Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,832 members, 7,810,201 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:31 PM

The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists (13647 Views)

New Atheists Are Not Intellectually Bright, Philosophers Agree / Perish For Reasons Of REASON? No! No No! Not On Your Life. / The New Atheists Are Worse Than You Think (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by asalimpo(m): 10:46am On Mar 10, 2016
koonbey:

But it is o record; in the bible nonetheless, that the Christian God is in the practice of ordering mass murder, infanticide and a whole lot of atrocities. I will not begin to post them here because I believe you should already know, but if you want, I can post a link to an article that discusses that extensively.
i've never seen God order mass murder for no reason. Was He off His rockers,miffed or what? I do know He is infinitely patient and before the era of grace, He , judged sin as it occured.

It's interesting that you folks know these verses but have no clue or choose to be blind as to why God did what He did.
Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by asalimpo(m): 10:54am On Mar 10, 2016
ValentineMary:

I agree power puff girls is a cartoon character but Elijah flying chariot is a myth and should be treated as such. Unless u want to say it is a fact, then u would provide proof.

As for ur 2nd paragraph, you obviously can't analyse things properly. Read through post over and over again before u comment.

And can u tell me how Noah communicated with the Brazilians or Aztec of the flood? Or did God just punish these innocent people because of their distance from Noah considering the fact that nobody knew about the "new world" until the 15th century. Oh! I know, God has his reasons

The bible is silent about irrelevant details. How many people were they in Noah's time? It doesnt say.
But it clearly states that every one had an opportunity to be saved.
The minute details can be conjectured but that's it.
The absence of it doesnt invalidate the authority of the scriptures.
Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by asalimpo(m): 11:04am On Mar 10, 2016
Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by asalimpo(m): 11:06am On Mar 10, 2016
koonbey:

By what mandate exactly can you decide on whether those actions were done in ignorance and not following the bible? Remember that those people were the ones who brought the religion to you in the first place.

You have not read the Quran, yet you are willing to make broad statements about what is or isn't in it. Brilliant.

The most common defence of Christians to the several atrocities in the bible is 'context', which someone used earlier, comparing Abraham's attempted murder with a policeman shooting a thief. Yet, you are not willing to understand the context surrounding the Quran's own atrocities. Again, Brilliant.
Your first paragraph was unnecessary because i had explained that point previously.

As for 'atrocities' , list them because those are your subjective judgements on a broad range of issues. Your judgements that don't hold up under objective scrutiny.

As for the koran, the message is explicit. I dont need to harp on it.
Do your research.
Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by asalimpo(m): 11:13am On Mar 10, 2016
koonbey:

I wonder how you have managed to equate
hmm... Did I equate them?

"A policeman shooting a man and
a brother killing another ARE THEY THE SAME" (that sounds like an equation to you?)

Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by asalimpo(m): 11:13am On Mar 10, 2016
koonbey:

I wonder how you have managed to equate
hmm... Did I equate them?
I said something like:
"A policeman shooting a man and
a brother killing another ARE THEY THE SAME" (that sounds like an equation to you?)

Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by vooks: 7:01pm On Mar 10, 2016
asalimpo:

please, let me know what makes it peurile.

The analogy clearly, distinguish two kinds of similar acts ,taking of a life, by giving some context.

When ur ilks want to put down the bible,you intentionally remove the contexts to make the deed appear as gross as possible. All while tryna appear objective.

Very true, they ignore context when it suits them and play dumb when it paints their opponents in a negative light.
Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by ValentineMary(m): 11:00pm On Mar 10, 2016
asalimpo:

The bible is silent about irrelevant details. How many people were they in Noah's time? It doesnt say.
But it clearly states that every one had an opportunity to be saved.
The minute details can be conjectured but that's it.
The absence of it doesnt invalidate the authority of the scriptures.
Actually it does. Did God communicate with the people of Brazil, Panama, Australia, etc and told them to worship him which they refused or did some deranged Jews invent a God and suddenly wants to world to know about it else they would drown?
What of little Jimmy sitting with his dad in the fire place to keep warm somewhere in Canada, did he deserve to die simply because he has never heard of a Jewish God If all these were the work of a God, then Bleep him.

1 Like

Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by Anas09: 11:55pm On Mar 10, 2016
I have a about 30something collection of Ravi's debates with atheists. John Lenox too. i which i know to post them here.
Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by asalimpo(m): 12:12am On Mar 11, 2016
ValentineMary:

Actually it does. Did God communicate with the people of Brazil, Panama, Australia, etc and told them to worship him which they refused or did some deranged Jews invent a God and suddenly wants to world to know about it else they would drown?
What of little Jimmy sitting with his dad in the fire place to keep warm somewhere in Canada, did he deserve to die simply because he has never heard of a Jewish God If all these were the work of a God, then Bleep him.
Was there panama and brazil in Noah's time?

What of lil Jimmy?
What of the thousands of Isrealites that got slaughtered when Achan sinned?
If Jimmy got drowned then He was a casualty of his parents sin.
With sin they are casualties.

Oh, and while pitying lil Jimmy, what stopped Jimmy's parent from taking the salvation offered - free entry into the ark, them and their families?

And while you are at it - did you read the verse that said the imaginations of mans heart were evil CONTINUALLY?
childhood may have been a time for innocence but they grew up into sinful evil adults.
God had seen the trend repeatedly.
So if He in His sovereignty decided to wipe the entire planet and start again , He was justified.
Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by ValentineMary(m): 6:50am On Mar 11, 2016
asalimpo:

Was there panama and brazil in Noah's time?

What of lil Jimmy?
What of the thousands of Isrealites that got slaughtered when Achan sinned?

Oh, and while pitying lil Jimmy, what stopped Jimmy's parent from taking the salvation offered - free entry into the ark, them and their families?

And while you are at it - did you read the verse that said the imaginations of mans heart were evil CONTINUALLY?
childhood may have been a time for innocence but they grew up into sinful evil adults.
God had seen the trend repeatedly.
So if He in His sovereignty decided to wipe the entire planet and start again , He was justified.

Are u kidding me? Of course nations like Panama and Brazil existed at that time. Though they were called different names then. You obviously don't know that Europeans knew of no other nations apart from Europe, some part of Asia and some part of Africa until Ferdinand Magallen famous voyage. So, to the people of Isreal it those places were unexisting while to an all knowing God, how did he get to tell those nations of his glory considering the fact that those nations never heard of Yahweh before the Europeans came around. Or did God just pick a small set of Isreslites and punished the rest of the world for not being in that small set

Listen to urself. Religion obviously kills the human conscience. Why should little Jimmy suffer for what he knows nothing about? if Yahweh could do such thing is he still all loving

Face it man most of the bible stories are myth and should be treated as such.

1 Like

Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by McSterling(m): 7:12am On Mar 11, 2016
vooks:

Thank you. Please share your thoughts on the same as soon as you are done.
Done. Will share my thoughts later.
Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by Oluwaseytiano(m): 7:29am On Mar 11, 2016
asalimpo:

What of lil Jimmy?

look at what religion has done to you
Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by asalimpo(m): 8:18am On Mar 11, 2016
ValentineMary:

Are u kidding me? Of course nations like Panama and Brazil existed at that time. Though they were called different names then. You obviously don't know that Europeans knew of no other nations apart from Europe, some part of Asia and some part of Africa until Ferdinand Magallen famous voyage. So, to the people of Isreal it those places were unexisting while to an all knowing God, how did he get to tell those nations of his glory considering the fact that those nations never heard of Yahweh before the Europeans came around. Or did God just pick a small set of Isreslites and punished the rest of the world for not being in that small set

Listen to urself. Religion obviously kills the human conscience. Why should little Jimmy suffer for what he knows nothing about? if Yahweh could do such thing is he still all loving

the earth was young and still spreading. Bible Historians believe Noah built the ark in 120 years.
You are talking of a very looooong time for any one to get 'saved'. Just like today, 2000+ years after Jesus Christ's ressurection, many people have had the opportunity to be saved but have rejected it. Many scoff ,like they scoffed at Noah. History is repeating itself.
The parents could have avoided tragedy, by simply entering the ark. Even if they were doubting, they couldve still gotten in if only to laff at Noah's 'hallucination's' in the end. Construction finished. The saw Noah and his family move in, but mocked.
Then the rains came...
Now, you talking of lil' jimmy.
You trying to paint God as unfair- dream on.

When there's sin,there's death. When there's judgement,there are casualties.
Get used to it.

This is the unsavoury truth.
Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by asalimpo(m): 8:20am On Mar 11, 2016
Oluwaseytiano:
look at what religion has done to you

your sense of justice/morality is skewed.
Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by ValentineMary(m): 8:51am On Mar 11, 2016
asalimpo:

the earth was young and still spreading. Bible Historians believe Noah built the ark in 120 years.
You are talking of a very looooong time for any one to get 'saved'. Just like today, 2000+ years after Jesus Christ's ressurection, many people have had the opportunity to be saved but have rejected it. Many scoff ,like they scoffed at Noah. History is repeating itself.
The parents could have avoided tragedy, by simply entering the ark. Even if they were doubting, they couldve still gotten in if only to laff at Noah's 'hallucination's' in the end. Construction finished. The saw Noah and his family move in, but mocked.
Then the rains came...
Now, you talking of lil' jimmy.
You trying to paint God as unfair- dream on.

When there's sin,there's death. When there's judgement,there are casualties.
Get used to it.

This is the unsavoury truth.
Seriously blind faith is a mockery to human intellect. It is quite shameful that someone like u that believes these things is regarded as tomorrow leader. Then I wonder what tomorrow holds for us.

1 Like

Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by asalimpo(m): 9:39am On Mar 11, 2016
ValentineMary:

Seriously blind faith is a mockery to human intellect. It is quite shameful that someone like u that believes these things is regarded as tomorrow leader. Then I wonder what tomorrow holds for us.

You are having a hard time coming to terms with the truth.
God is'nt looking for popularity votes.
But while you are being judgemental and assuming you know better, why dont you keep your analyses balanced?
You emphasis the consequence of judgement-babies dying in the flood
but ignore the cause of judgement- man's sins and debauchery.
You ignore God's avenue for escape- the ark
You ignore God's patience and long suffering-
the ark took a century+ to build.
All the while,unsaved man was being preached to.

Keep your analyses balanced, dont just pick and emphasize one aspect only.
Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by orisa37: 10:33am On Mar 11, 2016
I'm a Negro and I have read this and can only jump to the conclusion that I'm not alone in this Universe. So what is the problem, that there is no end to reasoning? In the beginning was The Word, The Word was with God in the beginning and The Word was God, The Supreme Spirit that Atheists are ignorant about. The word atheist is His which He threw out at the Tower of Babel, from where all Humans were separated by language, culture,tongues and characters and into bad and good. Having read this, some one will still say that my God is wicked. That God is the Judge of the wicked and the good.

1 Like

Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by orisa37: 10:45am On Mar 11, 2016
Atheists don't have Faith. They disbelieve every thing including what they eat or drink. They are just insane fools and scraps of human species.

1 Like

Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by Oluwaseytiano(m): 11:01am On Mar 11, 2016
asalimpo:

your sense of justice/morality is skewed.
really? how?
Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by Oluwaseytiano(m): 11:15am On Mar 11, 2016
orisa37:
I'm a Negro and I have read this and can only jump to the conclusion that I'm not alone in this Universe. So what is the problem, that there is no end to reasoning? In the beginning was The Word, The Word was with God in the beginning and The Word was God, The Supreme Spirit that Atheists are ignorant about. The word atheist is His which He threw out at the Tower of Babel, from where all Humans were separated by language, culture,tongues and characters and into bad and good. Having read this, some one will still say that my God is wicked. That God is the Judge of the wicked and the good.
In the beginning. there was chaos. And out of the chaos came the mother earth Gaia. She reached to the sky god Uranus and together, they had children- Cyclops, giants and Titans. One of these Titans name Prometheus was commissioned by Zeus, the king of the gods to create humans. This is the short version of the creation storyline.
Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by vooks: 11:28am On Mar 11, 2016
ValentineMary:

Thought I told you intelligence is not recycling half-baked semi-logic that predates your great grandparents by centuries. Try and inject some creativity
Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by waice6571: 11:28am On Mar 11, 2016
Oluwaseytiano:
Yeah. I think if Christians were to sit down and look at the bible, they would see its flaws and laugh at its stories. Nimrod was building a tower and God was afraid it would reach heaven so he changed their language. I wonder y he didn't do the same when the pyramids were built or y he hasn't destroyed the satellites orbiting the earth. A God as merciful has the bible puts it ordering and supporting countless genocide. In the beginning man made religion. It is flawed, a fraud. I believe the world as we know it was created by a supreme being(s), whoever He is, i do not know. BT he is not the fairy tale character from your Bible

What is he really saying?
The atheist are funny slowpoke.
They claim always there is no God but they won't leave Him out of their miserable life .
Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by vooks: 11:30am On Mar 11, 2016
Anas09:
I have a about 30something collection of Ravi's debates with atheists. John Lenox too. i which i know to post them here.
Thank you Anas09
In what format are they?
DVD,MP3 ?
Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by vooks: 11:31am On Mar 11, 2016
Once again, here is the book
http://www.fairladyz32.com/downloads/christian/books/Ravi%20Zacharias/Ravi%20Zacharias%20-The%20End%20of%20Reason.pdf

Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by Oluwaseytiano(m): 11:45am On Mar 11, 2016
waice6571:

What is he really saying?
The atheist are funny slowpoke.
They claim always there is no God but they won't leave Him out of their miserable life .
Atheist are not the one running to the pastor after an headache
Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by vooks: 11:47am On Mar 11, 2016
Oluwaseytiano:
Atheist are not the one running to the pastor after an headache
How is your Friday coming?
Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by Oluwaseytiano(m): 11:50am On Mar 11, 2016
vooks:
How is your Friday coming?
quite good. urs?
Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by vooks: 11:51am On Mar 11, 2016
Unlike Harris, Ravi is willing to take the claims of atheism to their logical conclusions. In fact, Ra vi’s own despair from atheism once brought him to the brink of personal destruction. Thus he is able to write not merely as a dispassionate observer, but rather as an impassioned champion of the spiritual truth that rescued him from a life of hopelessness and purposelessness.
Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by ValentineMary(m): 12:05pm On Mar 11, 2016
vooks:

Thought I told you intelligence is not recycling half-baked semi-logic that predates your great grandparents by centuries. Try and inject some creativity
As I said earlier, if u can't give a solid reply, pls keep moving.
Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by vooks: 12:08pm On Mar 11, 2016
ValentineMary:

As I said earlier, if u can't give a solid reply, pls keep moving.
Stick to the claims of the book...but wait; the book needs some minimal intelligence to grasp. So I understand the endless sideshows
Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by ValentineMary(m): 12:12pm On Mar 11, 2016
vooks:

Stick to the claims of the book...but wait; the book needs some minimal intelligence to grasp. So I understand the endless sideshows
I used to think u put up better arguments than this. I am disappointed.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Daddy Freeze: "First Fruit Is Not An Act Of Faith, It's An Act Of Fraud" / Nigerian Pilgrims Abscond In Israel / The Mystery Of Sins And Forgiveness

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.