Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,688 members, 7,816,799 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:30 PM

N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know (48221 Views)

N800 For Stamp Duty Charge? Diamond Bank Sent This Message To Me / NECA Attacks CBN Over N50 Stamp Duty / CBN Extends Stamp Duty Collection To Savings Accounts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by pesty100(m): 5:29pm On Feb 22, 2016
olatpic:
As expected, many Nigerians have expressed their dissatisfaction on the announcement by CBN instructing all DMBs (Deposit Money Banks) in the country to place a N50 charge on every transaction from N1,000.

In order to avoid any further confusion, here is what you need to know about the CBN’s N50 stamp duty:

1. It is an Act that was passed into law called the Stamp Duties Act 2004 and Federal Government Financial Regulations 2009, but now being implemented in 2016.

2. The Stamp Duty charge is not being imposed by the Banks, but by the Federal government through the CBN.

3. The imposition of the Stamp Duties Act at this time is to enhance the governments revenue generation drive which has become necessary due to the fall in global oil prices.

4. All receipts, whether Cash or Electronic transfers from N1000 and above into a Current account is eligible and will be charged N50 stamp duty.

5. Only Current accounts are eligible to be charged Stamp Duty on all receipts.

6. The following receipts are exempted from the imposition of Stamp Duty:

a. Deposits or Transfers made by SELF into another account in the same bank and/or other banks.
b. Any Transfers into a Savings account.
c. Any Withdrawals from a Savings account.

7. The Stamp Duty is charged only to the receiving account i.e. the account receiving the money.

8. The N50 Stamp Duty will be charged per transaction and not per volume; that is any transactions from N1,000 and above.

9. The monies collected does not belong to the Banks, but the Federal Government. The Banks are only a channel for collecting and remitting the money to the Federal Government.

10. Under the schedule to the Stamp Duty Act 2004, other exemptions specified includes payments of salaries and wages etc.

SOURCE: http://olaitankolawole.com/10-important-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-n50-stamp-duty/
I use a savings account and I was charged for stamp... I think it is being charged on every account
Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by Infinitikoncept(m): 5:43pm On Feb 22, 2016
StanbicIBTC is robbing Nigerians off on savings account claiming its stamp duty
Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by pat077: 6:50pm On Feb 22, 2016
olatpic:
As expected, many Nigerians have expressed their dissatisfaction on the announcement by CBN instructing all DMBs (Deposit Money Banks) in the country to place a N50 charge on every transaction from N1,000.

In order to avoid any further confusion, here is what you need to know about the CBN’s N50 stamp duty:

1. It is an Act that was passed into law called the Stamp Duties Act 2004 and Federal Government Financial Regulations 2009, but now being implemented in 2016.

2. The Stamp Duty charge is not being imposed by the Banks, but by the Federal government through the CBN.

3. The imposition of the Stamp Duties Act at this time is to enhance the governments revenue generation drive which has become necessary due to the fall in global oil prices.

4. All receipts, whether Cash or Electronic transfers from N1000 and above into a Current account is eligible and will be charged N50 stamp duty.

a. Deposits or Transfers made by SELF into another account in the same bank and/or other banks.

7. The Stamp Duty is charged only to the receiving account i.e. the account receiving the money.

8. The N50 Stamp Duty will be charged per transaction and not per volume; that is any transactions from N1,000 and above.

9. The monies collected does not belong to the Banks, but the Federal Government. The Banks are only a channel for collecting and remitting the money to the Federal Government.

10. Under the schedule to the Stamp Duty Act 2004, other exemptions specified includes payments of salaries and wages etc.

SOURCE: http://olaitankolawole.com/10-important-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-n50-stamp-duty/
you are wrong on 5 and 6. I use a savings account and was charge for making transaction above 1k.
Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by kuuljay(m): 7:30pm On Feb 22, 2016
Trixxxy:
I read this to mom c
She said
'Mo yi ma lo shut down current account mi yenundecidedOshi!'
grin
freaking hilarious grin grin grin mums no dey take sh!t
Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by homelyg: 8:21pm On Feb 22, 2016
This stamp duty of a thing is too much to bear.#50 is not a small charge oo.God bless our biz more.

1 Like

Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by Infoay: 9:55pm On Feb 22, 2016
Hmmmmm... it's well!
Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by H2Ossss(m): 9:58pm On Feb 22, 2016
adipemcanis1:

The issue is.....we are not earning money from oil.....so we have tolook for alterante sources of funding.

Modified.....I am really amused by some of the comments calling this extortion.Well.....here are some facts.

1.When the law was being processed in the National Assembly.....you Nigerians were busy with your videos of the latest scandal to pay attention.

2.Oil is our only source of revenue.The price has fallen. Meanwhile....you people want govt to continue feeding you....without paying. How can?

Seems like u dont understand y people are complaining, the Idea is good but we all know our country, after collecting the 50naira turned billions or trillions, it will be shared btw 5 people who will now store the money in their suck away or GP tanks.... what happend to all the money gotten when oil was above 100 dolls /barrel.... my bro they aint trying to feed us, just looking fr more money to steal.

2 Likes

Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by EverestdeBliu(m): 10:02pm On Feb 22, 2016
cheesy
Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by Rick9(m): 11:00pm On Feb 22, 2016
Criminals will remain criminals.
Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by LLVelly: 11:26pm On Feb 22, 2016
This z the CHANGE we yarned for
Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by Anextin(f): 6:15am On Feb 23, 2016
If it's just for current account holders, then the banks are overdoing it. I have been charged same duty stamp on my savings account n when I questioned them I was told it's for all accounts. Sure, it's all fed Govt, but why savings also. Guess the banks are not saying the truth. Wish I have time n energy to storm the branch n demand for explanations.
Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by DanielGb(m): 6:51am On Feb 23, 2016
Good for FG revenue. but I still want tax payment should depend on amount of earning or business income/profit or worth.

Look at this, I withdrew #50,000 from my C.account. Mallam Danjuma withdrew #5,000,000 and we are both charge #50 Naira. Who pay more? Me. Who dem dey cheat? me. Why? because i withdrew at low capital. This people are only protecting there interest.

Walahi Nigerian's never see the future o.

1 Like

Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by olatpic(m): 7:48am On Feb 23, 2016
olatpic:

UPDATE:

Now, here is a general and quick answer to some of the issues and questions that have been raised by many people here.

It is wrong for any Bank to charge a Savings or Salary account! The Banks are simply giving it their own interpretations.

But if you've been charged, write (or visit) your bank to inform them of the anomaly. If they fail to revert the charge(s) after one week...report them to CBN.

PS: There has been cases of people whose Savings account was charged just like many others here but reverted back within a week.

PPS: You can report any excessive and illegal charges by banks to the Director, Consumer Protection Department of CBN; email: cpd@cbn.gov.ng
Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by Engrr(m): 7:59am On Feb 23, 2016
:@OP! Thanks for this info, am rushing to UBA now to ask for reversal.
.........Them dey Craze?

2 Likes

Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by bankybobo11: 8:34am On Feb 23, 2016
Some people in England pay up to almost half of their salaries as tax. That is why they take elections serious. They want to believe they are in charge of who is piloting the taxpayers' money. I wouldn't be enraged if our government used these taxes diplomatically.

Out of over 160 million people living in Nigeria, let's say just 3 million make transactions every 2 working days. That's about 500 naira in a month. That's roughly 1.5 billion naira from just 3 million taxpayers, let alone others who perform minor/major transactions.

Still, we won't have electric power 24/7, our roads will still be bad, our schools will still be dilapidated, our counterparts in the North will still be begged to come to school and our government officials will still be earning exorbitant salaries.

We need miracle. Even if oil price rises again, what's the assurance that they will stop collecting stamp duties? Our senators pay 50 naira, same as someone who is barely earning the minimum wage.

1 Like

Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by mamawin(f): 8:51am On Feb 23, 2016
wiringdpt:
And is buhari responsible?
I won't say buhari is. but let them look for money elsewhere
Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by Maureenlucy(f): 8:58am On Feb 23, 2016
If the stamp duty is only 4 Current acct, why did Stanbic IBTC deducted #50 4rm my savings acct?
Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by ADEBAYOKS(m): 9:50am On Feb 23, 2016
Now is clear. If the money is put to use for the benefit of all no one will complain.
Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by Nobody: 1:30pm On Feb 23, 2016
olatpic:
It is wrong! Write your bank to inform them of the anomaly. If they fail to revert the charge(s) after one week...report them to CBN.

NB: There has been cases of people whose Savings account was charged just like yours but reverted back within a week.

Stanbic bank is claiming that the stamp duty is to be charged on all account types.
Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by mimee9(f): 7:49pm On Feb 07, 2017
I have a savings account with diamond bank they've deducted 900 naira for this stamp duty
Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by demiiii(f): 3:55am On Mar 14, 2020
GTBANK HAS BEEN DEDUCTING N50 AND N100 STAMP DUTY CHARGE FROM MY SAVINGS ACCOUNT EVERY DAY. GTBANK IS CRAZY. WHAT CAN I DO BECAUSE I ALREADY COMPLAINED.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

PIX. See What Thieves Did To My Laptop / Phone Shop. / 17-Year-Old Prosperity Olorunfemi Is Now A Millionaire (Photo) / Man In Suit Selling Egg & Noodles In Lagos (Pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.