Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,482 members, 7,812,495 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:14 PM

‘boy, 3, Who Drank Acid, Abandoned In LUTH’ - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / ‘boy, 3, Who Drank Acid, Abandoned In LUTH’ (21698 Views)

Man Dies In LUTH As Staff Couldn't Find Person With Key To Oxygen Room / Boy Who Drank Acid In Ogun School Dies After 9 Months (Photos) / Woman With HIV Abandoned In Ibadan And Left To Die (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ‘boy, 3, Who Drank Acid, Abandoned In LUTH’ by lovinam: 9:13am On Feb 28, 2016
What's acid doing in a primary school? I know they teach acid and co inn basic five but due to the children are yoiung etc. They actually don't show it to them. So I'm very shocked!! Also if it was a PTA meeting with all the teachers in attendance. Who was looking after them children??
Thank God the boy is still alive.
Re: ‘boy, 3, Who Drank Acid, Abandoned In LUTH’ by MKO4ever(m): 9:15am On Feb 28, 2016
I wish the boy a quick recovery. Being on admission since last year and still require further surgery is not a good thing

1 Like

Re: ‘boy, 3, Who Drank Acid, Abandoned In LUTH’ by VocalWalls: 9:40am On Feb 28, 2016
kevoh:
1. The school should be sued o jare undecided undecided What are underage kids doing in a lab unsupervised? They should have transferred them to the playground with two adults supervising them while the PTA meeting goes on.

2. That's an over diluted acid by the way. Good thing it was not proper concentrated acid, as the story might have been different.

3. The school needs to be investigated by the Education Board, many mishandling practices happening there

What are you saying? The mom was careless to have let the toddler out her sight.
If it was a school day, it would have been the fault of the teachers.
Where was the mom when the toddler was walking towards the substance?
You people should not frustrate people's businesses for nothing, besides, why carry a kid to a PTA meeting?

Anyways, the school should assist in ways that they can.
Re: ‘boy, 3, Who Drank Acid, Abandoned In LUTH’ by Jabioro: 9:41am On Feb 28, 2016
This bad pathetic news and thread has been on more than a month plus in punch news paper,hence it not Totodike and preek it would never get quick needed attention. Seun needed to evaluate nairaland moderators...May God Almighty heal the little lad.I wish him quick recovery .
Re: ‘boy, 3, Who Drank Acid, Abandoned In LUTH’ by VocalWalls: 9:42am On Feb 28, 2016
lovinam:
What's acid doing in a primary school? I know they teach acid and co inn basic five but due to the children are yoiung etc. They actually don't show it to them. So I'm very shocked!! Also if it was a PTA meeting with all the teachers in attendance. Who was looking after them children??
Thank God the boy is still alive.

No one is supposed to look after kids but their parents at a PTA meeting.

The meeting is for parents and teachers. Kids are supposed to stay home.

Imagine if it had happened at a party, would you hold the celebrant responsible? Or the mother who didn't have her eyes fixed on her kid?
Re: ‘boy, 3, Who Drank Acid, Abandoned In LUTH’ by lovinam: 9:49am On Feb 28, 2016
You are kidding me right?? All teachers must not be present during the meeting. OMG! Imagine a school with 500 pupils and they are present during the meeting! What a meeting!! If you want all teachers to be present then you schedule the meeting on a saturday. If on a school day please let your schoold heads represent the teachers. ( That's the way my childrens school organise theirs and everyone is happy).
VocalWalls:

No one is supposed to look after kids but their parents at a PTA meeting.

The meeting is for parents and teachers. Kids are supposed to stay home.

Imagine if it had happened at a party, would you hold the celebrant responsible? Or the mother who didn't have her eyes fixed on her kid?
Re: ‘boy, 3, Who Drank Acid, Abandoned In LUTH’ by VocalWalls: 9:57am On Feb 28, 2016
lovinam:
You are kidding me right?? All teachers must not be present during the meeting. OMG! Imagine a school with 500 pupils and they are present during the meeting! What a meeting!! If you want all teachers to be present then you schedule the meeting on a saturday. If on a school day please let your schoold heads represent the teachers. ( That's the way my childrens school organise theirs and everyone is happy).

And you think I don't know that? All PTA meetings are held on Saturdays... And that's why everyone is supposed to be well focused at the meeting. The teachers as well as the parents air their views and worries. No teacher is left out to take care of any toddler because it's not a school day.
So stop asking if I'm kidding you and take a chill, go figure if you went for a PTA meeting on Saturday, if you would leave your toddler to keep running all around or better have him stay home.
Once again, don't be so quick to ruin someone's payzone.
The school did support, although little, but it was never their fault. Everyone attended the meeting, to talk as equals. No nannies on PTA days.
Re: ‘boy, 3, Who Drank Acid, Abandoned In LUTH’ by Reggiz(m): 10:13am On Feb 28, 2016
Lord Have Mercy
Re: ‘boy, 3, Who Drank Acid, Abandoned In LUTH’ by Nobody: 10:22am On Feb 28, 2016
VocalWalls:

And you think I don't know that? All PTA meetings are held on Saturdays... And that's why everyone is supposed to be well focused at the meeting. The teachers as well as the parents air their views and worries. No teacher is left out to take care of any toddler because it's not a school day.
So stop asking if I'm kidding you and take a chill, go figure if you went for a PTA meeting on Saturday, if you would leave your toddler to keep running all around or better have him stay home.
The school did support, although little, but it was never their fault. Everyone attended the meeting, to talk as equals. No nannies on PTA days.

Still all dangerous substances should be kept out of the reach of children, especially a school that should know better. What is acid doing within a child's reach? Dangerous substances should be out of reach and contained within child tamper proof packaging.

If it was during a PTA meeting as you say, the parents too have the responsibility of keeping their eye on their children at all times.

Wish the boy a quick recovery.
Re: ‘boy, 3, Who Drank Acid, Abandoned In LUTH’ by VocalWalls: 10:25am On Feb 28, 2016
tearoses:

Still all dangerous substances should be kept out of the reach of children, especially a school that should know better. What is acid doing within a child's reach? Dangerous substances should be out of reach and contained within child tamper proof packaging.

If it was during a PTA meeting as you say, the parents too have the responsibility of keeping their eye on their children at all times.

Wish the boy a quick recovery.
The problem i guess, lies with the fact that the school doesn't have a hall for meetings, so they opted t use a laboratory. No one could have foreseen such sad twist. Also, i wouldn't even want to blame the mother, i'm sure she's already dying inside, emotionally. However, it almost seemed like everyone was throwing the school under the bus.

I really wish the child a speedy recovery.
Re: ‘boy, 3, Who Drank Acid, Abandoned In LUTH’ by Nobody: 10:32am On Feb 28, 2016
VocalWalls:

The problem i guess, lies with the fact that the school doesn't have a hall for meetings, so they opted t use a laboratory. No one could have foreseen such sad twist. Also, i wouldn't even want to blame the mother, i'm sure she's already dying inside, emotionally. However, it almost seemed like everyone was throwing the school under the bus.

I really wish the child a speedy recovery.

The more reason why they should have gone in to make sure that the place was safe before using the place as a meeting venue.
I volunteer in the church and if I tell you the health and safety issues that we have to consider, you wont believe it.
When a child is on our premises then its our responsibility to ensure that they are safe.
You cant be too careful where children are involved.
Re: ‘boy, 3, Who Drank Acid, Abandoned In LUTH’ by VocalWalls: 10:38am On Feb 28, 2016
tearoses:

The more reason why they should have gone in to make sure that the place was safe before using the place as a meeting venue.
I volunteer in the church and if I tell you the health and safety issues that we have to consider, you wont believe it.
When a child is on our premises then its our responsibility to ensure that they are safe.

In this case, I's different. It is also different when you're having kids go into a laboratory for practicals. In that instance, they are conscious.

This one was a PTA meeting, for PARENTS AND TEACHERS. This very likely means they made arrangements for adults.
Sometimes it seems heartless when banks say "Cars are parked at owners risk" but it's a simple truth. Any kid in a PTA meeting is not the responsibility of the teachers, But the parent he/she came with.
Re: ‘boy, 3, Who Drank Acid, Abandoned In LUTH’ by Jacko01: 11:54am On Feb 28, 2016
Sad story.... Such skool will never put measures to stop such frm reoccuring.... Madam if u sue dat skool dey wil pack up
Re: ‘boy, 3, Who Drank Acid, Abandoned In LUTH’ by yhemsy62(m): 12:40pm On Feb 28, 2016
sheriff777:
What is acid doing in a school compound in the first instance. The school should be charged to court habbbba
I'm telling you.
The incident happen in my area, in fact the school should be closed down
Re: ‘boy, 3, Who Drank Acid, Abandoned In LUTH’ by Godsate: 12:51pm On Feb 28, 2016
The question here is how did Acid get to the kids in primary school. SSS need to investigate
Re: ‘boy, 3, Who Drank Acid, Abandoned In LUTH’ by dominique(f): 1:48pm On Feb 28, 2016
VocalWalls:

SMH, you're just looking for an angle to blame the mother who may not even be in the premises when the incident happened. PTA meetings are held on Wednesdays in my children's school. Few times I've been opportune to go, all children were kept in one of the classes with tv and a teacher supervising them. The older ones are allowed to go home. It is a school's responsibility to ensure that all children are kept safe within their premises. even if the child was brought over on a Saturday, is it mother participating at a meeting that should also be the one to monitor her child's movement within a school where she may not know her way around? The child may have wandered to where the acid was kept and ignorantly drank it, another fault of the school for putting such a dangerous substance within the child's reach. The school was 100% negligent in this case and they should compensate the little boy and his family for the distress caused.

1 Like

Re: ‘boy, 3, Who Drank Acid, Abandoned In LUTH’ by VocalWalls: 2:18pm On Feb 28, 2016
dominique:

SMH, you're just looking for an angle to blame the mother who may not even be in the premises when the incident happened. PTA meetings are held on Wednesdays in my children's school. Few times I've been opportune to go, all children were kept in one of the classes with tv and a teacher supervising them. The older ones are allowed to go home. It is a school's responsibility to ensure that all children are kept safe within their premises. even if the child was brought over on a Saturday, is it mother participating at a meeting that should also be the one to monitor her child's movement within a school where she may not know her way around? The child may have wandered to where the acid was kept and ignorantly drank it, another fault of the school for putting such a dangerous substance within the child's reach. The school was 100% negligent in this case and they should compensate the little boy and his family for the distress caused.
Is it then the responsibility of the teachers who are very much important in the meeting also?

I really don't like to argue.

Let's just say we have different perspectives.
Re: ‘boy, 3, Who Drank Acid, Abandoned In LUTH’ by dominique(f): 2:33pm On Feb 28, 2016
VocalWalls:

Is it then the responsibility of the teachers who are very much important in the meeting also?

I really don't like to argue.

Let's just say we have different perspectives.

Is it too much for the school to delegate a teacher to keep little children out of harm's way while their parents take part in a meeting?

I wrote that part you bolded because that is how it was when i was in primary school, and how it is in my children's school. I can't recollect my mum running after me and my sisters while a meeting is going on when I was in primary school. We were all kept in the nursery class with a teacher supervising us albeit the meeting being held on a Saturday. If this unfortunate incident had happened in the home, I would have blamed the mum or any other adult present in the house.
I pray the little boy recovers soon.
Re: ‘boy, 3, Who Drank Acid, Abandoned In LUTH’ by VocalWalls: 2:44pm On Feb 28, 2016
dominique:

Is it too much for the school to delegate a teacher to keep little children out of harm's way while their parents take part in a meeting?

I wrote that part you bolded because that is how it was when i was in primary school, and how it is in my children's school. I can't recollect my mum running after me and my sisters while a meeting is going on when I was in primary school. We were all kept in the nursery class with a teacher supervising us albeit the meeting being held on a Saturday. If this unfortunate incident had happened in the home, I would have blamed the mum or any other adult present in the house.

I've always known PTAs to hold on Saturdays, thus my premise was deducted from that. The article didn't tell us anything about that.

The school sure has a hand in it, JUST AS MUCH AS THE MOM TOO!(if it was not a school day)

If it happened on a school day, then the school has 100%.

That point not properly explains leaves the whole equation unsolvable until we can get the facts.

However, the way the topic was modified on the front-page said the school 'Abandoned' the kid... Without clear facts.

I do agree that 30k is totally not enough, however, before we sympathise with the mom and take the school to the cleaners, sincerely, do you think the school's admin isn't suffering emotionally as a result of this?
Re: ‘boy, 3, Who Drank Acid, Abandoned In LUTH’ by lovinam: 3:27pm On Feb 28, 2016
Seems you own a school or you know someone that own a school. All PTA meetings are not held on saturdays. So get your facts right.
Besides you are missing the point. What is ACID doing in a primary school??
VocalWalls:

Re: ‘boy, 3, Who Drank Acid, Abandoned In LUTH’ by lovinam: 3:33pm On Feb 28, 2016
Hello, pls can you clarify if the meeting was held on a saturday?

Does the school have a secondary school in the compound? That's the only way we can explain the presence of acid in the compound.
yhemsy62:
I'm telling you.
The incident happen in my area, in fact the school should be closed down
Re: ‘boy, 3, Who Drank Acid, Abandoned In LUTH’ by VocalWalls: 3:58pm On Feb 28, 2016
lovinam:

Does the school have a secondary school in the compound? That's the only way we can explain the presence of acid in the compound.

dominique:

Godsate:
The question here is how did Acid get to the kids in primary school. SSS need to investigate
tearoses:

Having dug further, the sad incident happened on a Thursday.
The school is at fault, 100%.
The substance was caustic soda. See screenshot.

Re: ‘boy, 3, Who Drank Acid, Abandoned In LUTH’ by yhemsy62(m): 3:59pm On Feb 28, 2016
lovinam:

It was never on Saturday, it happens on weekday can't just remembered d day precisely
Re: ‘boy, 3, Who Drank Acid, Abandoned In LUTH’ by texazzpete(m): 4:02pm On Feb 28, 2016
VocalWalls:

In this case, I's different. It is also different when you're having kids go into a laboratory for practicals. In that instance, they are conscious.

This one was a PTA meeting, for PARENTS AND TEACHERS. This very likely means they made arrangements for adults.
Sometimes it seems heartless when banks say "Cars are parked at owners risk" but it's a simple truth. Any kid in a PTA meeting is not the responsibility of the teachers, But the parent he/she came with.

The fact that you think you have a valid point just shows how little thought you put in your arguments.

Yes, the mother REALLY should have kept a more watchful eye on her kid. But keeping dangerous substances out where kids can reach it is negligence on the part of the school.

Let me put it this way. If this happened in a Western country and the parents sued, 100 times out of 100, the courts WILL punish the school for this.

1 Like

Re: ‘boy, 3, Who Drank Acid, Abandoned In LUTH’ by yhemsy62(m): 4:05pm On Feb 28, 2016
VocalWalls:

Yes you were right. you see Darasimi's mother is selling food near the school, so when the incident happen those teachers try to hide it from the mother. When taking him to the hospital they decided to take another route instead of passing through his mother's shop which is the fastest route to general hospital. It was one of the school children dat went home to tell his mother dat something happen to Darasimi in d school today, it was dat woman dat called Darasimi's mum to ask what happen to her son and she said nothing, dat he has not come back from school. Den she decided to go to his school to see if anything really happen to her son. on getting to his school she was directed to general hospital. Getting to the hospital she met the teachers crying, dat is when she realise terrible has happened to her. Since then, the woman has been running up and down just to save his son. She has spent all the money she used in running her business on dis boy. Darasimi's dad came to buy recharge card from my sister three days ago, wen ask how far about his son? He said they were still on it dat we should help dem with prayer
Re: ‘boy, 3, Who Drank Acid, Abandoned In LUTH’ by yhemsy62(m): 4:34pm On Feb 28, 2016
VocalWalls:

I've always known PTAs to hold on Saturdays, thus my premise was deducted from that. The article didn't tell us anything about that.

The school sure has a hand in it, JUST AS MUCH AS THE MOM TOO!(if it was not a school day)

If it happened on a school day, then the school has 100%.

That point not properly explains leaves the whole equation unsolvable until we can get the facts.

However, the way the topic was modified on the front-page said the school 'Abandoned' the kid... Without clear facts.

I do agree that 30k is totally not enough, however, before we sympathise with the mom and take the school to the cleaners, sincerely, do you think the school's admin isn't suffering emotionally as a result of this?
it was never and never on Saturday.
No PTA is holding on dis very day.
And the mother of the said boy was in her shop selling food on that very day, so it was never her fault in anyway

1 Like

Re: ‘boy, 3, Who Drank Acid, Abandoned In LUTH’ by VocalWalls: 4:56pm On Feb 28, 2016
texazzpete:

The fact that you think you have a valid point just shows how little thought you put in your arguments.

I'm not supposed to apologize for not seeing things your way... More still, it's everyone else that condems the school without further investigation that didn't care to put on more thoughts before writing...

Yes, the mother REALLY should have kept a more watchful eye on her kid. But keeping dangerous substances out where kids can reach it is negligence on the part of the school.

I've had to dig further, and in this case, it's the fault of the school... 100%. However, I didn't come to this conclusion by just reading the opening post on this thread, it had almost no information on the incident itself.

If a kid walked away from a church building to the generator room, and got electrocuted, who would you blame? The church?

Anyways... There's no point, I already established that it's the school's fault, but that was after getting further details.

Let me put it this way. If this happened in a Western country and the parents sued, 100 times out of 100, the courts WILL punish the school for this.

A whole lot of factors can affect a final judgement for a similar case, especially of it was a PTA meeting which held on a weekend, where toddlers were not supposed to be there, or in the custody of their parents.
It's not always as easy as you may think.

But for this incident, I have rested my case on it... The school is guilty.
Re: ‘boy, 3, Who Drank Acid, Abandoned In LUTH’ by VocalWalls: 4:58pm On Feb 28, 2016
yhemsy62:
it was never and never on Saturday.
No PTA is holding on dis very day.
And the mother of the said boy was in her shop selling food on that very day, so it was never her fault in anyway

Didn't you see my post above yours?
Re: ‘boy, 3, Who Drank Acid, Abandoned In LUTH’ by habsydiamond(m): 5:15pm On Feb 28, 2016
That school must be a mushroom schl with not more than two teachers
Re: ‘boy, 3, Who Drank Acid, Abandoned In LUTH’ by dominique(f): 5:45pm On Feb 28, 2016
VocalWalls:

You can imagine the gross negligence portrayed by the school and their insensitivity towards the matter speaks volumes about them.
Re: ‘boy, 3, Who Drank Acid, Abandoned In LUTH’ by VocalWalls: 5:53pm On Feb 28, 2016
dominique:

You can imagine the gross negligence portrayed by the school and their insensitivity towards the matter speaks volumes about them.

It is really painful. How they even didn't contact the parents immediately, they almost wanted to hide the issue under the sheets, they'd have succeeded if it was a minor incident.

They also delayed time by taking a longer route to they hospital, just so the boy's mom won't see them en route.

Now I'm considering home schooling toddlers is one of the best. I've seen the positive effect that jimjam can have on a toddler.
Re: ‘boy, 3, Who Drank Acid, Abandoned In LUTH’ by lovinam: 6:29pm On Feb 28, 2016
Oga, quick question. Do you have children? If you do then I'm shocked.
If a child walks away from the church building to the gen house, its clearly their fault. Children are handed over to sunday school teachers before their parents go to adult service. Except its not the case in your church. You said we didn't hin deep before accusing the school. Hmmmmmmm. I still maintain it is wrong for a school to havve acid/ caustic soda left carelessly. They should have opted for hommemade scouring powder using egg shells etc. They were negligent and should handle the medical bills.
VocalWalls:

I'm not supposed to apologize for not seeing things your way... More still, it's everyone else that condems the school without further investigation that didn't care to put on more thoughts before writing...

I've had to dig further, and in this case, it's the fault of the school... 100%. However, I didn't come to this conclusion by just reading the opening post on this thread, it had almost no information on the incident itself.

If a kid walked away from a church building to the generator room, and got electrocuted, who would you blame? The church?

Anyways... There's no point, I already established that it's the school's fault, but that was after getting further details.

A whole lot of factors can affect a final judgement for a similar case, especially of it was a PTA meeting which held on a weekend, where toddlers were not supposed to be there, or in the custody of their parents.
It's not always as easy as you may think.

But for this incident, I have rested my case on it... The school is guilty.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Man Offers To Donate His Kidney 2 Man Whose Story He Heard On NTA(pics) / N4 Million SOS Appeal For A Child Diagnosed With Brain Tumor / Woman Who Gave Birth To Quadruplets Dies In Katsina (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.