Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,100 members, 7,811,090 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:09 PM

Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? (48378 Views)

A Nairalander's Experience With Bank Of Industry (documents Attached) / Man Punishes GTB For Deducting N275 From His Account / Man Strips Unclad Inside Gtbank As His Money Vanished From His Account (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by Lovelynature(m): 10:23pm On Mar 03, 2016
beautyerhu86:

just open a new bank account and transfer all your money into it.
good idea dear, but bvn issue would definitely arise as I've registered my bvn with the surname supposed to change
Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by deluxecad(m): 11:03pm On Mar 03, 2016
Love Machine:
Bvn is a fingerprint registration.So no matter what you change your name to they will still detect fraud through that name.So becareful.

I'm not the one changing, I just responded to OP's question.

Be guided.
Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by damilarelr(m): 11:11pm On Mar 03, 2016
Lovelynature:
good idea dear, but bvn issue would definitely arise as I've registered my bvn with the surname supposed to change

Lots of suggestions so far.

1. Please disregard all those who advise you to close your account and open a new one as NO BANK will close an account for you if you don't have a BVN bearing the name on the account. Having said that, ignore the guy asking you to call him because he has "Bank contacts"..modification of Customer details are not carried out in the Bank but NIBSS.

2. Like lots of people have advised, to modify your BVN details, get a sworn affidavit as to change of name, a newspaper publication, an application letter addressed to the manager of your Bank branch, and a valid ID card to proof that you are the one bearing the new name.

3. The ID card aspect might be difficult as the 4 valid means of identification are not easily accessible. However, if you know how to drive you can get a new driver's licence with your new name in 24hours, or proceed to immigration office for an international passport..or register for the ongoing NIMC registration, though not all banks accept NIMC slip because it doesn't carry date of birth. You can do your pre-enrolment of the national ID card here www​.ninenrol.gov.ng/

3 Likes

Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by Lovelynature(m): 11:24pm On Mar 03, 2016
damilarelr:

Lots of suggestions so far.

1. Please disregard all those who advise you to close your account and open a new one as NO BANK will close an account for you if you don't have a BVN bearing the name on the account. Having said that, ignore the guy asking you to call him because he has "Bank contacts"..modification of Customer details are not carried out in the Bank but NIBSS.

2. Like lots of people have advised, to modify your BVN details, get a sworn affidavit as to change of name, a newspaper publication, an application letter addressed to the manager of your Bank branch, and a valid ID card to proof that you are the one bearing the new name.

3. The ID card aspect might be difficult as the 4 valid means of identification are not easily accessible. However, if you know how to drive you can get a new driver's licence with your new name in 24hours, or proceed to immigration office for an international passport..or register for the ongoing NIMC registration, though not all banks accept NIMC slip because it doesn't carry date of birth. You can do your pre-enrolment of the national ID card here www​.ninenrol.gov.ng/
Wow! Best advice so far. Thanks a lot bro

2 Likes

Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by Vision4God: 11:45pm On Mar 03, 2016
Lovelynature:
That's great bro.

What about a valid id card bearing your new name? Did they request for it? Again hope your money in the account wasn't tampered with?

De requested for any i.d card bearing d new name.
If u hv d old i.d card u can present it, most a times de request for d new i.d

D money in ma acc was not tampered wt.

1 Like

Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by Lovelynature(m): 10:08am On Mar 04, 2016
Vision4God:

De requested for any i.d card bearing d new name.
If u hv d old i.d card u can present it, most a times de request for d new i.d

D money in ma acc was not tampered wt.
That's nice. Thanks a lot bro

1 Like

Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by Nobody: 10:55am On Mar 04, 2016
Lovelynature:
If you are in Lagos, just go to any court around you and tell them you come for affidavit. They will demand for your old and new names and charge you around one thousand naira or above and you will get the affidavit within few minutes with court stamp on it.

Then you photocopy the affidavit and take it to any newspaper office (every newspaper is acceptable). They charge around 4500 - 5000, and tell you when the paper with your name will be out. On that day (please it must not exceed the given date as that's is only day your name will appear and it appears only on their paper), you just buy the paper and check the back. There you will see your name alongside with other people's name. Then you photocopy yours and take it to bank.

I did my affidavit at Apapa, Lagos. Even if you are outside Lagos, there are courts and newspaper office almost everywhere.

Then you write a letter to your bank manager and tell him reason(s) why you want to change your name. And have to get a valid id card like, driver's license, voter's card, national id card or international passport bearing the new name you're changing to.

You've to go the bank with these four items( affidavit, newspaper publication, letter to the bm, and valid id card) before you have your name changed.

It's not that easy bro, but once done, you feel so happy

Thanks so much. God bless you. The old names they require, can I just write it out or I have to go with my birth certificate. Then apart from surname, can I change my middle name too?
Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by Lovelynature(m): 11:10am On Mar 04, 2016
RadicallyBlunt:

Thanks so much. God bless you. The old names they require, can I just write it out or I have to go with my birth certificate. Then apart from surname, can I change my middle name too?
Yeah, you can change any name you like. Just write the both names on paper and take it to court for affidavit. Just that you have to give the bank manager reason(s) why you are changing those names. Have you registered your bvn with your old name?
Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by Nobody: 11:50am On Mar 04, 2016
Lovelynature:
Yeah, you can change any name you like. Just write the both names on paper and take it to court for affidavit. Just that you have to give the bank manager reason(s) why you are changing those names. Have you registered your bvn with your old name?
Yeah I have. Do I have to get a new bvn?
Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by Lovelynature(m): 11:54am On Mar 04, 2016
RadicallyBlunt:

Yeah I have. Do I have to get a new bvn?
No, don't even try that, because it won't work. They have to change the bvn name as well
Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by Nobody: 12:34pm On Mar 04, 2016
Lovelynature:
No, don't even try that, because it won't work. They have to change the bvn name as well
Ok thanks. I may contact you again as it goes
Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by Lovelynature(m): 12:47pm On Mar 04, 2016
RadicallyBlunt:

ok bro, I'm available
Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by ucheends(m): 2:16pm On Mar 04, 2016
Sandee10:

Na wah o, na you pay transport for verification? you should tell the bank. call this 01-2260450 to let the bank know what’s happening.
indirectly, with joy cos thats the branch that listend to me nd treated it as i want.the branch i went to withdraw b4 d wahala said they dont kwn what to do. That i shuld go to my branch in the east. More than 3branches.one said that she dosnt knw about change of surname except for for married couple.others where runing away from the stress in address verification.
I did it because dollar was rising nd a costomer in d bank needed an inflow to send to chinko.
It was explained to me that it might take 3weeks to verify due to some issues[person incharge is going for leave]. And i have spent like 3weeks on newspaper publication...who d lose?
Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by astalavistababy(f): 3:43pm On Mar 06, 2016
Plus valid Id bearing new name.

Lovelynature:
I've tried to change the surname I used to register my bank account for some reasons, but the bank is demanding these from me:

Affidavit
Newspaper Publication
And letter to the manager

But my fear is that I don't know if the BVN name can also be changed as I read somewhere that CBN ordered banks to stop change of name.

I don't want to try anything that may affect my money or create issue in my bank account. Please has anyone changed his account name with the bank. How did you go about it?

Please don't just view, your advice is needed.

1 Like

Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by Lovelynature(m): 5:52pm On Mar 06, 2016
astalavistababy:
Plus valid Id bearing new name.

Thanks dear

1 Like

Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by Lovelynature(m): 2:12pm On Aug 15, 2016
RadicallyBlunt:

How far bro. Have you done the stuff?
Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by Raymondluv(m): 5:53am On Sep 22, 2016
valdes00:
going tru all dos stress jus to change ur bank acct name ..... jus go to anoda bank, open a new acct... withdraw ur money from the old one n start using the new one... lobatan...
not possible
Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by Raymondluv(m): 5:56am On Sep 22, 2016
pinkpearl17:
Yes. I have. I used a court affidavit, newspaper publication and a letter addressed to the manager.
pls madam wat kind of newspaper publication are u going to buy news paper from a vendor nd give to d bank?
Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by Raymondluv(m): 6:15am On Sep 22, 2016
zunnurain33:
yes bros. I have done my too, I changed my name, date of birth both on my account and my bvn. you need this application, affidavit, publication and valid Id card.
is it possible to change name on BVN
Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by Tiense(m): 4:41pm On Sep 26, 2016
I'm also going through this issue, I can't link my bvn to another account. when I opened my gtb account the agent said I could use any name I wish for the account, and instead of my native first name, I used it's English meaning since it was like a nick name to me, by then there was nothing like bvn. later bvn came in and I tried doing it because they freezed my money, they said it has to correspond with my account name nd they went ahead and did it with the said account name. now I tried opening a Zenith account with my real name but they couldn't link it with my bvn due to breach of name, so I went to my bank nd told them, they said I should provide a sworn affidavit, a valid I'd bearing my real name and a published newspaper on change of name. Now my problem is how do I do a change of name when I don't have any I'd or document supporting my said bank name? The high court will definitely ask for a document of my said bank name which doesn't exist in anywhere. What do I do? Please friends I need your advice?
Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by Tiense(m): 4:44pm On Sep 26, 2016
Tiense:
I'm also going through this issue, I can't link my bvn to another account. when I opened my gtb account the agent said I could use any name I wish for the account, and instead of my native first name, I used it's English meaning since it was like a nick name to me, by then there was nothing like bvn. later bvn came in and I tried doing it because they freezed my money, they said it has to correspond with my account name nd they went ahead and did it with the said account name. now I tried opening a Zenith account with my real name but they couldn't link it with my bvn due to breach of name, so I went to my bank nd told them, they said I should provide a sworn affidavit, a valid I'd bearing my real name and a published newspaper on change of name. Now my problem is how do I do a change of name when I don't have any I'd or document supporting my said bank name? The high court will definitely ask for a document of my said bank name which doesn't exist in anywhere. What do I do? Please friends I need your advice?
Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by joey150(m): 2:34pm On Nov 02, 2016
Guys i did an affirmation of name because i am not changing my last name but just updating my first name and second name.. I hope the affirmation of name affidavit can be used?
Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by damilarelr(m): 9:50pm On Nov 05, 2016
Tiense:

Hello,

Have you been able to do the name change? If not, here is what you need to do:

I want to believe you have one of the valid means of identification recognised by the Central Bank, i.e permanent voter's card, international passport, driving licence, or national ID card. With the ID card along with sworn affidavit of you change of name, and newspaper publication reflecting your old name (at GTB) and your new name (as it is on your ID card), approach GTB for a change of name on their system and on the BVN platform.

It might take up to 48hours before the changes would be effected. Once that has been done, you can go ahead and open accounts with any other bank of your choice.

But in case you do not have a valid ID, you might need to get either a driving licence or international passport.

1 Like

Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by Lovelynature(m): 6:24pm On Nov 08, 2016
damilarelr:

Hello,

Have you been able to do the name change? If not, here is what you need to do:

I want to believe you have one of the valid means of identification recognised by the Central Bank, i.e permanent voter's card, international passport, driving licence, or national ID card. With the ID card along with sworn affidavit of you change of name, and newspaper publication reflecting your old name (at GTB) and your new name (as it is on your ID card), approach GTB for a change of name on their system and on the BVN platform.

It might take up to 48hours before the changes would be effected. Once that has been done, you can go ahead and open accounts with any other bank of your choice.

But in case you do not have a valid ID, you might need to get either a driving licence or international passport.
nice one bro. Hope the change of name will not affect the money in the account?
Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by Dejideji1(m): 5:51pm On Mar 25, 2017
amdoyin82:
Yes, I have done it before but requires some protocols.

please how long does it normally take for the change to take effect? I have done mine and it's almost 5days now but it's still showing my old name
Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by deji300(m): 6:29am On Jun 16, 2017
how long would it takes to change alart number on ecobank
Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by WALEXYY(m): 7:46pm On Jun 17, 2017
deji300:
how long would it takes to change alart number on ecobank

Shouldn't take more than 24hrs if you have all relevant document in place. Changed mine last week. Although I had to route mine thru their contact centre by sending a mail to ENGcontactcentre@ecobank.com. Try that
Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by trigar12(m): 12:10am On Nov 07, 2017
I also want to modify my name on my account too ... the first name is in place of my last name and is in place of my middle name....
This newspaper stuff dey fear me o... the money is much and I can't afford it. though I can do others
Re: Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? by Divfav(m): 6:58pm On Nov 08, 2017
pls I unfortunately bought a registered sim card and it was the number I used to register for my BVN.
Now the number is lost and Mtn told me that they can not retrieve the line for me cos I was not the person that registered it.
I have a program whereby I have to register with my BVN phone number.
I went to the bank to change the BVN phone number but they asked for my voters card but they rejected it cos my surname has erased off the voters card.
And my temporary national I.d card is unacceptable.
pls what can I do to get the BVN phone number changed
I really need your help.
Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Folarin Alakija Marries Naganin Khosro. Dangote, Aisha Buhari Attend (Pics) / Nigeria Wants To Shutdown South African Businesses Over Xenophobic Attacks / Cecilia Ibru's Son Rode Dies At 34

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.