Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,016 members, 7,810,813 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:58 PM

The First Woman In Nigeria To Be A Governor - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The First Woman In Nigeria To Be A Governor (14138 Views)

5 Months As A Governor, I Am Already Tired - El Rufai / Fayose Stops His Convoy To Interact With An Old Woman In Ekiti / Was Funmilayo Ransome Kuti The First Woman To Drive A Car? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The First Woman In Nigeria To Be A Governor by Ezenwenyi(m): 7:42am On Nov 04, 2006
Yesterday the 3rd of Noverber 2006,the yolk of women bondage in Nigeria politics were broken as Mrs Virginia Ngozi Etiaba became the first woman to become a governor of a state in Nigeria.This is a good sign of women empowerment and it is a challenge for women especially in 2007 election.The question now is?Will she Perform?
Re: The First Woman In Nigeria To Be A Governor by buchio7(m): 12:53pm On Nov 04, 2006
dont celebrate 4 too long bros, dey intend to impeach her too in d next 3 months, its all calculated to prop up andy uba 4 govnor 2007 by d pdp
Re: The First Woman In Nigeria To Be A Governor by Grizzly(m): 2:31pm On Nov 04, 2006
Moreover she was not elected, She was made governor becos the ruling governor was impeached. She will never have been made governor via election,
Re: The First Woman In Nigeria To Be A Governor by Odeku(m): 3:05pm On Nov 04, 2006
Election is less than 6 month. I wonder if she will contest?
Re: The First Woman In Nigeria To Be A Governor by Sijien(m): 3:35pm On Nov 04, 2006
dem go soon comot am
Re: The First Woman In Nigeria To Be A Governor by Odeku(m): 4:20pm On Nov 04, 2006
I hope dem give am chance and let see if she can out perform her male conter parts in such a small time
Re: The First Woman In Nigeria To Be A Governor by Terry1(m): 5:29pm On Nov 04, 2006
Nigerian First Female Governor (Virgy Etiaba)

Nigerian First Female Governor from Anambra State, Her Excellency Virginia Etiaba. Making the fourth governor Anambra State will produce within eight years.

Re: The First Woman In Nigeria To Be A Governor by Seun(m): 7:54pm On Nov 04, 2006
Virginia Etiaba has been sworn in as Nigeria's first female governor after Anambra state legislature impeached Peter Obi for gross misconduct.

She had been deputy governor in the south-eastern state and initially refused to take the position.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6112950.stm
Re: The First Woman In Nigeria To Be A Governor by dennylove(m): 9:29pm On Nov 04, 2006
yes,let's give them a CHANCE to RULE!!!!!!!!!! GO,GO,Virginia Etiaba,you can do it, wink wink kiss this is a WELCOME DEVELOPMENT to our women . cheesy cheesy
Re: The First Woman In Nigeria To Be A Governor by Hotstepper(f): 10:46pm On Nov 04, 2006
Nnewi Kwenu
Re: The First Woman In Nigeria To Be A Governor by GNature(m): 10:52pm On Nov 04, 2006
I wish her the best.
Re: The First Woman In Nigeria To Be A Governor by lewa(m): 8:02pm On Nov 05, 2006
Posted wrong pic-(terry).please read Rueben Abati's piece in www.guardiannewsngr.com
Re: The First Woman In Nigeria To Be A Governor by chinani(f): 2:14am On Nov 06, 2006
Congratulations to her! kiss I hope she does well for Anambra & herself!
Re: The First Woman In Nigeria To Be A Governor by Godfathern(m): 10:25am On Nov 06, 2006
Hotstepper:

Nnewi Kwenu

Am ashamed of what a gang up nnewi people did!

GNature:

I wish her the best.

What can she do. When she promised to stood by Obi only to sworn in as governor in less than 24 hrs. She will still promise something and the next day do a dfifferent thing. Can she be trusted. She betrayed Peter Obi, she will betray Anambra people. By their fruit you shall know them.
Re: The First Woman In Nigeria To Be A Governor by Bolarge(m): 11:59am On Nov 06, 2006
I'm of the opinion our women deserve a lot more than this.Virginia Etiaba is no more than a side-effect.An afterthought.When a woman is voted for and sworn in as a legitimate/bonafide governor not just a circumstantial damage control tool,then we can rejoice.
  I don't believe our women have any cause to be ecstatic yet.It's still a power play by the ever chauvinistic politicians
Re: The First Woman In Nigeria To Be A Governor by naija4life(f): 3:28pm On Nov 06, 2006
When will Anambra state ever be like their counterparts. No, its always one year, one trouble!!!
Re: The First Woman In Nigeria To Be A Governor by Nobody: 6:21pm On Nov 06, 2006
I see this as the dawn of a new day not only in Igboland but in Nigeria at large.
Only a woman can deliver Nigeria of its demons.
The men have failed us woefully.(make una no abuse me o)

Long live Anambra State
Long live NdiIgbo dum.
Long live Nigeria.
Re: The First Woman In Nigeria To Be A Governor by tyrex(m): 7:01pm On Nov 06, 2006
Nigeria's First female Governor

Good things are beginning to happen in our country, for the first time, a woman is the executive governor of a state in Nigeria and to think of it being no other than ANAMBRA STATE.
I only hope she will not follow in the footsteps of her predecessors and other male politicians, well lets watch and see.

For more info:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6121834.stm
Re: The First Woman In Nigeria To Be A Governor by Aggressa(m): 7:46pm On Nov 06, 2006
babyosisi:

Only a woman can deliver Nigeria of its demons.The men have failed us woefully.(make una no abuse me o)

@Babyosisi, grin grin grin
Dont be afraid, we'll try not to yab u!! But na lie, men have not failed Nigeria woefully, have you heard that "behind or rather beside every successful man is a successful woman", well in Nigeria "Behind, beside, and in-front of every corrupt, irresponsible male politician or leader we've had, is a probably more corrupt woman encouraging him on."
Re: The First Woman In Nigeria To Be A Governor by Eug(m): 8:28pm On Nov 06, 2006
Please o! I am a nigerian but resident in the uk. Why was peter Obi actually Impeached? Was it 4 a good reason or it was a coup against APGA?
Re: The First Woman In Nigeria To Be A Governor by naijacutee(f): 9:37pm On Nov 06, 2006
Eureka!
Re: The First Woman In Nigeria To Be A Governor by queen2(f): 9:39pm On Nov 06, 2006
I hope she lay a good example so they might consider the first female president
Re: The First Woman In Nigeria To Be A Governor by Hotstepper(f): 3:05am On Nov 07, 2006
wuteva nnewi ppl, da lady and ojukwu did is none of my business if they actually did anything. I am not in support why they removed Obi cuz he didn't do anything just that he refused 2 be paying da ppl Ngige was paying dem, as am reading naija news one, the Anambra Lawmakers wnana impeach Etiaba as well, na wah
Re: The First Woman In Nigeria To Be A Governor by lewa(m): 4:42am On Nov 07, 2006
The lady is an embarassment to womenfolk. Sold out her boss.Would see what happens
Re: The First Woman In Nigeria To Be A Governor by lewa(m): 5:18am On Nov 07, 2006
She is a sell out and dumped her boss for selfish reasons .Stuff many nigerians are made of, duplicity and dishonest clerverness
Re: The First Woman In Nigeria To Be A Governor by otokx(m): 5:45am On Nov 07, 2006
There is something wrong with the manner in which she assumed duty and I see her compromising in all areas to retain the seat; howbeit she will end up on the streets like her predecessors. Anambra state is a classic example of what happens when uneducated people abound in the political scene - "simply chaos"
Re: The First Woman In Nigeria To Be A Governor by Bamiprof(m): 2:27pm On Nov 07, 2006
First female governor for where,not in my history book because she was bundled in.One day she was behind her boss another day she is been sworn in as governor.Trust no One.
Re: The First Woman In Nigeria To Be A Governor by BlackMamba(m): 6:44pm On Nov 08, 2006
Everything about this situation stinks to high heaven. Not that it really matters in Banana republic (Anambra state).
And the annoying Dame prefix used by this headmistress-like woman.
Re: The First Woman In Nigeria To Be A Governor by buchio7(m): 7:22pm On Nov 08, 2006
Before u guys start seeing, ELDORADO bear it in mind dat d house members r only bidding dere time b4 impeaching her too cos d whole game plan is to pave way for an andy uba governorship in 2007.
Dat is d game plan n in d next 3 months u will see it materialising.
Re: The First Woman In Nigeria To Be A Governor by Chxta(m): 8:50pm On Nov 08, 2006
The best post on this 'ere thread has been that by Otokx. . .

otokx:

There is something wrong with the manner in which she assumed duty and I see her compromising in all areas to retain the seat; howbeit she will end up on the streets like her predecessors. Anambra state is a classic example of what happens when uneducated people abound in the political scene - "simply chaos"

Classic.

Does anyone remember what Chxta faced when Chxta brought up this same issue months ago?

More to come from other parts of Nigeria. . .
Re: The First Woman In Nigeria To Be A Governor by Nobody: 2:41am On Nov 09, 2006
chxta and co stop hating.
We women can do better and we've proven it time and again.
Only a woman can cast out the demons in Nigerian politics,we need to start by casting you men out one at a time.
Re: The First Woman In Nigeria To Be A Governor by GNature(m): 8:44am On Nov 09, 2006
Eug:

Please o! I am a nigerian but resident in the uk. Why was peter Obi actually Impeached? Was it 4 a good reason or it was a coup against APGA?

Can someone on this thread be kind enough to brief Eug and I on why Peter Obi was impeached ? Because I'm not sure what his offense was.

Many thanks.

(1) (2) (Reply)

2023: Atiku, Tinubu Have No Chance - Arewa youths / Nigerians now resort to Faking Deaths To Get Pension Benefits - NPC / Patience Jonathan - I Didnt Undergo Any Surgery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.