Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,795 members, 7,810,073 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:02 PM

'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo (60283 Views)

Buhari To Travel Tonight For Medical Followup. VP To Takeover / Obasanjo Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As Buhari's Running Mate, But He Refused - Bakare / Former Presidents, VP's To Get A Car From Buhari In 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by seunmsg(m): 10:33am On Feb 20, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

First of all, the supervision of Budget implementation that is vested on the Budget office has been moved to the National Planning Ministry/Commission by virtue of moving the budget office to the ministry from finance ministry.

Secondly, her job as finance minister is basically to come up with fiscal plan that will take Nigeria from her present comatose state. Unfortunately, we have neither seen any plan from her. I watched her budget defence and bros, it wasn't impressive I must confess.

Thirdly, I don't know why you brought in tribal narrative into this conversation because last time I check, Wale Edun, the finance commissioner that served Governor Bola Tinubu is a Yorubaman from Ogun state, and he did well.

Formulating the national budget is the duty of the budget office but once it becomes an appropriation act, it is the duty of the finance ministry to source for the needed funds and release the funds to MDA'S based on the budget. The finance minister signs the warrant and orders the Accountant General to do the cash backing and not the budget office. So far so good, I don't think she has failed in doing the above.

Secondly, agreed it is the duty of the finance minister to come up with fiscal policies for the country, but again, what exactly is fiscal policy? Fiscal policy is the policy that guides the administration of taxes and revenue generation in the country. Simply put, fiscal policies are geared towards raising the needed funds to carry out government projects and also as a tool for correcting social imbalance. So far so good, she has done well in this area. For the first time in Nigeria, a budget of N6trillion was proposed in a period of serious shortage in oil revenue. We have a proposal whereby taxes and internally generated revenue will fund over 50% of the budget. If that is not a success in fiscal policy formulation, I don't know what it is. You may argue that the budget is yet to be implemented, but the fact is, she has set a big target for herself. Why not let's give her a chance to implement this budget before we crucify her.

Bringing in the tribal narrative is inevitable. The narrative from her haters is that the south west is trying to create their own NOI so therefore, the wailers from the south east must bring her down at all cost even when she's done nothing wrong.

Finally, I will ask you again, name just one of the current ministers that has performed wonderfully well in the past three months of their inauguration?

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by PoliticalThuG(m): 10:43am On Feb 20, 2016
seunmsg:

Why did you think Adeosun is not fit to be the finance minister? Did you come to this conclusion as a result of her performance so far in the last three months or you are going with the skewed and bigoted narratives of the wailers from south east who are desperately trying to bring her down due to the failures of NOI?

In terms of the core duties of a finance minister, can you mention one area where she has failed so far since her appointment?

Of all the ministers in the current cabinet, can you mention just one who has so far performed excellently well?

Seriously, I don't understand why some people have continued to repeat this narrative that Kemi is not doing well, she only came on board three months ago and the first budget that she will implement is still before the National assembly for consideration. Why all these unnecessary criticism?
$1 = 400 naira

13 Likes

Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by seunmsg(m): 10:50am On Feb 20, 2016
PoliticalThuG:
$1 = 400 naira

What's the job of Emefiele?

12 Likes

Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by PoliticalThuG(m): 10:58am On Feb 20, 2016
seunmsg:

What's the job of Emefiele?
dead naira + budget of shame = Adeosun.

The idiot has failed already.
Just shut up and bury ur head in shame

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by BLS1: 11:09am On Feb 20, 2016
simplycarro:

Which election are you talking about and which election was baba talking about in the book?

The same election OBJs book was talikg about- the 2011 election that Jonathan unfortunately won.

I can easily say unfortunately now because of the way the economy has gone and all the savings that could have been made in those 4 years that are now in all sorts of people personal pockets.

2 Likes

Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by cckris: 11:17am On Feb 20, 2016
WISE DECISION of one of the most competent Economic Managers on earth today.

1 Like

Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by explorer250(m): 11:29am On Feb 20, 2016
seunmsg:

Formulating the national budget is the duty of the budget office but once it becomes an appropriation act, it is the duty of the finance ministry to source for the needed funds and release the funds to MDA'S based on the budget. The finance minister signs the warrant and orders the Accountant General to do the cash backing and not the budget office. So far so good, I don't think she has failed in doing the above.

Secondly, agreed it is the duty of the finance minister to come up with fiscal policies for the country, but again, what exactly is fiscal policy? Fiscal policy is the policy that guides the administration of taxes and revenue generation in the country. Simply put, fiscal policies are geared towards raising the needed funds to carry out government projects and also as a tool for correcting social imbalance. So far so good, she has done well in this area. For the first time in Nigeria, a budget of N6trillion was proposed in a period of serious shortage in oil revenue. We have a proposal whereby taxes and internally generated revenue will fund over 50% of the budget. If that is not a success in fiscal policy formulation, I don't know what it is. You may argue that the budget is yet to be implemented, but the fact is, she has set a big target for herself. Why not let's give her a chance to implement this budget before we crucify her.

Bringing in the tribal narrative is inevitable. The narrative from her haters is that the south west is trying to create their own NOI so therefore, the wailers from the south east must bring her down at all cost even when she's done nothing wrong.

Finally, I will ask you again, name just one of the current ministers that has performed wonderfully well in the past three months of their inauguration?

why can't you just accept that you guys are not good managers? what happened to those companies that met their water loo in the hands of you guys after the indigenization policy? we guys are better than you lots just accept that. it is something in our( both tribes) blood. one is good in economics while the other is not. if you wail to thy kingdom come honest people knows this fact

14 Likes

Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by SLIDEwaxie(m): 11:33am On Feb 20, 2016
Brilliance9000:
Ngozi is no fool...she knows whom to serve with. Obasanjo, Jonathan...yes. Buhari...No...he still a dictator, won't listen to advice!
lol..that wasn't the plot. NOI is corrupt and unless a strong leader is there that will curb her. She will agree to Jonathan whose penchant for CORRUPTION and abetting it is second to none.
HiddenShadow:
Have you guys observed that whenever the useless ethno religious bigots are in a financial mess, they turn to the most hated tribe( Igbo) for a solution out of the mess they created.
common sense is not really common. the CBN govnr is no more from ur aide, abi?

why did u think OBJ suggested she served alongside buhari? why did u think she rejected the offer?

if u dnt knw, google why she was removed by OBJ as the chairman if economic team during the Paris club debt relief saga. of course, she wasn't alone in the CORRUPTION case, she inflated her allowance and commission.. if u dnt knw, the case was even taken to court before being removed.

so, think before u post.

now. abt them bailing them out...what do u think NOI will do in this type of situation when the price is crude oil is $30/barrel? She couldn't even save and avert the crashing future when the price was at $150/barrel? of course, her first statement as an advice to buhari was to increase VAT and increase TAX...so much for a brained god of the eastern morons!

buhari hasn't increase the TAX or VAT, and he has even reduced the price of petrol after not paying the trillions of subsidies they paid with increased pump price every year.

your senses have eluded you...import another UK used!

14 Likes

Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by cckris: 11:33am On Feb 20, 2016
Ngozi Chukwu ka That's her full Blessed name
Bringing in the tribal narrative is inevitable. The narrative from her HATERS in the South West are trying to create their own,

who fell down from the skies long ago, in their children story book history.

Please don't laugh o

2 Likes

Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by SLIDEwaxie(m): 11:34am On Feb 20, 2016
PoliticalThuG:
$1 = 400 naira
crude oil is $30/barrel.

7 Likes

Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by SLIDEwaxie(m): 11:38am On Feb 20, 2016
explorer250:

why can't you just accept that you guys are not good managers? what happened to those companies that met their water loo in the hands of you guys after the indigenization policy? we guys are better than you lots just accept that. it is something in our( both tribes) blood. one is good in economics while the other is not. if you wail to thy kingdom come honest people knows this fact
CBN govnr is a good manager. his policies have so much helped.

Jonathan/NOI were a team of good manager. At $150/barrel...we were said to be broke with no tangible savings for the future.

in fact: whenever that team proposed to remove subsidy, it is automatic increase in pump price, no?

but now, subsidies are not paid, pump price reduced.

some set of people are nothing but corrupt managers!!!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by repogirl(f): 11:56am On Feb 20, 2016
Even baba knows madam NOI is the best there is, but she is no one's puppet!

1 Like

Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by Ijaya123: 11:59am On Feb 20, 2016
HiddenShadow:
Have you guys observed that whenever the useless ethno religious bigots are in a financial mess, they turn to the most hated tribe( Igbo) for a solution out of the mess they created.

The current CBN governor is from where?

7 Likes

Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by obailala(m): 12:00pm On Feb 20, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
As Coordinating minister of the Economy under Jonathan, Iwaela was mthe defacto prime minister. Under her watch, the oil price was at all time high but nothin came out. Reserve was depleted, ECA was depleted(thanks to Govs), yet we had no infrastructure on ground to boost our economy. NOI kept rollin out figures and statistics that had no reflection in reality. I think she should be allowed to rest.

As for Adeosun, I think she isn't fit enough for the job of finance minister. Maybe she assume that her british tongue is enough to handle Nigeria economy.

I'll sugest that Buhari hire the former commissioner of finance that served under Tinubu or any home-grown professional.
OBJ made a very good point, NOI has her weaknesses and she needs a very focused and discipline boss to cover up those flaws. Are you aware that in every area where NOI failed under GEJ, it was the exact opposite when she worked under OBJ?

All the achievements which gave NOI her fame was achieved when she worked under OBJ, from digging Nigeria out of the mud and placing her on the world economic map, clearing off debts in billions of dollars, increasing the nation's savings/reserves by over 1000% at a time when oil prices were lower, pushing Nigeria's GDP growth rate from 2% to a record 6-7%, creating a robust middle class etc. It's obvious she's good at what she does but she needs to be managed by someone strong, obviously not a GEJ, cos she apparently reversed all her achievements when she worked with GEJ.

6 Likes

Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by orakao8: 12:03pm On Feb 20, 2016
KEEP DREAMING
orisa37:
That's before we settled for PYO. Now. PYO is doing fine and Tinubu won't stop terrorizing the system, why not persuade PMB, PYO, NOI AND KEMI to agree to bring in NOI as Minister of Finance and allow KEMI become the CBN GOVERNOR. With Hilary in the U.S. blazing the lead, who knows what God might do in Nigeria come 2019.
Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by Bede2u(m): 12:04pm On Feb 20, 2016
seunmsg:

Why did you think Adeosun is not fit to be the finance minister? Did you come to this conclusion as a result of her performance so far in the last three months or you are going with the skewed and bigoted narratives of the wailers from south east who are desperately trying to bring her down due to the failures of NOI?

In terms of the core duties of a finance minister, can you mention one area where she has failed so far since her appointment?

Of all the ministers in the current cabinet, can you mention just one who has so far performed excellently well?

Seriously, I don't understand why some people have continued to repeat this narrative that Kemi is not doing well, she only came on board three months ago and the first budget that she will implement is still before the National assembly for consideration. Why all these unnecessary criticism?

If you don't thhink this budget issue is a big dent on her reign then I don't know what to tell you. For your info, the ministries of Finance and planning are the two most important in budget formulation and by extention, policy making. So yes she has not performed well and we can say that even after "three months"

2 Likes

Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by Anjelus(m): 12:04pm On Feb 20, 2016
HiddenShadow:

Unfortunately the Yoruba woman brain don shut down on what to do.
Pls what tribe is the present CBN governor? Stupid tribal bigots.

5 Likes

Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by seunmsg(m): 12:10pm On Feb 20, 2016
Bede2u:

If you don't thhink this budget issue is a big dent on her reign then I don't know what to tell you. For your info, the ministries of Finance and planning are the two most important in budget formulation and by extention, policy making. So yes she has not performed well and we can say that even after "three months"

Budget preparation is the responsibility of the budget office under the supervision of ministry of budget and national planning. How many times are we going to repeat this simple fact to you guys before you get it?

If you want another casualty for the budget mess after the sack of the DG budget office, call for the head of the minister of budget and planning.

5 Likes

Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by chigoizie7(m): 12:11pm On Feb 20, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
As Coordinating minister of the Economy under Jonathan, Iwaela was mthe defacto prime minister. Under her watch, the oil price was at all time high but nothin came out. Reserve was depleted, ECA was depleted(thanks to Govs), yet we had no infrastructure on ground to boost our economy. NOI kept rollin out figures and statistics that had no reflection in reality. I think she should be allowed to rest.

As for Adeosun, I think she isn't fit enough for the job of finance minister. Maybe she assume that her british tongue is enough to handle Nigeria economy.

I'll sugest that Buhari hire the former commissioner of finance that served under Tinubu or any home-grown professional.

Mtcheew.

When u think some people have sense, it just turns out to be d same as goats.

2 Likes

Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by basty: 12:11pm On Feb 20, 2016
simplycarro:

Which election are you talking about and which election was baba talking about in the book?

Good judgement
Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by Btruth: 12:12pm On Feb 20, 2016
Is Ngosi from APC nii? A bi kilo nse Baba yii gan self?
Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by ohenhen1: 12:12pm On Feb 20, 2016
Good thing Buhari didn't listen to him.
Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by EZENDDIGBO(m): 12:14pm On Feb 20, 2016
missioner:
It would have been worse.
how did you know sir, has she not being successful in other countries and her country? We shouldn't castigate what we have not yet known.
Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by simplycarro: 12:15pm On Feb 20, 2016
Ngozi Okonjo Iweala is an overhyped Buffon.
She and Jonathan caused the economic decay of the present. #FACT is stubborn
She has been part of the economy since Baba years and she has FAILED woefully

2 Likes

Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by Charly68: 12:16pm On Feb 20, 2016
When an elder gave a kindid advice and you say he does not anything,who is a bigger fool here.? Ngozi simply knew that he won't have the liberty of free hands as she did in mismanaging our economy during Ebele's tenure..they left & that is why are seeing the mess they covered up. Look at the billions upon billions that individuals diverted into their pockets ..yet somebody want us to believe the woman is an economic expert. ".Expert ko,Experte ni "

1 Like

Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by Kangol99(m): 12:17pm On Feb 20, 2016
Okay
Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by Nobody: 12:20pm On Feb 20, 2016
It would have been a better match because Buhari is a discipline man, he will fight with corrupt personnel while okonjo on the other hand will build the economic of the country based on her wild experience

2 Likes

Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by chaberry(m): 12:20pm On Feb 20, 2016
Baba iyabo
Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by EZENDDIGBO(m): 12:20pm On Feb 20, 2016
Brilliance9000:
Ngozi is no fool...she knows whom to serve with. Obasanjo, Jonathan...yes. Buhari...No...he still a dictator, won't listen to advice!
you may be right somehow,he may not or won't listens to her advise but if that advise is 200% guaranteed, am sure cos buhari is a rational human, he will definitely Hearken to such advised. This outcome is a matter of probability.
Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by jmand(m): 12:22pm On Feb 20, 2016
The letters over there was too small, I can't read it. What does this old man saying inside this paper?
Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by Bennyschools(m): 12:22pm On Feb 20, 2016
Iweala and Gej are two people Nigerians do no deserve. They are too simple and gentle that our nature will make us abuse. Education and knowledge has a way of brushing people up. Look at our history of presidents, the educated ones like Yaradua and Gej see how they were

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Stanley Lawson Purchased Le-Meridien Hotel In Port Harcourt For Diezani -SaharaR / Bola Tinubu's 6 Children: Oluwaseyi, Habibat, Folashade, Jide, Zainab, Olayinka / List Of States Yet To Get Ministerial Nominees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.