Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,358 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:24 PM

Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names (12940 Views)

Would You Marry a Spouse like your Father or Mother? / Guys, Would You Like Your Wife To Call You Daddy? / Guys, Do You Pray To Marry A Woman Like Your Mother? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by bluespice(f): 2:37am On Jul 12, 2009
lol shouldnt she should have corrected him
its not his fault na undecided
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by chiogo(f): 2:41am On Jul 12, 2009
@Bluespice, Yeah, she gets angry easily.

oyinda.:

gosh i love that name olaoluwa  tongue but i bet it must be very tricky for non-yorubas to pronounce.
For some reason, I'm good with pronouncing names of most races/ethnic groups. That's why it pains me why people can't do the same when it comes to my name. sad grin
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by Nobody: 2:43am On Jul 12, 2009
oyinda.:

gosh i love that name olaoluwa  tongue but i bet it must be very tricky for non-yorubas to pronounce.

@gator, i've seen a couple of really long names that couldn't even fit into the student ID. they just cut it off 'cause it's too long or they reduce the font dramatically. trust me it will make u feel better abt your situation. well, it makes me feel better lol
nah, your student ID is not your full name. Its a name that you use to sign into anything from the school. It's your username for school email.
I mademy student  ID  very short, still Nigerian but very pronouncable. grin
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by oyinda3(f): 2:44am On Jul 12, 2009
oh. I thought you meant student ID card.
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by bluespice(f): 2:46am On Jul 12, 2009
she doesnt have an excuse jare angry

the most annoying bit is when nigerians either cant or pretend not to be able to pronounce honestly easy names

im like bitch pls, its (for example) FUNKE
not FOON-KEI angry
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by na2day2(m): 3:28am On Jul 12, 2009
bluespice:

na2day u carry urself come here too?

na wa!

na any where u lead i go follow grin grin grin

whiteroses:

she is my cousin bisi can we not start talking about pictures though . respect seun site lol

as seun no get fine picture make we enjoy the one wey we get na wink wink wink u can also check me and my lovely wife's pic on my profile grin grin grin
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by bluespice(f): 4:10am On Jul 12, 2009
lol that picture cracks me up each time grin
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by akigbemaru: 4:17am On Jul 12, 2009
@Papaejima
You are the reason I pardoned all the Biafrans on this posting. I read through your comment and I didn’t see any sentiment attached to it. So, I will like to congratulate all Biafrans in general for not getting any expletive from me this time.

Common, you are a damn liar, nobody in your school bears that name. You heard it from this sycophant “Sunny” and Idiot “Okogwu, MEANING sycophant-idiot Sunny Okogwu.” Who is he? Definitely nobody!
He said because Wole Soyinka had long and grey white hair, he’s not from Nigeria; and Obasanjo is not from Nigeria, because Sanjo in Igbo means something different.
I would tell him, those two people he had picked; he was messing with a wrong crew.

Where he at when Wole Soyinka won the Noble prize “one of a kind in the whole Africa? Soyinka is celebrating all around the world. If you school in USA you must learn Literature and get to know him more, you will see majority of African arts and caricatures on the walls written mostly by him.

Where he at when Obasanjo a.k.a incestuous Gorilla won presidency twice – a phenomenon! I don’t like Obasanjo but y’all want to make me start praising him.

Thanks to IBB for marrying his sister, the sycophant would have died wretchedly.
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by akigbemaru: 4:19am On Jul 12, 2009
@Papaejima
You are the reason I pardoned all the Biafrans on this posting. I read through your comment and I didn’t see any sentiment attached to it. So, I will like to congratulate all Biafrans in general for not getting any expletive from me this time.

Common, you are a damn liar, nobody in your school bears that name. You heard it from this sycophant “Sunny” and Idiot “Okogwu, MEANING sycophant-idiot Sunny Okogwu.” Who is he? Definitely nobody! He said because Wole Soyinka had long and grey white hair, he’s not from Nigeria; and Obasanjo is not from Nigeria, because Sanjo in Igbo means something different.
I would tell him, those two people he had picked; he was messing with a wrong crew.
Where he at when Wole Soyinka won the Noble prize “one of a kind in the whole Africa? Soyinka is celebrating all around the world. If you school in USA you must learn Literature and get to know him more, you will see majority of African arts and caricatures on the walls written mostly by him.
Where he at when Obasanjo a.k.a incestuous Gorilla won presidency twice – a phenomenon! I don’t like Obasanjo but y’all want to make me start praising him.

Thanks to IBB for marrying his sister, the sycophant would have died wretchedly.

@Tpia, FL Gators, whiteroses, Osisi, DEDE1, MrCrackles, Asha80 and all other Biafran solders who always like to kick it like judos with me. I never see all your comments; because you always blame Yorubas for anything that happens to you and I know your gimmick right now. I just want y’all to read my comment and respond so that if you make me mad? We can start all over again. I never used any slur because of Papaejima.
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by oyinda3(f): 4:22am On Jul 12, 2009
lol. u're posting in the wrong topic dear.
but your post is a bit relevant to the topic though - with the meaning of Sanjo and all. what coincidence.
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by Nobody: 4:26am On Jul 12, 2009
You must have typed my name by accident.

I understand MrCrackles' name being there. He's always being mention for God knows what grin grin

akigbemaru:

Obasanjo a.k.a incestuous Gorilla
rotflmao grin grin
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by sosisi(f): 4:31am On Jul 12, 2009
akigbemaru:

@Papaejima

Common, you are a damn liar, nobody in your school bears that name. You heard it from this sycophant “Sunny” and Idiot “Okogwu, MEANING sycophant-idiot Sunny Okogwu.” Who is he? Definitely nobody! He said because Wole Soyinka had long and grey white hair, he’s not from Nigeria; and Obasanjo is not from Nigeria, because Sanjo in Igbo means something different.

@Tpia, FL Gators, whiteroses, Osisi, DEDE1, MrCrackles, Asha80 and all other Biafran solders who always like to kick it like judos with me. I never see all your comments; because you always blame Yorubas for anything that happens to you and I know your gimmick right now. I just want y’all to read my comment and respond so that if you make me mad? We can start all over again. I never used any slur because of Papaejima.

what is this?
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by Nobody: 4:42am On Jul 12, 2009
who is this akigbemaru?

is he hallucinating ?

@ topic

someone named their kid esupofo?  

why not ota iba yomi olorun ni oje which is a proper Yoruba name and the bearer commonly goes by Yomi- the abbreviated form, or Abayomi.
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by oyinda3(f): 4:55am On Jul 12, 2009
tpia.:

why not ota iba yomi olorun ni oje which is a proper Yoruba name and the bearer commonly goes by Yomi- the abbreviated form, or Abayomi.

what the. . . 
that's a full sentence not a name. ah some parents are wicked o
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by Nobody: 4:58am On Jul 12, 2009
oyinda.:

what the. . . 
that's a full sentence not a name. ah some parents are wicked o

I actually like the name.

its commonly known as Abayomi then shortened to Yomi.

but the full version is ota iba yomi olorun ni oje.

thats what I was told sha.

Its normally given when the mother or parents had a lot of problems before the child arrived.
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by bluespice(f): 5:04am On Jul 12, 2009
wtf!!!!
thats a whole sentence shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by Okenku1(m): 5:35am On Jul 12, 2009
I find it weird that some girls try to make their names easy for oyibo to pronounce, eg Iphy, Aijay, Utchay. undecided
Is this psychological or what, because oyibo renaming themselves is largely unheard of.
BIG UP to Indians and Pakistanis don't give a damn about oyibo. I know a guy called Maboob, and heard of the name, sukdeep (don't hold me to the spelling).
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by oyinda3(f): 5:41am On Jul 12, 2009
Okenku1:

BIG UP to Indians and Pakistanis don't give a damn about oyibo. I know a guy called Maboob, and heard of the name, sukdeep (don't hold me to the spelling).

buhahhahhahhhalollolahah cheesy
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by Akanniade(m): 5:58am On Jul 12, 2009
For me I like my nigerian name. Even my so called baptismal name I hardly use. The beauty of a name is in the meaning. Our nigerian names are very meaningful and thought provoking.
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by akigbemaru: 7:04am On Jul 12, 2009
@Papaejima

@Tpia, whiteroses, Osisi, DEDE1, MrCrackles, Asha80 and all other Biafran solders who always like to kick it like judos with me. I never see all your comments; because you always blame Yorubas for anything that happens to you. I just want y’all to read my comment and respond so that if you
make me mad? We can start all over again. I never used any slur because of Papaejima.
These are the links to my proof:
1) https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-252060.0.html
2) http://nigeriaworld.com/feature/publication/soboyede/040609.html
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by akigbemaru: 7:06am On Jul 12, 2009
@Papaejima

@Poster

@Tpia, whiteroses, Osisi, DEDE1, MrCrackles, Asha80 and all other Biafran solders who always like to kick it like judos with me. I never see all your comments; because you always blame Yorubas for anything that happens to you. I just want y’all to read my comment and respond so that if you
make me mad? We can start all over again. I never used any slur because of Papaejima.
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by congoshine(m): 11:27am On Jul 12, 2009
whiteroses:

samesame be nice i am not an animal i'm a sexy nigerian gyal  cool someone's daughter . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . with fake fingernails grin grin grin grin

[center]I'm sorry I couldn't help it ! embarassed embarassed [/center]
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by congoshine(m): 11:37am On Jul 12, 2009
akigbemaru:

@Papaejima
@Poster

akigbemaru,I'll tell you this only once . . . . .always take your medication before posting. . . .ok?
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by ehisianya(m): 2:25pm On Jul 12, 2009
MUCH ADO ABOUT NAMIng
One has to be careful in giving names to Innocent Kids. One way or the other names of people has a way of REFLECTING ON THE OWNERS BEHAVIOUR,XRACTER, HABIT and so .
In my view, its good to find out the meaning of a name b4 giving to ur kids or changing ones name.

However I will never be in support of coping white in giving names. How many of the white has giving thier kids an African name?
WHY do we always want to be like them?
WHY cant we appreciate the way we are?
WHY are loosing all to the OYIBO man?
A white woman came all the to help us preserve the OSHOGBO DIETY. and 2day we celebrate OSUN/OSHOGBO FESTIVAL.
Culture is the peoples way of life. ( Language, food, clothing, name it) it makes u unique.
Africans and inferiority complex, when are we going to over come that Virus.

Time will tell,
This is also a test of how our imposed leaders have allowed us lost our identity.

NIGERIA , GOOD PEOPLE GREAT NATION has gone to rest ,
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by lucillia90: 5:58pm On Jul 12, 2009
IMAO, Sanjo is a popular name nowadays and that even makes the name more popular due to the lofty heights attained by our immdiate ex-preso, undecided
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by scolobo(m): 6:50pm On Jul 12, 2009
CRAZY POST, AM GETTIN PISSD BOUT NAIJAZ EVERYDAY, WATS SO FUNNY N WRONG IN OUR NAMES? AM LIVIN IN DA STATE, MY NAME IS DAMILARE, DEY HARDLY PRONOUNCE IT, EVEN WEN I TEL DEM DAMMY, IMAGINE, SO WHY RE WE ALWAYS CRAZY BOUT THIER OWN STUFF ? INSTEAD LETTIN DEM GET FAMILIAR WIT OURS TOO, STIL ON STIL I WIL ALWAYS APRC8 MY AFRICAN N NAIJA NAME NO MATA WAT, I CARE TO KNW UR NAME OOOOOOOOOO
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by adconline(m): 8:38pm On Jul 12, 2009
another brainwashed idea. have u heard of indian and russian names. maybe Lakshmi Mittal is sexier than Sanjo? Or schwarzenegger is sexier than Fashola. Krzyzewski sounds better than Siasia. This is a warped colonial mentality. Indians and Chinese are going to the moon with their names and you are concerned about Naija names. Can you ever tell me the meaning of Dominic in english let alone your local language if you ve got one.

Mel Gibson is also having a hard time pronoucing his girlfriend's russian name, but guess what she is smoking hot.Oksana Grigorieva,
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by justkunmi(m): 8:39pm On Jul 12, 2009
Lwkmd. .lol!
Saw.the.opening.comments.on.this.thread.and.have.been.laughing.since. .lol

I.know.a.woman.who.named.her.child.BATTLE-AXE.!!
lol. For.real.
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by Leilah(f): 9:20pm On Jul 12, 2009
eh one of my friends from here in Ireland called her little boy Hunter undecided! wow at least some of the Nigeiran names have a traditional/religious meaning to them,
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by bawomolo(m): 12:19am On Jul 13, 2009
you can legally change your name if you don't like it.
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by sley4life(m): 12:41am On Jul 13, 2009
9ja names still try
Re: Do You Like Your Full Name Why Do Nigerians Have So Many Wierd Names by Hauwa1: 1:08am On Jul 13, 2009
grin grin laughing at posts.

imagine Schwarzenegger etc.

Gator, thank goodness they didnt change your name to Toy grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

My Wife Just Doesn't Want To Bond And Grow With Me / Would You Marry Someone Out Of Pity? / Shocking! 12-year Old, Primary Three(3) Girl Gets Pregnant [pictured]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.