Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,437 members, 7,836,742 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:13 PM

Reasons For 100% Hike In Pure Water Price. - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Reasons For 100% Hike In Pure Water Price. (43026 Views)

Duty Hike: "We Are Finished" - Importers, Agents / How To Succed In Pure Water Business / Dollar Hike: We Are Our Own Problem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reasons For 100% Hike In Pure Water Price. by Umamman(m): 6:01am On Feb 27, 2016
For long we dey buy pure water #10, #10 naira hia in kontagora niger state.
Re: Reasons For 100% Hike In Pure Water Price. by Sunlad16(m): 6:11am On Feb 27, 2016
What d op said is true cos am into pure water nylon bussiness.
Re: Reasons For 100% Hike In Pure Water Price. by Nobody: 7:40am On Feb 27, 2016
Why is it dt d Igbo speakin area have a higher charge4pure water, Igbos takin advantage of every situation since18000BC
2el:
There have been sharp increase in d prices of pure water across d states due to one reason or the other.

1. The sachet which the water in contained in is imported

2. It comes as a plain roll and very large. the printers buy this plain roll and print the pure water company name on it.

3. Its in different sizes and measured in KG. 1Kg was N530 before, now its N1000.

4. Those printers use different chemicals and inks to print. These chemicals all has a hike in price.

5. They also hire labourers incurred other running costs to it.

6. A pure water company buy this finished roll at N1000 instead of N530 and buy the packing bags at N5000 instead of N3200.

7. The company pays staff.

8. The machines run on diesel.

9. Maintenance of service vehicles, pays rent.

10. Maintenance of machines.

11. Buy fuel for service vehicles.

12. Buy chemical for treatment of product.

13. Most hawkers are usually charged dues like in Abia and Edo sachet hawker pays as much at N60 for tax.

14. Retailers also tend to pay for lighting and ice blocks.

**Majority of the company that produce Low density Polyethylene (LDPE) @ Eleme petrochemical industry in Rivers state and Lagos state have shut down due to high running cost and those that are importing this product are in shortage of Forex.

Current price of pure water in states all over Nigeria.

Abia................N150 a bag /N15 a sachet
Adammawa....N70 a bag/ N5 a scahet
Akwa ibom......N150 a bag / N20-25 a sachet
Anambra.........N150 a bag / N15 a sachet
Bauchi.............N70 a bag / N5 a sachet
Bayelsa........ ...N150 a bag / N20 a sachet
Benue..............N100a bag/ N10 a sachet
Borno...............N80 a bag /N10 a sachet
Cross river.......N150 a bag / N15 a sachet
Delta................N150 a bag/ N15 a sachet
Ebonyi.............N100 a bag / N10 a sachet
Edo...................N150 a bag/ N20 a sachet
Enugu.............N100 a bag/ N 10 a sachet
Gombe............N70 a bag/ N5 a sachet
Imo.................N150 a bag / N15 a sachet
Jigawa...........N70 a bag/ N5 a sachet
Kaduna..........N70 a bag / N5 a sachet
Kano..............N70 a bag / N5 a sachet
Katsina..........N70 a bag / N5 a sachet
Kebbi......... ...N70 a bag / N5 a sachet
Kwara ...........N100 a bag / N10 a sachet
Lagos............N150 a bag/ N20 a sachet
Niger.............N70 a bag/ N5 a sachet
Ogun............N100a bag / N10 sachet
Osun............N100 a bah/ N10 a sachet
Oyo..............N100 a bag/ N10 a sachet
Plateau........N100 a bag/ N10 a sachet
River.............N150 a bag/ N20 a sachet
Sokoto.........N70 a bag/ N5 a sachet
Taraba.........N70 a bag/ N5 a sachet
Yobe......... ..N100 a bag/ N10 a sachet
Zamfara......N70 a bag/ N5 a sachet
FCT..............N150 a bag/ N20 a sachet

Re: Reasons For 100% Hike In Pure Water Price. by Audinowing(m): 8:14am On Feb 27, 2016
EricDonn:

You guys always drop the last line "except for d crisis"... if greed, exploitation, selfishness etc don't exist in d north then what causes the crisis? The southerners hate themselves yet they find it hard to kill but the north loves and also enjoys killing, what an irony
I disagree with you bro. The reasons for the crisis in the north is far from what you listed up there. One can not deny the fact that the South is more exposed than the north in terms of education and civilization. The youths in the north indulge in violence sometimes because of ignorance. The few greedy elites capitalise on this ignorance to misinform them to take to violence just for their selfish interest. The truth is, there is more spirit of oneness and love in North than it is in the South. If only Education can be more patronised in the North, there wouldn't have being a better place to stay.
Re: Reasons For 100% Hike In Pure Water Price. by Nobody: 8:14am On Feb 27, 2016
UrbanMystique:
he came back from sokoto.
Lol. It would have better if he's still in Sokoto. Think about this. The water companies sell to the wholesalers at 80 and 100 naira, so how can you now sell 5 naira.

Yesterday the kiosk I buy things from refused buying from them because they want to sell at hundred naira per bag. I also give them money to help the family buy some bags but they didn't buy citing that as reason.
Re: Reasons For 100% Hike In Pure Water Price. by Nobody: 8:17am On Feb 27, 2016
Idrismusty97:
Pure water have been N10 in some parts of Niger state since before the dollar polythene blah blah rubbish. I remember buying for N10 as far back as 2013. But in Kaduna, Kano, Jos it is still N5.
No. In Suleja because of the instruction of the Emir it has always being 5 naira but right now it's ten naira. How much is a bag then in Jos? Do they import their materials from a different place?
Re: Reasons For 100% Hike In Pure Water Price. by Nobody: 8:19am On Feb 27, 2016
ubah84:
my brother am in JOS now and pure water is, #5
How much is a bag in Jos?
Re: Reasons For 100% Hike In Pure Water Price. by Nobody: 8:20am On Feb 27, 2016
9japrof:

Dude what part of Niger are you, cos I stay in Bida and the price of pure water from the factories is 70 naira and maybe resellers sell for 90 naira or so. The unit price still remains 5 naira for now though some retailers are kinda trying to sell at ten box
I'm in Suleja and it's ten naira here. Twenty naira is for three bags. Where then do the companies in Bida get their materials from?
Re: Reasons For 100% Hike In Pure Water Price. by grandstar(m): 8:28am On Feb 27, 2016
alrahmanonline:
at the end of the day everything go bounce on government head, but wait o, are they not buying nylon in the north? i noticed the hike affected SS and SE most, is their nylon different or selfishness dey worry them there ni?

I suspect some regions still have surplus stuff. Once these run out and are replenished, then we will know the true state of things.

Also, price in lagos is still quite low
Re: Reasons For 100% Hike In Pure Water Price. by GeneralShepherd(m): 8:30am On Feb 27, 2016
ladyF:
Bloody thieves. Bloody bloody thieves.

Questions to be answered, do the producers in the North get these imported rolls at the same increased price as their Southern counterparts? Do the importers in the North get the same exchange rate or suffer the same shortage of dollar? Do the producers in the North experience the same miserable power supply?

If your answers to all these questions is yes, how then are they still selling at N5, and some people are making as much as 300% profit. WTF!!!! angry angry angry angry That is freaking exploitation. No excuse.

Tap water ti take over!!!!

It's [size=15pt]LadyF[/size] again grin grin grin

Cost of labour in the north is very low, this variable drives down operating costs significantly
Re: Reasons For 100% Hike In Pure Water Price. by UrbanMystique: 8:34am On Feb 27, 2016
Reyginus:
Lol. It would have better if he's still in Sokoto. Think about this. The water companies sell to the wholesalers at 80 and 100 naira, so how can you now sell 5 naira.

Yesterday the kiosk I buy things from refused buying from them because they want to sell at hundred naira per bag. I also give them money to help the family buy some bags but they didn't buy citing that as reason.
you live in niger, niger is not sokoto.

And you are not getting the point. Why are pure water companies selling below 70 naira to distributors in sokoto while pure water companies sells above 100 naira in Niger when sokoto is more prone to drought or have access to sea for importation of nylon if not greed on the part of Niger or southerners pure water companies?
Re: Reasons For 100% Hike In Pure Water Price. by Nobody: 8:41am On Feb 27, 2016
UrbanMystique:
you live in niger, niger is not sokoto.

And you are not getting the point. Why are pure water companies selling below 70 naira to distributors in sokoto while pure water companies sells above 100 naira in Niger when sokoto is more prone to drought or have access to sea for importation of nylon if not greed on the part of Niger or southerners pure water companies?
I think it's you missing the point. The material for Pure water manufacturing has increased from about 500naira or so per kilogram to 1000 naira. So where exactly are they getting their materials from? You are not in Sokoto right now and not even your friend is. You should be questioning the truth and possibility of his statement.
Re: Reasons For 100% Hike In Pure Water Price. by Idrismusty97(m): 8:42am On Feb 27, 2016
Reyginus:
No. In Suleja because of the instruction of the Emir it has always being 5 naira but right now it's ten naira. How much is a bag then in Jos? Do they import their materials from a different place?
A bag is still N70.
Re: Reasons For 100% Hike In Pure Water Price. by Nobody: 8:43am On Feb 27, 2016
Idrismusty97:
A bag is still N70.
Hmmm. Do you have an idea where they source their materials?
Re: Reasons For 100% Hike In Pure Water Price. by 9japrof(m): 8:51am On Feb 27, 2016
Reyginus:
I'm in Suleja and it's ten naira here. Twenty naira is for three bags. Where then do the companies in Bida get their materials from?
Its still a fact that suleja is quite expensive and have a higher cost of living, probably due to its close proximity to Abuja. Most times prices of items placed in some cities are not actually because of the cost of the raw materials but includes both the cost of labour and the standard of living.

Lemme give u a personal example; the apartment I stay that is a parlour and a one room apartment goes for seventy k annually, this is an apartment that is well tiled and have a running water and quite spacious. In suleja am sure it would be difficult to get that price. Besides am sure in some areas in Abj this my same apartment would sell for 300 to 400 k annually, same size same structure.

These are reasons why sachet water and other commodities are expensive down south than north not just about materials. besides in some settings (e.g bida) sell at ten naira, the locals would abandon the water for you and drink borehole water
Re: Reasons For 100% Hike In Pure Water Price. by UrbanMystique: 8:53am On Feb 27, 2016
Reyginus:
I think it's you missing the point. The material for Pure water manufacturing has increased from about 500naira or so per kilogram to 1000 naira. So where exactly are they getting their materials from? You are not in Sokoto right now and not even your friend is.
my friend I was talking came 4 days ago..
How the materials in sokoto or other core nothern states got cheaper is still a mystery.

They have been selling Pure water around 10 and 150 more than 2 weeks now.
you are not in sokoto, so you wouldn't know either.

Justifying obvious greed won't do anybody good here..

Thank goodness people can do away with the so called pure water. Let's see if day can continue their daylight robbery in weeks to come.
Re: Reasons For 100% Hike In Pure Water Price. by Idrismusty97(m): 8:53am On Feb 27, 2016
Reyginus:
Hmmm. Do you have an idea where they source their materials?
I don't know but maybe because there is no monopoly where i come from. Pure water business is one of the easiest to start-up once you have the required capital, Both church, private Schools, Neighbors and even the Kaduna poly produce pure water. It may also be there is still gain even as the material increased to N1000 and many are contented with that little gain.
Re: Reasons For 100% Hike In Pure Water Price. by Nobody: 8:56am On Feb 27, 2016
9japrof:

Its still a fact that suleja is quite expensive and have a higher cost of living, probably due to its close proximity to Abuja. Most times prices of items placed in some cities are not actually because of the cost of the raw materials but includes both the cost of labour and the standard of living.

Lemme give u a personal example; the apartment I stay that is a parlour and a one room apartment goes for seventy k annually, this is an apartment that is well tiled and have a running water and quite spacious. In suleja am sure it would be difficult to get that price. Besides am sure in some areas in Abj this my same apartment would sell for 300 to 400 k annually, same size same structure.

These are reasons why sachet water and other commodities are expensive down south than north not just about materials. besides in some settings (e.g bida) sell at ten naira, the locals would abandon the water for you and drink borehole water
I understand you better. But my problem is still how they do it. If the materials are all sourced from a particular place and the price in that particular place increases logically they all have to increase the price. Except they are still using the materials the got before the dollar but unlike some prefer not to raise the price yet.
Re: Reasons For 100% Hike In Pure Water Price. by Nobody: 8:58am On Feb 27, 2016
Idrismusty97:
I don't know but maybe because there is no monopoly where i come from. Pure water business is one of the easiest to start-up once you have the required capital, Both church, private Schools, Neighbors and even the Kaduna poly produce pure water. It may also be there is still gain even as the material increased to N1000 and many are contented with that little gain.
Yes it's possible. But I wonder how long.
Re: Reasons For 100% Hike In Pure Water Price. by Nobody: 9:16am On Feb 27, 2016
alrahmanonline:
at the end of the day everything go bounce on government head, but wait o, are they not buying nylon in the north? i noticed the hike affected SS and SE most, is their nylon different or selfishness dey worry them there ni?
They drink from gutter.
Re: Reasons For 100% Hike In Pure Water Price. by 9japrof(m): 9:22am On Feb 27, 2016
Reyginus:
I understand you better. But my problem is still how they do it. If the materials are all sourced from a particular place and the price in that particular place increases logically they all have to increase the price. Except they are still using the materials the got before the dollar but unlike some prefer not to raise the price yet.

sure there was a price increase, it used to sell 60 naira at factories and 80 naira per bag at retail outlets, but now ten naira have been added to it. other things you should bear in mind is that the southern man is soo money conscious and would love to make excess profits even at the detriment of others.

2. the cost of doing business is more expensive in the south than in the north e.g excessive taxation from states and L.Gs , its more expensive to pay workers in the south than in the north, here local businesses Dodge taxes wells no be small
Re: Reasons For 100% Hike In Pure Water Price. by Abumilla(m): 9:33am On Feb 27, 2016
[quote author=2el post=43269731]There have been sharp increase in d prices of pure water across d states due to one reason or the other.

1. The sachet which the water in contained in is imported

2. It comes as a plain roll and very large. the printers buy this plain roll and print the pure water company name on it.

3. Its in different sizes and measured in KG. 1Kg was N530 before, now its N1000.

4. Those printers use different chemicals and inks to print. These chemicals all has a hike in price.

5. They also hire labourers incurred other running costs to it.

6. A pure water company buy this finished roll at N1000 instead of N530 and buy the packing bags at N5000 instead of N3200.

7. The company pays staff.

8. The machines run on diesel.

9. Maintenance of service vehicles, pays rent.

10. Maintenance of machines.

11. Buy fuel for service vehicles.

12. Buy chemical for treatment of product.

13. Most hawkers are usually charged dues like in Abia and Edo sachet hawker pays as much at N60 for tax.

14. Retailers also tend to pay for lighting and ice blocks.

**Majority of the company that produce Low density Polyethylene (LDPE) @ Eleme petrochemical industry in Rivers state and Lagos state have shut down due to high running cost and those that are importing this product are in shortage of Forex.

Current price of pure water in states all over Nigeria.

Abia................N150 a bag /N15 a sachet
Adammawa....N70 a bag/ N5 a scahet
Akwa ibom......N150 a bag / N20-25 a sachet
Anambra.........N150 a bag / N15 a sachet
Bauchi.............N70 a bag / N5 a sachet
Bayelsa........ ...N150 a bag / N20 a sachet
Benue..............N100a bag/ N10 a sachet
Borno...............N80 a bag /N10 a sachet
Cross river.......N150 a bag / N15 a sachet
Delta................N150 a bag/ N15 a sachet
Ebonyi.............N100 a bag / N10 a sachet
Edo...................N150 a bag/ N20 a sachet
Enugu.............N100 a bag/ N 10 a sachet
Gombe............N70 a bag/ N5 a sachet
Imo.................N150 a bag / N15 a sachet
Jigawa...........N70 a bag/ N5 a sachet
Kaduna..........N70 a bag / N5 a sachet
Kano..............N70 a bag / N5 a sachet
Katsina..........N70 a bag / N5 a sachet
Kebbi......... ...N70 a bag / N5 a sachet
Kwara ...........N100 a bag / N10 a sachet
Lagos............N150 a bag/ N20 a sachet
Niger.............N70 a bag/ N5 a sachet
Ogun............N100a bag / N10 sachet
Osun............N100 a bah/ N10 a sachet
Oyo..............N100 a bag/ N10 a sachet
Plateau........N100 a bag/ N10 a sachet
River.............N150 a bag/ N20 a sachet
Sokoto.........N70 a bag/ N5 a sachet
Taraba.........N70 a bag/ N5 a sachet
Yobe......... ..N100 a bag/ N10 a sachet
Zamfara......N70 a bag/ N5 a sachet
FCT..............N150 a bag/ N20 a sachet

[/quote
op what of nassarawa and kogi
Re: Reasons For 100% Hike In Pure Water Price. by An0nimus: 9:36am On Feb 27, 2016
Someone just sat down in his room and drummed up a false report to support his selling pure water at an increased rate. OP try your luck and sell pure water 20naira per sachet down south where there's much water. You go use the water baff.

Imagine the bogus claim that Nigeria imports the packaging used. smh

In this report our statistician also failed to tell us how many sachets can be gotten from one roll and how many packaging bags are gotten at the stated amount. All other running cost mentioned have relatively remained the same in the past few months so adds almost nothing.

At the end of the day, even with the increased production cost claimed above, the profit made on the new selling price per bag will be much more compared to what was obtainable before.

Una well done.
Re: Reasons For 100% Hike In Pure Water Price. by Nobody: 9:59am On Feb 27, 2016
9japrof:

sure there was a price increase, it used to sell 60 naira at factories and 80 naira per bag at retail outlets, but now ten naira have been added to it. other things you should bear in mind is that the southern man is soo money conscious and would love to make excess profits even at the detriment of others.

2. the cost of doing business is more expensive in the south than in the north e.g excessive taxation from states and L.Gs , its more expensive to pay workers in the south than in the north, here local businesses Dodge taxes wells no be small
I agree. If you sell 5 naira you get a gain of twenty naira in just one bag I wonder how the retailers will fair in all these.
Re: Reasons For 100% Hike In Pure Water Price. by EricDonn(m): 11:27am On Feb 27, 2016
Audinowing:

I disagree with you bro. The reasons for the crisis in the north is far from what you listed up there. One can not deny the fact that the South is more exposed than the north in terms of education and civilization. The youths in the north indulge in violence sometimes because of ignorance. The few greedy elites capitalise on this ignorance to misinform them to take to violence just for their selfish interest. The truth is, there is more spirit of oneness and love in North than it is in the South. If only Education can be more patronised in the North, there wouldn't have being a better place to stay.
In the North, the FEW GREEDY ELITES EXPLOIT THE IGNORANTS MASSES FOR THEIR SELFISH INTERESTS, In the south, it is more balanced, the majority are greedy n selfish so exploitation is a do me I do you affair, not bad in my opinion
Re: Reasons For 100% Hike In Pure Water Price. by bovo(m): 11:43am On Feb 27, 2016
Nigerians should not fall for this futile attempt to give reason to the senseless increase of a popular commodity that should as a matter of fact reduce in price and not the other way around.
Having read your flimsy reasons for the increase, i can boldly say that there are falsehoods in your statements and irrelevant points (such as the price of diesel) embedded in your overall article in an attempt to mask the reality. This is an attempt by local manufacturers of the so called 'pure water' to exploit Nigerians due to the current state of uncertainty in the value of our currency.
Case in point, your first reason is very invalid as Virgin Linear Low Density Polyethylene (LLDPE) used in the production of 'pure water' sachets is readily available in the country (Indorama, Exxonmobil...) and FYI, the price of diesel hasn't changed.
BOVOBAY has spoken!
Re: Reasons For 100% Hike In Pure Water Price. by Fundango: 1:11pm On Feb 27, 2016
alrahmanonline:
as for most companies at kano, they obtain there nylon at Lagos B4 precisely at poly and ominic nylon company. But now they obtain it at affordable price at Viva poly and other campanies at kano.why i know this is because i have worked with the former chairman of the union at kano who happen to be an igbo man from Abia state.
grin
Re: Reasons For 100% Hike In Pure Water Price. by zanga420: 9:32pm On Feb 28, 2016
Handsomeemmy:

Thanks bro for your intelligent input, in as much as you raise some important point, I don't want to believe on hang glaring act of greed, winner takes all and huge profit at all cost of the shoulder of imbalance in the way th country is structure, remember the North is educationally backward but they are not as hardened heart like my brothers and sisters in the south, do you know that house rent in the north was one of the cheapest (though still cheap now compare to the south) but my brothers from the south are teaching these people how to increase it unnecessarily.

My brother I have a lot to write about but I am not in the mood to write for now.

We need re- orientation in the south, we claim to be Christians/ Muslims and claim to know more than this people, but our hearts is desperately wicked.
I commend ur decent manner of approach. There's bound to be greed n greed is in every society, though enlightenment makes ppl smarter than suffer head. Lemme make my point clearer to u. The strength of d south is industrialisation n commerce, d strength of d north is agriculture n administration. So d south needs more electricity than d north, while d north needs more fertilizer than d south. D few pure water coys in d north have enough electricity, they operate less on generator. D numerous pure water coys in d south dont have enough electricity, majority of them operate with gen sets. So anything that touches costs on these factors hikes their price.
The south dont get enough electricity they need to run d industrialisation spreading in it.
Before u brand southerners greed, remember it'll be hard for d north to agree to true federalism/regional authonomy. Thats to let u know they're cheating d south n they know it. Its a long n technical issue, hard to understand.
Re: Reasons For 100% Hike In Pure Water Price. by sageofages: 11:37am On May 11, 2020
Pure water is not N5 in Niger and Kaduna
It is N10 per satchet and 100 per bag

Infact in some cases it is N150 in Niger state.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

CBN To Release Old Naira Notes To Banks Over NLC Protest / 1978 Naira Exchange Rate With Dollar / List Of Microfinance Banks That Give Loans.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.