Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,971 members, 7,825,037 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 01:20 AM

Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. (8318 Views)

Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit / Baba Suwe Vs NDLEA: N25m Judgment Appeal Hearing On April 28 / Is Alao-akala And Other Pdp Candiadtes In Oyo State Disqualified? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by Beline(f): 2:46pm On Jul 16, 2009
To all that says 5M is not too much, I will like to remind you that we are talking about Naira not Zimbabwe dollar?
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by Kobojunkie: 2:47pm On Jul 16, 2009
Does the government need to be in the business of constructiing public toilets though? I mean is it that peoplle need government to provide this too?
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by Fhemmmy: 2:54pm On Jul 16, 2009
Even if the govt has to provide it, they need to probe this real well and check how the money was spent, cos i smell some rat here
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by Redman44(m): 3:02pm On Jul 16, 2009
@Fhemmmy

I think we need to ask ourselves what kind of Public utilities we want. We need to ask for quality and not quantity. As a Zikite, I was brought up in the tradition of always striving for quality in anything I do. I don't believe in a public toilet that will look like a bus-stop just with one toilet seat and one wash hand basin cry cry I'm talking of a Public toilet with at least 5 compartments and three wash hand basins. There will also be a space for urinating, you know. What I'm saying is that each of the Public Toilets should have 5 toilet seats and 3 wash hand basins with running water. Then the 5 million Naira will be justified sad sad  I have seen Public Toliets in the past in Nigeria and they were just ridiculous in design and structure. No wonder they broke down and became dilapidated cry cry I believe Akala will not give the contract for the construction of the toilets to local contractors, many of whom execute contracts shabbily. I want the Governor to use credible Engineering firms operating in Nigeria.

The Oyo State Government also has to employ cleaners that will make the toilet areas neat and hygienic.  There should be signs and notices around the toilets that will give instructions to users as they empty their bowels sad sad Cheers.
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by sley4life(m): 3:06pm On Jul 16, 2009
akinalabi:

I think its about the type of toliet.

I dont think N5 is too much for one toilet.
u need to open ur fridge & take some cold drink. Who told u 5m per toilet isnt much. Or maybe u meant 5K, then i will understand its a syntax error. Is it the queen of England or Obama that wants to use it.
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by Fhemmmy: 3:13pm On Jul 16, 2009
Redman44:

@Fhemmmy

I think we need to ask ourselves what kind of Public utilities we want. We need to ask for quality and not quantity. As a Zikite, I was brought up in the tradition of always striving for quality in anything I do. I don't believe in a public toilet that will look like a bus-stop just with one toilet seat and one wash hand basin cry cry I'm talking of a Public toilet with at least 5 compartments and three wash hand basins. There will also be a space for urinating, you know. What I'm saying is that each of the Public Toilets should have 5 toilet seats and 3 wash hand basins with running water. Then the 5 million Naira will be justified sad sad  I have seen Public Toliets in the past in Nigeria and they were just ridiculous in design and structure. No wonder they broke down and became dilapidated cry cry I believe Akala will not give the contract for the construction of the toilets to local contractors, many of whom execute contracts shabbily. I want the Governor to use credible Engineering firms operating in Nigeria.

The Oyo State Government also has to employ cleaners that will make the toilet areas neat and hygienic.  There should be signs and notices around the toilets that will give instructions to users as they empty their bowels sad sad Cheers.

Only people that has ate and drink something will use the toilet, people are hungry and has no job and the dumb freaking governor is spending 25M for 5 toilets and we here justifying it?
They have hired pple to make sure the toilet is clean and hygenic? excuse me, i think the governor has a misplaced agenda and it is sad.
they need to find a way to invest in better things, they cld used those to build some affordable homes, invest in some people for biz and trading and then, they have have money to eat and be able to use the fukced toilets
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by Redman44(m): 3:26pm On Jul 16, 2009
@Fhemmmy @Kobojunkie

If you have a relative who's an architect or an engineer, they will be able to tell you the true costs of constructing Public Utilities. It is easy to think constructing a Public Toilet should not cost much until you start building the facility yourself sad sad As the work goes on, you will start spending money. Then you will realize the enormity of the work at hand. It is easy to pontificate and suggest how things should be done, until you're shoved into the hot seat yourself. Think about the cost of the Suck-Away, the Borehole and the aesthetics. Then think of workmanship fees. I'm not talking about building a cubicle and calling it a Public Toilet. I'm talking of an edifice that will take about 5-6 people at a time and have a male and a female area. Cheers.
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by Okwyjesus(m): 3:45pm On Jul 16, 2009
Too expensive biko, will he do that with his personnal money
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by Fhemmmy: 3:47pm On Jul 16, 2009
Redman44:

@Fhemmmy @Kobojunkie

If you have a relative who's an architect or an engineer, they will be able to tell you the true costs of constructing Public Utilities. It is easy to think constructing a Public Toilet should not cost much until you start building the facility yourself sad sad As the work goes on, you will start spending money. Then you will realize the enormity of the work at hand. It is easy to pontificate and suggest how things should be done, until you're shoved into the hot seat yourself. Think about the cost of the Suck-Away, the Borehole and the aesthetics. Then think of workmanship fees. I'm not talking about building a cubicle and calling it a Public Toilet. I'm talking of an edifice that will take about 5-6 people at a time and have a male and a female area. Cheers.

hahahahahaha
in a place where i am sure they have the leafs to clean their yansh when they are done, i am sure no Tissue there as well.
I rest my case sha, but i think it was a waste of money and the money cld be better spent on other needs
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by sley4life(m): 3:53pm On Jul 16, 2009
Who knows the type of toilet they want to construct. Even a whole edifice with whole components built with marble can cost less. They may just drop pit toilet there or mobile toilet quoting 25m.
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by Redman44(m): 3:57pm On Jul 16, 2009
@Fhemmmy,

I'm not here to defend Governor Akala but I don't think he should be blamed for people going hungry or being jobless. It is only in Nigeria that people expect the government to provide jobs for them and feed them. I agree that that the Oyo State Government needs to provide a conducive environment for business to flourish and create skill acquisition centres. However, one of the basic things a government needs to provide is Public Utilities. You said Nigerians are hungry cry cry Can you tell me the level of hunger of Nigerians? Is it not the same Ibadan where I had my undergraduate education? The same Ibadan that has the amazing Bodija Market?  Is it not the same Ibadan where bus drivers and conductors eat like kings? While I was studying in Ibadan, I used to visit Bukas and Canteens in town and I was usually outdone by the conductors when it comes to ordering good food cool cool These guys ate like kings ordering all kinds of meat and fish with small wraps of Amala, fufu and eba.

I believe if these drivers and conductors invested the money they made into profitable businesses, they wont have to wait for the government to provide jobs for them. Instead, many of them spent it on food, drinks [ paraga] and prostitutes cry cry How many jobs is the British Government providing for their citizens? It is the private sector that drives the economies of the advanced countries. Jobs provided by the Government should be about 15% while the Private sector provide the other jobs. Look at America and how it coped with the Great Depression of the roaring 20's [ 1920'S ] Franklin Delano Roosevelt  [ FDR ] came in and turned the country around. And what did he do? He provided lots of utilities and infrastructure and built many Public buildings, schools and institutions. FDR also made the American environment friendly to investment and business. The Private sector did the rest.

Fhemmmy, do you know that the American Government closed its eyes and allowed smugglers to have a field day because many of the smugglers invested their money back into the American economy? This kind of agreement between the US government and smugglers [ Drug Cartels and Goods Smugglers ] still exists till today. Forget about the official laws, mate. During the Great Depression, the Gangster, Al Capone, was allowed to feed poor people in California and New York while the Government looked away briefly from his illegal activities. My research revealed to me that we have about 786 Microfinance banks in Nigeria cool cool Nigerian youths need to start thinking. Nigeria is a country where I see citizens complain in the afternoon, but would down 5 bottles of Gulder or Guiness [ odeku ] in the night grin grin. They spend money on excesses but cant think of innovative business ideas. I have other things to do online. Let me exit Nairaland for now. Cheers all.
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by la1(m): 4:00pm On Jul 16, 2009
His mates in LAGOS are building mega cities,dedicated bus routes,Planting trees,Energy cities,lighting Streets,building schools,roads and hospitals, and he is building toilets!!!

The man and all his supporters on this Forum need their heads examined!.
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by matiltomd(f): 5:06pm On Jul 16, 2009
This bleaching/tinted Governor won't cease to amaze me o,
shey na Public Toilets dem need 4 Ibadan now? I'm embarrassed,
Security- 0 (despite the fact that the man is a retired police officer)
Education- 0,
Enough bad roads in Ibadan- Queen Cinema Road, Anfani/ College Crescent, Oke Ado Road e.t.c.
Mokola Roundabout looks like an incinerator,
the whole city is littered with destitute.
Electricity- forget it,
the basic amenities that we're entitled to, this yeye man can't provide and he's here talking about Public toilets,
Rubbish,
shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by AloyEmeka9: 5:16pm On Jul 16, 2009
Is public toilet not a basic amenity that must be in place in any city?. Unless N5M is for one toilet with 20 units, I think the amount is over inflated.
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by Fhemmmy: 5:17pm On Jul 16, 2009
@Redman.
I have never been and never will be an advocate of goverment providing jobs for all the citizen, however, the govt has their own to take care of.
Most hospitals in Ibadan are going south and messed up and all he cld do is invest in Toilets for 25M
the govt could invest in training people and giving them hope and future, they could train them in some trades, cos when theya re trained and they have a job, it is to the better of their states.
The govt could provide some money for some small biz and let them start making a living and have a way to repay the loan.
There are too many thins that cld be done, the roads are bad and mind u, bad roads dont aid services and biz.
The farmers are hungry, invest in some high breed agricultural stuff.
get them some machineries.
Not a toilet.
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by AloyEmeka9: 5:17pm On Jul 16, 2009
Beline:

To all that says 5M is not too much, I will like to remind you that we are talking about Naira not Zimbabwe dollar?
Abeg tell them oooo. N5M can provide 30 mobile toilets around Ibadan.
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by AloyEmeka9: 5:18pm On Jul 16, 2009
Fhemmmy:

@Redman.
I have never been and never will be an advocate of goverment providing jobs for all the citizen, however, the govt has their own to take care of.
Most hospitals in Ibadan are going south and messed up and all he cld do is invest in Toilets for 25M
the govt could invest in training people and giving them hope and future, they could train them in some trades, cos when theya re trained and they have a job, it is to the better of their states.
The govt could provide some money for some small biz and let them start making a living and have a way to repay the loan.
There are too many thins that cld be done, the roads are bad and mind u, bad roads dont aid services and biz.
The farmers are hungry, invest in some high breed agricultural stuff.
get them some machineries.
Not a toilet.
The toilet is a necessity. Do you know what our women go through everyday because they want to ease themselves?
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by Fhemmmy: 5:18pm On Jul 16, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Is public toilet not a basic amenity that must be in place in any city?. Unless N5M is for one toilet with 20 units, I think the amount is over inflated.

I am sure there are Restaurants around all over the states, so why cant people use those?
there is not doubt that it is a necessity, but there are priorities
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by AloyEmeka9: 5:22pm On Jul 16, 2009
Use restaurants to ease yourself?. You think obodo Nigeria is obodo oyibo?. Dem no born you well make you enter mama Dupe restaurant and pee without buying anything. Many of them don't have toilets anyway.
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by Fhemmmy: 5:25pm On Jul 16, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Use restaurants to ease yourself?. You think obodo Nigeria is obodo oyibo?. Dem no born you well make you enter mama Dupe restaurant and pee without buying anything. Many of them don't have toilets anyway.

haba, Nigeria is not yet that terrible as to that you cant walk into a restaurant and tell them you wanna use the washroom
But my argument though is that, there is need for investment in other things that are more important
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by mamagee3(f): 5:28pm On Jul 16, 2009
illiteracy has taken the better part of our leaders.
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by OpsE1: 5:32pm On Jul 16, 2009
It is amazing that Akala wants to build public toilets where people don't even have water to drink and government cannot provide water.Pipe borne water does not flow anywhere in Ibadan.If you have been there recently you'll see how people carry buckets and jerry cans around searching for water.

Who says N5m is not too much for toilet? I can authoritatively tell you that with N6m you can finish a 3br flat with 4 toilets and washing hand basins, I mean standard fittings.I stand to be challenged on this !!!
except he's planning to have megatoilet stations with 20 toilets, but I can assure you that what we'll see at the end of the day will make people mad.

I wish him well however, Fashola and Amaechi are setting targets for governance and responsible governments should key into it instead of embarking on projects that will not have serious impact on people.There are thousands of things to do in Oyo state to improve the welfare of people and he should wake up and work.
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by AloyEmeka9: 5:33pm On Jul 16, 2009
Fhemmmy:

haba, Nigeria is not yet that terrible as to that you cant walk into a restaurant and tell them you wanna use the washroom
But my argument though is that, there is need for investment in other things that are more important
Okay, let me warn you well well: never ever enter somebody's restraunt and demand to use their non existent restroom without buying even a bottle of coke. bars sef no get toilet for here.
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by Fhemmmy: 5:34pm On Jul 16, 2009
Ops E:

It is amazing that Akala wants to build public toilets where people don't even have water to drink and government cannot provide water.Pipe borne water does not flow anywhere in Ibadan.If you have been there recently you'll see how people carry buckets and jerry cans around searching for water.

Who says N5m is not too much for toilet? I can authoritatively tell you that with N6m you can finish a 3br flat with 4 toilets and washing hand basins, I mean standard fittings.I stand to be challenged on this !!!
except he's planning to have megatoilet stations with 20 toilets, but I can assure you that what we'll see at the end of the day will make people mad.

I wish him well however, Fashola and Amaechi are setting targets for governance and responsible governments should key into it instead of embarking on projects that will not have serious impact on people.There are thousands of things to do in Oyo state to improve the welfare of people and he should wake up and work.

\I beg tell them jare
Aloy.Emeka:

Okay, let me warn you well well: never ever enter somebody's restraunt and demand to use their non existent restroom without buying even a bottle of coke. bars sef no get toilet for here.

I will remember that when next i visit home, i hate public washrooms anyways.
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by AloyEmeka9: 5:35pm On Jul 16, 2009
Ops E:

Who says N5m is not too much for toilet? I can authoritatively tell you that with N6m you can finish a 3br flat with 4 toilets and washing hand basins, I mean standard fittings
.I stand to be challenged on this !!!

Abeg help me tell them.
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by heroes1983(m): 5:41pm On Jul 16, 2009
can anybody please tell me who are these toilets to be constructed for and where they wiil be located?
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by AloyEmeka9: 5:43pm On Jul 16, 2009
heroes1983:

can anybody please tell me who are these toilets to be constructed for and where they wiil be located?
For you now; You should be happy Akala is spending 25M for your shit. Other govs direct their citizens to the bush.
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by Fhemmmy: 5:44pm On Jul 16, 2009
I am sure one will be near the governor's constitency, so that when he wanna contest for re-election, he can point to it as achievement while in office for the first term- arggggggggggg

Aloy.Emeka:

For you now; You should be happy Akala is spending 25M for your shit. Other govs direct their citizens to the bush.

That is some expensive $hit
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by AloyEmeka9: 5:46pm On Jul 16, 2009
People in Oyo state eat balanced diet so, their shit should be balanced and expensive. That is why they voted Akala in. grin grin grin
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by Kobojunkie: 5:48pm On Jul 16, 2009
Dude, did you really need to address me directly? I mean what have I posted on here? I have asked simple questions is all, but thanks for opening me up to speaking my mind.

@Fhemmmy @Kobojunkie

If you have a relative who's an architect or an engineer, they will be able to tell you the true costs of constructing Public Utilities.

Visit my question on why it is Governments duty to build and maintain PUBLIC Loos. I am not sure where exactly these things are going. In a Park? A Stadium? Where? Why is this government in the business of building public toilets?

It is easy to think constructing a Public Toilet should not cost much until you start building the facility yourself   As the work goes on, you will start spending money. Then you will realize the enormity of the work at hand. It is easy to pontificate and suggest how things should be done, until you're shoved into the hot seat yourself.

Spare me the ramblings please!!! You are told that $40,000 is being spent on a PROTOTYPE. Instead of asking how functional the prototype will be or why the need to spend that much on a, yes, PROTOTYPE, you are here trying to cajole me into believing you understand this better than I do? Go bug someone else, abeg!! Lol

Think about the cost of the Suck-Away, the Borehole and the aesthetics. Then think of workmanship fees. I'm not talking about building a cubicle and calling it a Public Toilet. I'm talking of an edifice that will take about 5-6 people at a time and have a male and a female area. Cheers.

I am not talking of building a facility for 5 to 6 people. I am simply asking WHY? And what will a PROTOTYPE mean in this case. If you can research and get me answers to those questions, that will do.
grin
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by asha80(m): 5:53pm On Jul 16, 2009
So building pubic toilets will be akala's achievement in Oyo shocked grin Chai Peter Obi will have some company.
Re: Alao Akala Awards N25m For 5 Public Toilets. by freezy(m): 6:24pm On Jul 16, 2009
5M for a single public rest room? Haba. . .! I'll keep my peace till the prototype is seen. I know people in Ibadan that built respectable bungalows (3 bedrooms, 3 toilets and bath) with just about 3.5M in Ibadan. Like I said earlier, I'm holding my peace till we see what its gonna look like.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Historical Video Documentaries Of 1st Republic Elections And All Candidates. / Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? / Electricity Generation Falls To 2,616MW, Six Plants Idle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.