Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,690 members, 7,816,823 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:54 PM

Impending IPO Of Dangote Sugar Refinery - Investment (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Impending IPO Of Dangote Sugar Refinery (12440 Views)

Twitter IPO Updates / NSE freezes share price of Conoil, Dangote Sugar And 26 Others / Dangote Sugar Refinery Shares: 18 Naira At IPO, Now 56 Naira! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Impending IPO Of Dangote Sugar Refinery by prettysly(f): 4:10pm On Nov 10, 2006
Hi all
am interested in buying the shares too.

pls i need more information on this and i think this is going to be big.

contact me on sylvia2000ng@yahoo.com
Re: Impending IPO Of Dangote Sugar Refinery by frankiriri(m): 9:48pm On Nov 10, 2006
@prettysly

Thank Goodness there are some more female nairalanders that are interested in stocks.
All you need to do is to ask at any bank or stockbroking firm for the forms.
Please read the abridged prospectus before buying. Even tho I know its a good offer u still need to get into the habit of looking at the financials before investing
Re: Impending IPO Of Dangote Sugar Refinery by jesuseun1(m): 12:30am On Nov 11, 2006
hi gbengaijot,the stockbroker i use is LIONSTOCK BROKER.12 floor,they are situated in marina

lagos,beside General Post office,u can go and see them for advice.
Re: Impending IPO Of Dangote Sugar Refinery by frankiriri(m): 12:53am On Nov 11, 2006
@gbengaijot
Preach it bro grin
@freelance
If you're in anyway learned about stocks u would know that mutual funds are best suited for individuals that do no have the time or temperant to be involved in stocks directly.
They also enable the small investor participate in a wider range of stocks and thus limit the individuals exposure to the risk of loss on any one stock.
A much hallowed benefit iof mutual funds is the professional management of such funds.

Whenever you are making an arguement on such issues please state all the factsso that your audience can make a better decision

No bad feelings
I aint dissing just telling it the way it is
Re: Impending IPO Of Dangote Sugar Refinery by egoldman(m): 8:22am On Nov 11, 2006
thank God for this forum , i seem to have learned alot and would still learn more ,now i know that i or my brother (am not based in nigeria ) could walk into one of the authorised banks and buy the shares there ,
now after buying the shares ,how do i monitor the tocks of the company to know when it has gone up or down ,do i need to use teh services of stockbrokers to do this or does dangote sugar have some site where one could see their share price anytime ,
also how do i see this stocks again if i decide to sell them ? must i use a stock broker a not ?

thanks people,still learning a lot in here .
Re: Impending IPO Of Dangote Sugar Refinery by egoldman(m): 8:27am On Nov 11, 2006
there is one thing thought that disturbs me about dangote company ,as we all know that he is very close to the government ,who knows weather the next government would like dangote's face or not ? don't u think this might impact negatively on the companies shares if the next government would not like the favors and privileges that dangote currently enjoy ? could someone plz throw some light on this ,thanks .
Re: Impending IPO Of Dangote Sugar Refinery by joshO: 9:03am On Nov 11, 2006
All investment entails a certain degree of risk, however, make no mistake about it. Whatever goverment comes in will not be adverse to Dangote. His business empire has survived many successive goverments and will continue to do so.
Re: Impending IPO Of Dangote Sugar Refinery by egoldman(m): 9:06am On Nov 11, 2006
josho do u really have some details you might point to as the reason why u think the next government would still do favors to dangote ?
Re: Impending IPO Of Dangote Sugar Refinery by gbengaijot(m): 2:20pm On Nov 11, 2006
I personally don't invest any money that i cant lose. In each stock, i never buy more than 1000 units at a go.

Do you have the website for lionstock? or a telephone number. I dont live in nigeria so i cant visit them. at least for now.
Re: Impending IPO Of Dangote Sugar Refinery by joshO: 7:28pm On Nov 11, 2006
josho do u really have some details you might point to as the reason why u think the next government would still do favors to dangote ?

Dangote is perhaps the leading business mogul in Nigeria today and has been for more than a decade. Unlike Mike Adenuga who we all know is little more than a front for IBB and Atiku, Dangote cuts accross the political divide and is genuinely wealthy with solid connections locally and internationally. Soon, most of his companies will be part owned by Nigerians, making it more difficult for any goverment to scuttle (Unlike the likes of OBJ farms, GlobalCom) which are essentially one man businesses.

Dangote is also smart, shrewd and more politically savvy than his contemporaries. He may not be directly involved in politics, but his influence runs deep and is likely to remain so for the forseable future.
Re: Impending IPO Of Dangote Sugar Refinery by Nobody: 11:47pm On Nov 11, 2006
Why are people supporting a monopolistic market, this guy is monopolizing the commodity market in Nigeria., that is not good for the economy. We all know he is enjoying government patronage or how does he explaing his support for Andy Uba the special assistant to the ugly one(OBJ) and this is the man who smuggle thousand of dollars in presidential plane to USA and use the money to buy equipment for obasanjo's farm.
Re: Impending IPO Of Dangote Sugar Refinery by egoldman(m): 6:32am On Nov 12, 2006
joshO:

Soon, most of his companies will be part owned by Nigerians, making it more difficult for any goverment to scuttle (Unlike the likes of OBJ farms, GlobalCom) which are essentially one man businesses.

sounds good u know ,but the thing is when did nigerian leaders start having the intrestes of the ,masses at heart ,by protecting peoples stocks ,are they not much more intrested in revenge and getting wealth for themselves ,do u think if someone that hates obj gets there he would not like deal with all obj friends and we have seen our leaders done b4 ,i have good to invest in dangote stocks ,but someone i feel it might be better to wait after the hand over ,what u guys think ,not trying to sound too pesimistic . cool
Re: Impending IPO Of Dangote Sugar Refinery by joshO: 10:06am On Nov 12, 2006
Andy Uba the special assistant to the ugly one(OBJ) and this is the man who smuggle thousand of dollars in presidential plane to USA and use the money to buy equipment for obasanjo's farm.

What has this got to do with the argument here, besides we're talking about 170,000 dollars here, that's nothing compared to what major crooks including Atiku have been known to smuggle into the US under diplomatic cover.

but someone i feel it might be better to wait after the hand over ,what u guys think ,not trying to sound too pesimistic

These are important considerations that should be taken into account by discerning investors. It's always important to weigh all risks as trivial as they may seem, afterall, there could be a coup, Nigeria could descend into a civil war, the stock market could implode, the 'Taleban' in the north may take over Nigeria etc etc, Speculation has been rife since the end of the civil war in Nigeria about this and that, whilst the likes of Aliko Dangote took the sort of risks that have put them where they are today whilst the rest of us sit on the fence,

The higher the risks, the higher the return. I'm prepared to take my chances now.
Re: Impending IPO Of Dangote Sugar Refinery by frankiriri(m): 10:09am On Nov 12, 2006
@gbengaijot
U can monitor your investments by buying through a stock
broker with a good internet presence. I would have recommended IBTC but since you say you dont invest much Im not sure you can use them. They only handle stocks for high networth individuals . Im sure they wont touch investments that are less than 500k.

But you can go to Secutities and exchange commissions website for the addresses of all the stockbrokers and then check out thier websites.
Even if you dont invest through ibtc you cn check stock prices by logging onto thier web site.
Ur brother could also be monitoring the prices throug local newspapers as all of them carry the prices on a daily basis.

On the risk of Dangote losing because of Obj I dont think that its possible. The worst that would happen is that another goverment may liberalise the market and make it more competitive and even at that Dangote has the wherewithal to face competition.
All the same government policies have a long gestation period and so you can take necessary steps to protect your position if you are vigilant
Re: Impending IPO Of Dangote Sugar Refinery by frankiriri(m): 10:20am On Nov 12, 2006
@josho
The issue at stake in the andy uba saga is not the amount that he took in but thefact that he used his position to launder money.
Let's stop confusing issues and supporting bad things.
That Atiku might be gulty of worse crimes does not justify the commission of lesser crimes.
All of them should be brought to book.

On the risk taking issue, I feel u. One has to take the bull by the horns. In spite of all the brouhaha about Transorp I am still going to invest because I believe in the viability of such a vehicle.
Re: Impending IPO Of Dangote Sugar Refinery by joshO: 11:29pm On Nov 12, 2006
Andy Uba should be investigated to ascertain the source of his stupendious wealth. That's the investigation that interests me and that would be of benefit to Nigeria. He reached a settlement in the US for carrying undeclared funds exceeding the upper limit - this is a common offence for which many many Nigerians are guilty off. Whilst not excusing this criminal act, it does not in itself constitute money laundering which is a more serious crime in the statutes.

I hear he has become stupendiously wealthy since he became OBJ's right hand man, so I'll be happy for him to explain to the EFCC and Nigerians how he acquired his wealth and any ill-goten wealth confisticated.

2007 is fast approaching, therefore, political over-expression and manipulation is rife. I would rather we stay focused lest we play into the hands of the those seeking one vendetta or the other.
Re: Impending IPO Of Dangote Sugar Refinery by frankiriri(m): 3:27am On Nov 13, 2006
If u read statement issued by the US authorities you would realise that he actually commited the crime of money laundering. Though he claimed that the monies were his savings he colud not provide any evidence of how he came about that much in cash. He had also been wiring money through the bank to the lady in question but in that case he refused to wire it fueling suspisions that he is trying to hide the money.
This seemingly small offense can make public officials resign in other climes.
If you remember Fela was arrested by the Nigerian government for the same offence and he was actually tried and jailed for money laudering.
So why not Andy Uba
Re: Impending IPO Of Dangote Sugar Refinery by hbrednic: 5:07pm On Nov 13, 2006
can somebody tell mr uba and all the politically get rich quick, than they can still invest in nigeria,directly and indirectly helping to solve the problem of poverty amoung us.while the so called 419 people are bringing in money into the country,our leaders are busy smuggling the money outside ready to pay the huge taxes on it.oyibo will be using the money to finance there economy and call us fools.we have to be proud of people like dangote who demonstrate faith in nigeria by investing and still investing in the country despite all odds.(no apologies for 419 but our leaders are worst than them)
Re: Impending IPO Of Dangote Sugar Refinery by hbrednic: 5:14pm On Nov 13, 2006
can somebody tell mr uba and all the politically get rich quick, than they can still invest in nigeria,directly and indirectly helping to solve the problem of poverty amoung us.while the so called 419 people are bringing in money into the country,our leaders are busy smuggling the money outside ready to pay the huge taxes on it.oyibo will be using the money to finance there economy and call us fools.we have to be proud of people like dangote who demonstrate faith in nigeria by investing and still investing in the country despite all odds.(no apologies for 419 but our leaders are worst than them)
Re: Impending IPO Of Dangote Sugar Refinery by frankiriri(m): 5:51pm On Nov 13, 2006
@hbrednic
I feel u bro.
We've derailed from the issue at hand & started discussing andy Uba. Let's leave them to thier politics and wat for the right time to have our say- by votingthem out.
Meanwhile we have to concentrate on building our own business empires. grin grin grin
Re: Impending IPO Of Dangote Sugar Refinery by IykeD1(m): 10:41pm On Nov 13, 2006
For God's sake what has Andy Uba got to do with Dangote Sugar Refinery IPO

Like joshO said earlier, people have been predicting the fall/breakup of Nigeria for
over 40 years now, that is a major reason why most people don't invest in Nigeria.
But having said that, we have seen the likes of Dangote, Jim Ovia, the Ibrus, and
other lesser known Nigerians amass great wealth political connections aside by
believing and investing in the country.
Here is an insight,

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features/ceomagazine/2005/mar/28/ceomagazine-28-03-2005-001.htm

Political risk is real in Nigeria, but at the same time the return of investment is far
higher in Nigeria than in most of the world. The way I see it, if the stock market can
survive three successive coups, I don't see why it can't now. I may be naive, but
without the exception of MASSOB and the various splinter group in the Niger Delta,
no one is that big on secession right now. For the most parts, the masses in all
parts of the country are the victims of bad leadership.

The thinking was that once the oil dries up, the mass exodus of the multi-national
companies will cause things to fall apart, however, that is not coming any time soon,
as Nigeria is poised once again to be among the top 10 suppliers of natural gas to
the world. To put it mildly, in a couple of years, Nigeria will soon be earning more
revenue from natural gas than oil. As long as the world is still energy-hungry and we
have some oil and gas reserves, the powers that be domestically and internaitonally
we see to it that Nigeria remains bandaged up.
Re: Impending IPO Of Dangote Sugar Refinery by kg(f): 10:47pm On Nov 14, 2006
Good performance in time past, most likely a good buy but be mindful of political risk, if anything gets shaky pull out fast!
Re: Impending IPO Of Dangote Sugar Refinery by joshO: 2:41pm On Nov 16, 2006
I hear TransCorp IPO is also due in the the next 2 - 3 weeks. Not sure what TransCorp shares will go for, but after reviewing all available material, in the circumstances, in my opinion, TransCorp and DSR represents the best value for money in the stock market this side of the year (inspite of the percieved risks).

Therefore, I'll classify both as a must buy.
Re: Impending IPO Of Dangote Sugar Refinery by ntuedor(m): 4:00pm On Nov 16, 2006
Hello frank, are y still online, pls let me know more about the DVCF funds share offer
Rgds,
ntuedor
Re: Impending IPO Of Dangote Sugar Refinery by frankiriri(m): 2:56am On Nov 17, 2006
The offer has been extended. U can download the offer application form online @ dvcfonline.com
I suggest you pick uo the prospectus and take a look at it.
I bought 15000 units today ( I've go keep money for other offers)
Re: Impending IPO Of Dangote Sugar Refinery by gbengaijot(m): 9:31am On Nov 17, 2006
THey are selling the units, are they listed on the nigeria stock exchange?

I have downloaded and printed the forms, how do i make payments?, frankirri, which bank did you pay to?,
Re: Impending IPO Of Dangote Sugar Refinery by frankiriri(m): 1:02pm On Nov 17, 2006
U can pay at any branch of First Bank . THe account is indicated on the site dvcfonline.com
I bought through a stockbroker.
Have you purchased the Dangote
The forms are out.
Collected one today.

Allso there's a new fund by Oceanic
Its called Oceanic Vintage
I haven't had the time to go through the prospectus.
When I have read it I'll comment on it
Re: Impending IPO Of Dangote Sugar Refinery by bioye(m): 1:47pm On Nov 17, 2006
Websites of Nigerian Stockbrokers - http://www.karakataonline.com/stockbrokers.html
Websites with good information about nigerian stock market - http://www.karakataonline.com/investing.html

I personally never buy IPOs for the following reasons:  At the end of the IPO, the price starts to rise steeply.  However you wont be able to gain from this.  Because it takes months before you will receive the share certificate, and even more months before you immobilise it at the CSCS.  Therefore automatically your money is tied down for at least 3 months to 6 months. 

If you are a long term investor who is confident of dividends at the end of the year, no problem.  But if you are someone who would like to gain from price appreciation in the short term or you would want to quickly opt out if the stock performs miserably, then wait till after the IPO and buy it on the floors of the stock exchange through your stockbroker.  That's my little advice.

Good luck everyone.
Re: Impending IPO Of Dangote Sugar Refinery by gbengaijot(m): 2:55pm On Nov 17, 2006
@frankirir, thanks man. I avent got the form, man i leave in manchester Uk, so i am going to ask y brother to get it for me. And then buy the IPo thru it.

any ideas??
Re: Impending IPO Of Dangote Sugar Refinery by igbonla(m): 3:25pm On Nov 19, 2006
Re: Impending IPO Of Dangote Sugar Refinery by frankiriri(m): 1:56pm On Nov 20, 2006
@ igbonla

U have a point there but as has been said earilier there is no gian without taking risks.
In fact only the dead can avoid taking risks.
I buy my stocks after ensuring that I am satisfied with the fundamentals of the company.
While I may want to trade in the short term I am prepared to hold any stock for the long haul as long as it's fundamentals justify such a position.
In this instant case, Dangote is a good buy for the long haul and even if the price falls after the IPO I will buy more. Its a concept called naira cost averaging cool
Re: Impending IPO Of Dangote Sugar Refinery by joshO: 5:08pm On Nov 22, 2006
I've just read an article that TransCorp is listing @ N6 very shortly, also, that the IPO will be at the same N6 per share. Does anyone have confirmation of this, as if it is true (which I doubt), it may be the bargain of the year!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Make Your First Million Naira In 80days With Watermelon Farm Business / Uniqueness Of Land Banking / Beware MMM, Has Crashed In Nigeria, MMM Crashes In Nigeria?,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.