Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,848 members, 7,813,873 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:19 PM

The Use And Abuse Of Tramadol. - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Use And Abuse Of Tramadol. (70782 Views)

Man Dies After Consuming 1000mg Of Tramadol In Benue State / JSS Student Who Took 10 Tablets Of Tramadol Dies In Abia / NAFDAC Seizes Two Trucks Of Tramadol (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Use And Abuse Of Tramadol. by midehi2(f): 2:47pm On Mar 06, 2016
figo05:
I was here. midehi2 are u here?
grin
Re: The Use And Abuse Of Tramadol. by sweetcocoa(f): 2:49pm On Mar 06, 2016
onatisi:

Ur questions get as e be oo. Abi ur iron sponges don dey miss for house
Lol. I no even get iron sponge but e be like say, somebody be lying. undecided

1 Like

Re: The Use And Abuse Of Tramadol. by onatisi(m): 2:50pm On Mar 06, 2016
This topic is a very serious issue ,and it should be given maximum attention .the ready availability of the drug to the underage and youth makes it a more dangerous drug than cocaine

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Use And Abuse Of Tramadol. by Nobody: 2:51pm On Mar 06, 2016
coollabman:
Tramadol is an opiod pain medication used to treat moderate to moderately severe pain. When taken as an immediate-release oral formulation, the onset of pain relief usually occurs within about an hour. Tramadol is a type of strong opiod that works on the nervous system and brain to reduce the feel of pain. There are many different forms, strengths and brands of tramadol. Some forms and brands start working quickly to ease the pain, while others release the tramadol they contain more slowly, over several hours, to provide a constant and more even pain control. These are called ”modified-release” and often have ‘XL’ ‘SR’ or ’24hr’ in front of the brand name.

Why is tramadol abused?

Apart from its pain relieving effects, tramadol has been discovered to give a feeling of euphoric high when taken in large quantity. When opiods like tramadol are mixed with alcohol, it increases the effects of the alcohol.
Toyosi Ogunjobi, a 19-year-old public secondary school student in Lagos, who is into the abuse of the drug told The Nation that he mixes tramadol with alcohol when he wants to engage in manual labour. He claims it allows him to work harder and longer but that if he takes the mixture without working, it weakens him.

Gabriel Oladoye, a 21 year-old undergraduate of the University of Agriculture, Abeokuta also admits to abusing tramadol. To him, tramadol serves as an aphrodisiac. He says he normally takes the drug few minutes before sex and it enables him last longer and perform better in bed.

Bode, a 27 year-old liquor seller says mixing tramadol with Bullet alcohol drink helps him last longer during intercourse, since he normally suffers from premature ejaculation. He shared an experience in which he engaged in intercourse all night with a commercial sex worker after taking tramadol with ‘Bullet’. He said they had marathon sex all night, but confessed that he had to visit the clinic during the day, when he began experiencing pains on his manhood. The doctor, after checking him up for infections, warned him to desist from such medications and marathon sex, as he was lucky not to have ruptured his tissues.

Effects of tramadol abuse

Although tramadol is an over-the-counter medication, its abuse can cause some undesirable effects similar to those of other opiates, such as dizziness, weakness, sleepiness, insomnia, headache, shaking, heartburn, panic attacks, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, constipation, itching, sweating and dry mouth.

According to Adekunle Adeseye of Ariset Medical Hospital, tramadol belongs to a family of analgesic and it is actually a synthetic opiod. He said it can lead to addiction like other opiods such as morphine, cocaine and the rest. Some of its other side-effects include light-headedness, serious vomiting and even sedation, as it is narcotic in nature.

Dr. Jude Okonkwo, a medical practitioner at Medicare Hospital Ota, added that overdosing on the drugs can make some people experience difficulty in breathing; and that once addicted to the drugs, abusers won’t be able to function well without the drug, as it has neurological side-effects.

Asked to confirm the claims that the drug has aphrodasic effects and also gives extra strength, Dr. Okonkwo said “Those claims could be true, as it is a narcotic. It heightens the senses, but its effects vary from persons to persons. Abusing the drug has more” negative effects than any perceived positive.
He advised that abusers-turned addicts should stop and youths who take it for recreation because of its euphoric effect should stop as well; as drugs should only be taken on doctor’s prescription.

When asked how the increase in tramadol abuse can be curbed, he advised that parents and guardians should tutor their wards more on the hazards of drug abuse. He also wants the government to place serious sanctions and restrictions on the use of the medication.

www.thenationonlineng.net/the-use-and-abuse-of-tramadol/
Re: The Use And Abuse Of Tramadol. by midehi2(f): 2:52pm On Mar 06, 2016
sameer1212:
Sir Figo05 and midehi I see una o. undecided
don't mind him sweetheart cheesy
Re: The Use And Abuse Of Tramadol. by oluremi59(m): 2:53pm On Mar 06, 2016
I thank God for my life.shocked
Re: The Use And Abuse Of Tramadol. by professore(m): 2:56pm On Mar 06, 2016
Difficulty breathing,and addicts may not be able to function well without the drug,these are terrible sides of abusing this drug
Re: The Use And Abuse Of Tramadol. by Nobody: 3:00pm On Mar 06, 2016
sameer1212:
Sir Figo05 and midehi I see una o. undecided

Bros are u here too?
Re: The Use And Abuse Of Tramadol. by chubhiee: 3:04pm On Mar 06, 2016
onatisi:
how can someone be smoking iron sponge "
I met rich kids druggie in kano! I thought I've seen it all till I caught mai guard sniffing and getting high on petrol.

They trusted me more and opened their secret stuffs to me. They experiment and mess around with all manner of drugs and alcohol. These kids were general's,Bishops, doctors, lawyers kids.

I remember a docs son went and got one drug called immunice cos I just treated malaria and lost appetite for food. menh!!! I eat like a monster and became too huge and lazy for my liking. K-Town was something else back then.

6 Likes

Re: The Use And Abuse Of Tramadol. by omolola15(m): 3:07pm On Mar 06, 2016
Montaque:
When I visited one north western state in Nigeria, I came across drug abusers as it concerns this tramadol.
Some even smoke iron sponge.
I just wondered how man has abused the good nature of creation. God will help us.
Happy Sunday

I beg how dem dey take smoke iron sponge? Hehe he
Re: The Use And Abuse Of Tramadol. by Painpill: 3:08pm On Mar 06, 2016
comradee1248:
I m right now an addict I've been looking for escape but can't find any, pls how did u succeed? for me leaving it just like that is not possible unless professionally treated

Lol you are addicted to tram? Of all drugs?? You need cain. Depends on the dose you've been on and how long you've been on it.

Don't even think of going "cold turkey" (stopping it abruptly) if you've been popping it steadily in high doses for atleast a month, opiate/opiod withdrawal is the craziest thing you can experience, you'll just run mad at night grin

Option 1: Reduce your doze steadily till you finally stop. Also the time of the day you pop them (if you've been doing them every morning, change to afternoons and smaller doses so your body would stop getting used to it)

Option 2: Stop taking them (this is if you're really determined to stop) then when the withdrawals start hitting you go buy valium or any benzo for pharmacy, pop am then sleep, it would help you get through the withdrawals as you'd be too fvcked up to notice. So long you don't swap your old addiction for the new one(Do this for a week max then continue the battle O.Y.O).

Finally it's all up to you to quit. Stay off cheap drugs

Btw why on earth are you even taking tramadol

7 Likes

Re: The Use And Abuse Of Tramadol. by kennyddonn(m): 3:08pm On Mar 06, 2016
Baroba:

It's probably the narcotic effect that made you sleepy, it's considered a controlled drug in United Kingdom, not something you get off the counter..
I do use it but it neva works for me....what cud be d prob
Re: The Use And Abuse Of Tramadol. by worksmart(m): 3:12pm On Mar 06, 2016
Irresponsible thread, seems to be promoting the abuse.

There are people on these forums that want to destroy Nigerians' lives and society.

Don't try it , if you do you will get addicted and then your life is over.

1 Like

Re: The Use And Abuse Of Tramadol. by onatisi(m): 3:12pm On Mar 06, 2016
chubhiee:

I met rich kids druggie in kano! I thought I've seen it all till I caught mai guard sniffing and getting high on petrol.

They trusted me more and opened their secret stuffs to me. They experiment and mess around with all manner of drugs and alcohol. These kids were general's,Bishops, doctors, lawyers kids.

I remember a docs son went and got one drug called immunice cos I just treated malaria and lost appetite for food. menh!!! I eat like a monster and became too huge and lazy for my liking. K-Town was something else back then.
I heard the north is worse when it comes to drug abuse . Can it be poverty or just illiteracy?but from ur story ,those involved are literates and financially okay. Which means poverty and illiteracy can be ruled out

1 Like

Re: The Use And Abuse Of Tramadol. by onatisi(m): 3:13pm On Mar 06, 2016
kennyddonn:
I do use it but it neva works for me....what cud be d prob
because God loves you

2 Likes

Re: The Use And Abuse Of Tramadol. by hpk(m): 3:14pm On Mar 06, 2016
opeoluwa20:
I want to own a rehab centre, in 8 years time because most youth by then would have become mara
let's be partners.

2 Likes

Re: The Use And Abuse Of Tramadol. by kennyddonn(m): 3:15pm On Mar 06, 2016
onatisi:
because God loves you
lolzzzzz glad to hear

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Use And Abuse Of Tramadol. by onatisi(m): 3:16pm On Mar 06, 2016
Painpill:

Lol you are addicted to tram? Of all drugs?? You need cain. Depends on the dose you've been on and how long you've been on it.

Don't even think of going "cold turkey" (stopping it abruptly) if you've been popping it steadily in high doses for atleast a month, opiate/opiod withdrawal is the craziest thing you can experience, you'll just run mad at night grin

Option 1: Reduce your doze steadily till you finally stop. Also the time of the day you pop them (if you've been doing them every morning, change to afternoons and smaller doses so your body would stop getting used to it)

Option 2: Stop taking them (this is if you're really determined to stop) then when the withdrawals start hitting you go buy valium or any benzo for pharmacy, pop am then sleep, it would help you get through the withdrawals as you'd be too fvcked up to notice. So long you don't swap your old addiction for the new one(Do this for a week max then continue the battle O.Y.O).

Finally it's all up to you to quit. Stay off cheap drugs

Btw why on earth are you even taking tramadol
All the options you gave will only cause more problems . You are simply telling the guy he is bleeped
Re: The Use And Abuse Of Tramadol. by chubhiee: 3:20pm On Mar 06, 2016
onatisi:

I heard the north is worse when it comes to drug abuse . Can it be poverty or just illiteracy?but from ur story ,those involved are literates and financially okay. Which means poverty and illiteracy can be ruled out
These were kids in covenant university Madonna and igbims. One was even top of his class and shared his secret recipe which entails taking his drugs and reading his books simultaneously.

2 Likes

Re: The Use And Abuse Of Tramadol. by onatisi(m): 3:24pm On Mar 06, 2016
chubhiee:

These were kids in covenant university Madonna and igbims. One was even top of his class and shared his secret recipe which entails taking his drugs and reading his books simultaneously.

No wonder ppl keeping beheading each other daily in Nigeria. Many ppl are already sick mentally ,I wont be surprised if the crime rate related to drugs increase 6 folds in the next 3 years

2 Likes

Re: The Use And Abuse Of Tramadol. by Irore: 3:31pm On Mar 06, 2016
IndianBwoy:
Here in the U.A.E it has become common usage among the youth.

Also this tablet called Lyrical

No wonder abokis use it a lot especially those engaged in excavations/digging and other laborious jobs.
Re: The Use And Abuse Of Tramadol. by chubhiee: 3:31pm On Mar 06, 2016
onatisi:

No wonder ppl keeping beheading each other daily in Nigeria. Many ppl are already sick mentally ,I wont be surprised if the crime rate related to drugs increase 6 folds in the next 3 years
It was I kano I got to know that those that carry out the killings are imported from the villages and given cheap drugs to get high before they are unleashed on visitors by their religious and political leaders.

Most of them were amongst the crew that almost lynched ese mother in emir Sanusi palace. That's how they use them to fight dirty. Sanusi knows this and would use same if you dare him.

4 Likes

Re: The Use And Abuse Of Tramadol. by Originalsly: 3:36pm On Mar 06, 2016
Topics like this need to be on FP. @topic. ..do you know or heard of anyone who wanted to be a drug addict? Every generation has at least one trending drug that leads to addiction and has serious health effects later in life. The more people can be educated about addiction and its consequences the less youths would think about even trying whatever drug is trending.I would hope that the FG make these drugs available by prescription only as it is in developed countries and run ads warning of the dangers of such drugs. All these pastors also can take a few minutes from their money grabbing pleads main message to steer their youths away from the path of addiction. Amen.

1 Like

Re: The Use And Abuse Of Tramadol. by xreal: 3:37pm On Mar 06, 2016
IndianBwoy:

E go worse for there, as una no see beer/alcohol drink.

1 Like

Re: The Use And Abuse Of Tramadol. by Irore: 3:38pm On Mar 06, 2016
[quote author=Mprepz post=43529412][/quote]

Lesson from Tramadol and other oral medications: If you have a child that dislikes taking tablets and pills when sick, pls don't force that child as the child could grow up hating any form of tab or tramadol. By the way, is Tramadol the same as Chinese capsule?
Re: The Use And Abuse Of Tramadol. by onatisi(m): 3:39pm On Mar 06, 2016
IndianBwoy:

That is why they keep crashing their expensive power bikes and killing themselves

2 Likes

Re: The Use And Abuse Of Tramadol. by onatisi(m): 3:40pm On Mar 06, 2016
Irore:

Lesson from Tramadol and other oral medications: If you have a child that dislikes taking tablets and pills when sick, pls don't force that child as the child could grow up hating any form of tab or tramadol. By the way, is Tramadol the same as Chinese capsule?
Which one be Chinese capsule again ? undecided
Re: The Use And Abuse Of Tramadol. by NairaMoneyng: 3:42pm On Mar 06, 2016
only God can save the youth of nowadays

1 Like

Re: The Use And Abuse Of Tramadol. by onatisi(m): 3:54pm On Mar 06, 2016
tetradollar:
To see the warning against the use of Tramadol and its risks enumerated by NAFDAC,
kindly follow this link: http://www.ozoneviews.com/2016/01/public-notice-health-risks-of-using.html
But the sale of this drug isn't regulated like the sale of valium and lexotan. Nafdac needs to be more proactive in dealing with issues like this .to be honest this is the first time I am hearing about this drug and I know many parents must have been seeing their children use this drug and only believing the child is using it to read, more enlightenment and public education is needed about the dangers of these cheap drugs and not just internet publications

2 Likes

Re: The Use And Abuse Of Tramadol. by Painpill: 4:07pm On Mar 06, 2016
onatisi:

All the options you gave will only cause more problems . You are simply telling the guy he is bleeped

Lol nah he isn't bleeped(yet), its all in the mind, if he wants to quit he'd quit. The options would help him, cos its not about wanting to stop(this is easy) but actually succeeding. If you stop and the withdrawal syndrome hits you madly from the running nose to the unbearable insomnia to the restless feet and many more, you'd just grab the closest pill and pop so you wouldn't have to go through all that and you're back to phase one. And the cycle continues....

That's just how it is with substance abuse actually, whichever drug it is. You either keep going, or you stop and hit the ground roughly once and for all.

2 Likes

Re: The Use And Abuse Of Tramadol. by blaxx: 4:09pm On Mar 06, 2016
DaBullIT:
Who cares about trams ? Try rEL
rephnol?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

338 New COVID-19 Cases, 122 Discharged And 6 Deaths On May 17 (1375 Tested) / To Gain Weight, What Medicine Can I Use? / Samsu Oil For Delayed Ejaculation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.