Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,208 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:22 AM

The Crazy Experience Of A Bank Contract Staff - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Crazy Experience Of A Bank Contract Staff (46015 Views)

What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? / 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) / How Much Does First Bank Pay Her Contract Staff? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Crazy Experience Of A Bank Contract Staff by Oduirewamiri(f): 6:14pm On Mar 04, 2016
company500:
from the post I can see that contract staffs in banks are really poorly treated. I even have a friend from Access Bank who told me that he is really finding it tough as a contract staff but has no choice due to the lack of jobs in Nigeria. he complains of the very little salary he collects which is about #70000 and works from morning to very late in the night around 9Pm. I just want to ask everyone here at nairaland if this is how all staffs are treated in Access bank. I also want to know how much top executives are being paid in Access bank as total compensation every month or annually as compared to this contract staffs who work day and night

Was employed as a Bvn officer last year, it's the normal time others close I leave d branch as well, sometimes by 9pm I'm at d office, my husband queries me all d time that banks close by 4 and where do I also go after office hours, it takes d intervention of one of his friends who works in Fcmb for him to believe that truly 4pm is for customers n staffs work late
Re: The Crazy Experience Of A Bank Contract Staff by odeyinugbolahan(m): 6:21pm On Mar 04, 2016
Well bro! That is the kind of country we found ourselves. Country where interest of worker is not important and no law to guide against mis-use of labour after getting it in its cheapest measure. Have worked for a big and recognised telecom coy for solid 26months with no single salary and you dare not complain. I think this is so rampant in all this so called telecom companies here in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: The Crazy Experience Of A Bank Contract Staff by yusufyusuf1: 6:23pm On Mar 04, 2016
any time i see those so call banker especially does ones that call their self marketer i always pity them sometimes i am tempted to want to give them money i had brother who ones work as a bank marketer it's not funny #25000 salary and they want u to wear#15000 suite he can't even eat in public places to make the matter worse

2 Likes

Re: The Crazy Experience Of A Bank Contract Staff by company500: 6:24pm On Mar 04, 2016
please who can tell me how much bank directors and senior managers at Access bank collect as pay package.
Re: The Crazy Experience Of A Bank Contract Staff by legacy4real(f): 6:35pm On Mar 04, 2016
If you said bank contract staff is a modern slavery you are right because I use to work with a bank (gtb) as a contract staff for 6 years. You will work while some people will benefit from your labour. No access to loan and some other benefit. Your boss will transfer his/her own pressure on you , insult you in the public even when you are right, you wil be sack even without given a letter or receiving an e mail, all the branch full staff will treat you like their servant because you're the last in the ranking, no promotion or recomendation, you will be the one directlly expose to customers, your leave will be change by your boss without following due process, after closing for the day,your lazy boss will still transfer his/her own job function to you forcefully, you will hardly eat in a day, you will be responsibly for any issues in the bank even if it does not concerns you , as a lady you will be intimidated by your superior male boss, you will be ask to attend meeting out of office without allowance using your own salary for transport, medical allowance will be deducted from your salary and you will be ask to pay when you get to the hospital you requested, no benefit from bank's profit sharing, your direct boss will put all blame on you in the name of promotion and many more.
I pray our legislature will look into this and ammend bank contract staffing laws.

5 Likes

Re: The Crazy Experience Of A Bank Contract Staff by rhames(m): 6:37pm On Mar 04, 2016
Rogersmith:
That is just the way our system works this country. The blame should be directed to the labour congress. I believe that they is a labour law that protects the rights of contact staff, but because of unwillingness and selfishness of our labour congress this laws cannot be put into action. The national assembly should also have the share of the blame. This private companies inject money into national assembly to stop any process of making new laws to checkmate their excesses.

Do we even have a labour congrss? What we have is a group of hawks who fleec workers annually and sing "Solidarity Forever" on TV when agitating for something. Let them account for all the monies they have collected from employee members of various unions. If the EFCC decides to go after these people, some of them will die in prison before trial.

Bro. It opens your eyes to the reality that you should start thinking outside the box with the little you earn. Save hard.
Re: The Crazy Experience Of A Bank Contract Staff by Dirkcoyt: 6:41pm On Mar 04, 2016
ademide0710:
Have always noticed the way u address issues.must u use abusive words....pls wise up

For someone to make you post something with just 13 comments since 2013 then he knows where to strike your nerve, you seem interesting though.
Re: The Crazy Experience Of A Bank Contract Staff by GboyegaD(m): 6:45pm On Mar 04, 2016
ednut1:
most of the outsourcing companies were established by bank executives . desperation and lack of jobs make pple accept d so called contract jobs. u cant blame dem na. it is not strictly business it is strictly wickness abeg grin. sadly it wont change as u mentioned

Blame those who choose to pick up the jobs more. It is just a capitalist notion to maximize profits however, our labor union can do more to address the current appalling situation.
Re: The Crazy Experience Of A Bank Contract Staff by sleekspy: 6:46pm On Mar 04, 2016
A lot of the banks are culprits of this inhumane acts, zenith bank, Gtbank, stanbic ibtc , access bank the list is endless even the recruitment agencies are owned by the bank executives. Sad

1 Like

Re: The Crazy Experience Of A Bank Contract Staff by jaydee26: 6:57pm On Mar 04, 2016
Sterling Bank

1 Like

Re: The Crazy Experience Of A Bank Contract Staff by company500: 7:01pm On Mar 04, 2016
sleekspy:
A lot of the banks are culprits of this inhumane acts, zenith bank, Gtbank, stanbic ibtc , access bank the list is endless even the recruitment agencies are owned by the bank executives. Sad

how much do these bank executives earn as total compensation every month or annually
Re: The Crazy Experience Of A Bank Contract Staff by salusworth(m): 7:31pm On Mar 04, 2016
Sounds like a bank I know. Their name starts from S.
Re: The Crazy Experience Of A Bank Contract Staff by Spar(m): 7:42pm On Mar 04, 2016
I personally working @ one company in ibadan called (bat) but am working under one stupid contract company i w not like to name, bat r paying my company 150,000 per head in a month but the slavery company dat am working with can only release 26,000 for us

1 Like

Re: The Crazy Experience Of A Bank Contract Staff by Bebson007(m): 7:59pm On Mar 04, 2016
Brother, we bankers are really suffering oooo!
The people in the streets thinks bankers go aways with all the money they count.
It only the smile on our faces and the suit and tie on our neck that decive people.
My babe left me cus am a banker and i cnt buy her the whole world.
The cut our money for tax and pension. Can u imagine?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Crazy Experience Of A Bank Contract Staff by company500: 8:11pm On Mar 04, 2016
Bebson007:
The people in the streets thinks bankers go aways with all the money they count.
It only the smile on our faces and the suit and tie on our neck that decive people.

like how much do they cut from your salary? I also want to know how much top executives in your bank collect as pay package every month or annually
Re: The Crazy Experience Of A Bank Contract Staff by company500: 8:13pm On Mar 04, 2016
Bebson007:

like how much do they cut from your salary? I also want to know how much top executives in your bank collect as pay package every month or annually
Re: The Crazy Experience Of A Bank Contract Staff by newman10(m): 8:15pm On Mar 04, 2016
Guys, this contract thingy is not only in banks. It's everywhere. I personally have worked for a global brand for more than 3 yrs as a contract staff earning just under 100k. I was only recently converted few months ago. I was lucky as they laid off so many. Truth is you can't but feel inferior among the workers there. I almost resigned.

But the benefits of being full staff is really enormous. When i was converted, i was like mehn .... i have missed a lot shocked

Op , just take heart and put your best. Luck might just smile on you one day. It is well smiley smiley

1 Like

Re: The Crazy Experience Of A Bank Contract Staff by Ashmark(m): 8:16pm On Mar 04, 2016
Is not even the Bank that employ contract staff. In most cases it is the Outsource Company
Re: The Crazy Experience Of A Bank Contract Staff by Exponental(m): 8:31pm On Mar 04, 2016
During a meeting of all branch staffs some years back, a contract staff wanted to contribute but was shut up.... he was referred as 'ATM machine' that 'his contributions is of no value'. My fiancee, (his contract colleague), cried that day when she was telling me. She felt humiliated. The main reason she resigned from banking job.

1 Like

Re: The Crazy Experience Of A Bank Contract Staff by company500: 8:40pm On Mar 04, 2016
newman10:
Guys, this contract thingy is not only in banks. It's everywhere. I personally have worked for a global brand for more than 3 yrs as a contract staff earning just under 100k. I was only recently converted few months ago. I was lucky as they laid off so many. Truth is you can't but feel inferior among the workers there. I almost resigned.

But the benefits of being full staff is really enormous. When i was converted, i was like mehn .... i have missed a lot shocked

Op , just take heart and put your best. Luck might just smile on you one day. It is well smiley smiley

how much do these bank executives earn as total compensation every month or annuall
Re: The Crazy Experience Of A Bank Contract Staff by Ishilove: 8:48pm On Mar 04, 2016
My dearest and closest friend has been with GTbank for 4 years and up till now she has been converted. She works like an ant and receives peanuts as salary
Re: The Crazy Experience Of A Bank Contract Staff by Origin(f): 8:51pm On Mar 04, 2016
For me the most useless arm of government is legislative. With all the outdated laws that serves no purpose and the judiciary with their three months break and constant delay of justice.

Companies declare huge profits that are so fake while top management eat the gravy. I've researched this so I know.

There is nobody to curb their excesses hence contract staff, short changing people of their N30k while making sure their N40m is complete ans they still charge all their family expenses to the company.

Cost savings sack one or two board members and save billions.

1 Like

Re: The Crazy Experience Of A Bank Contract Staff by Samakus(m): 9:23pm On Mar 04, 2016
Love Machine:
One's responsibility can make he/she to endure a slave job and be searching for a better offer before he/she can leave the slave job.

Obituary Announcement!!!

The family of Johnny English regret to announce the sudden demise of Johnny Oyibo English. He was brutally murdered on nairaland by the quoted hit and run commenter. Lol

1 Like

Re: The Crazy Experience Of A Bank Contract Staff by Nobody: 10:03pm On Mar 04, 2016
Samakus:

Obituary Announcement!!!

The family of Johnny English regret to announce the sudden demise of Johnny Oyibo English. He was brutally murdered on nairaland by the quoted hit and run commenter. Lol
You fit swear say you never gbagun before?Stop to dey act like say na you invent english language.FYI,i no be wole soyinka o.
Re: The Crazy Experience Of A Bank Contract Staff by Bookiemart01(f): 10:09pm On Mar 04, 2016
All of these happened and you stayed for 6 years?
I couldn't have stayed more than 1 year.

1 MFB in ibadan tried it with me. They are owned by French guys, they pay 40k to staff and pay uou 0.003% of your target as bonuses.

I fought so hard for a better pay and work conditions but I eventually left them after 7 months (I was part of their pioneer staff members ). I walked the length and breath of Ibadan looking for customers only to be paid 40k salary (34k as total take home because they deduct PAYE and Pension ). The French guys (expatriates) had their kids enrolled in IBADAN INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL (IBS) located in Iyaganku. Those kids pay 500k per term.
That thier 500k per term was more than the my annual salary

Sad thing is my fellow Nigerian youths never liked the fact that I was always against the management. They preferred the half bread those french guys offer them
y.

I just had to resign because I know if I didn't, I'll just end up killing someone.

I offer accounting and bookkeeping services for small businesses i also import goods to sell (I'm planning to start exportation as i just registered my company withat exportat council). I work from home at my pace and I earn good money.

I hate slavery of any type

legacy4real:
If you said bank contract staff is a modern slavery you are right because I use to work with a bank (gtb) as a contract staff for 6 years. You will work while some people will benefit from your labour. No access to loan and some other benefit. Your boss will transfer his/her own pressure on you , insult you in the public even when you are right, you wil be sack even without given a letter or receiving an e mail, all the branch full staff will treat you like their servant because you're the last in the ranking, no promotion or recomendation, you will be the one directlly expose to customers, your leave will be change by your boss without following due process, after closing for the day,your lazy boss will still transfer his/her own job function to you forcefully, you will hardly eat in a day, you will be responsibly for any issues in the bank even if it does not concerns you , as a lady you will be intimidated by your superior male boss, you will be ask to attend meeting out of office without allowance using your own salary for transport, medical allowance will be deducted from your salary and you will be ask to pay when you get to the hospital you requested, no benefit from bank's profit sharing, your direct boss will put all blame on you in the name of promotion and many more.
I pray our legislature will look into this and ammend bank contract staffing laws.

3 Likes

Re: The Crazy Experience Of A Bank Contract Staff by Dirkcoyt: 10:13pm On Mar 04, 2016
Spar:
I personally working @ one company in ibadan called (bat) but am working under one stupid contract company i w not like to name, bat r paying my company 150,000 per head in a month but the slavery company dat am working with can only release 26,000 for us

You mean your contract company makes 124000 per worker alone!!!!!! Damn!!!!

Bro do you know the least amount the taxi driver in ibadan makes per day? Say passenger no dey dem go make 5000naira now multiply by 25days=125000!

Bro, keep enduring in that work to raise cash for a nissan micra then delve into transportation business, from one car to two to three to 5 bro before you know it you've started a transport company.

3 Likes

Re: The Crazy Experience Of A Bank Contract Staff by onihaxy: 10:15pm On Mar 04, 2016
hmmmmmmmmmmm ilupeju..........
Re: The Crazy Experience Of A Bank Contract Staff by Nobody: 10:16pm On Mar 04, 2016
Kachisbarbie:

Contract staff are always complaining, the aim of contract staffing is for short term job opportunities, be it to improve yourself, raise finance for further studies...etc. They will sign the employment letter, get into the system and start complaining.

Who isn't stressed?
Even full staff are stressed, more responsibilities and liabilities on you.
I know one bank that converts contract staff though_ recent development.
Banks are taking advantage of unemployment in the country to overused contract staff while they are paid less.I know you are working as a social media advocate in one of the banks.
Re: The Crazy Experience Of A Bank Contract Staff by CITIZENX: 11:10pm On Mar 04, 2016
The situation is pathetic. My friend happens to be a victim. He told me of his experience in Sterling Bank. He said he was a full staff of Trainee grade and that not too long ago they (trainees) were asked to resign and re-apply for job through WORKFORCE. He said he did as they were told and since then ha had never enjoyed the job again. He said he does not take the job like before, if he sees anything not pertaining to his desk that he will keep quite even if the thing is not good for the bank. He said before, if customers have challenges he will do all his best to resolve it, but now, he will pretend as if he does not nkow what they are even talking about, that he can not go the extra mile again. He is always sad because he was looking forward to a bright future with the bank some day but now they have ruin it by making him a contract staff. He also said, he does not assist the Service Manager again, before, he was like a deputy to her, cos he could do 90% of the SM functions, now the poor woman is doing all the job alone. if she calls her, he will pretend as if he did not hear. To make matter worse, they brought an Executive Trainee (core staff) for him to train, that he has refused to train him. The new staff keep making mistake. The guy said he is not under obligation to train him since he is useless to the bank. The core staff earns around 204K monthly while he who is supposed to train him is earning 90k without any good prospect for the future. He ignored the guy and his SM, unfortunately, management in there ill advised wisdom did not know the consequence of there decisions. There was a time the CEMP had issues with her computer system, the technology guy could not be physically present because he was working in another branch, so he called that same guy that the bank had made useless to liaise with him to resolve the challenge because the guy is good on computer related stuff, unfortunately, my guy said he does not know what the the tech guy was talking about, meanwhile this was the same guy that helps to resolve minor issues like this before, so the CEMP could not make use of the computer till around 2pm when the tech guy came around.

3 Likes

Re: The Crazy Experience Of A Bank Contract Staff by asalimpo(m): 12:31am On Mar 05, 2016
Bookiemart01:
All of these happened and you stayed for 6 years?
I couldn't have stayed more than 1 year.

1 MFB in ibadan tried it with me. They are owned by French guys, they pay 40k to staff and pay uou 0.003% of your target as bonuses.

I fought so hard for a better pay and work conditions but I eventually left them after 7 months (I was part of their pioneer staff members ). I walked the length and breath of Ibadan looking for customers only to be paid 40k salary (34k as total take home because they deduct PAYE and Pension ). The French guys (expatriates) had their kids enrolled in IBADAN INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL (IBS) located in Iyaganku. Those kids pay 500k per term.
That thier 500k per term was more than the my annual salary

Sad thing is my fellow Nigerian youths never liked the fact that I was always against the management. They preferred the half bread those french guys offer them
y.

I just had to resign because I know if I didn't, I'll just end up killing someone.

I offer accounting and bookkeeping services for small businesses i also import goods to sell (I'm planning to start exportation as i just registered my company withat exportat council). I work from home at my pace and I earn good money.

I hate slavery of any type

Good to see that you fought back.
Are you a chartered accountant?
I'm asking,because, it's my view that it seems only certified accounts sell their services here.
Re: The Crazy Experience Of A Bank Contract Staff by dantori(m): 1:19am On Mar 05, 2016
xyz098:
I resumed as a contract staff of a bank early last month, every one was happy for me (having waited for over two years before getting a real job). They all thanked God on my behalf. I was eventually posted to the contact centre of the bank located somewhere in ilupeju. my first one week on the job opened my eyes to the real definition of slavery. people work like crazy, targets have to be met, and there's no closing time. as an msc student, I had thought I can combine both, but with what I'm seeing, I'm scared. even more Scarry is when you meet people there and they tell you they've been in that slavery for up to four Years.

please share your experience as a contract staff. how were you able to cope?

ISON BPO the airtel customer care company does worse
Re: The Crazy Experience Of A Bank Contract Staff by mikolo80: 5:32am On Mar 05, 2016
Rogersmith:
That is just the way our system works this country. The blame should be directed to the labour congress. I believe that they is a labour law that protects the rights of contact staff, but because of unwillingness and selfishness of our labour congress this laws cannot be put into action. The national assembly should also have the share of the blame. This private companies inject money into national assembly to stop any process of making new laws to checkmate their excesses.
will nlc feed you when they sack you

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Where Can An Industrial Chemistry Graduate Work? / Electrician Electrocuted While Working On A Pole In Port-Harcourt. Photos / NNPC Retires 1000 Staff

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.