Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,963 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:13 AM

Hausa/yoruba Political Relationship In The Past. What Does It Imply With This?? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hausa/yoruba Political Relationship In The Past. What Does It Imply With This?? (1298 Views)

Okorocha: Hausas Can Win Election Without Igbos, Hence The Hausa-Yoruba Alliance / Killings Continue In Mile 12 Hausa-Yoruba Clash / Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hausa/yoruba Political Relationship In The Past. What Does It Imply With This?? by ishiamu(m): 10:36am On Feb 25, 2016
The ascension of Awolowo’s kinsman Obasanjo as Head of State was another opportunity for him to realize his dream of ruling Nigeria.

The 1979 election result was decided in the infamous judgement where the Supreme Court refused Awolowo’s plea that 2/3 of 19 is 13 states therefore declaring Alhaji Shehu Shagari the winner of the election.

The north led by Generals Shehu Yaradua and Theophilus Danjuma convinced Obasanjo on why Awolowo should never be the president of Nigeria. Therefore, instead of a runoff election, which some believe could favour Awolowo,the Supreme Court declared Alhaji Shehu Shagari the winner.

Chief MKO Abiola at one point was used by the northern dominated NPN to oppose the presidential ambitions of Awolowo . He used his Nigerian Concord newspaper and enormous wealth to fight Awolowo and UPN and when they finished using him to deal with Awolowo, they frustrated
Abiola’s presidential ambition and he had to resign from the party in 1982.

Alhaji Umaru Dikko, then transport minister, sent message to Abiola that the presidency is not for sale to the highest bidder. When Babangida annulled the election of Abiola in 1993, Yorubas alluded to a certain curse Awolowo released on Abiola, in the heat of the later’s opposition to his presidency ‘’that even if Abiola was to be given the presidential seat, he would not sit on it.”

In 1999, after the suspicious death of Abiola, the northern establishment sensing that Chief Olu Falae was the choice of the Yoruba people, rigged the polls in favour of Obasanjo .

What does the write up imply? Read before you comment.. besides I saw it on facebook

Severussnape dunkem01 drss luvvinghubby nextgovernor firefire omenkata hungerbad onankpba bevista redoil egusisoup mynd1 tallesty1 and others

1 Like

Re: Hausa/yoruba Political Relationship In The Past. What Does It Imply With This?? by lekkie073(m): 10:49am On Feb 25, 2016
Yoruba is the reason Nigeria is still one....
daz all

1 Like

Re: Hausa/yoruba Political Relationship In The Past. What Does It Imply With This?? by MILFangela(f): 10:51am On Feb 25, 2016
What I find missing in the article is the fact that in the 2nd republic, Obafemi Awolowo nominated an ibo man, Philip Umeadi as his Vice Presidential running mate. But that still did not make the ibos vote for Awolowo's UPN. The ibos gave their vote to Shehu Shagari/Alex Ekweme's NPN.

A similar event played out in the 1st republic. Awolowo's A.G made overtures to Aizkiwe's NCNC. But Azikiwe prefered an alliance with the Bello's NPC. Consequently a coalition government between Azikiwe and Balewa was formed in the 1st republic

5 Likes

Re: Hausa/yoruba Political Relationship In The Past. What Does It Imply With This?? by drss(m): 11:05am On Feb 25, 2016
following.
wat i notice in d writeup:
- northerners ar extremist with born to rule syndrome. they see leadership as their birthright. God punish lugard for dis nonsense.
- northerners hated pipul with bright economic ideas about free market, true federalism n regionalism. case in point they worked against awolowo - a regionalism advocate, n olu falae - a free market n true federalism disciple.
- northerners use south western muslims to further their agenda, den dump dem when d agenda has been achieved. case in point abiola n tinubu. both political entities had been used to usher in northern presidents. eg shagari and buari.
- northerner love obasanjo becos he support d current structure n status quo of nigeria. dats why they used their south western connection against olu falae in favor of OBJ in 1999. northerners hate pipul dat supports restructuring with passion.
unless south western muslims wake up from reality, they will continue to be used n dumped.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hausa/yoruba Political Relationship In The Past. What Does It Imply With This?? by MILFangela(f): 11:33am On Feb 25, 2016
drss:
following.
- northerners ar extremist with born to rule syndrome. they see leadership as their birthright. God punish lugard for dis nonsense.
- northerners hated pipul with bright economic ideas about free market, true federalism n regionalism. case in point they worked against awolowo - a regionalism advocate, n olu falae - a free market n true federalism disciple.
- northerners use south western muslims to further their agenda, den dump dem when d agenda has been achieved. case in point abiola n tinubu. both political entities had been used to usher in northern presidents. eg shagari and buari.
unless south western muslims wake up from reality, they will continue to be used n dumped.
I think it is suffice to say that you are bereft of intelligence if the only thing you can come up with after reading the artilce is to denigrate the North and Moslems.

Do I need to remind you that the North initially never wanted to be part of an independent Nigeria? Was it not Azikiwe, the self acclaimed Zik of Africa, who under the guise of nationalism was in support of a united Nigeria? Do I need to remind you that it was an ibo man, Azikiwe, who went to form an alliance with the North/Balewa in the 1st republic? The same thing happened in the 2nd republic when another ibo man, Alex Ekweme partnered Shehu Shagari as the latters V.P candidate. In the 3rd republic it was yet another ibo man, Sylvester Ugoh who was Bashir Tofa's V.P candidate.

History cannot be distorted. History has shown that the ibos have always been in romance with any government in power at the center. Your talk about true federalism/ regionalism is hogwsh. It was an ibo man, Aguyi Ironis that abolished regionalism and foisted the unitary system on us.

7 Likes

Re: Hausa/yoruba Political Relationship In The Past. What Does It Imply With This?? by PlayerMeji: 11:36am On Feb 25, 2016
I just find it very odd and displeasing our obsession with our tribal background and religious affiliations, Yoruba man, Hausa woman, Igbo politian, etc.

Dont we see that this differentiation is what will break the structures of prosperity in this nation.

Why is it only when someone does something good that he is a Nigerian but when he does something bad, he is easily placed within the brackets of his ethnicity.
Re: Hausa/yoruba Political Relationship In The Past. What Does It Imply With This?? by drss(m): 11:47am On Feb 25, 2016
MILFangela:
I think it is suffice to say that you are bereft of intelligence if the only thing you can come up with after reading the artilce is to denigrate the North and Moslems.

Do I need to remind you that the North initially never wanted to be part of an independent Nigeria? Was it not Azikiwe, the self acclaimed Zik of Africa, who under the guise of nationalism was in support of a united Nigeria? Do I need to remind you that it was an ibo man, Azikiwe, who went to form an alliance with the North/Balewa in the 1st republic? The same thing happened in the 2nd republic when another ibo man, Alex Ekweme partnered Shehu Shagari as the latters V.P candidate. In the 3rd republic it was yet another ibo man, Sylvester Ugoh who was Bashir Tofa's V.P candidate.

History cannot be distorted. History has shown that the ibos have always been in romance with any government in power at the center. Your talk about true federalism/ regionalism is hogwsh. It was an ibo man, Aguyi Ironis that abolished regionalism and foisted the unitary system on us.
stop reading secondary skool social studies text book.
military rule is synonimous with unitary systems around d world.
Re: Hausa/yoruba Political Relationship In The Past. What Does It Imply With This?? by FFKfuckedBIANCA: 11:51am On Feb 25, 2016
drss:
both political entities had been used to usher in northern presidents. eg shagari and buari.
omo ibo before you continue to blame the Yoruba for sagaris presidency dont forget that alex ekuweme was sagaris vice president. Unless you want to tell us now that ekueme is a Yoruba man. Sagari granted ojukwu amnesty; ojukwu came back from exile and contested as a senator under sagaris party. I guess ojukwu is also a Yoruba man too

6 Likes

Re: Hausa/yoruba Political Relationship In The Past. What Does It Imply With This?? by OnankpaBa(m): 11:53am On Feb 25, 2016
am here to observe
Re: Hausa/yoruba Political Relationship In The Past. What Does It Imply With This?? by MILFangela(f): 12:00pm On Feb 25, 2016
drss:
You are the one that ought to go back to Nursery 1. Was it not an ibo man, Francis Nwokedi who chaired the committie that drafted the unification decree? Was Ironsi not advised against promulgating decree 34? You can twist and turn it as you like, but the fact still remains that it ws an ibo man, that abolished regionalism in Nigeria

6 Likes

Re: Hausa/yoruba Political Relationship In The Past. What Does It Imply With This?? by MILFangela(f): 12:06pm On Feb 25, 2016
FFKfuckedBIANCA:
omo ibo before you continue to blame the Yoruba for sagaris presaidency dont forget that alex ekuweme was sagaris vice president. Unless you want to tell us now that ekueme is a Yoruba man. Sagari granted ojukwu amnesty; ojukwu came back from exile and contested as a senator under sagaris party. I guess ojukwu is also a Yoruba man too
Thanks for helping me school that novice. To add to your point; The GNPP and PRP were both Northern led political parties that were also opposed to Shagari's NPN. So it was not as if Shagari was a Northern consensus candidate

3 Likes

Re: Hausa/yoruba Political Relationship In The Past. What Does It Imply With This?? by drss(m): 12:08pm On Feb 25, 2016
MILFangela:
You are the one that ought to go back to Nursery 1. Was it not an ibo man, Francis Nwokedi who chaired the committie that drafted the unification decree? Was Ironsi not advised against promulgating decree 34? You can twist and turn it as you like, but the fact still remains that it ws an ibo man, that abolished regionalism in Nigeria
wat do u expect from military rule democracy it is u who need to go to nursery skool.
Re: Hausa/yoruba Political Relationship In The Past. What Does It Imply With This?? by drss(m): 12:12pm On Feb 25, 2016
some of u children dont know anytin. if u know half of wat i know, u will know why we call nigeria a zoo.
Re: Hausa/yoruba Political Relationship In The Past. What Does It Imply With This?? by EazyMoh(m): 12:13pm On Feb 25, 2016
You people shall try to move on, because we (the North) have already done that.
Our aim is now how to make our future generations more educated than we are.
You can say whatever you want we don't care. If want to elect a President of our choice we know how to go about it (mostly by allainces) because we have been having political ties with our neighbors, managing large empires and emirates even before a white man could build a big sailing ship.
drss I will advice you again, do away with the hate in your mind, it's only gonna destroy you.
Re: Hausa/yoruba Political Relationship In The Past. What Does It Imply With This?? by drss(m): 12:36pm On Feb 25, 2016
FFKfuckedBIANCA:
omo ibo before you continue to blame the Yoruba for sagaris presidency dont forget that alex ekuweme was sagaris vice president. Unless you want to tell us now that ekueme is a Yoruba man. Sagari granted ojukwu amnesty; ojukwu came back from exile and contested as a senator under sagaris party. I guess ojukwu is also a Yoruba man too
so becos of wat u wrote u tink u know everyting u have so much to learn in nigerian politics batreyal.
Re: Hausa/yoruba Political Relationship In The Past. What Does It Imply With This?? by Tallesty1(m): 1:34pm On Feb 25, 2016
drss:
following.
- northerner love obasanjo becos he support d current structure n status quo of nigeria. dats why they used their south western connection against olu falae in favor of OBJ in 1999. northerners hate pipul dat supports restructuring with passion.
I don't think we read the same post.
Re: Hausa/yoruba Political Relationship In The Past. What Does It Imply With This?? by 7lives: 1:49pm On Feb 25, 2016
drss:

What exactly are trying to say? that the guy lied or what? why not go to Wikipedia or google for confirmation.
The fact that you are trying to downplay what the guy said doesn't mean it did not happen.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Should The Past Administration Really Be Blamed? / PHOTOS: Corpse of former Gov of Bayelsa DSP Alamieyeseigha / Rivers Assembly Approves N10bn For Wike From FG Bailout Funds

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.