Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,968 members, 7,835,227 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:20 AM

Road Safety Officer Carrying Guns? (see Photo) - Crime (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Road Safety Officer Carrying Guns? (see Photo) (41751 Views)

Armed Robbery Gang Arrested In Kwara. See How They Hid Their Guns. Photos / Fulani Men Carrying Guns At A Filling Station In Zamfara (pics) / Road Safety Officials Beaten In Anambra By Angry Mob. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Road Safety Officer Carrying Guns? (see Photo) by kaelz(m): 6:08pm On Feb 29, 2016
PoliticalThuG:
It usually happens when a dullard rules a country
Please ur brain needs SAP (Structural Adjustment Programming) to function properly again!!

1 Like

Re: Road Safety Officer Carrying Guns? (see Photo) by loomer: 6:19pm On Feb 29, 2016
TheAdvocate:

Yu call 10 bullets only? Do yu know that a single bullet can kill 10 people? Even a half bullet from an AK47 is not a joke. It's a high assault rifle.

Chai 10people, shey na chuck norris abi na rambo movie u see am?
Re: Road Safety Officer Carrying Guns? (see Photo) by Nobody: 6:24pm On Feb 29, 2016
Acidosis:
It takes heavy courage to stand on the road without a gun. How would they defend themselves when attacked?

NDLEA officers use rifles on the road, so I think certain FRSC officers need to be armed.
ndlea are up against the most violent organised criminals. Road safety ain't against any armed culprit as a target if now traffic wardens should be armed too
Re: Road Safety Officer Carrying Guns? (see Photo) by Acidosis(m): 7:02pm On Feb 29, 2016
chrysblaise:
ndlea are up against the most violent organised criminals. Road safety ain't against any armed culprit as a target if now traffic wardens should be armed too

Do you know the risk they undergo on the highways?

Why are people comparing highways with boys scot? I purposely ignored the first guy that quoted me, because I'm tired of arguing over some issues on Nairaland.

I personally cannot stand on a major highway without a gun. If I get a job with the FRSC and my job demands that I stand on the highway without a gun, I would get myself sacked.

Traffic wardens do not stand on the highway. Boys scot do not stand on the highway, vigilantes do, but they all make use of gun, including the policeman.

Some of these FRSC guys have their offices in the 'bush' where anyone can easily go to attack them giving the number of offenders they meet daily. How will they protect themselves and the cars?

FRSC officers just like Civil defence deserve well armed combatants. Just so you know, not all NDLEA guys are armed, not all policemen are armed, same with civil defence guys and Customs.

Walk into any Passport office and tell me whether you won't see pistols and rifles.

1 Like

Re: Road Safety Officer Carrying Guns? (see Photo) by Nobody: 7:34pm On Feb 29, 2016
So that means high way maintenance workers or red cross ambulance workers that assist people on the high way should carry guns too. We should stop arming every group the amount of weapons outside Nigerian arm storage facilities is much and it will get to a stage it will be hard to control.
Re: Road Safety Officer Carrying Guns? (see Photo) by Nobody: 7:44pm On Feb 29, 2016
PoliticalThuG:
It usually happens when a dullard rules a country
No, it happens in a country where some citizens are dumb & need to know what self defence is.
Re: Road Safety Officer Carrying Guns? (see Photo) by nothingspoil70: 9:27pm On Feb 29, 2016
190:
na them sabi notin concern me and them
By the time they start shooting you for not wearing your seat belt or not having a fire extinguisher in your car you will know that it concerns you
Re: Road Safety Officer Carrying Guns? (see Photo) by Rhea(f): 2:34am On Mar 01, 2016
aqueenlinda:
If my memories aren't twinging from what i recall, the Nigerian law doesn't allow Federal Road Safety Commission staffs to use gun. How come he get to carry one? The Facebook user who shared the photo online spotted the man on a busy road wielding the rife. View photo below...

http://www.queensnewsblog.com/2016/02/road-safety-start-carrying-guns-see.html

[size=18pt]This is an armed robber[/size]
Re: Road Safety Officer Carrying Guns? (see Photo) by pesuwe(m): 6:08am On Mar 01, 2016
This officer is my friend oh,we all grow up in the same area before God answer our prayers,i will advice him not to be posting this kind of pictures online again.
Re: Road Safety Officer Carrying Guns? (see Photo) by Tennyrank(m): 6:53am On Mar 01, 2016
It is quite unfortunate that anything happens in Nigeria. I have never seen in any part of the world where traffic control/safety official bear arms. We are here complaining about proliferation of arms yet we are creating avenues that will let arms into the hands of criminals. Tomorrow you will hear of accidental discharge killing innocent motorists. You will hear that a deployment of those "combatant" as they call them, are attacked by hoodlums and their arms carted away.
Growing up then police used to effect arrest with baton and people dreaded them but over the years as society decay they started carrying rifles every where as if Nigeria is in a state of emergency, yet they are not garnering the respect even with their extra judicial killing of innocent Nigerians.
Until corruption crept into FRSC, it was respected and feared even more than police on the road by commuters even as they were not carrying arms. If they feel insecurity along the road, why not stick to the way they have been going about it I,e operate just side by side other security agencies around the police or military check points.
I might be wrong in my assessment but my take these days is that road safety officials contribute more to accidents these days than averting same. In that regard, they are more involved in the revenue generation for the country through issuance of driver licences and other permits. If they were alive to their responsibilities Nigeria would have seen a goldmine in the revenue that will be generated from trafficking offences and spare the roads of some mad drivers like it is in other climes.
Yes, there are some law enforcement agencies that must carry arms, like NDLEA. Fight to curb drug trafficking or peddling all across the globe is not a jolly ride. But must we now arm all other enforcement agencies? No. I can assure you that now that road safety is allow to bear arms VIO will be pursuing same as well as Fire Service. That is the kind of country we live in and the kind we want to leave for our children's children. We must rise against arming FRSC
Re: Road Safety Officer Carrying Guns? (see Photo) by omotades: 8:15am On Mar 01, 2016
Nbote:
Road safety don't use guns or any weapons at dat. He probably used d rifle to pose for a photograph considering the parked police van nxt to theirs. They don't need guns to check vehicle license and registration.
The act establishing FRSC made provision for carrying weapons. It's an operational feeling that the motoring public can be related with without a recourse to use of weapons. A lot of arms trainings have been done to that effect........cheers
Re: Road Safety Officer Carrying Guns? (see Photo) by omotades: 8:17am On Mar 01, 2016
Latty88:
FRSC have been authorized and trained to carry arms. It started since last year during their last recruitment.
Act establishing FRSC since 1988 made provision for carrying weapons. It's an operational feeling that the motoring public can be related with without a recourse to use of weapons. A lot of arms trainings have been done to that effect........cheers
Re: Road Safety Officer Carrying Guns? (see Photo) by omotades: 8:19am On Mar 01, 2016
Sijo01:
I was told about a year+ ago that the FRSC have been licensed to carry gun and as at when I got the info, some officials were said to be on training on how to use fire arms.......... Maybe they've started implementing it.
The Act establishing FRSC since 1988 made provision for carrying weapons. It's an operational feeling that the motoring public can be related with without a recourse to use of weapons. A lot of arms trainings have been done to that effect........
Re: Road Safety Officer Carrying Guns? (see Photo) by omotades: 8:30am On Mar 01, 2016
TheAdvocate:

Lie! They did arms training but the law doesn't allow them and they don't carry guns. In fact not even a handcuff or baton.
The Act establishing FRSC since 1988 made provision for carrying weapons. It's an operational feeling that the motoring public can be related with without a recourse to use of weapons. A lot of arms trainings have been done to that effect. Y arms trainings when it's not approved to carry weapons. What u don't know can be damaging..
Re: Road Safety Officer Carrying Guns? (see Photo) by omotades: 8:35am On Mar 01, 2016
Acidosis:

Do you know the risk they undergo on the highways?

Why are people comparing highways with boys scot? I purposely ignored the first guy that quoted me, because I'm tired of arguing over some issues on Nairaland.

I personally cannot stand on a major highway without a gun. If I get a job with the FRSC and my job demands that I stand on the highway without a gun, I would get myself sacked.

Traffic wardens do not stand on the highway. Boys scot do not stand on the highway, vigilantes do, but they all make use of gun, including the policeman.

Some of these FRSC guys have their offices in the 'bush' where anyone can easily go to attack them giving the number of offenders they meet daily. How will they protect themselves and the cars?

FRSC officers just like Civil defence deserve well armed combatants. Just so you know, not all NDLEA guys are armed, not all policemen are armed, same with civil defence guys and Customs.

Walk into any Passport office and tell me whether you won't see pistols and rifles.
You are on point.....are u with FRSC?
Re: Road Safety Officer Carrying Guns? (see Photo) by Nbote(m): 9:24am On Mar 01, 2016
omotades:
The act establishing FRSC made provision for carrying weapons. It's an operational feeling that the motoring public can be related with without a recourse to use of weapons. A lot of arms trainings have been done to that effect........cheers

I guess such provision was made based on the fact dat it's a paramilitary body. But with regards to the foto, I still think he merely posed for a photograph with a policeman's rifle.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria Police Killed 20 Yrs Old Girl, Shoot A Boy In Ajegunle - Rugged Man / Lagos Couple Sentenced To 16 Years Imprisonment Over Maid's Death (Photos) / Keke Driver Stabbed To Death During N350 Argument (Disturbing Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.