Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,851 members, 7,828,078 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:45 PM

Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? (11578 Views)

It Is Better Not To Be Employed Than To Be In A Wrong Place / 5000 Nigerians To Be Employed As TSTV Launches October 1st / Fg Should Also Have A Registration Programme For The Under-employed. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by Tegasmoney(m): 9:02am On Mar 02, 2016
I nearly died when I saw my jamb result but just 4me to wake up dis morning jamb gave me gud 40marks..thank God I deserve it
Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by Oladimejyy(m): 9:03am On Mar 02, 2016
As for me i want to become an accountant and i want to learn how to make suit...I will be working as an accountant and my salary i will use it to buy land and start a company making suit

1 Like

Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by Adebowale89(m): 9:06am On Mar 02, 2016
if you dont build your dream another person we hire u to build theirs for them and u will be paid for the service&not for your potentials

d fact is been employed would get u rich while self employed could guarantee the building of your wealth

1 Like

Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by Vick4rill(m): 9:23am On Mar 02, 2016
What matters is the income once make, talking about self employment, their re some of our igbo brothers who dont even ve upto 50k goods in their shop, is some one earning as little as 40k nt better than him,? What matters is wat gives u more income nd ignite ur passion, been it employment or self employment

1 Like

Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by fxstory(m): 9:23am On Mar 02, 2016
self employed all the way
Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by DarryOsh(m): 9:25am On Mar 02, 2016
fyneboi79:
By under employment the english dictionary defines it as "working in a job where you can't use all your skills or where there is not enough work for you to do".
And to be self employed we know it means for us to start something of our own to generate income. Most times our passion comes to play. But a good percentage of Nigerian graduates are under employed. Doctors and engineers working in banks. English and economics graduates becoming teachers even though they didn't study under education and lots more too numerous to mention. I was under employed but I quit February 8 to pursue my own dreams. Though they want me to come back but I really want what's best for my future so I am turning down the offer. What would you do if faced with under employment?
Op, it is possible to be underemployed while being self employed. The two are not mutually exclusive.

1 Like

Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by legaxi(m): 9:25am On Mar 02, 2016
A lot of self employed folks are under employed
Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by AMI3(m): 9:26am On Mar 02, 2016
when i read wonderful comment from pple about been self employ i feel like shouting but i no fit shout.

Most people in my state even in my family feel like if you are not working for some body you are not working, they want to see you moving around from office to office looking for job that does not exist even if it exist and you are qualify the first thing they have to look at is your surname to know if your family are prominent people in the society.

i thank all for the motivation because i have a dream and i have to follow my dream.
Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by Ramanto(m): 9:27am On Mar 02, 2016
Integrityfarms:

When your salary does not worth your qualifications you are under employed. If you a degree holder but working as a gateman you are underemployed

WHAT IF YOU ARE A GATEMAN WITH A DIFFERENCE? I.E GATEMAN FOR OBAMA AND EARNING FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS MONTHLY. FROM THAT PERSPECTIVE, WOULD YOU STILL TERM IT 'UNDEREMPLOYMENT'?
Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by Nobody: 9:29am On Mar 02, 2016
fyneboi79:
Seems everyone is now self employed? Well that's good!
Not really undecided

I mean saying self employed .. Pepper seller is self employed
Bread seller self employed , erm those ppl that fry yam n make roasted plantain self employed

But doesnt mean the quality of life is better than those who works under another.. Think op should b specific ..
Even drug dealers are self employed
Criminials self employed dont mean its the lick tho

1 Like

Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by Misterdhee1(m): 9:29am On Mar 02, 2016
You have to be a servant, to learn how to be a boss.. The long term goal should be minding your own business sha!!
Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by Ramanto(m): 9:32am On Mar 02, 2016
Tegasmoney:
I nearly died when I saw my jamb result but just 4me to wake up dis morning jamb gave me gud 40marks..thank God I deserve it
YOU JUST WROTE JAMB? YOU DONT HAVE ANY BUSINESS WITH THIS THREAD.

IN OTHER NEWS, I SAY A BIG CONGRATULATIONS TO U. YOUR ADMISSION IS SURE
Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by Dom2020: 9:32am On Mar 02, 2016
the best in life, it's for one to be his own boss
Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by Ramanto(m): 9:34am On Mar 02, 2016
DarryOsh:

Op, it is possible to be underemployed while being self employed. The two are not mutually exclusive.
YOU READ ECONOMICS? YOU SOUND LIKE ONE
Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by fyneboi79(m): 9:38am On Mar 02, 2016
BumBae:

Not really undecided

I mean saying self employed .. Pepper seller is self employed
Bread seller self employed , erm those ppl that fry yam n make roasted plantain self employed

But doesnt mean the quality of life is better than those who works under another.. Think op should b specific ..
Even drug dealers are self employed
Criminials self employed dont mean its the lick tho

Bros as salary earners get grade na so self employed sef get. Most of those ones are drop out self employed. I believe you didn't go to the University for nothing. grin
Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by cocoduck: 9:38am On Mar 02, 2016
modik:

My response:

"You have a roof over your head because somebody was courageous to start the foundation, you have a mango and orange to leak because somebody planted a seed, also you have an office to work in simply because somebody started a business"

Bottom line : Live your dream else your dream will leave you.
English na wa, you don't leak orange, they are eaten, by the way it is lick not leak

1 Like

Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by cocoduck: 9:39am On Mar 02, 2016
modik:

My response:

"You have a roof over your head because somebody was courageous to start the foundation, you have a mango and orange to leak because somebody planted a seed, also you have an office to work in simply because somebody started a business"

English na wa, you don't leak oranges, they are eaten, by the way, it is lick not leak.
Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by azz19: 9:39am On Mar 02, 2016
Starting something frm somewhr is the hardest part. Considering this era of hyper inflation, incessant power outage and others this might be the most difficult time for start-ups.

1 Like

Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by fyneboi79(m): 9:41am On Mar 02, 2016
DarryOsh:

You can never be under employed while you are self employed because you have the time to pursue ur dreams and passions without restrictions except one is lazy grin
Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by Nobody: 9:41am On Mar 02, 2016
fyneboi79:
Bros as salary earners get grade na so self employed sef get. Most of those ones are drop out self employed. I believe you didn't go to the University for nothing. grin
Lol ur head they there grin

Nah so one guy toast me one hot summer day ...
Telling me his own his own company ... So i was intrigued like ehen is that so

Then i found out that he goes around knocking on doors n adks the tenants if they want their premises cleaned etc ... For like 20 naira
Im like undecided undecided undecided undecided
Anyway at least his still trying

Ps nothing wrong in cleaning but forming ceo grin
Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by fyneboi79(m): 9:46am On Mar 02, 2016
BumBae:

Lol ur head they there grin

Nah so one guy toast me one hot summer day ...
Telling me his own his own company ... So i was intrigued like ehen is that so

Then i found out that he goes around knocking on doors n adks the tenants if they want their premises cleaned etc ... For like 20 naira
Im like undecided undecided undecided undecided
Anyway at least his still trying

Ps nothing wrong in cleaning but forming ceo grin
Of course he is d CEO and don't be suprised when next you see him and he has a cleaning vehicle.pls learn to encourage hard work. What if he was knocking on doors with a gun to steal Una go say useless thief.
My CEO carry on joor!
Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by Nobody: 9:48am On Mar 02, 2016
fyneboi79:
Of course he is d CEO and don't be suprised when next you see him and he has a cleaning vehicle.pls learn to encourage hard work. What if he was knocking on doors with a gun to steal Una go say useless thief.
My CEO carry on joor!
Lol hence why i said his trying ... Not down playing his work read what i wrote properly .. Just saying everyone can claim self employed not everyone walks the walk tho .. No need bigging urself up to a level n then you find out your not on that level .. If his a cleaner he could have said yes , i just started a new cleaning job , baby steps. Etc now i will respect that grin

1 Like

Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by Kennycyphers(m): 9:55am On Mar 02, 2016
Integrityfarms:
I prefer self employment. However it takes some capital to be self employed which can be sourced from underemployment!

Nice one bro.. Capital is hard to come-by, atimes u just have to stick to underemployment in order to source for fund and means of livelihood..
Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by salveoP(m): 9:59am On Mar 02, 2016
joey150:
Make shell employ me with like 700k monthly...then na me go dey reach office first...

Na every self employed they make that kind money?
how many graduates shell wan employ? One in tens of thousands...
Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by shehuolayinka(m): 10:10am On Mar 02, 2016
It is from under employment you get the capital to become self employed. No be small thing to start business for Nigeria. Even banks don't borrow an upcoming person money.
Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by akanbiaa(m): 10:12am On Mar 02, 2016
fyneboi79:
My CEO carry on joor!
In these period of frustration due to the economy problems if anyone feels he can carry gun around knocking he should know there are people ready to either eat him raw or die together, death means nothing to many people these days, and there is consequence for every action.
Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by shapman: 10:13am On Mar 02, 2016
Integrityfarms:

Olajumoke is one in a thousands of people balling more harder! Its not by hard work but by grace and favor
As if heaven doesn't help those who help themselves. Stay in your room and be expecting grace and favor undecided
Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by omozu1(m): 10:16am On Mar 02, 2016
modik:

My response:

You get sense well well.
Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by emzila(m): 10:22am On Mar 02, 2016
Moyosoreola:
The problem is people are neither under employed nor self employed...the economy is rumbling an average graduate life....me am short paid employed...
short paid employed, is that English good enough to fetch your salary expectation?
Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by fikkybaby(f): 10:23am On Mar 02, 2016
ofcourse one doesn't need to be told dat being self employed is d best thing,i av been there b4 so i knw wat it feels like,when i was working my take home was bellow 70k nd i spent 1k on transportation,bt nw dat i av my own business in agriculture,i save nothing less than 100k everymonth,wit lesser stress,nd ds is a business dats jst two yrs old,jst imagine wat it wil look lik 10yrs yo come,soo self business is d key wit God.
Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by DarryOsh(m): 10:32am On Mar 02, 2016
fyneboi79:
You can never be under employed while you are self employed because you have the time to pursue ur dreams and passions without restrictions except one is lazy grin

in the most simple terms, underemployment means that you are willing and capable of being more productive that you are.

Imagine that you are a highly skilled astronaut in Nigeria. Unfortunately, you are skilled in a field in which you cannot feasibly practice your profession without help from government, established bodies etc. What do you do? You buy a taxi and become a taxi driver. This is serious underemployment. And, yes, this is an extreme example.

There are many simple examples that we can relate with in Nigeria Ask a lot of those guys you see selling stuff in traffic, they have one skill or the other which would have made them a lot more productive in an ideal world. And some of them have been selling in traffic for years. You may want to introduce your 'they are lazy' argument at this point.

Few years back we heard about how PhD holders scrambled for Dangote's truck driver jobs. They would drive trucks for dangote and after some years, the truck would become theirs.i.e. they would become self employed as truck drivers/owners. But do you know how much it costs to train to and become a PhD holder? Do you know how much more productive a PhD holder can be? They should be teaching leaders of tomorrow, conducting research in labs innovating and advancing the cause of humanity.

If, as you say, the only reason why this is so is because 'they are lazy', then it must mean that laziness is peculiar to Nigerians. Otherwise, you may want to point out an economically advance country where PhD holders are employed as truck drivers.

1 Like

Re: Would You Rather Be Under Employed Than Self Employed? by Originalsly: 10:44am On Mar 02, 2016
If the thread is based on the definition given then one can be self employed but underemployed. Wouldn't an egineering graduate be underemployed if he manages his own transportation business? ....afterall.... he may use very little of his skill and have much down time. Was this the intention of the thread?...or was it if one would prefer being self employed or in a job where he is under payed?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Are There Still Jobs In Nigeria? / Orange Drug Limited Recruitment How True Is It? / Powell Global Company

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.