Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,758 members, 7,824,180 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:10 AM

The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists (13725 Views)

New Atheists Are Not Intellectually Bright, Philosophers Agree / Perish For Reasons Of REASON? No! No No! Not On Your Life. / The New Atheists Are Worse Than You Think (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by vooks: 10:05pm On Mar 11, 2016
jayriginal:

Omo the way they were hyping the book, you'd think it was Ghost written by Alvin Platinga or CS Lewis.

I had to do a quick check before committing my time.

I wonder what they expect would happen. Perhaps the reader would experience an epiphany. Lol.

For someone who is super time-sensitive, you have spent far too much time here grin
Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by jayriginal: 10:07pm On Mar 11, 2016
vooks:

For someone who is super time-sensitive, you have spent far too much time here grin

MY TIME.
Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by vooks: 10:09pm On Mar 11, 2016
jayriginal:

MY TIME.
I was hoping for more intelligent excuses for skipping Ravi
Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by Oluwaseytiano(m): 10:10pm On Mar 11, 2016
vooks:

You have no bundles to download the book, so I'm not sure what you missed by hanging around
i have enough bundle to watch Better Call Saul in high def with my phone. I may not be rich as you mr luthor BT am not a beggar
Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by vooks: 10:12pm On Mar 11, 2016
Oluwaseytiano:
i have enough bundle to watch Better Call Saul in high def with my phone. I may not be rich as you mr luthor BT am not a beggar

You are lightyears behind Walter White antics but then again...
Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by jayriginal: 10:14pm On Mar 11, 2016
vooks:

I was hoping for more intelligent excuses for skipping Ravi

When you quit trolling.

1 Like

Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by Oluwaseytiano(m): 10:14pm On Mar 11, 2016
vooks:

You are lightyears behind Walter White antics but then again...
Whatever man. Did you expect me to go gaagaa over such poor write up? Av read better books
Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by vooks: 10:17pm On Mar 11, 2016
Oluwaseytiano:
Whatever man. Did you expect me to go gaagaa over such poor write up? Av read better books

'Poor write up' yet you've never read past the excerpts I'm graciously feeding you grin grin

Negroes are the funniest of all primates

Here is the book that scares them
http://www.fairladyz32.com/downloads/christian/books/Ravi%20Zacharias/Ravi%20Zacharias%20-The%20End%20of%20Reason.pdf

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by Oluwaseytiano(m): 10:19pm On Mar 11, 2016
vooks:

'Poor write up' yet you've never read past the excerpts I'm graciously feeding you grin grin

Negroes are the funniest of all primates

Here is the book that scares them
http://www.fairladyz32.com/downloads/christian/books/Ravi%20Zacharias/Ravi%20Zacharias%20-The%20End%20of%20Reason.pdf
You really are a troll.

1 Like

Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by vooks: 10:20pm On Mar 11, 2016
jayriginal:

When you quit trolling.
That's a better excuse. Keep them coming.

In the meantime,

After three decades of covering every conti- nent and delivering scores of university lectures, I have seen that this sense of alienation and mean- inglessness is the principal malady of young minds. Academic degree after degree has not removed the haunting specter of the pointlessness of existence in a random universe. This deep malady of the soul will not be cured by writings such as Harris’s. The momentary euphoria that may initially accompany a proclamation of liberation soon fades, and one finds oneself in the vise-like grip of despair in a life without ultimate purpose. A naturalistic frame- work offers no remedy for the sense of suffocation that ensues.

I am writing The End of Reason to tell young men and women—all who ask the hard questions about the meaning of life—that atheism is bank- rupt for answers. The emperor has no clothes, and through his verbal magic Harris is trying hard to cover him up
Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by vooks: 10:22pm On Mar 11, 2016
Oluwaseytiano:
You really are a troll.
Young man, you just learnt a new vocabulary 'troll'?

I'm also learning, I just learnt that Negro 'free thinkers' are cowards
Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by Oluwaseytiano(m): 10:28pm On Mar 11, 2016
vooks:

Young man, you just learnt a new vocabulary 'troll'?

I'm also learning, I just learnt that Negro 'free thinkers' are cowards
I know what you are doing? People keep commenting, the thread stays on first page and more awareness for your book. But smart people will see the book for what it really is- a waste of time. See you Negro on another thread.

1 Like

Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by vooks: 10:30pm On Mar 11, 2016
Oluwaseytiano:
I know what you are doing? People keep commenting, the thread stays on first page and more awareness for your book. But smart people will see the book for what it really is- a waste of time. See you Negro on another thread.

Genius, you discovered this al by yourself?

Smart people read and then critique. Lower primates follow their primal fears into deeper ignorance

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by analice107: 1:01am On Mar 12, 2016
Oluwaseytiano:
And yet you won't read it. People will have to first read it before they can see it for what it is. Am almost done reading it. Most of what he wrote there I have seen and listened on audio-visual.

1 Like

Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by McSterling(m): 5:38am On Mar 12, 2016
vooks:

This is an incredibly ridiculous excuse for shunning Ravi.
He s quite clear that is hypothetical on the prologue. Then am pleasantly surprised that you know the contents of his book enough to critique it yet you never went beyond the prologue....

Did you get this far?
But why do I begin to address a work as serious- minded as that of Harris with an imaginary scene like the one above? Because realities that are far from imaginary are enveloped in this story, and I wonder what Harris would say to those possibilities.

He may argue that the grief his book may cause families such as this one is justified and even nec- essary sometimes if the young student in the story and others like him are going to stop believing and living a lie. Does this sound familiar? He may well justify any amount of grief to any number of people because of an insistence that the value of his “truth” is greater than the destruction of a family. But to do so raises a huge question, doesn’t it? If in the microcosm of this one little episode Harris were to justify the devastation he has caused for the sake of what he sees as the truth, why does he deny God the same justification for allowing suffering in all of the intricacies and possibilities of a lifetime?
Harris isn't omniscient and omnipotent now, is he? If he had those qualities, he sure would obviate the need for such "devastation" and wouldn't need to justify anything. But your god, he has these qualities but still needs people like Ravi to compare him with another human like Harris, in order to justify his misdeeds. Like l hinted before, this fictional story betrays Ravi's true feelings, what he'd love to see everywhere where someone became an atheist. I actually thought this book would contain some new argument I had never seen before in defense of god. That's why I left the serious books I was reading to look at it. But disappointedly, it contains the same trite and flawed arguments that have been refuted time and time again by atheists. The unique thing with this author however, is how he often appeals to emotions in order to blackmail his readers. And this guy seems to have personal issues with Harris. He seems intimidated by the man and his influence. I'd like to see the two have a one on one debate.

For the nonbelievers here who haven't read the book, you might just want to take a peek. It's an easy read actually, I'll give it that, but it lacks substance and is rife with trite assumptions and will leave you shaking your head several times. I don't regret reading it though. Coincidentally, a friend tried introducing me to Ravi yesterday, but thanks to vooks, I'd already met him.

1 Like

Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by McSterling(m): 5:42am On Mar 12, 2016
jayriginal:

Omo the way they were hyping the book, you'd think it was Ghost written by Alvin Platinga or CS Lewis.

I had to do a quick check before committing my time.

I wonder what they expect would happen. Perhaps the reader would experience an epiphany. Lol.
Bros, I tire o.

1 Like

Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by naijapips02: 5:49am On Mar 12, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Close minded ?

I believe in the immaterial realm and you have refused to accept its existence obdurately and I am the close - minded one ? cheesy

Why are you so irrational ?

stop being slow. can you prove that this realm exists? why would you expect me to believe in a story with no proof?

That is the question my friend. stop beating around sambisa forest.

1 Like

Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by naijapips02: 5:51am On Mar 12, 2016
asalimpo:

You really have no argument.
Powerpuff girls is kid entertainment, flying chariots is from Christian scriptures,the Bible.The authoritative source.

Killing in which dispensation and under what context?
You are deliberately mixing different contexts together to make a false point.
A police man shooting a thief, and a brother killing a stranger ,
are they the same ? Is the policeman now a murderer?
Should the court acquit the brother because the police kill men too?

You failed to mention that God gave man time to repent but man refused. You don't see that.
You don't see God making a way for sinful man to escape judgement by getting into the ark b4 it was too late or to repent and turn from his evil ways.
You don't see that man in Noah's time, Sodom and gomorrah , canaan reaped God's judgement?

Get your arguments aligned and well-balanced before firing.

what makes the Bible authoritative? Has any statement there be conventionally proven to be an exact scientific truth?

1 Like

Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by naijapips02: 5:53am On Mar 12, 2016
vooks:

Then don't blame us for ignoring you.
Again this is how your post looks on my 9.7' iPad Air. Imagine how much worse it looks on smaller screens!
I know you are obtuse but this is common sense. Take it or leave it wink

You must be a BLW member. That's How empty y'all sound.
Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by Oluwaseytiano(m): 6:19am On Mar 12, 2016
analice107:

And yet you won't read it. People will have to first read it before they can see it for what it is. Am almost done reading it. Most of what he wrote there I have seen and listened on audio-visual.
and what makes you think I haven't read it?
Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:32am On Mar 12, 2016
naijapips02:

stop being slow. can you prove that this realm exists? why would you expect me to believe in a story with no proof?

That is the question my friend. stop beating around sambisa forest.

Look carefully , I have always presented my evidence for the supernatural in the past and I did so on this very thread's first page(https://www.nairaland.com/2980239/atheists-test) - this they have blatantly denied . So I now changed the argument which is very logical . If you naijapips02 , can give me a straight answer with irrefutable proof then , I'm the deluded one .

Can you prove the universe needs no creator . If you are going to tell me stories or respond in a circumlocutory manner like they have done unashamedly , dont bother to reply
Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by naijapips02: 8:02am On Mar 12, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Look carefully , I have always presented my evidence for the supernatural in the past and I did so on this very thread's first page(https://www.nairaland.com/2980239/atheists-test) - this they have blatantly denied . So I now changed the argument which is very logical . If you naijapips02 , can give me a straight answer with irrefutable proof then , I'm the deluded one .

Can you prove the universe needs no creator . If you are going to tell me stories or respond in a circumlocutory manner like they have done unashamedly , dont bother to reply

you sir, are the one alluding that the universe was created. Can you provide proof to back this claim? so because the banana is shaped so, then it was designed? what happens to pickle pear, soursop, lime, coconut? were those designed too? what item in nature is my Casio watch modelled after?
Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by asalimpo(m): 8:28am On Mar 12, 2016
naijapips02:

what makes the Bible authoritative? Has any statement there be conventionally proven to be an exact scientific truth?
do your research then come back and report to us your findings.
Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by vooks: 8:45am On Mar 12, 2016
naijapips02:

Net you are funny,
Me, an Oyaks sycophant? Over my cremated remains.

This Neanderthal need to apply what he learnt in school ( if at all he went to any). Punctuation is basic
Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by vooks: 8:47am On Mar 12, 2016
McSterling:
Harris isn't omniscient and omnipotent now, is he? If he had those qualities, he sure would obviate the need for such "devastation" and wouldn't need to justify anything. But your god, he has these qualities but still needs people like Ravi to compare him with another human like Harris, in order to justify his misdeeds. Like l hinted before, this fictional story betrays Ravi's true feelings, what he'd love to see everywhere where someone became an atheist. I actually thought this book would contain some new argument I had never seen before in defense of god. That's why I left the serious books I was reading to look at it. But disappointedly, it contains the same trite and flawed arguments that have been refuted time and time again by atheists. The unique thing with this author however, is how he often appeals to emotions in order to blackmail his readers. And this guy seems to have personal issues with Harris. He seems intimidated by the man and his influence. I'd like to see the two have a one on one debate.

For the nonbelievers here who haven't read the book, you might just want to take a peek. It's an easy read actually, I'll give it that, but it lacks substance and is rife with trite assumptions and will leave you shaking your head several times. I don't regret reading it though. Coincidentally, a friend tried introducing me to Ravi yesterday, but thanks to vooks, I'd already met him.

We can all share books we wish others read. It is patently cowardly to invent all asinine excuses for avoiding Ravi
Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by Oluwaseytiano(m): 9:29am On Mar 12, 2016
vooks:

Net you are funny,
Me, an Oyaks sycophant? Over my cremated remains.

This Neanderthal need to apply what he learnt in school ( if at all he went to any). Punctuation is basic
Culo de rata
Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by vooks: 11:07am On Mar 12, 2016
Oluwaseytiano:
Culo de rata
Negro, stop stalking me
Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by vooks: 5:30pm On Mar 12, 2016
More excerpts

Let me take this a little further. Donald Page of Princeton’s Institute for Advanced Science has calculated the odds against our universe ran- domly taking a form suitable for life as one out of 10,000,000,000^124— a number that exceeds all imagination.12 Astronomers Fred Hoyle and N. C. Wickramasinghe found that the odds of the random formation of a single enzyme from amino acids any- where on our planet’s surface are one in 1020. Fur- thermore, they observe, “The trouble is that there are about two thousand enzymes and the chance of obtaining them all in a random trial is only one part in (10^20)^20,000 = 10^40,,000, an outrageously small prob- ability that could not be faced even if the whole universeconsistedoforganicsoup.”13 And this is just one step in the formation of life. Nothing has yet been said about DNA and where it came from, or of the transcription of DNA to RNA, which scien- tists admit cannot even be numerically computed. Nor has anything been said of mitosis or meiosis. One would have to conclude that the chance of the random ordering of organic molecules is not essen- tially different from a big fat zero. Perhaps that’s why they call it a singularity, because it is without definition or empirical explanation.
Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by analice107: 8:23pm On Mar 12, 2016
naijapips02:

He is not.
Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by analice107: 8:23pm On Mar 12, 2016
Oluwaseytiano:
and what makes you think I haven't read it?
Your responds
Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by vooks: 10:19am On Mar 13, 2016
analice107:

Your responds
True. Oluwaseytiano never went beyond the cover. He is scared
Re: The End Of Reason:A Response To The New Atheists by Oluwaseytiano(m): 11:40am On Mar 13, 2016
vooks:
True. Oluwaseytiano never went beyond the cover. He is scared
HaHaHa

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Not Attending Church Every Sunday. Is It Such A Big Sin? / The False Doctrine Of Eternal Torment And Judgement After Death(sleep) / In Genesis 1: 26, God Was Talking To Someone, Do You Know The Person ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.