Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,879 members, 7,821,067 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:46 AM

Historical Video Documentaries Of 1st Republic Elections And All Candidates. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Historical Video Documentaries Of 1st Republic Elections And All Candidates. (8317 Views)

2015 Elections And Beyond: My Perception About The Igbos! / Raymond Dokpesi To Buhari: Documentaries We Ran About You Were Factually Correct / AIT Received N10 Billion For Damaging Documentaries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Historical Video Documentaries Of 1st Republic Elections And All Candidates. by dempeople(m): 6:36pm On Jan 23, 2012
The videos were recorded for CBS from the race track in lagos by one Eric Sevareid who died in 1992 and another reporter.

Enjoy

Video One

[flash=350,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFCvxESIc1A[/flash]

Showing 1959 elections around the country.
All over the country, people seem quite very enthusiastic about the coming elections and independence.
Apparently, Maitama Sule's eloquence didn't start recently as one can see the eloquence in him even as a young man. Probably one of a handful of "educated" northerners at the time. Its instructive to note that he never actually attended university – a testimony to the quality of schools back in the days.
Awolowo’s helicopter tours the airspace of the country during campaign. Looks like people were more interested in his helicopter than anything he had to say. His eloquence is noted though.
Bare-footed movements were the order of the day even with people who adorned attires.

Video Two

[flash=350,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7wJfQ3_wJw[/flash]

I think I saw Iheonukara Okpara voicing-out “oha kwenu”. I’m curious to know when “Igbo/Ndigbo kwenu” was adopted or whether it has been there all along.
In “2.40”, it seems Bello gave clues as to the intention to rig the 1963 elections when he was asked who would be the next Prime Minister. Watch him and his body language carefully. Also watch what he had to say when asked whether he would accept an appointment to be a Governor General – his answer puts paid to the widely-held belief of the existent proxy relationship between him and Balewa.
Balewa’s composure and eloquence as Prime Minister are noted and revealing.
I think Zik was being honest in “5:34” – “5:59”. Unfortunately, this “pro-one Nigeria” stance seems to be his greatest undoing in the views and memories of most southerners.

Video Three

[flash=350,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSqIDZ4bPF0[/flash]

Another instructive comment by the commentator (“0:03” – “0:10”) which gives a validative insight into demographic voting patterns in the country especially between the Eastern and Western regions. Could this be attributable to more Easterners living in the West at the time or simply unbiased voting preferences?
Very interesting too (onwards from “1:12”), to see the indirect rule policy of the British in action with the Emir of Kano, his brother and lieutenants acting out the script.
From “3:21” An ambitious Maitama Sule emphasizes his view on Northern civilization’s “organized” society including, during the arrival of the British. Awolowo however, seems to disagree and contradict, with his advocacy of a disbanding of the feudal system, among others. Awolowo discusses differences between NCNC and AG, among others.
Hausa/NPC – Yoruba/AG tensions are conspicuous during Awolowo’s northern adventures.

Video Four

[flash=350,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83UUX1Wf9-w[/flash]

(From “3:25”) A subtly angry Bello talks about what he sees as Awolowo’s intrusion into “Northern ways and culture” of doing things. More evidence portraying him as a sentimental character. Possibly, one might have gotten scared about losing a few votes. 
From “4:24” to “4:56”, Bello laments about the characteristics of a certain party which when microscopically examined, could translate to a known character trait of a certain people it represents – according to Bello.
Aminu Kano’s gyration is noted.
And finally for ndigbo of Nairaland, the song (from “7:47”) which was sang by the dancing ladies, resembles a track sequence in Rev. Fr. Ejike Mbaka’s Miracle Worker music of the 90s’
Re: Historical Video Documentaries Of 1st Republic Elections And All Candidates. by ogbongzky(m): 2:08pm On Jan 24, 2012
Downloading them now. Will comment after watching the videos. Thanks for sharing,
Re: Historical Video Documentaries Of 1st Republic Elections And All Candidates. by Ufeolorun(m): 3:47pm On Jan 24, 2012
Lol! Awolowo is making me laugh ,man Seriously, making the Saudana angry cos of helicopter is not a fair thing todo and saudana couldn't  hide is anger either.
Those people were really fascinated by it and this reinforces what I  heard.
Awo was a show off man! Lol!
Thanks for the video but I can't view the last 2
Re: Historical Video Documentaries Of 1st Republic Elections And All Candidates. by Kilode1: 4:30pm On Jan 24, 2012
Amazing piece of history. Great videos!

Awolowo and Azikiwe are class acts! Those politicians really campaigned.

Lol @ the symbol of the Action Group symbolizes something that you want and I want, that is Money!"

Look at all those Northerners running after his helicopter screaming Awo! Awo!
Re: Historical Video Documentaries Of 1st Republic Elections And All Candidates. by olapluto(m): 4:36pm On Jan 24, 2012
If you want to project into the future, you have to look at the past. From this video, I can safely conclude that the messiah of Nigeria will be someone like Aminu Kano or a person from the SW who can boldly break into the Hausa/Fulani Oligarchy which is more or less a colonial cancer infused on the new Nigeria. It existed then, it is existing now. M.K.O Abiola 'invaded' the territory and succeeded, but he paid with his life. The talakawas have to be liberated. They need to be shown the way.
The day Nigeria liberates the poor, we will have an egalitarian society. And oh, the Igbos, no comment. A catalyst is a substance which speeds up or slows down a reaction, but remains unchanged at the end of the reaction. Go figure,
Re: Historical Video Documentaries Of 1st Republic Elections And All Candidates. by 1forall: 4:59pm On Jan 24, 2012
Great stuff
Re: Historical Video Documentaries Of 1st Republic Elections And All Candidates. by Nobody: 8:23pm On Jan 24, 2012
Man, i downloaded it sharp sharp before CBS bring it down on Youtube. It's really wonderful, never heard the Amhadu Bello, Tafawa Balewa, Awolowo and Zik speak before in their political days, i even spotted someone that looked like igbenidion. chai those men speak better English than the politicians we have nowadays,

that Awo helicopter na slow motion the thing dey take fly, Helicopter in the enemy backyard as yhe commentator put it grin

E don tey wey Naija people don dey tribalistic, undecided
Re: Historical Video Documentaries Of 1st Republic Elections And All Candidates. by eastOFwest(m): 8:31pm On Jan 24, 2012
ola_pluto:

If you want to project into the future, you have to look at the past. From this video, I can safely conclude that the messiah of Nigeria will be someone like Aminu Kano or a person from the SW who can boldly break into the Hausa/Fulani Oligarchy which is more or less a colonial cancer infused on the new Nigeria. It existed then, it is existing now. M.K.O Abiola 'invaded' the territory and succeeded, but he paid with his life. The talakawas have to be liberated. They need to be shown the way.
The day Nigeria liberates the poor, we will have an egalitarian society. And oh, the Igbos, no comment. A catalyst is a substance which speeds up or slows down a reaction, but remains unchanged at the end of the reaction. Go figure,

Why stop at the Igbos? Do u think (whish) we are still in 1950's? What about the people whose resources are bankrolling Nigeria & creating your billionaires? They ain't gotta say? U got a rude shock coming at ya bwoy!
Re: Historical Video Documentaries Of 1st Republic Elections And All Candidates. by ijigbamigb(m): 8:56pm On Jan 24, 2012
ola_pluto:

The day Nigeria liberates the poor, we will have an egalitarian society[b]. And oh, the Igbos, no comment. A catalyst is a substance which speeds up or slows down a reaction, but remains unchanged at the end of the reaction. Go figure, [/b]

SEE PERSON JUST FINISH THE IGBOs, Sometimes I wonder why this forced marriage (Nigeria) should still remain when it is obvious WE CANT LEAVE together, Personally I prefer to stay wiv the Igbos but HAUSAs angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry NEVER angry
Re: Historical Video Documentaries Of 1st Republic Elections And All Candidates. by peckhamboi: 9:31pm On Jan 24, 2012
Awo terrorised the Sardauna in his backyard

Classic.
Re: Historical Video Documentaries Of 1st Republic Elections And All Candidates. by OchendoI: 9:45pm On Jan 24, 2012
Re: Historical Video Documentaries Of 1st Republic Elections And All Candidates. by maxsiollun: 10:29pm On Jan 24, 2012
This is a classic and even though 50+years old, the issues it highlights (cultural and religious differences between north and south) are still relevant today. The things that struck me most:

*The Sardauna's complete disinterest in federal politics and focus on preserving the customs and values of the north.

*Zik's lack of ambition - saying it did not matter which of he, Balewa and Awo became PM.

*The Sardauna's irritation with Awolowo's brash campaigning and desecration of northern traditions by hovering over/dropping leaflets on the Emir's palace.
Re: Historical Video Documentaries Of 1st Republic Elections And All Candidates. by Nobody: 10:31pm On Jan 24, 2012
Aminu Kano was the ish!!! That's a passionate politician mehn
Re: Historical Video Documentaries Of 1st Republic Elections And All Candidates. by BlackPikiN(m): 12:55am On Jan 25, 2012
dem_people:

Video Four

[flash=350,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83UUX1Wf9-w[/flash]

From “4:24” to “4:56”, Bello laments about the characteristics of a certain party which when microscopically examined, could translate to a known character trait of a certain people it represents – according to Bello.

I just suprise say Bello wash AWO with that statement.

Igbo women! God Bless them!
No be today Women get right for SE!
Re: Historical Video Documentaries Of 1st Republic Elections And All Candidates. by PhysicsQED(m): 1:22am On Jan 25, 2012
maxsiollun:

The things that struck me most:

*The Sardauna's complete disinterest in federal politics and focus on preserving the customs and values of the north.

I started reading Bello's autobiography ("My Life"wink a few days ago, and there's a massive biography of him by John Paden that I've been skimming through recently. He was extremely interested in federal politics, so I don't know what you mean by this.
Re: Historical Video Documentaries Of 1st Republic Elections And All Candidates. by Nobody: 1:31am On Jan 25, 2012
Re: Historical Video Documentaries Of 1st Republic Elections And All Candidates. by Nobody: 1:41am On Jan 25, 2012
[flash=200,200]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y1Zpk4DrlA[/flash]

Bello's reply, so much hatred in his speech , he must be smiling from his grave at the way the BH are dealing with a particular tribe from the south.

BlackPikiN:

I just suprise say Bello wash AWO with that statement.

Re: Historical Video Documentaries Of 1st Republic Elections And All Candidates. by olapluto(m): 5:12am On Jan 25, 2012
God help any of Sardauna's wife or kids who pick up Awo's leaflets dropped from the helicopter!!!
Re: Historical Video Documentaries Of 1st Republic Elections And All Candidates. by danjohn: 5:53am On Jan 25, 2012
Wow Sardauna would rather hire a British man before he hires a Southerner. Interesting
Re: Historical Video Documentaries Of 1st Republic Elections And All Candidates. by olafolarin(m): 7:51am On Jan 25, 2012
Video Three:

Awolowo introduced Minimum Wage into the country paying 5 shilling 6 pence to Western Region workers while it is 2 shilling 8 pence in other regions.
This was before colonial masters left.
Sardauna was angry that Awolowo used helicopter to campaign in his backyard.Claiming it is against the culture of the region.Which yeye culture?

Zik.Zik.
Was non-commital in his ambition.Seems to me like someone who is ready to go with the highest bidder.Maybe thats the reason he pitched tent with the Hausas to become President.Ndigbo never recovered from that mistake.

Sardauna's hatred for Awolowo is obvious,open and unadulterated.

1 Like

Re: Historical Video Documentaries Of 1st Republic Elections And All Candidates. by Ufeolorun(m): 7:58am On Jan 25, 2012
Helicopter and leaflets to undermine the authority of the great saudana of Sokoto that was unacceptable.lol!
'This will cause problem for him and his yoruba tribe' lol!

Awo was even complaining about the reception he got even after sucha provocative entry into someone else's political turf. lol!
If the saundana had done such in the west,it wouldn't havegone unanswered.
Awo would have probably try building a new university in Sokoto or establish a tv station there in response.

No Oyinbo hypocrisy of calling your political rival opponent,to them they were enemies. lol
Re: Historical Video Documentaries Of 1st Republic Elections And All Candidates. by nagoma(m): 11:36am On Jan 25, 2012
I doubt if nobody would complain if the sardauna went with a helicopter to drop leaflets in the palace of the ONI of ife or olubadun. It was an act of recklessness and provocation and I praise the sardauna's way of pointing it out without a rancour.
Re: Historical Video Documentaries Of 1st Republic Elections And All Candidates. by vicoloni(m): 12:30pm On Jan 25, 2012
Northernisation policy of the then Sardauna, a script still playing out till today thru BH
Re: Historical Video Documentaries Of 1st Republic Elections And All Candidates. by lagcity(m): 4:36pm On Jan 25, 2012
Awo na bad boy cheesy. That's why he had to be stopped by Zik and Bello. We've always known our Eastern brothers to be Sabos.
Re: Historical Video Documentaries Of 1st Republic Elections And All Candidates. by nagoma(m): 10:03am On Jan 26, 2012
@Moderator,

Many more people need to see these historical moments, especially the young folk on Nairaland . Kindly send it to front page?

Any saconder?
Re: Historical Video Documentaries Of 1st Republic Elections And All Candidates. by Ufeolorun(m): 1:13pm On Jan 26, 2012
Second,
Re: Historical Video Documentaries Of 1st Republic Elections And All Candidates. by goget(m): 3:24pm On Jan 26, 2012
@ogbonnskyx how didu download the video on you tube
Re: Historical Video Documentaries Of 1st Republic Elections And All Candidates. by chino11(m): 3:39pm On Jan 26, 2012
Awoalowoa like every other Yoruba chief thife thiefe ,somebody help me with the correct spelling grin grin
Re: Historical Video Documentaries Of 1st Republic Elections And All Candidates. by jumobi1(m): 5:47pm On Jan 26, 2012
Proof that Nigeria has no business being a country. We've either been pretending or falsely optimistic for 51 years
Re: Historical Video Documentaries Of 1st Republic Elections And All Candidates. by mhincorp(m): 1:39pm On Jan 27, 2012
Thank goodness for freedom of information. Thank you nairaland for these set of videos.
Compared to today's thieving horde, Zik, Awo, Aminu Kano, Sadauna, Balewa were better especially looking at the environment they grew up in. May I comments on some opinions on this thread?:

@Nagoma: So Awo's campaign to wake a sleeping populace, ", is act of reckless provocation, "? WoW. What a pity to reason like that in year 2012! Did you for once think Sadauna could have fabricated or exagerated the story? Is it possible that only a few leaflets dropped into the palace? Do you think it was deliberate or that it could have been blown into the palace by wind? Truth it, Awo was an astute and shrew person and politician, would he have done that deliberately? Your reasoning is dripping of the misinformation that you have been fed. Unfortuntely, even concrete and hard evidence like this can't you. What a shame.

@Ufeolorun: where in the video did Awo complained of his reception? Did you watch these videos or is it the blatant lies that you were told that is still playing in your head? May I recommend you play the videos again, ask a child to sit with you while you watch them again and let the child interprete for you afterwards.

@Blackpikin & Uchendo: I bet you are smirking at Sadauna's words about Yorubas hence your highlight. Isn't that sad? Bello knew who his more formidable opponent was hence his utterances. I believe Zik was a giant in the liberation struggle of Nigeria, but unfortunately, he was not much of a politician. Bello's words applied to him and Ndigbo's than to Yorubas. Do you even know who said I am a 'Beautiful Bride' ( and how Chuba Okadigbo derided him in the NPP vs NPN struggle in 1983) I guess those who misinformed you did not tell you about the 1957 London Constitutional conference on the question of the 'status of Lagos' and 'Derivation'?       

Guys, emancipate yourself from mental slavery - Research and read! It is a far better choice than hearsay.
Re: Historical Video Documentaries Of 1st Republic Elections And All Candidates. by chino11(m): 8:59pm On Jan 27, 2012
Was awaolowo more political when he was convicted for treason when he tried to overthrow the government of great Zik and Belawa? Monstrous Yorubas
Re: Historical Video Documentaries Of 1st Republic Elections And All Candidates. by jumobi1(m): 11:46pm On Jan 27, 2012

(1) (2) (Reply)

Meet 13 Families That Control The World, Number 5 will shock you. / Ex-IGP Idris Returns To Village As New Wife Pockets Family Assets In Abuja / Lagos State Government To Continue Enforcement Of Traffic Laws

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.