Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,986 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:28 AM

My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training (34061 Views)

Gallant Soldiers Sit On Their Head Inside A Dirty Water During Military Training / American Military Training Is As Inhuman As That Of Nigerian Army- Pictures / Drama As Scared Nigerian Cadet Refuses To Jump During Military Training. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by chatinent: 3:01pm On Jul 03, 2023
Hi everyone,,, so this is my experience joining the Nigerian Army, batch 13NA regular intake.

Growing up in those days, I think I had a thing for the military...plus that's what my dad loved doing. Having stayed in the barracks half my life, I grew accustomed to the way and manner the system works.

So it was 2013, and I picked the form...although, with a modicum of apathy.

One thing about this phase is that even as you haven't joined, you'd start feeling like a soldier already! You go dey assume! You'd even begin to purchase okrika khaki pants and singlets...you know, after all, that's where you are going. We were already clearing people's doubts, and chawoosing those LASTMA boys you know.😌

Okay okay, time don reach. We proceeded to partake in the aptitude test, which served as the initial stage of screening within the confines of the barracks, followed by the subsequent pre-medical evaluations. Indeed, I successfully achieved a favorable outcome due to my exceptional intellectual acumen, and I possessed a considerable stature and exhibited remarkable dexterity. Don't believe me, it was through connections!😊😜

So time don dey reach to enter Depot N.A..that's the place where soldiers are made in Kaduna. That is the very crucible in which men are forged. A few acquaintances who were aware of my shortlisting had already commenced offering me counsel and expressing their condolences through the medium of proverbs. Lol. And there was Nduka. Nduka who indelibly etched an event within the recesses of my memory, destined to endure for the entirety of my mortal existence.

Nduka consistently showed an aura of maturity, rendering him a sagacious individual in my perception. On the eve of my imminent departure, he imparted a cunning stratagem to endure the arduous conditions when I get to Depot. He expressed the notion that throughout the duration of our training, it is imperative that I refrain from exhibiting any signs of intellectual lethargy or weakness. That if I wanted to get a quick ticket to the next phase and be seen as one who is fit. He said, assuming I was doing a frog jump or sth else, I should summon courage and refuse to continue. And the event that the soldier attempts to compel my compliance through the exertion of physical coercion, that I should attack and adopt a defensive stance and engage in a counteroffensive maneuver to the soldier. His words were laced with salt.

I was like "attack? Bro, that one na die na." He was like "funny you, do you think it's everyone who does the whole training? How do you think some soldiers are promoted fast before the others? It's how rugged you are and how you show it that will make them choose you fast from the weaklings. One oga will just call them to bring you out and bro, you are now very qualified because of the courage. E dey happen steady ". Hmm, I pondered over it. Well, it sounded a bit realistic.

Depot N.A.

The bus has just arrived the gate of the great Depot. Let's overlook what transpired during the trip and focus on this arrival. Next shout we heard was 'FALL IN.'

We were forced to carry our luggage while doing frog jumps to enter the gate. That was the slowest moment on my life. And if you tried to cheat the drill, you'll start again after being beaten mercilessly.

There was this Miss Pepeye trailing behind me who was lugging around a lot of heavy luggage. She was so upset by the soldiers that she abandoned her belongings and fled to the opposite side of the road, where she knelt down and begged while crying. The expression on my grave face was supposed to be one of laughter, but I had just beaten myself. At the very least, watching the drama was entertaining.

The 'faithful' day..

Long story short, we were "on planting." In military, to go on planting is one of the most difficult drills. You will literary be upside down and it will take no minutes before blood starts rushing to your head. In order words, you are upside down but standing on your head.

Omo, I don dey feel tears pouring from my side eyes but I wasn't crying. This drill is coming after we were already punished because sb murmured while the MWOII (Master Warrant Officer) was talking. My body was literally burning and we still had to go on planting. Since I was fair in complexion, it was another bad omen. Fair people in Depot are usually used as "white fowls" or scapegoats as you call it. Those soldiers enjoy seeing red veins or blood on your skin.

So, I was still on planting and in that position upside down, I saw a soldier still beating some others on planting either because they were shaking miserably or for sth else. I was deliberately if this military was even worth it. Abi no bi to just run? I looked at the fence and it looked jump-able. After all, they don't pay well. I was just looking for the perfect excuse for the nearest exit and to solidify my reasons to hang my boots.

It was that moment I remembered Martins who was in a local vigilante in my street who told me to roll in mud water for no just reason because he felt I was haughty. I swore to damage him when I came out. As I was thinking all this, I also remembered how Nduka advised me to not pay evil with evil when I finally pass out from the training. In mid-thoughts, I remembered Nduka’s advice—the game changer!

Don't forget I was still planting my head on the ground. My neck was about to break cos we have been on this for about 15mins. As I tried to adjust a bit to accommodate the pain with another side of my head, this soldier kicked me on my shoulders...a missed hit that should have been my neck. Omo, the whole advice from Nduka flashed me and in light speed, I came down from the drill and pushed the soldier so hard that he fell. And I charged towards him. To be honest, I didn't even know why I charged cos I didn't even charge to hit him or punch. I realised I just charged to make him remain on the floor.

To cut the story short, ha, Nduka no tell me everything wey fit happen to me o. The oga there told them to single me out...which Nduka actually said...but it was the opposite. The beating I received that day and the days that followed, only God knew how I survived it. Till date, I have some of the scars on my body.

It was not easy at all.

Have you ever experienced sth similar? Kindly share.

118 Likes 12 Shares

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by endsarrrs(f): 3:01pm On Jul 03, 2023
Grammar and over sabi sabi dey worry dat Otondo head

What regular intake?

70RRI abi? cheesy

All those Chindit Barrack girls no allow you do POP ba?!

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by chatinent: 3:19pm On Jul 03, 2023
endsarrrs:
Grammar and over sabi sabi dey worry dat Otondo head

What regular?

70 abi? cheesy

You na 70?
I'm not there anymore, anyways.

Enjoy the pics below to get a clearer picture of the recruits life in Depot.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by chatinent: 3:21pm On Jul 03, 2023
cc: lalasticlala, Dominque, mynd44, nlfpmod

1 Like

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by Kharol1234: 4:58pm On Jul 03, 2023
I be Bari boy born and breed but I hate military die

29 Likes

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by abufadllullah(m): 6:07pm On Jul 03, 2023
chatinent:

You na 70?
I'm not there anymore, anyways.
Grew up and breed in Zaria. Precisely around Jushi, the direct settlement after NMS!. Attended Command Children School Zaria NMS barrack! See basically spent my Childhood around Soldiers and Khaki men!. I have no reasons whatsoever, to just wake up one morning and decide that it is the Army I Want to join!. Don't know why, maybe it is because I have seen how these guys are brutalized and demean all in the name of toughen up and mould into a man!...
By the way why did you leave the Army??

53 Likes 7 Shares

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by Cerebellum: 6:21pm On Jul 03, 2023
Lol grin OP will be like "Ndoka you no tell me say like that this E go be"
"God will judge you Ndoka, make A no meet you for house when I reurnigrin"

Ndoka is a very wicked mangrin

38 Likes

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by Theama(m): 6:28pm On Jul 03, 2023
Cerebellum:

Kai nau cheesy

20 Likes

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by chatinent: 6:42pm On Jul 03, 2023
Cerebellum:

As in eh

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by chatinent: 6:42pm On Jul 03, 2023
abufadllullah:

Grew up and breed in Zaria. Precisely around Jushi, the direct settlement after NMS!. Attended Command Children School Zaria NMS barrack! See basically spent my Childhood around Soldiers and Khaki men!. I have no reasons whatsoever, to just wake up one morning and decide that it is the Army I Want to join!. Don't know why, maybe it is because I have seen how these guys are brutalized and demean all in the name of toughen up and mould into a man!...
By the way why did you leave the Army??

You were an exboy?
Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by abufadllullah(m): 6:47pm On Jul 03, 2023
chatinent:

You were an exboy?
No!
Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by chatinent: 7:51pm On Jul 03, 2023
Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by eepeepook: 7:12am On Jul 04, 2023
Abeg, complete the story. Nigerian military na animals in uniform turning other people's children into animals in uniform. China should show us the proper way to create soldiers.

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by chatinent: 8:21am On Jul 04, 2023
eepeepook:
Abeg, complete the story. Nigerian military na animals in uniform turning other people's children into animals in uniform. China should show us the proper way to create soldiers.

That was the only point I wanted to make.

But truly speaking, they only maltreat recruits there. Too much beating is not standard training. To them, they are removing the civilian blood..but that's not the way the whites train. Once opportune to go on peace keeping abroad, you'll see the difference.

78 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by chatinent: 8:22am On Jul 04, 2023
Kharol1234:
I be Bari boy born and breed but I hate military die

Why?
Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by chatinent: 8:24am On Jul 04, 2023
abufadllullah:

No!

Tor.

Maybe you have a relative as one. Cos some barrack boys or ex commandos who refuse to join is due to past bad experiences.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by iHateFraudsters: 1:02pm On Jul 04, 2023
Nice
Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by Ekakamba: 1:02pm On Jul 04, 2023
cool
Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by Boyooosa(m): 1:03pm On Jul 04, 2023
Ok
Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by Mase2020g(m): 1:03pm On Jul 04, 2023
Why
Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by Ekejoestar(m): 1:03pm On Jul 04, 2023
E no easy to be a soldier truely but Nigerians own get as e be, that's why most of those ordinary recruit soldiers usually turns in wild animals when they come across a civilian all because of the training they passed through.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by davillian(m): 1:04pm On Jul 04, 2023
My friend joined us army skinny
But after training he was well built and thick....
The Nigerian army training need to be fixed
They should give drills that will build your body and not beating people like animals....
They should give endurance training and not drying people inside the sun.

64 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by GeneralPula: 1:04pm On Jul 04, 2023
eepeepook:
When it comes to military training, it’s almost brutal everywhere on earth..

I watched a video clip of USA training their Soldiers! Omo, I open mouth!

Some soldiers do die during training self..

38 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by Kingsley123456(m): 1:05pm On Jul 04, 2023
No energy to read this epistle, sorry man

2 Likes

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by accordadoga26(f): 1:05pm On Jul 04, 2023
No training given to you on how to deal with the 5% Ipob terrorists?

6 Likes

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by Sonnobax15(m): 1:05pm On Jul 04, 2023
grin
Na wa oh grin grin. Military life used to be sweet back then..But now,na who life don tire dey go join nigerian army tongue. Or else,boko haram go use you take shine throway shocked

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by BigBlackPreek(m): 1:05pm On Jul 04, 2023
I'm eager to join the military

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training by YorubaNinja: 1:07pm On Jul 04, 2023
cool

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Coca-Cola Accused Of Abandoning Staff Who Was Amputated After Injury (Photos) / Top 10 Highest Paying Jobs In Nigeria / How Do I Access My Father's Pension From His RSA Account?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.