Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,158 members, 7,829,128 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:55 PM

Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names (12951 Views)

Would You Marry a Spouse like your Father or Mother? / Guys, Would You Like Your Wife To Call You Daddy? / Guys, Do You Pray To Marry A Woman Like Your Mother? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by bawomolo(m): 1:32am On Jul 13, 2009
I see nothing wrong naming a child after ifa or sango.

esudamola na name too.
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by Nobody: 1:46am On Jul 13, 2009
Nothing wrong with it and likewise nothing wrong with the child deciding to change any such name as soon as he or she can legally do so.
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by 4peace(m): 5:32am On Jul 13, 2009
When are you guys going to appreciate your own.
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by Beaf: 7:11am On Jul 13, 2009
Justus ed: we are indeed the giant of Africa in bearing the wierdiest of names. imagine sb answering Diesel power as a name, Nigerians just name dia kids anything that comes to their mind! na waoh!!!!!
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
. . .And the name is. . . Justus. . . Notin spoil
It will be very good if you can 'join' another yeye one like Macilinus.

Nkem, Obi and Ifeanyi are better.
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by mayrho(m): 9:11am On Jul 13, 2009
African names
I love my names and African names
they have meaning
they remind us of our origin
they give us hope when we are down

Foreign names
Most people who give themselves foreign names don't know the meaning

Cool names
you can shorten it to sound cool if you are bothered by complex the main reason why our economy is stagnant why we would buy foreign stuff instead of Nigerian ones

May God help us all

Peace am out
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by Nezan(m): 9:33am On Jul 13, 2009
4peace:

When are you guys going to appreciate your own.
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by SegzyJoe(m): 10:07am On Jul 13, 2009
@whiteroses
I think you are foolish enough to come to this forum where you know majority of the people here are Nigerians to insult the sensiility of our people for not naming our children names that suit your hegemonic and colonial masters' mentality. I am sure you like those wonderful Greek, Rissian, German names, I know you would prefer "Sanjo" having such ridiculous names as "Wood" "Stone" " Gate" so that his girlfriend will marry him.

Names in every culture is a reflection of the entirety of a people's culture, language and civilization, is it not good enough that white Europeans gave Africans strange names and artificial borders, yet they still want us to name our children European's names for them to feel cool with us.

Shouldn't our names reflect the reality of our own existence and identity? Or should I name my child "Stone" a name that has nothing to do with what I cherish as a person. Shouldn't my name reflect my values? It is a pity and unfortunate for those black Africans that could not read Whiteroses handwriting as a plot to debase our common identity and humanity. If I could guess right, he's telling us that except we changed our names and have Europeans names we won't be acceptable in Europe. That's why brainwashed people like him are changing their name everyday, I wonder if they can also change their blackness.
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by Profkenny1(m): 11:09am On Jul 13, 2009
My people, it doesn't have to be white to be right, let's try to appreciate ourselves and stop the three C's(Condemn,Complain and Criticize) common with Africans especially Nigerians.
@agaba123, I gbadun you jare, keep it up.
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by papaejima: 12:06pm On Jul 13, 2009
@shesi, here we go again.the last thread was not about names and i never made fun of ghanian names,rather i told u that i had a very sensible and cool girfriend when i was in ghana.trying to tell lies about me wont help either me or u,and above all,i have far too many things on my plate right now to start all over with u.i actually remember that u and ur group of clowns on that thread insulted nigeria and wrote all types of imaginable evils about how nigeria is underdeveloped and how we live in abject poverty.i wonder why with all the hatred u have for lousy and loud nigerians who come to ghana and disrespect ghanian women,u are still on nigerian forum. give me a break!, i told u then that if u are the type of ghanians that i knew initally,i would have thought that the whole ghanians are fools. and u have just proved me right one more time by lying against me. if u must know,it is mainly in nigeria and ghana that u will find africans who take pride in bearing english names. so if u can go back to that thread,about ghanian govt wooeing nigerian investors,u will find out that u are simply lying and i just wonder why u have to lie over a small issue like that.
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by ifyalways(f): 12:09pm On Jul 13, 2009
I love all of my names and bear it with pride.Wont interchange or shorten it for anything in da world.
wonder what makes a name weird sha undecided the fact that u cant pronounce it,dont know what it means or
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by papaejima: 12:16pm On Jul 13, 2009
@akigbemaru, now what do u want?  grin grin    i guess that u still wants to talk to me.okay,if u want to be friendly,u can get in touch.i have all manners of friends all over the globe.as for sentiments,that is one thing that i have lil of in my wharehouse. i call everything down the line no matter whose ox is gored. if my mother is wrong and thinks that i will be on her side,she got it all wrong. u need to know me and how i behave. the issue of Biafra is not one that we should bring here cos you know that am very passionate about that,yet i have to be above board in everything.i told u that it wont help us if we go ahead insulting each other on a subject that concerns all nigerians,no matter how u want to hide.by the way,ur last post on that topic was very unlike u. i never thought that u could think like that (or did u copy it frm someone? just kidding). and for that thoughtful and insightful posting,i forgive u all ur sins.
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by papaejima: 12:33pm On Jul 13, 2009
@cvibe, shesi is lying through his teeth and the whole pple on that thread can bear me witness that i never said a thing like that. i have too many ghanian friends to make fun of their names. is this guy just trying to annoy me,or does he want smething differnt from me? there is this ghanian lady that lives in the same town with me and we have been very good friends for a long time. her name is Abuna (the spelling may be wrong),bt i call her "Abuna baby" . it was the same way that shesi and his group distorted the story of what happened in the central bank of ghana and blamed it on nigerians and alluded that nigerians were depositing fake dollars in the bank of ghana.what is wrong with that swine? i can well order anyone to leave my house and it has nothing to do with him.why is he all over me,am not a woman bru,take ur gay ass somewhere away from me. am getting sick of ur sick talks and insuniations and false accusations. VAI-TE FODE CARALHO.
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by 2tait: 1:51pm On Jul 13, 2009
whiteroses. president. director. power. destiny. praise. bomboy. cow. goat. chicken. mercedes. governor. etc.

all na name. as the name is, so shall the child be! otito

n/b: if the person vez, when im grow up, let him funkify the name. na im choice
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by kokoye(m): 3:14pm On Jul 13, 2009
I know a medical doctor with the last name 'Oridota' back when I was still in Ibadan. Oridota means 'the brain is dead'. He is also married to a medical doctor. So imagine this:

Dr. and Dr. (Mrs) Oridota and family.

Would you blame them for wanting to change their last name?
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by MP007(m): 6:43pm On Jul 13, 2009
wonders shall never end, hehehe, i almost fell off the chair, gotta laugh some more, lollll, omg! jesus.gbeshumi?? what da?
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by ilosiwaju: 8:01pm On Jul 13, 2009
@poster
if you are Nigerian, you are well forgive cos u be part of us. but if you are otherwise then you have a problem
what is the meaning of brown as in gordon brown, bush as in george bush, milliband, stone, pitt, jolie, clooney, rushdie, woods etc.
Nigerian names? what of mugabe, mbeki, ghadafi, kwame, mensah etc? u know the meanings?
I hate these hypocrites!
angry
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by Ikhuoria: 11:19pm On Jul 13, 2009
Omo i look una laff!

This rebranding wey dem dey talk,una ney dey hia ba?nepa take unu lite?

Our names are our uniqueness.imagine a calabar man call paulinus johnbull?does he sound nigerian?or ben bruce?
i love niger delta names.
my guy in school was called Tamunosinambia Sobibara Kariboye Amachree III and he was proud of it.my ex is called chioyenedue.one of my friends is called uromiamenimenomenorewe translated from ishan to mean 'if uromi is good for me,its good for all of us'.
Thats not to say some names arent off sha.
but still our names are our identity!!!!
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by agabaI23(m): 12:04am On Jul 14, 2009
Ikhuoria:

Omo i look una laff!

Our names are our uniqueness.imagine a calabar man call paulinus johnbull?does he sound nigerian?or ben bruce?
my guy in school was called Tamunosinambia Sobibara Kariboye Amachree III and he was proud of it.my ex is called chioyenedue.one of my friends is called uromiamenimenomenorewe translated from ishan to mean 'if uromi is good for me,its good for all of us'.
This is dangerous to the tongue. Having said that, it is his name!
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by bluespice(f): 1:58am On Jul 14, 2009
Ikhuoria:

Omo i look una laff!

i take it they still have surnames?
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by Bamsyle(m): 10:52am On Jul 14, 2009
Hehe . . . names like Finecountry, LongJohn, Goodluck crack me up . . . but like some posters have noted, it's not applicable to Nigeria alone . . . talking about sounds, how do Chinese names like Chong Hu, Jin Chang, etc sound??

You can open and close your mouth within 2 seconds and a Chinese name has been created . . . it's prolly cos they're too many and need to save time . . . grin
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by agabaI23(m): 12:45pm On Jul 14, 2009
A joke poked at the chinese has it that when they want to name a child, the chinese an empty metallic can down a staircaseand listen to the sound it will make.

If it sounds chinchanchon, then they name the child chin chan chon.

Those are still their official names even if they answer spencer as easy to pronouce names. They are still known by it.
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by Shuku: 4:26pm On Jul 14, 2009
Well,I don't think that Sanjo's such a bad name.I mean compared with names like Mainroad,Peculiar,JWonder,Jesujinde (Jesus rose from the dead),Obama. Well maybe the Obama was actually named after PRESIDENT OBAMA.It still doesn't make sense to me.Obama probably has got a meaning in the guy's native tongue,so why dump yours and hang onto his.This naming thing is peculiar to some people from a particular part of OUR GREAT COUNTRY.I also think that those Chinese names some peeps mentioned should have a meaning in their own language
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by spicy007(f): 5:23pm On Jul 14, 2009
in answer to the Q, Yes i like my full name and No, Nigerians dont have funny names.
Funny is relative.
Guaranteed, some names can be over-the-top but i believe that goes for all the other languages, tibes, nationalities and countries also,
the poster just hasnt bothered to find out.
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by davidif: 8:00pm On Jul 14, 2009
This is one of the dumbest posts i've ever read in my life. angry angry angry angry angry. No worry i know blame una, na colo mentality they worry all of una.
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by Nobody: 9:23pm On Jul 14, 2009
I think its about time Africans freed themselves from their oppressors.

No, not the govt and not white people. There are other oppressors hiding as ordinary people and pretending to speak for them but who in reality are only trying to impose fascism. They're only "angry" because they're jealous and want control.
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by wanitas(f): 10:54pm On Jul 14, 2009
@ post, Nairaland, wat wil someone not hear?
funny, my sis always says, if people have a difficulty pronouncing ur name, retain the name, then become rich, famous etc and then u'l notice that everyone will pronounce ur name right, lol, talk of motivation to make it,
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by sley4life(m): 5:38am On Jul 15, 2009
i love my 1st& last name,
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by nigeriaon(f): 4:29pm On Jul 15, 2009
well i believe NIGERIAN names always have a meaning and reason attached to it before a parents name their child by that particular name,

its just unfortunate that this would only lead to a graduall loss of our CULTURAL HERITAGE,

sad

sad
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by doncox: 10:08pm On Jul 15, 2009
So much for names. It's a global wahala. I have friends with weird names like: ACTIVITY, IMMUNE, DOCTOR, MANAGER, GOLD, MONEY, DIAMOND, LIGHT, etc. What's in a name? A name is just an identity. We can only raise eyebrows when it connotes negative traits that may stigmatize a child. Some parents have been denied child custody or santioned for giving their children inappropraite names. A couple in Germany named their child Osama Bin Laden. The names' registry took exception to such outlandish name capable of causing discrimination against the child. Here in Niaja, u can even name ur child Satan, who cares?
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by IFELEKE(m): 12:24pm On Jul 16, 2009
I love my 5 names(surname inclusive) but I really won't blame people for hating their names, some parents slam ridiculous names on their siblings, for example, names like Orimidupa,oletubo,agbabiaka,apanisile etc are embarassing names and i really pity peeps who go by those names.
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by homegirl1: 4:12pm On Jul 16, 2009
yoruba names and urhobo names are too long unlike Hausas and igbos with short names.
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by rabboni777: 9:20pm On Jul 16, 2009
when we talk about names, have you all ever wondered where and how black americans come up with their names, lol, most of the names makes no sense and has no meaning whatsoever, examples are taquesha, makiya, tyree, shaniqua, etc these just makes no sense, so i'll say if our nigerian names has a meaning to it, we are blessed. my black american inlaws loves my nigerian name and childrens arabic names, cos they have meanings. let's be proud of what we have, just don't over do it, especially the ibos and yoruba's, some names are just too long for the child to even spell , lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Should We Really Ignore Dysfunctional Families? / My Wife Just Doesn't Want To Bond And Grow With Me / Would You Marry Someone Out Of Pity?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.