OP

- Pastor AIO

grin grin You're a slippery sly so-and-so . . .  grin grin

I recognised the way you slightly ammended the rules and moved the goal post  smiley

Yup! am with ya totally . . .

I mean both the enigma and the "It for me to know and for you to find out" angle

Its what creative people do (i.e. artists etc) . . .

Leonardo Da Vinci did and/or does the same with his paintings

Bet you can recall, one of the classics "I'll tear the temple down and build it in three days . . ."  grin

This got some furious, befuddled, and huffing & puffing

Proverbs 25:2 (King James Version):

It is the glory of God to conceal a thing:

but the honour of kings is to search out a matter.

Talking of creativity,

if incidentally God is a creative being then presenting defying enigma will be His prerogative
Re: Does God Have A Sense Of Humour? by modupe01: 11:58am On Jul 10, 2009
Recognise:

Without a doubt God does have a sense of humour

Between you and me the greatest laugh God is having is over those that dont believe

They think its a laugh; all a joke . . . grin

Watch the unfolding of this drama:

"I am going to put the Bible out of business." -- Robert Ingersoll

"Another century and there will not be a Bible on earth!" -- Voltaire

"Voltaire expected that within fifty years of his lifetime there would not be one Bible in the world.  His house is now a distribution centre for Bibles in many languages". -- Corrie Ten Boom 

Our God surely has a sense of humour.  grin grin grin
Re: Does God Have A Sense Of Humour? by PastorAIO: 8:48pm On Jul 10, 2009
In many ways, a work of art is not complete until it being looked at by an audience. The Artist knows that the audience will each of them interpret (complete) the work in their own head. It is impossible for an artist to determine exactly how the audience will see the work.
Re: Does God Have A Sense Of Humour? by Recognise: 9:08pm On Jul 10, 2009
Pastor AIO:

In many ways, a work of art is not complete until it being looked at by an audience. 

The Artist knows that the audience will each of them interpret (complete) the work in their own head. 

It is impossible for an artist to determine exactly how the audience will see the work.

@OP

- Pastor AIO

Yeah, that's true for a mortal artist but not this particular Artist

This Artist unequivocally & exactly knows how the audience will see the work . . .  wink
Re: Does God Have A Sense Of Humour? by PastorAIO: 9:25pm On Jul 10, 2009
Recognise:

@OP

- Pastor AIO

This Artist unequivocally & exactly knows how the audience will see the work . . .  wink

Apparently not, judging from the myriad number of religions and denominations of religions in the world. Apparently not!
Re: Does God Have A Sense Of Humour? by Recognise: 10:10pm On Jul 10, 2009
Pastor AIO:

Apparently not, judging from the myriad number of religions and denominations of religions in the world. 

Apparently not!

@OP

- Pastor AIO

I beg to differ . . .

Actually, in the beginning, the Artist had a rapport & relationship with audience

Religion (i.e. to be bound) and denominations are and/or were aftermath

An error of judgment on the audience part

The Artist though not keen on religion aka rituals nevertheless respected the audience's prerogative (i.e. choice) . . .

But hey, no sweat, nothing's spoilt . . .

an offer is presently on the table for graps to return to the original state of affairs
Re: Does God Have A Sense Of Humour? by mantraa: 10:40pm On Jul 10, 2009
I think that the whole talking snake episode in Genesis is hilariously funny. Snakes cant talk. 

http://www.thebricktestament.com/genesis/garden_of_eden/gn03_01.html

Genesis 3:1

Now the snake was the shrewdest of any animal of the field which Yahweh God had made.

He said to the woman, 'Has God really said, "You shall not eat from any tree of the garden?"'

The incredible talking snake.  grin grin

Almost as funny as Balaam's talking ass. shocked

http://www.thebricktestament.com/the_wilderness/balaams_talking_donkey/nm22_30.html

The bronze age people who wrote the bible must have been comedians, and the funny thing is that people actually believed it to be true. tongue
Re: Does God Have A Sense Of Humour? by Recognise: 11:13pm On Jul 10, 2009
Mantraa:

I think that the whole talking snake episode in Genisis is hilariously funny. Snakes cant talk. 

http://www.thebricktestament.com/genesis/garden_of_eden/gn03_01.html

Genesis 3:1

Now the snake was the shrewdest of any animal of the field which Yahweh God had made.

He said to the woman, 'Has God really said, "You shall not eat from any tree of the garden?"'

The incredible talking snake.
  grin grin

@ Mantraa

- Mantraa

grin grin The joke is on you mate . . .  grin

Sorry no one is laughing with you but rather others are laughing at you

You must be green or naive to think the Bible is entirely literal

For the record, among other things, Pastor AIO can attest to this  wink

the Bible is the ultimate book work of art

Do not mistake, it's part literal, part figurative

The talking snake is a picture representation of an event that occurred in the garden If you didnt know, why didnt you ask somebody huh?

Re: Does God Have A Sense Of Humour? by mantraa: 11:40pm On Jul 10, 2009
As a christian you must know that millions of followers of your faith do take it very literally. Word for word, including the talking animals, dinosaurs on Noah's ark, Jonah's adventure in a whale etc. etc.  If you didn't then you must be very naive.

Maybe you should take a trip down to the $28 million creation museum

http://creationmuseum.org/

Open your eyes.  shocked
Re: Does God Have A Sense Of Humour? by manmustwac(m): 11:54pm On Jul 10, 2009
sure it dose, the whole bible story is a joke and u have to be very funny to believe it
Re: Does God Have A Sense Of Humour? by Recognise: 12:09am On Jul 11, 2009
@^

What took yall so long to turn up . . . grin

The "unbelievers" chickens have come home to gloat roost.
grin
Re: Does God Have A Sense Of Humour? by mantraa: 12:25am On Jul 11, 2009
@recognise
Good for you for having the common sense to not take it literally.
Re: Does God Have A Sense Of Humour? by PastorAIO: 12:31am On Jul 11, 2009
Recognise:

@OP

- Pastor AIO

This Artist unequivocally & exactly [size=15pt]knows
how the audience will see the work . . .  wink[/size]

Sorry, I agree that he knows all the various ways how the audience will see the work but he does not determine them to see it in any single way that is the 'right' way.
Re: Does God Have A Sense Of Humour? by Recognise: 12:50am On Jul 11, 2009
Mantraa:

@recognise

Good for you for having the common sense to not take it literally.

@Mantraa

- Mantraa

- Yeah like "Born with a silver spoon in the mouth" means that literally

Trust you to sneakingly touch-up and doctor your snake posting with the Balaam addition

@Pastor AIO

- Pastor AIO

I recognised you've been busy on the milk rounds grin

Of course not, the Artist wouldnt determine . . .

not unless the Artist wanted androids for an audience
Re: Does God Have A Sense Of Humour? by modupe01: 7:25pm On Jul 11, 2009
Who said that God doesn't have a sense of humour? He recorded an event that happened that shows the beginning of man's blame game when "Adam blamed Eve, Eve blamed the snake and the snake didn't have a leg to stand on". Read Genesis 3:14-19.

You will find here that God was talking to real humans and to a real serpent whom the fallen arch angel Satan had possessed, when He said "Because you have done this you are cursed more than all cattle and more than every beast of the field; on your belly you shall go, and you shall eat dust all the days of your life" Gen.3:14. I believe this was a literal except you believe the lies of the Vatican.
Re: Does God Have A Sense Of Humour? by Tudor6(f): 8:28pm On Jul 11, 2009
modupe01:

Who said that God doesn't have a sense of humour?  He recorded an event that happened that shows the beginning of man's blame game when "Adam blamed Eve, Eve blamed the snake and the snake didn't have a leg to stand on". Read Genesis 3:14-19. 

You will find here that God was talking to real humans and to a real serpent whom the fallen arch angel Satan had possessed, when He said "Because you have done this you are cursed more than all cattle and more than every beast of the field; on your belly you shall go, and you shall eat dust all the days of your life" Gen.3:14.  I believe this was a literal except you believe the lies of the Vatican.
What gives you the right to proclaim the vatican's interpretation lies and yours the truth??
What makes you qualified to interprete the bible anyhow you want??

(1) (2) (Reply)

God Hates The Higgs Boson [large Hadron Collider Lhc] / Your Guide To The Monotheistic Religions. / The Lord's Chosen And Their Lemon Apron: Isn't It Idolatry?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.