Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,250 members, 7,818,859 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:49 AM

Warning Lights On My Toyota Corolla 2008 Dashboard - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Warning Lights On My Toyota Corolla 2008 Dashboard (3424 Views)

5 Warning Lights You Should Never Ignore In Your Car! / Is It Illegal To Fit Extra Lights On Cars / A Comprehensive List Of Vehicle Warning Lights And Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Warning Lights On My Toyota Corolla 2008 Dashboard by akonfe7(m): 4:58pm On Mar 07, 2016
Hello,
My elder brother helped me buy a Nigeria use Toyota Corolla 08 a little over 3 weeks ago. I noticed warning lights on the dashboard indicating "Check Engine", Check ABS", "Check Brake" and "Check Airbag". But he said the dealer told him they tampered with the electricals that there is nothing to worry about. The Ac isn't working and he also said it just requires gas. On taking it for gas refill, we discovered that the compressor is bad. On account of the lie about the Ac, I decided to check the warning lights and the electrician I met , after doing a scan said the ABS module is bad and to replace it will cost about N115k, though he said I should still be using the car. readings I have done online suggest that I shouldn't take the warnings lightly. Attached is a picture of the dashboard.
I stay in Makurdi, is there any suggestions on how to deal with the warnings?
God bless you as you help a brother.

Re: Warning Lights On My Toyota Corolla 2008 Dashboard by fixmycar: 7:04pm On Mar 07, 2016
after doing a scan said the ABS module is bad and to replace it will cost about N115k, though he said I should still be using the car. readings I have done online suggest that I shouldn't take the warnings lightly.
The only way to deal with the warnings is to take it to a good mechanic/electrician, to carry out a scan/check. Since you have done that already, then go ahead with what he says, except you don't trust him.

1 Like

Re: Warning Lights On My Toyota Corolla 2008 Dashboard by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:12pm On Mar 07, 2016
sorry bro, you just got bleeped, always get a pro to look over a vehicle before paying. The abs is a known issue with corrola 2007-12 abs unit will set you back by 450k (brand new unit) I will personally prefer converting the a.c to the clutch type , it's more tolerant to abuse and rearly fails.

4 Likes

Re: Warning Lights On My Toyota Corolla 2008 Dashboard by Nobody: 9:26pm On Mar 07, 2016
Late model Toyota and Check Engine Light...

Generally emission-related issues, like bad O2 sensors, air fuel ratio sensors, EGR and MAF will not only trigger a CEL, they will also disable ABS, Traction Control and VSR (if fitted). So ABS and VSC warning lights will be illuminated, in addition to the regular CEL. A fuel injector out of spec in D4-D models will also trigger the same warnings.

I am willing to bet your "mechanic" is either lying to you, or wrongly assumes you have an ABS fault. Replacing your ABS module will NOT resolve your issues. Since you had your car scanned, I would post the results here. You'll be surprised how much less you have to spend to get things straightened out.

In the meantime, ditch that sap of a mechanic of yours, he's an idíot.

1 Like

Re: Warning Lights On My Toyota Corolla 2008 Dashboard by chukel(m): 7:43am On Mar 08, 2016
Siena:
Late model Toyota and Check Engine Light...

Generally emission-related issues, like bad O2 sensors, air fuel ratio sensors, EGR and MAF will not only trigger a CEL, they will also disable ABS, Traction Control and VSR (if fitted). So ABS and VSC warning lights will be illuminated, in addition to the regular CEL. A fuel injector out of spec in D4-D models will also trigger the same warnings.

I am willing to bet your "mechanic" is either lying to you, or wrongly assumes you have an ABS fault. Replacing your ABS module will NOT resolve your issues. Since you had your car scanned, I would post the results here. You'll be surprised how much less you have to spend to get things straightened out.

In the meantime, ditch that sap of a mechanic of yours, he's an idíot.
siena u have done very well. I love the words of encouragement. I have also learnt from ur post. Does it mean abs module rarely fails? What does one expect with a failed abs.
Re: Warning Lights On My Toyota Corolla 2008 Dashboard by Nobody: 12:28pm On Mar 08, 2016
chukel:
siena u have done very well. I love the words of encouragement. I have also learnt from ur post. Does it mean abs module rarely fails? What does one expect with a failed abs.

With a failed ABS module, the brakes will revert to conventional brakes, and the ABS (and VSC / TCS if fitted) warning lamps will be illuminated. An ABS fault however will NOT trigger a CEL
Re: Warning Lights On My Toyota Corolla 2008 Dashboard by Inception(m): 3:24pm On Mar 08, 2016
GAZZUZZ:
sorry bro, you just got bleeped, always get a pro to look over a vehicle before paying. The abs is a known issue with corrola 2007-12 abs unit will set you back by 450k (brand new unit) I [b]will personally prefer converting the a.c to the clutch type [/b][b][/b], it's more tolerant to abuse and rearly fails.

i think say you go preach against this bawse

grin

Any way that would still be my logical choice too. the compressor ( also found in the 2AZ-FE engine variants of the 2007-11 Camry) does not come with a magnetic clutch, but rather a solenoid which regulates refrigerant flow at the suction end of the compressor, therefore practically reducing 'engagement shocks' that a conventional (magnetic clutch) one would do and in effect reduce load on the engine which in turn should improve drivability and fuel economy.

The problem with this kind of compressor is that it works continuously, (whether the ac is on or not) and once there is a leakage of refrigerant ,
it will surely fail. Also to note is the solenoid in which when it goes bad , na the same story of kaput be that.

Replacing the bad one with a conventional one would be ok, as a relay would be incorporated to switch on and switch off the compressor in response to the duty cycle. But i would advise that the cooling fan system be left as it is(i.e factory setting), and the thermostat be replaced if it has been removed already.

1 Like

Re: Warning Lights On My Toyota Corolla 2008 Dashboard by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:44pm On Mar 08, 2016
Inception:

i think say you go preach against this bawse

grin

Any way that would still be my logical choice too. the compressor ( also found in the 2AZ-FE engine variants of the 2007-11 Camry) does not come with a magnetic clutch, but rather a solenoid which regulates refrigerant flow at the suction end of the compressor, therefore practically reducing 'engagement shocks' that a conventional (magnetic clutch) one would do and in effect reduce load on the engine which in turn should improve drivability and fuel economy.

The problem with this kind of compressor is that it works continuously, (whether the ac is on or not) and once there is a leakage of refrigerant ,
it will surely fail. Also to note is the solenoid in which when it goes bad , na the same story of kaput be that.

Replacing the bad one with a conventional one would be ok, as a relay would be incorporated to switch on and switch off the compressor in response to the duty cycle. But i would advise that the cooling fan system be left as it is(i.e factory setting), and the thermostat be replaced if it has been removed already.

I learned the hard way, after 2 compressors 1 condenser I went all kazeemy on the car. Sometimes you incur loss to save face.
Re: Warning Lights On My Toyota Corolla 2008 Dashboard by Inception(m): 3:49pm On Mar 08, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

I learned the hard way, after 2 compressors 1 condenser I went all kazeemy on the car. Sometimes you incur loss to save face.

grin
Re: Warning Lights On My Toyota Corolla 2008 Dashboard by chukel(m): 10:07pm On Mar 08, 2016
Siena:

With a failed ABS module, the brakes will revert to conventional brakes, and the ABS (and VSC / TCS if fitted) warning lamps will be illuminated. An ABS fault however will NOT trigger a CEL
OK. Thanks boss.
Re: Warning Lights On My Toyota Corolla 2008 Dashboard by akonfe7(m): 11:30am On Mar 09, 2016
Thanks for all the advice. I have, quite frankly, learnt alot as this was my first experience with cars. The problem now is getting a reliable mechanic in Makurdi that will help with all the suggestions?
Does anybody know someone reliable around?

(1) (Reply)

Sprayed Car: Does It Mean The Car Is Bad? / Between Mercedes C180 And Toyota Camry 1999(tiny And Big Light) / Selling A Registered Car With New Number Plate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.