Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,520 members, 7,819,868 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:16 AM

What Percentage Of Your Salary Should Be Allotted To Accommodation? - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Percentage Of Your Salary Should Be Allotted To Accommodation? (34264 Views)

Your Salary Is Not Enough If You Experience These Signs / 7 Ways You Waste Your Salary Without Knowing / Describe Your Salary With A Movie Title!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Should Be Allotted To Accommodation? by akeensbussy(m): 10:51am On Mar 16, 2016
Goldencollins:

Where are u based??

Akeja, Ota, Ogun State
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Should Be Allotted To Accommodation? by Gerrard59(m): 11:36am On Mar 16, 2016
masonkz:
18% of my annual net salary goes into rent...

My rent is about N500k per annum. You can do the math.

You earn that much annually after 5 years in that big4 firm? shocked.
Respect brother. When I grow up(which I am) I'd [/s]need[s] want to be like you.

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Should Be Allotted To Accommodation? by Nobody: 11:40am On Mar 16, 2016
Gerrard59:

You earn that much annually after 5 years in that big4 firm? shocked.
Respect brother. When I grow up(which I am) I'd [/s]need[s] want to be like you.

Lol 5 years ke. Abeg o. I never reach 3 sef
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Should Be Allotted To Accommodation? by akeensbussy(m): 12:42pm On Mar 16, 2016
ckamal:

Bros permit to me say that even though you have been conservative enough in your own way but don't u think u might be spending more on medical bills that if care is not taking can wipe off all that u ever worked for if you continue living your life this way.I mean why would anyone punish themselves like this all in the name of becoming a Landlord..You should also know that its not everybody that can live in a room and parlour apartments just to prove that they are prudent enough..I feel one's work place should not be so far away from their homes..These are the reasons why most people age on time, i mean why work so hard to get everything and i end up not having the good health to enjoy it.

BottomLine:You can still live right and still save up some money to buy a land and build it to your taste..it just might tarry a bit..Life is too short jare.

u mean sleeping for 5hrs for 5 days is a punishment? infact, this has been helping since I started working on my own. am doing alot now. I run my IT business, property business, cleaning business and other petty business and I had never been down once. when I needed to rest I do. Laziness is what I see in the life of many today.

There was a day I went to mile 2 to pick up a package, left for Iju-ota, to allocate a portion of Land to my client and headed to Oregun in Ikeja to delivery computer system and 2 printers. all these in one day and am not exaggerating. I made 210k that day alone.
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Should Be Allotted To Accommodation? by nabiz(m): 1:16pm On Mar 16, 2016
Engrr:

Your 1 month salary cannot give u a decent accomodation that befits your level in most parts of Nigeria, unless you are working in the village
my chairman I stay in abuja. I live in mpape hill behind Itv station. My rent is 350k per per year which is less than my average monthly income. it is a BQ like apartment. The main building is about 900k per year. In case u need a flat, u can give me a call. It is a beautiful place with constant light, and u can check my pics profile. Now u have an idea of my yearly income grin by the grace of God I will say by-by to house rent by November
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Should Be Allotted To Accommodation? by ladyF(f): 3:43pm On Mar 16, 2016
lastmessenger:
Am yet to see your Hi on WhatsApp.
Sorry, can you send me a PM on what it's about instead please?
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Should Be Allotted To Accommodation? by blackfm: 11:03pm On Mar 17, 2016
masonkz:

Lol 5 years ke. Abeg o. I never reach 3 sef
Would you mind helping with some insight on how to go about my request on thread below. I'll send u a pm as well
https://www.nairaland.com/2403757/working-big4-experience/5
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Should Be Allotted To Accommodation? by SenatorJames(m): 10:49pm On Mar 18, 2016
I have learnt alots on this thread.

1 Like

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Should Be Allotted To Accommodation? by viewflux(m): 11:08pm On Apr 20, 2016
LaurelP:

150k/year?
U don't live in Lagos right?

i live in Port Harcourt
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Should Be Allotted To Accommodation? by DavidOkafor: 4:44pm On Apr 22, 2016
I am currently writing a book on financial management. What I prescribe is that your one month income not necessarily your salary should be able to pay your 12 months rent. If you are serious about investment and future.

At most 10% of your annual income should be used for your annual income if not you will keep working for your landlord.
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Should Be Allotted To Accommodation? by rmagicus(m): 12:35pm On Jun 24, 2016
In my opinion, 2 month salary should be able to cater for your house rent.
If not, you are not planning to save.
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Should Be Allotted To Accommodation? by Metrics4tea: 2:20pm On Jul 12, 2018
i earn 165,000 a month married, house rent 450k. two bedroom. seems my rent is too high
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Should Be Allotted To Accommodation? by Mbkite(m): 6:28pm On Jul 13, 2018
Metrics4tea:
i earn 165,000 a month married, house rent 450k. two bedroom. seems my rent is too high

Check other things. How much do you spend on tfare? If you still spend much on tfare, say 20k per month. Then, your rent can be taken as high. Unless you have other sources of income.
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Should Be Allotted To Accommodation? by OLAMINREWA(m): 9:48pm On Jul 13, 2018
The thread has been informative. In my opinion, I think 20-25% of one's income per annum is ideal.

1 Like

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Should Be Allotted To Accommodation? by wallmosh: 11:13am On Jul 16, 2018
hazyfm1:

This is a very logical question, In Lagos you either choose to spend on accommodation or transportation.

Both have their pros and cons, but I always advise people spend on accommodation, rather than spend more on transportation.
Reasons being that:
1. Life is short, why live in Iyana ipaja/ Aboru/ Abule Egba and work in VI ? When you can live in Surulere
2. Why spend N1000-N1500 on transportation daily when you can spend less than N500?

This is the challenge am having right now. I have been staying in the north for awhile and I am contemplating on moving back to Lagos but I am having issues with residency and transportation considering proximity to place of work.
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Should Be Allotted To Accommodation? by wallmosh: 11:22am On Jul 16, 2018
uscofield:
The best shot is, don't live in a house that is above your two (2) months take home salary.
It works like aboniki.
It pays no one to pay heavily on rent and not own your own house.
Open your eyes ooooooo.

What's about transportation?

1000 * 20 * 12 = 240,000
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Should Be Allotted To Accommodation? by wallmosh: 2:05pm On Jul 16, 2018
tenderlaw:

I stay in Lagos, and by God's grace my rent is 9.7% of my annual take home.

Where in Lagos and location of workplace if you mind?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training / Official Car For Assistant Manager, Nothing For The Manager / How Did You Get Your Present Job?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.