Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,167 members, 7,815,063 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:38 AM

Senate Moves To Enforce Patronage Of Local Goods - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Moves To Enforce Patronage Of Local Goods (12361 Views)

Real Reasons Why Senate Moves Against Osinbajo / Senate Moves To Legalise Lobbying In Nigeria / Senate Moves To Amend CCB, Administration Of Criminal Justice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Moves To Enforce Patronage Of Local Goods by 9jaclicktivist: 6:35am On Mar 03, 2016
The Senate
THE Senate, Wednesday adopted a motion seeking the amendment of the Procurement Act to compel all government agencies and institutions to give maximum priority to patronising locally made products.
Adopting a two prayer motion moved by Senator Eyinnaya Abaribe (PDP Abia South) titled “Need For Patronisation of Made-in-Nigeria Goods,” the Senate urged the Federal Government to initiate and implement the first option policy on purchase of locally manufactured goods for any government procurement in all arms of government and every public funded organisation.
It also urged both the National Assembly to amend the Procurement Act to ensure that as a matter of law, agencies of government and government funded institutions adopt ‘the made-in-Nigeria’ goods first option policy and where consideration is first given to the local industry before any other.
In a comment shortly after the motion had been passed, Senate President Bukola Saraki said: “I used the opportunity to commend him because I had the opportunity to attend the ‘Made-in-Aba’ exhibition which he has been doing using the zonal intervention funds and I think it was very good because as you all know there is a wrong misconception sometimes of this zonal intervention funds of the National Assembly. The perception sometimes are these monies is not used for any good course and it was very commendable to see that for years these monies has been used to support his trade fair,” he said.
Earlier, Abaribe lamented that: “Today, Nigeria consumes what it does not produce. Investment in real sector has given way to trading in foreign and imported goods, stressing that the resultant impact has been a negative balance of trade, the shutting down of textiles companies, battery, tobacco, wood processing factories, cocoa and palm oil farms and other factories that had been the bane of the Nigerian economy.”
According to him, government spends billions of naira yearly to purchase imported vehicles, furniture, textiles, printing paper and even consumables such as rice, drugs, vegetable oils, fruit juice, noting that in the second quarter of 2015 alone, Nigeria spent N42.4 billion in importation of wheat and meslin and spent N25.3 billion in importation of rice.
Abaribe, therefore urged government to put measures in place to ensure obligatory official patronage of locally made products for all agencies of government and all officials funded by public funds, local producers and investors will have the incentive to invest quantitatively and qualitatively in the country because of the certainty of the market demand.
http://telltimes..com/2016/03/senate-moves-to-enforce-patronage-of.html

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate Moves To Enforce Patronage Of Local Goods by acenazt: 6:43am On Mar 03, 2016
I pray they enforce and stick to the motion cos even if change doesnt show itself,purchasing made in naija will go a Long way in building a better Naija.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate Moves To Enforce Patronage Of Local Goods by olaolayink(m): 6:46am On Mar 03, 2016
make saraki return d Benz first n buy innoson and make twitter senator reprint his book for lagos....make edo gov marry 9ja girl....our fuel self,na extract in Nigeria,refine in foreign land,consume in Nigeria....this country is sick,we can only come together to heal the country......imagine senators preaching madein9ja.....lead by example

57 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Senate Moves To Enforce Patronage Of Local Goods by kniru: 6:55am On Mar 03, 2016
na today!!! make we de watch na
Re: Senate Moves To Enforce Patronage Of Local Goods by Brightology2(m): 7:16am On Mar 03, 2016
Mitchew. I thought saraki went to inspect innoson company of lately,thinking he will patronise d company but to my greatest suprise oga bought 3 benz.abeg make we live mata for marthayas.

8 Likes

Re: Senate Moves To Enforce Patronage Of Local Goods by mamaafrik(m): 7:19am On Mar 03, 2016
The president should spell some massive strategic planning and national mobilization toward that
Re: Senate Moves To Enforce Patronage Of Local Goods by Okworigeorge(m): 8:33am On Mar 03, 2016
It seems Saraki (Senate) is working even more than PMBuhari

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Moves To Enforce Patronage Of Local Goods by MadCow1: 8:33am On Mar 03, 2016
After he just justified buying two German Made Mercedes benz S-Class Special & Japanese Toyota Landcruisers, he now want to enforce the rest of us buying Innoson. grin

They should get away.. angry

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Moves To Enforce Patronage Of Local Goods by neonly: 8:33am On Mar 03, 2016
Buhari nd Sanusi y nw
Re: Senate Moves To Enforce Patronage Of Local Goods by Nobody: 8:34am On Mar 03, 2016
Lol, Nigeria Senate claiming serious. Just watch them forget this as soon as the price of oil regains strength. Obligatory official patronage only for the masses while the rich still engage in medical tourism, foreign made ostentatious goods, among others. The only time things will work in Nigeria is when public office holders are denied the privilege of foreign medical trip, and their kids made to enjoy the sophisticated system of education we have in place. Else, we are on a wild-goose chase.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Moves To Enforce Patronage Of Local Goods by Nobody: 8:34am On Mar 03, 2016
I have a better option, but practical one at that..
I need the twitter senator to help me with this. What if there is a law that Monday, Wednesday and Friday, all government civil servants, and private workers should wear made in Nigeria ANKARA or any other Nigerian Fabrics with the exception of on site engineers (who wear PPE), doctors (lab coat) and Lawyers who have their uniform. The billion dollar textile mill will come back to life and tailors in Nigeria will have work to do.

35 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Senate Moves To Enforce Patronage Of Local Goods by tunwumi: 8:34am On Mar 03, 2016
Ok
Re: Senate Moves To Enforce Patronage Of Local Goods by Millz404(m): 8:34am On Mar 03, 2016
Toh... We d watch.. All vacations too should be in Nigeria... They should not forget that

2 Likes

Re: Senate Moves To Enforce Patronage Of Local Goods by hungryboy(m): 8:34am On Mar 03, 2016
I see
Re: Senate Moves To Enforce Patronage Of Local Goods by BiggerBangs: 8:34am On Mar 03, 2016
angry
Re: Senate Moves To Enforce Patronage Of Local Goods by olaolulazio(m): 8:35am On Mar 03, 2016
Make Buhari and his ministers return their imported cars first, make dem start to dey produce super eagles(chicken) jersey and lastly make.....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Moves To Enforce Patronage Of Local Goods by tuoyoojo(m): 8:35am On Mar 03, 2016
ok

anything to grow the Naira

however, the Nigerian made goods need to be improved upon so that we get value for money

I hope the senators would lead by Example "do as I do, not do as I say"
Re: Senate Moves To Enforce Patronage Of Local Goods by elvisdaniels(m): 8:35am On Mar 03, 2016
Sick and deranged senate president hypocrites in the making,After buying a foreign Benz car,Innoson motors is very much close to Saraki yet he bought a car from overseas ,you are now compelling other Nigerians to patronize made in Nigeria goods,what happens to charity begins at home.We Nigerians have made so many unconscious mistakes believing in these thievery politicians. OIL IS POISON TO LIFE! Once the price of Oil bounces back high then you know their true colors.

1 Like

Re: Senate Moves To Enforce Patronage Of Local Goods by 2rez: 8:36am On Mar 03, 2016
I smell lies. Lies! Lies!! Lies!!!
Re: Senate Moves To Enforce Patronage Of Local Goods by otitokoroleti: 8:36am On Mar 03, 2016
BUHARI PREFERS HER CHILDREN TO SKUL ABROAD, LOVES TO RIDE BMW, PREFER OYINBO DOCTOR TO NAIJA, SARAKI PREFERS MERCEDES BENZ TO INNOSON, ETC

DO THESE LEGISLOOTERS THINKS THAT NIGERIANS ARE FOOLS?

AS FOR ME WHEN IT COMES TO BUYING CARS, QUALITY EDUCATION, I WILL SAY NO TO NIGERIAN MADE.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Moves To Enforce Patronage Of Local Goods by jay2pee(m): 8:36am On Mar 03, 2016
Patronizing naija made goods should include seeking medical care in Nigeria cos I know vividly well that most of our doctors can do very well. All vacations should be in Nigeria as well, visits by our tourist president should be within Nigeria.

Then I would know Nigeria is well patronized.

JAYPEE

2 Likes

Re: Senate Moves To Enforce Patronage Of Local Goods by demarc001: 8:37am On Mar 03, 2016
Good news, let it start from the government.
Re: Senate Moves To Enforce Patronage Of Local Goods by ollyboy009(m): 8:38am On Mar 03, 2016
God bless sen. abaribe for this motion, adoption and implementation is what we need now. It's time we embrace what we have and stop killing our economy with unfavorable balance of trade.

1 Like

Re: Senate Moves To Enforce Patronage Of Local Goods by emperorchedda(m): 8:38am On Mar 03, 2016
Nice
Re: Senate Moves To Enforce Patronage Of Local Goods by OnWebTech: 8:38am On Mar 03, 2016
And it should start from the governement houses where even the fruit juices are imported.
I could remember president obasanjo enforcing this in Aso rock...
Re: Senate Moves To Enforce Patronage Of Local Goods by AJOT99(m): 8:39am On Mar 03, 2016
Nice!
Re: Senate Moves To Enforce Patronage Of Local Goods by emperorchedda(m): 8:40am On Mar 03, 2016
2rez:
I smell lies. Lies! Lies!! Lies!!!
This is one typical mugu.
Give us one proof to show it's a lie

The latest word in PDP dictionary is PROPAGANDA. Everything is now propaganda. You eat eba, propaganda, obama is in Nigeria, propaganda, chelsea wins norwich city, propaganda

I can bet they don't even know the meaning of propaganda

3 Likes

Re: Senate Moves To Enforce Patronage Of Local Goods by Nobody: 8:41am On Mar 03, 2016
olaolayink:
make saraki return d Benz first n buy innoson and make twitter senator reprint his book for lagos....make edo gov marry 9ja girl
Yes oh make e give me lara

1 Like

Re: Senate Moves To Enforce Patronage Of Local Goods by aku626(m): 8:41am On Mar 03, 2016
With all these SON needs to step up their game
Re: Senate Moves To Enforce Patronage Of Local Goods by IykeChukz(m): 8:41am On Mar 03, 2016
Government have been our problem since centuries...

Why has it taken so long?

Anyway, better be late than never...
Re: Senate Moves To Enforce Patronage Of Local Goods by Babyphinas(f): 8:42am On Mar 03, 2016
Abakaliki rice
Re: Senate Moves To Enforce Patronage Of Local Goods by lightheart(m): 8:44am On Mar 03, 2016
Hmm...
Commendable

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Dumo Lulu-Briggs Dumps PDP For APC / Adamu Garba Unable To Purchase Form Due To High Cost / Ezeife: Why South-East, South-South May Withdraw Support For PDP In 2023

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.