Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,462 members, 7,819,683 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:47 PM

President Buhari Vindicates Barcanista By Abandoning N5k/month Social Benefit - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Buhari Vindicates Barcanista By Abandoning N5k/month Social Benefit (21323 Views)

Ex-ministers Angry With Jonathan For ‘abandoning’ Them With EFCC / Chibok Girls Rescue: Omokri Mocks Lai Mohammed & El-rufai As UK Vindicates GEJ / Boko Haram Terrorists On The Run Abandoning Foodstuffs And Vehicles (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

President Buhari Vindicates Barcanista By Abandoning N5k/month Social Benefit by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:15am On Feb 28, 2016
So finally, Buhari has admitted that he won't be able to pay the promised N5,000 to twenty five million unemployed Nigerians? Was this not what I said in two of my articles on April 19, 2015 and April 20, 2015? Where are those that shouted me down and tagged me unprintable names when I wrote those articles out of my patriotic zeal? Before I proceed permit me to cast our minds back to the two articles I painstakingly wrote on this subject.

1. [size=18pt]Buhari Social Program: Laudable, Laughable Or Dead On Arrival?[/size]
Written: APRIL 19, 2015
1. Buhari/APC To Pay 25m Unemployed N5000 Per Month

Cost Implication:

The implication here is that the sum of N125billion (ie 25million * N5000) will be spent to service this policy every month, and an estimated N1.5 trillion (ie N125bn * 12 months) will be spent on this policy alone every year.

2. Buhari/APC To Provide Daily Meal for Primary School pupils.
First, the FG has no business with the running of Primary schools. This is the responsibility of States and Local Government. However, Buhari's administration pledged to provide at least one meal per day for Primary school Children, we shall hold him accountable.
Cost Implication:
Osun State reportedly spent N3.2billion in 2014 for the feeding of 300,000 primary 1 to 4 pupils in the state. The Osun state program exclude pupils in Primary 5 and 6. If we are to break it per pupil, we will have N10,667 per pupil(ie 3.2b/300k). Considering that over 35million children are estimated to be enrolled in Primary school across the country, at least the sum of THREE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY THREEE BILLION (N373b) is estimated to be spent on the program annually(ie 35m * 10,667).

Gross Annual Estimated Cost For Both Programs
N1.5trn + N373b = N1.873trn

That means Buhari is to increase our Recurrent Expenditure by N1.83trn.

How Feasible Are These Programs?
Let us take a look at the key component of the 2015 Budget(as adjusted by the Senate).
Total Budget Stand at N4.3trn.
Recurrent Expenditure: N2.58 trillion
Capital Expenditure: N700 billion

From where will Buhari See N1.8trn To Service His Social Programs?
- Remove Subsidy? If he's thinking of scrapping fuel subsidy, the adjusted allocation for petrol subsidy in 2015 budget is N100billion. The adjusted allocation for SURE-P is N21b, while the subsidy for kerosene for 2015 was adjusted to N45.5b. This gives a total of N166.5b.
Even if he should scrap SURE-P and remove the petrol and kerosene subsidy, he still won't be able to get 1% of the N1.8trn.

- Spend All Capital Expenditure + Subsidy? Even if Buhari is to spend all our N700b Capital Expenditure on his Social program in addition to the N166.5billion subsidy funds, it still won't be enough as it will fall short of One Trillion Naira.
N700b + N166.5b= N866 billion

- Money Appropriated To NASS? The total budget for the National Assembly for 2015 is N115b. Even if Buhari is to spend this money + subsidy allocation + Capital Expenditure to fund his program, he won't be able to raise the required fund. As all appropriation combined stand at N981billion(ie N700b + N115b + N166b)

So How Does Buhari intend to raise N1.873trillion to fulfil this social welfare pledge? Does this mean the administration has failed even before starting? Dead on arrival?
www.nairaland.com/2265570/buhari-social-program-laudable-laughable

71 Likes 10 Shares

Re: President Buhari Vindicates Barcanista By Abandoning N5k/month Social Benefit by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:17am On Feb 28, 2016
After penning the first article(above) I was not only insulted by some Buhari die-hards on that thread, but a prominent Buharist(Obiagelli) and her group created a "counter thread" with intent of justifying the so-called program. This forced me to spend my precious time to present another view on the subject (below).

Despite the fact that I took my time to explain the financial health of Nigeria by using figures of 2014 and the proposed 2015 budget(as then was), die-hard Buharists still came for my head. Well, I knew that time would vindicate so I waited for that time, which surprisingly was yesterday.

2. [size=18pt]Buhari Social Program PART II: Feasible or Laughable?[/size]
Written: APRIL 20, 2015
PLEASE TAKE TIME TO READ

This thread is in response to the Thread by Obiagelli's https://www.nairaland.com/2265908/buharis-social-program-very-possible. In her bid to defend the Social policy of Mr Buhari, Obiagelli insulted the intelligence of Nigerians with respect to what is accrued to the Federal Government in revenue per fiscal year.

Nigeria's Revenue:
Nigeria's revenue is accrued through oil export, non oil export, oil tax and non oil tax. The Federal Inland Revenue Service is statutory responsible for the collection of both oil profit tax and non oil tax. The money for oil export goes directly to the Federation Account via the NNPC. The money generated via non oil export goes directly to the federation account through relevant Agencies.

Oil Revenue:
The total sum realised through Oil export(after operational cost) and oil profit tax is known as "Oil Revenue"

Non Oil Revenue
While the sum realised through export of other commodities(after operational cost) and the money realised from non oil profit tax is called "Non Oil Revenue".

What Did Nigeria Earn Between January 2014 and January 2015?
Nigeria Total Earning:

Jan 2014 - June 2014 = N5.109trn

June 2014 - Jan 2015= N3.676trn

Total: N8.785trn

Total Oil Revenue (Oil Export Earning + Oil taxes)
= 70% of Total Revenue ie N6.15trn

*Total Non Oil Revenue (Non Oil Export + Non oil taxes)
= 30% of N8.785trn ie N2.635 trn

Jan 2014- June 2014 = N1.08trn*
July 2014 - Jan 2015= N1.556trn [N2.635trn]

Understanding FIRS 2014 Report:
FIRS announced that the sum of N4.69trn was generated in 2014. The report indicated that N2.45 trillion, representing 52.96 per cent, was collected from petroleum profit tax while N2.24 trillion, representing 47.04 per cent, was collected from non-oil taxes during the period.

Analysis
This sum(N4.69trn) is not independent of the published N8.785trn that Nigeria was said to earn between Jan 2014 and January 2014. It is a part and parcel of the total revenue.

How Much Did FG Get In 2014?
There is a consolidated Sharing formula between FG, States, LGs and Oil Producin States(13%) after operational and other associated cost has been deducted.
FG Earnings In 2014
1st Qtr: N912 billion
2nd Qtr: N864.2 billion
3rd Qtr: N924.68 billon
4th Qtr: N617.186 billion
Total 2014= N3.318trn

2014 Budget: N4.6trn
FG Projected Earning for 2014= N3.73tr
Real Earning = N3.318trn
Deficit in 2014 Fiscal Year: N1.282trn

What this means is that the money accrued to the FG was not even enough to fund 2014 budget. We had a deficit of N1.282trn.
Also note that the fall in oil price affected our earning.

Looking At 2015 Budget:
The 2015 budget(as adjusted) stand at N4.3trn.
Projected Revenue For 2015= N3.603trn
Deficit: N1.297trn (N4.3trn - N3.603trn)

This means the 2015 budget will be run on deficit of N1.297trn (as confirmed by the Senate).

Looking At Buhari's Proposal
With Buhari's proposed N1.89tr Social program, it invariably means an additional N1.89trn will be added to the projected deficit of N1.29 trn ie N3.187trn if he is to go ahead with paying of N5000 to 25 million unemployed annually, from where will he be able to make up the HUGE deficit?.

Analysing The Argument of The Pro-Buharis
Some Pro-Buharis claim that the project will be done in phase of 5m people per year. However, the problem of "How to identify these 5m beneficiaries" and what will be the for selection?
Anyway, that is for another day. Let's go by their argument...
Unemployment benefit: 5m * N5000 = N300 billion.

*The N300b is for the payment benefit alone*. Add that to logistics, overhead and operational cost that the program will incur (approx 50% ie N150billion) annually.

Total: N300b + N150b = N450b

Feeding for 40m Public School Children = N373 billion.

Subtotal: N823 billion.

Where Will Buhari Source For the estimated N823 billion?

- Remove Subsidy? Total package for petrol and kerosene subsidies plus SURE-P fund = N166.5b. That is clearly not up to 30%.

- Invest All Capital Expenditure + Subsidy? This will be a very silly move though. But adding Capital Expenditure and Subsidy will total N866.9 billion. Just a little above the projected N823billion.
Going this route means there will be no project for road, no infrastructure and other capital projects. In fact, it is synonymous to eating the present away.

- Will He Borrow? Borrowing to fund Social Welfare program is synonymous to eating away the future. That means indebting our future and a panacea to economic collapse likened to what happened to Greece if not worse. It also means increasing our already projected deficit of N1.29 trillion

What is the fate of this Social program? Feasible, Laudable or Laughable?
www.nairaland.com/2267102/buhari-social-program-part-ii

41 Likes 5 Shares

Re: President Buhari Vindicates Barcanista By Abandoning N5k/month Social Benefit by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:18am On Feb 28, 2016
My Thought On Recent Development
I sympathise with millions of Nigerians that thumb-printed for President Buhari at the March 28 Presidential poll because of the prospect of "free" N5,000 monthly. And I believe that both Muhammadu Buhari and the APC owe these disappointed voters apology if they have any shred of honour in them.

Though I've never wished nor prayed for the failure of APC and Buhari, it has always been my position that this APC government has positioned itself on the path of failure. It is a shame that the party and government would deliberately play on the psyche of gullible Nigerians just because of power.

... To The "Blame Oil Price Fall Crew"
The price of crude oil started falling in June 2014 when Buhari was yet to even pick APC Nomination form. As at December 2014, the price of crude oil had dropped from $100 to $65 per barrel. As at March 28, 2015, the dollar had fallen further to $60 per barrel. So the oil price fall did not start in Fabruary 2016. It will be illogical and inappropriate to blame oil price for this. In fact, even when oil was at $120pb, Nigeria still borrow to fund some budgetary obligation.

May God Bless Us All and Bless Nigeria

137 Likes 9 Shares

Re: President Buhari Vindicates Barcanista By Abandoning N5k/month Social Benefit by DMerciful(m): 8:18am On Feb 28, 2016
To be sincere, a state where the populace have basic electoral knowledge, it will be difficult to scam them with frivolous and unrealistic promises like these but in Nigeria the masses lack basic electoral knowledge! Else they would have vehemently asked how these promises will be fulfilled but instead they even accepted nepabill as certificate. Enjoy your change but painfully I was dragged along undecided

FTC....... grin first time in history! Dedicated to all the Chelsea fans for our come-back cheesy

172 Likes 13 Shares

Re: President Buhari Vindicates Barcanista By Abandoning N5k/month Social Benefit by sdindan: 8:21am On Feb 28, 2016
Promise and fail is corruption.

Buhari should live by example

84 Likes 4 Shares

Re: President Buhari Vindicates Barcanista By Abandoning N5k/month Social Benefit by MyMouth(m): 8:23am On Feb 28, 2016
Barca doing all he can to catch the attention of the new PDP chairman!

72 Likes 7 Shares

Re: President Buhari Vindicates Barcanista By Abandoning N5k/month Social Benefit by ademega(m): 8:23am On Feb 28, 2016
he has a far better plan. he wants to teach how to fish not give fish. nice one Mr president.

yes ayam zombie from the west...

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: President Buhari Vindicates Barcanista By Abandoning N5k/month Social Benefit by oduastates: 8:25am On Feb 28, 2016
Ideas floated during a campaign does not necessarily mean policy.
It gives you a window into the campaign's priorities and gauge their engagement.
While some are realistic, others are not . A direct welfare program is destined to fail because we simply lack the mechanism and institutions to make them succeed. Starting from a database of who is unemployed to ghost recipients . Even Countries with advanced institutions have welfare policies that are plagued by fraud.
Also in a country with so many people with a sense of entitlement and very few taxpayers, you can expect civil disobedience if the government ever became incapable of paying the money after starting the program.

34 Likes 6 Shares

Re: President Buhari Vindicates Barcanista By Abandoning N5k/month Social Benefit by mynd1(f): 8:25am On Feb 28, 2016
Speechless.

2 Likes

Re: President Buhari Vindicates Barcanista By Abandoning N5k/month Social Benefit by eagleeye2: 8:26am On Feb 28, 2016
Before nko......whoever believes that Buhari will pay that 5k Stipend is living in foools paradise.

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: President Buhari Vindicates Barcanista By Abandoning N5k/month Social Benefit by chocolateme(f): 8:26am On Feb 28, 2016
Buhari saw administration as one family business that's why he is confused and is still wondering how "ABRAHAM" became the father of multitude and leader of many nations.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: President Buhari Vindicates Barcanista By Abandoning N5k/month Social Benefit by hungryboy(m): 8:27am On Feb 28, 2016
Oga Jobless Mr, oh sorry Barcanista,

You are always on point,
but you dey get time sha,

Abi are you one of the ex militants getting free government money every month?

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: President Buhari Vindicates Barcanista By Abandoning N5k/month Social Benefit by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:28am On Feb 28, 2016
sdindan:
Promise and fail is corruption.
Buhari should live by example

There is this APC friend of mine who was a serving Corp member during the electioneering period. She supported Buhari for this singular purpose claiming that "we have enough money to even pay everybody N10k monthly". I am yet to hear from her on her thought on this latest development. grin grin grin

83 Likes 7 Shares

Re: President Buhari Vindicates Barcanista By Abandoning N5k/month Social Benefit by DMerciful(m): 8:29am On Feb 28, 2016
Thou sayest!
ademega:
he has a far better plan. he wants to teach how to fish not give fish. nice one Mr president.

7 Likes

Re: President Buhari Vindicates Barcanista By Abandoning N5k/month Social Benefit by ChappyChase: 8:29am On Feb 28, 2016
ApC promised us change, now they've changed the promise!!!
Where are those maggots (Hungerbad,Mynd1 and co.) that were blasting barcanista for that previous article oya make una come defend una bubu!!!
TonyeBarcanista, putting Apc touts in a tight corner since April 2015!!!! Ride on bro and please try inform those clowns that call themselves ApC supporters that our waillers form has finished!
APC- A Party of clowns grin grin
APC- shame !!! cheesy cheesy

70 Likes 5 Shares

Re: President Buhari Vindicates Barcanista By Abandoning N5k/month Social Benefit by Jokerman(m): 8:29am On Feb 28, 2016
Looools... Presidiot buhari sef... he has denied d very last campaign promise... ds is unfair o... He doesn't ve money to pay the very poorest pple buh d fucker has money to travel to pray to an Idol... lols...
However its like Barcanista is nw receiving his egunje from PDP again....

18 Likes

Re: President Buhari Vindicates Barcanista By Abandoning N5k/month Social Benefit by eagleeye2: 8:30am On Feb 28, 2016
ademega:

So the APC didn't know of this better plan before they proceeded to promise millions of gullible youths the 5k Stipend.

I can never be disappointed by Buhari or APC.

55 Likes 3 Shares

Re: President Buhari Vindicates Barcanista By Abandoning N5k/month Social Benefit by drss(m): 8:31am On Feb 28, 2016
with d way APC dey deny their campaign promises left right n center, i wonder which promise dem go give in 2019.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: President Buhari Vindicates Barcanista By Abandoning N5k/month Social Benefit by GodpunishBuhari: 8:32am On Feb 28, 2016
This really is a sad news for ngeneukwenu and keneking, hungerbad and mynd1, wonder how they will be getting pissed now... not another scam again... lol...

Soon they will come here and find an excuse and say it's good that economy bad and it shd be given to agriculture... shame on em... hypocrites

58 Likes 4 Shares

Re: President Buhari Vindicates Barcanista By Abandoning N5k/month Social Benefit by scribble: 8:33am On Feb 28, 2016
Zombies come and see o

9 Likes

Re: President Buhari Vindicates Barcanista By Abandoning N5k/month Social Benefit by drss(m): 8:34am On Feb 28, 2016
eagleeye2:

So the APC didn't know of this better plan before they proceeded to promise millions of gullible youths the 5k Stipend.

APC scam dem with fake promises.
meanwhile, some ab.o.kis up north ar burning their brooms... grin

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: President Buhari Vindicates Barcanista By Abandoning N5k/month Social Benefit by Owoloku1: 8:36am On Feb 28, 2016
Concentrating on infrastructural development as proposed by Buhari is the best thing anybody can do for Nigerian youths..

Why give us ₦5000 when you can provide an environment for us to make ₦50000 monthly?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: President Buhari Vindicates Barcanista By Abandoning N5k/month Social Benefit by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:37am On Feb 28, 2016
DMerciful:
To be sincere, a state where the populace have basic electoral knowledge, it will be difficult to scam them with frivolous and unrealistic promises like these but in Nigeria the masses lack basic electoral knowledge! Else they would have vehemently asked how these promises will be fulfilled but instead they even accepted nepabill as certificate. Enjoy your change but painfully I was dragged along undecided
This is what happen when a country's population aren't enlighened enough and are always moved by emotions instead of rationality.

24 Likes

Re: President Buhari Vindicates Barcanista By Abandoning N5k/month Social Benefit by sdindan: 8:38am On Feb 28, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

There is this APC friend of mine who was a serving Corp member during the electioneering period. She supported Buhari for this singular purpose claiming that "we have enough money to even pay everybody N10k monthly". I am yet to hear from her on her thought on this latest development. grin grin grin

Just call her and tell her to go to national tv and apologise.

All of them will die in silence.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: President Buhari Vindicates Barcanista By Abandoning N5k/month Social Benefit by emzila(m): 8:38am On Feb 28, 2016
Looking At Buhari's Proposal
With Buhari's proposed N1.89tr Social program, it
invariably means an additional N1.89trn will be
added to the projected deficit of N1.29 trn ie
N3.187trn if he is to go ahead with paying of
N5000 to 25 million unemployed annually, from
where will he be able to make up the HUGE
deficit?.

THE SO CALLED BARCANISTA IS A BIG JOKER.
any reasonable JSS3 student will not find it difficult to understand that the deficit of 2015 and 2016, aside the social program can never be of the same. any reasonable Nigerian who is not alien to d recent developments would have understand that even if 2015 and 2016 budgets are as stated by barcanista, the budget deficit will not be 3.187trn considering the various sources of revenue by the new administration eg, the TSA which brings about 2trn into the new yr budget, the stamp duty, the increase custom revenue report etc. barcanista has just put up organized pieces of rubbish for the gullibles.

further more, teacher barcanista don't even understand that the social security program is not the function of 2015 budget but 2016 budget and until the budget is passed, one cannot clearly say that the president has failed in his promise.

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: President Buhari Vindicates Barcanista By Abandoning N5k/month Social Benefit by Jirate(m): 8:43am On Feb 28, 2016
eagleeye2:

Same with me my Brother.

7 Likes

Re: President Buhari Vindicates Barcanista By Abandoning N5k/month Social Benefit by chocolateme(f): 8:44am On Feb 28, 2016
MyMouth:
sometimes, it is good for the youths of the nation to partake in the political matters. It does not matter if its for recognition or not but all about not shying away and allowingthe incumbent ones to keep takin away our assumed unseriousness to the affairs of the nation irrespective of which party of interest. The show must go on.
What do you care about dear?

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: President Buhari Vindicates Barcanista By Abandoning N5k/month Social Benefit by Bryan37: 8:44am On Feb 28, 2016
Don't wail yet

Dey will soon abandon everything dey promised.

If being a wailer.

If being IPOB.

is what it takes to bring "real" change to diz country.

Then m proudly one.

15 Likes

Re: President Buhari Vindicates Barcanista By Abandoning N5k/month Social Benefit by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:45am On Feb 28, 2016
ChappyChase:
Where are those maggots that were blasting barcanista for that previous article oya make una come defend una bubu!!!
TonyeBarcanista, putting Apc touts in a tight corner since April 2015!!!! Ride on bro and please try inform those clowns that call themselves ApC supporters that our waillers form has finished!
Lemme see he opionion of NgeneUkwenu and Progressive01

8 Likes

Re: President Buhari Vindicates Barcanista By Abandoning N5k/month Social Benefit by greatiyk4u(m): 8:51am On Feb 28, 2016
U are. Quick to commend urself on this prediction but 4get to condemn urself for some many of ur failed prophecies/predictions on Buhari/APC/PDP and Nigeria in general.

My only problem with u is lack of consistency in believe/faith making u look too flexible to be trusted.

Well done for this job, but then remb that the 5k can be paid in different kinds that may be more beneficial and sustainable to the beneficiaries.

Buhari may not be the best but surely not like the REST.

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: President Buhari Vindicates Barcanista By Abandoning N5k/month Social Benefit by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:54am On Feb 28, 2016
Owoloku1:
Concentrating on infrastructural development as proposed by Buhari is the best thing anybody can do for Nigerian youths..

Why give us ₦5000 when you can provide an environment for us to make ₦50000 monthly?
Very funny guy. So you guys didn't know this when you were deceiving Nigerians with such promise and giving false hope to the gullible?

16 Likes

Re: President Buhari Vindicates Barcanista By Abandoning N5k/month Social Benefit by HisSexcellency(m): 8:58am On Feb 28, 2016
MyMouth:
hypocrite, so that is all you got from the entire writeup.
I pity your state of mind, blinded by emotions you refused to see what is staring you in the face

20 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Monorail: Wike Is A Shameless Liar – Amaechi / Unpaid Kogi Workers Protest Against Yahaya Bello (Photos) / Brown Knowledge Anderson Dies In Hotel Room

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.