Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,063 members, 7,810,959 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:33 PM

Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? (48376 Views)

A Nairalander's Experience With Bank Of Industry (documents Attached) / Man Punishes GTB For Deducting N275 From His Account / Man Strips Unclad Inside Gtbank As His Money Vanished From His Account (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by Lovelynature(m): 10:47am On Mar 03, 2016
2undeee:

All you need is going to court and apply for change of name and publish it in a news paper it around 4500 here in d north but make sure d name tally with your school credentials because of future reference
Thanks a lot man
Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by miqos02(m): 10:49am On Mar 03, 2016
ok
Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by ericuzor(m): 10:53am On Mar 03, 2016
Lovelynature:
Wow! This is great.

Did you go with affidavit alone or newspaper publication and a valid id card bearing the new surname? Because they demand these from me. I went with only affidavit but they refused.
i only went with affidavit when the asked me newspaper publication i provoke threatened to close my account... they changed it instantly and link my accounts
Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by omogidi234(m): 10:54am On Mar 03, 2016
That stuff is usually challenging. I suggest you open a new account like someone said above.
However if you are bent on using that account name, go to (Assuming you are in Lagos) High Court premises, Ikeja or Island, tell them to do affidavit of change of name for you. The next is to go to Punch at Opebi, tell them you want to advert for change of name, it is less than 10k. You will give punch your ID, Affidavit, in case of Marriage (you will attach a marriage certificate). Once the advert is published, you will take all of them and apply to the BM of your branch.
It is challenging but once you are through, they will change the name.

1 Like

Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by Lovelynature(m): 10:58am On Mar 03, 2016
DedeNkem:

The bank told you what to do. Do it!
If you're worried, why not ask the bank this question you asked here. The bank will answer all your questions about your account better NOT here on Nairaland!

Some people make things hard for themselves.
You have a good point though

I think it's also good I learn from other people's experience. Experience they say, is the best teacher. You know these banks can be weird at times judging from what people went through on the issue of bvn. Don't be surprised that some people have their money hooked in the banks just because of bvn whatever. I think one should be very careful and well informed when money is involved. I brought this issue here because that's why we are here - to learn from each other.

Thanks anyway

2 Likes

Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by miqos02(m): 11:00am On Mar 03, 2016
Lovelynature:
I've tried to change the surname I used to register my bank account for some reasons, but the bank is demanding these from me:

Affidavit
Newspaper Publication
And letter to the manager

But my fear is that I don't know if the BVN name can also be changed as I read somewhere that CBN ordered banks to stop change of name.

I don't want to try anything that may affect my money or create issue in my bank account. Please has anyone changed his account name with the bank. How did you go about it?

Please don't just view, your advice is needed.

Eyop:
why not close the already existing bank account and have another one opened
Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by Lovelynature(m): 11:01am On Mar 03, 2016
omogidi234:
That stuff is usually challenging. I suggest you open a new account like someone said above.
However if you are bent on using that account name, go to (Assuming you are in Lagos) High Court premises, Ikeja or Island, tell them to do affidavit of change of name for you. The next is to go to Punch at Opebi, tell them you want to advert for change of name, it is less than 10k. You will give punch your ID, Affidavit, in case of Marriage (you will attach a marriage certificate). Once the advert is published, you will take all of them and apply to the BM of your branch.
It is challenging but once you are through, they will change the name.
thanks man
Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by 9jatatafo(m): 11:07am On Mar 03, 2016
OP please shut the account down and open a new one with the desired name. End of story
Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by dacovajnr: 11:07am On Mar 03, 2016
Owo yahoo ti ready grin
Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by Lovelynature(m): 11:09am On Mar 03, 2016
ericuzor:
i only went with affidavit when the asked me newspaper publication i provoke threatened to close my account... they changed it instantly and link my accounts
Wonderful! Wish my own case were like yours. Is it necessary to go with a valid id card as the previous id card may be misleading based on name differences?
Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by Lovelynature(m): 11:11am On Mar 03, 2016
dacovajnr:
Owo yahoo ti ready grin
not as you think bro. Ain't a yahoo guy grin
Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by Lovelynature(m): 11:12am On Mar 03, 2016
9jatatafo:
OP please shut the account down and open a new one with the desired name. End of story
bvn linkage may bring some issues up bro

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by 9jatatafo(m): 11:14am On Mar 03, 2016
Lovelynature:
bvn linkage may bring some issues up bro

You can go to customercare of your bank though I hate the way our banks treat customers

1 Like

Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by Lovelynature(m): 11:15am On Mar 03, 2016
miqos02:

good idea, but bvn linkage will definitely bring problem
Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by NathyBongos: 11:15am On Mar 03, 2016
Bro those 3times mentioned earlier must be done else they won't attend to you...it's a law from CBN I am facing same issue currently. but thank God I have done the affidavit just waiting for the newspaper change of name to be ready then I submit and it usually take 3wks or more for the bank to process it cry
Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by Lovelynature(m): 11:18am On Mar 03, 2016
9jatatafo:

You can go to customercare of your bank though I hate the way our banks treat customers
honestly

most of them ain't entertaining at all

1 Like

Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by DedeNkem: 11:22am On Mar 03, 2016
Lovelynature:
You have a good point though

I think it's also good I learn from other people's experience. Experience they say, is the best teacher. You know these banks can be weird at times judging from what people went through on the issue of bvn. Don't be surprised that some people have their money hooked in the banks just because of bvn whatever. I think one should be very careful and well informed when money is involved. I brought this issue here because that's why we are here - to learn from each other.

Thanks anyway

I've no problem with you asking questions where you so please, but it's always a good idea to exhaust all the questions you have about your account with you bank first, and if you're not satisfied with their answers then you can go ahead and forward your questions anywhere..

You're a customer of the bank and they can't intentionally give you a wrong advice about name change. Every bank has its own process and procedures.
Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by Lovelynature(m): 11:27am On Mar 03, 2016
vicola0281:
make sure u withdraw all ur money first coz banks can't b trusted
You have a good point here bro. They can't be trusted
Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by deluxecad(m): 11:30am On Mar 03, 2016
Lovelynature:
I've tried to change the surname I used to register my bank account for some reasons, but the bank is demanding these from me:

Affidavit
Newspaper Publication

But my fear is that I don't know if the BVN name can also be changed as I read somewhere that CBN ordered banks to stop change of name.

I don't want to try anything that may affect my money or create issue in my bank account. Please has anyone changed his account name with the bank. How did you go about it?

In the past, you'd be required to produce the 3 items you listed, but recently banks have been directed by the CBN not to carry out name changes. I think this is in line with the ongoing corruption fight.
Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by Nobody: 11:33am On Mar 03, 2016
Ghost workers, we know una. tongue

You can easily change a (few)letter (s), or from maiden to marital name_ with the exception of the aforementioned, it raises a redflag due to the ongoing rise of ghostworkers as a result of BVN issue.

You need all the requirements, required of you. Your details would be sent to the bank's compliance team, then CBN, then one financial security board...if they all certify you okay_ your request would be treated.

1 Like

Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by Nobody: 11:36am On Mar 03, 2016
Why not close and reopen?

Oh I forgat,you had your fingerprint for bvn,sorry bro u've got to do the aforementioned by the bank.
Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by lonelydora: 11:43am On Mar 03, 2016
Its not possible. Instead they will ask you to open a new account. Tried changing wifey's own but they refused.
Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by lonelydora: 11:45am On Mar 03, 2016
kkboy:
I Hope you are not one of the numerious ghost worker in one ministry or agency. If not why the change of identity.

Abeg ask him oooo.
Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by leofab(f): 11:54am On Mar 03, 2016
ericuzor:
anybody that can't access his account due to bvn irregularities should hola me
holla .. I can't access my account; they claimed I have done my Bvn somewhere but I haven't cos I it just one account and it's has been locked off... With all my money in.. What can I do?? I tried to redo the Bvn twice but got nothing out of it..
Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by ucheends(m): 11:58am On Mar 03, 2016
how i did it. I was answering my grand fathers name. Anakebe in my ecobank dollar accunt. Did bvn with nwankwo as my surname in access.
did newpaper publication with the following 4500 payeble to vintage press ltd[the nation], court affidavit 500ngn ,and valid id card scanned to them.
Sumited my newspaper publication,nepa bill,valid id, affidavit,letteradressed to the manager stating my old name ,my new name, my acct number and my bvn.
I was told that adress virification was involved sinc it was nt my branch. Na here gbege d dey ooh. Dem go domp ya file one side frm here. I lobby here ooh. Find am some tips cos dem go need visit d address.
my document was scanned to my branch, and a call was put throughto them . Behold, with 2days my acct had my new name and i did withdraw my dollar
Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by leofab(f): 11:59am On Mar 03, 2016
lurlah2014:
why not just reopen another account with your choice name and block the old one, so you can save yourself of bank stress and wahala cos those document must be provided if not u continue with the old one
which Bvn and ID card will he use do the new name account??

2 Likes

Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by Tobium1(m): 12:23pm On Mar 03, 2016
If u are sooo unsure about ur money, close d acct and open a new one wit ur new name
Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by DobraDobra: 12:24pm On Mar 03, 2016
Stupid protocol stupid old system what a backwardness a phone call away in a normal society and all done. No sworn avidavit no newspaper advert no rubbish when are we going to move from dis 1700 ideas. D sad thing is we rejoice in doing it thinking d backward system is doing anybody a favour

1 Like

Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by denis217: 12:28pm On Mar 03, 2016
Lovelynature:

Affidavit
Newspaper Publication

Yeah its very posible if u can provide supporting documents like an affidavit, news paper publication and a letter to that effect written by you.
But as for changing the name on your BVN, that wont be posible for now bcoz there is an exsiting Embargo placed on change of name by the CBN.
Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by Nobody: 1:01pm On Mar 03, 2016
Lovelynature:

Affidavit
Newspaper Publication

Do it,is simple or beta still use ur present identification to open new account and withdra ur money in order acc,then deposit into new account
Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by giusjr(m): 1:11pm On Mar 03, 2016
I've done a similar thing.
If you really want to change your name officially with any organization, without the above mention certificate, you can't be able to do anything.
Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by Nobody: 1:16pm On Mar 03, 2016
I am having the same issue with you, my bank requested me to get a newspaper publications before I could change mine, and the paper media asked me to get an affidavit from the court before they could change it, so is normal.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Folarin Alakija Marries Naganin Khosro. Dangote, Aisha Buhari Attend (Pics) / Nigeria Wants To Shutdown South African Businesses Over Xenophobic Attacks / Cecilia Ibru's Son Rode Dies At 34

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.