Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,136 members, 7,814,975 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:15 AM

Accountant Susan Asakpa Who Drives A Cab In Abuja Tells Her Touching Story - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Accountant Susan Asakpa Who Drives A Cab In Abuja Tells Her Touching Story (30921 Views)

Married Woman Who Drives GUO Luxurious Bus From Lagos To Ghana (Photos) / Woman Who Happily Drives A Dangote Truck In The North. Photos / Rosemary Amposah, A Female Welder, Tells Her Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Accountant Susan Asakpa Who Drives A Cab In Abuja Tells Her Touching Story by GurlFriend: 7:16am On Mar 09, 2016
Susan Aghogho Asakpa went viral yesterday after her girlfriend shared her pictures on Facebook to celebrate the International Women's Day and revealed she was a graduate accountant turned female cab driver in Abuja.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3474854_3_png10fb15c77258a991b0028080a64fb42d

Here's how this lady wonder got to where she is today:

It all started when Suzan Asakpa’s employer revealed the plan to slash her monthly salary from N80, 000 to N70, 000. ‘That was my wake-up call,’ she narrated, after all she was already getting bored with the job.

She had worked for three years as a manager in a hotel in Abuja and felt she deserved an upgrade. But it wasn’t coming. To make this worse, came that revelation of a salary slash. At that moment Asakpe decided she needed to be her own boss and prayed for a business idea.

When she got on the phone to her father in Lagos, they talked about what she wanted to do. He was
excited when he learnt she wanted to drive a cab herself. It was not long before he gave her a call from Cotonou and asked her whether she would prefer a manual or automatic. He had actually taken a loan for that.

When the car was sent to Abuja, it was already serviced and everything had cost N720, 000. ‘But I am going to pay him back,’ Asakpe revealed, adding that she had already got N500, 000 so far.
So by October, 2015, Asakpe was already in business, but not before some preliminaries.

Before the vehicle was sent to Abuja, she had asked around and knew what she needed to do. So when the time came she took it for a paint job. Initially, she had not wanted to paint it in the traditional taxi colours, but was advised by a taxi driver to do so because it’s the law. Asakpe had complained to him that painted taxis were not allowed to enter some places, but he insisted that at least they still get access into most.

http://www.lailasblog.com/2016/03/lady-accountant-susan-aghogho-asakpa.html

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Accountant Susan Asakpa Who Drives A Cab In Abuja Tells Her Touching Story by GurlFriend: 7:18am On Mar 09, 2016
cont.

‘I later noticed that the rooftop of my cab was painted orange, which meant Painted Abuja taxi (PHC) while others blue, and some green with white stripes connoting their various companies,’ she revealed, adding that where she registered as a taxi driver, she was asked by several people whether she was actually going to drive it herself.

‘They were nice to me and I even got a pass twice and didn’t have to pay for the monthly sticker. All I had to do was show the note from their chairman and the boys on the road let me go,’ Asakpe said. She understood it was their way of encouraging her.

So far the experience has been interesting for Asakpe. Every day she gets to meet new people. Virtually everyone that enters her cab wants to engage her in a discussion. How did you come about this job? Why are you doing this job? And she enjoys responding to these questions because how she started-off is a story to tell.

But amidst the excitement sometimes comes challenges, particularly when her car sits at the mechanic’s and there’s no way she can work and it continues to gulp money for a couple of days.
Again, while most of the people around her are supportive, some discourage Asakpe. ‘I will get you a job,’ and ‘you shouldn’t be doing this’. But Asakpe only smiles.

Asakpe is presently studying to be a chartered accountant and plans to get more cars and empower women interested in the business.

‘There’s a lady already who is interested and keeps asking me to get a car for her,’ she intimated. So Asakpe wants to run a transport company that is strictly female in the future. She has realised that there’s no job that’s strictly for men, after all, there are men who own restaurants, cook, and make women’s hair.

‘Funny enough, men are supportive and are my biggest fans,’ she said, adding that she discovered it’s untrue that men don’t like independent women as some women claim. ‘I get more suitors now than i got when i was a hotel manager.’

Asakpe’s typical day as a hotel manager involved resuming work at 7:30 in the morning, particularly when she was studying for a particular examination. ‘Those days i have to work for 24 hours, which it means i work from that time of the morning to 12 midnight and then i sleep there in the premises and resume the next day at same time,’ she said.

Now her work schedule has changed and is more flexible. She drives out at 7:30 am and scouts around for workers, ‘because that’s the peak period, till 10am or 11am.’

When Asakpe started, she parks her car and sleeps off at noon, but soon discovered she could still make more money after a single experience. Overtime she has made friends with some of her customers and takes a break at their place of work. Ideally, her closing time is 5pm, but when some of her major customers are in town, she works late.

‘I had a customer recently and worked till 9pm,’ she revealed, adding that most times such jobs require her to drive them to a meeting and park while they are inside. So in this case she charges by the hour. Most times because they are her customers it fluctuates between N1,000 and N1,500. She thinks this is fair because she waits and her fuel is not used-up. And staying in a meeting for five hours by any customer automatically earns her N5000.

So Asakpe makes about N100, 000 in a month, with 80, 000 being her profit. A graduate of Accounting from the University of Nigeria, Enugu, she keeps her records clean and knows what she earns on a daily basis.

http://www.lailasblog.com/2016/03/lady-accountant-susan-aghogho-asakpa.html

15 Likes

Re: Accountant Susan Asakpa Who Drives A Cab In Abuja Tells Her Touching Story by ibkgab001: 7:20am On Mar 09, 2016
Another Jumoke in the making

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Accountant Susan Asakpa Who Drives A Cab In Abuja Tells Her Touching Story by glimpse33(m): 7:21am On Mar 09, 2016
She's Such A Darling. smiley

Unlike Some Bítches Who Depend On Their Boyfriends To Buy Even Under wears For Them.

127 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Accountant Susan Asakpa Who Drives A Cab In Abuja Tells Her Touching Story by PoliticalThuG(m): 7:22am On Mar 09, 2016
This is what ladies shud be doing rather than selling off their pucci to men

14 Likes

Re: Accountant Susan Asakpa Who Drives A Cab In Abuja Tells Her Touching Story by HungerBAD: 7:22am On Mar 09, 2016
100k a Month?

Ishilove are you thinking what i am thinking?

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Accountant Susan Asakpa Who Drives A Cab In Abuja Tells Her Touching Story by GurlFriend: 7:23am On Mar 09, 2016
ibkgab001:
Another Jumoke in the making
What she and Jumoke have in common is they didn't wait for handouts

cc lalasticlala

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Accountant Susan Asakpa Who Drives A Cab In Abuja Tells Her Touching Story by Ishilove: 7:26am On Mar 09, 2016
HungerBAD:
100k a Month?

Ishilove are you thinking what i am thinking?
You've got to be frigging kidding me cheesy

Yeyenatu

6 Likes

Re: Accountant Susan Asakpa Who Drives A Cab In Abuja Tells Her Touching Story by HungerBAD: 7:27am On Mar 09, 2016
Ishilove:

You've got to be frigging kidding me cheesy

Yeyenatu

I go buy the motor for you.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Accountant Susan Asakpa Who Drives A Cab In Abuja Tells Her Touching Story by Ishilove: 7:30am On Mar 09, 2016
HungerBAD:

I go buy the motor for you.
I can buy for myself, thanks a bunch wink

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Accountant Susan Asakpa Who Drives A Cab In Abuja Tells Her Touching Story by HungerBAD: 7:31am On Mar 09, 2016
Ishilove:

I can buy for myself, thanks a bunch wink

I go be your first Passenger.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Accountant Susan Asakpa Who Drives A Cab In Abuja Tells Her Touching Story by Ishilove: 7:32am On Mar 09, 2016
HungerBAD:

I go be your first Passenger.
Mscheeeew. No let bad belle give you ulcer tongue

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Accountant Susan Asakpa Who Drives A Cab In Abuja Tells Her Touching Story by Nobody: 7:35am On Mar 09, 2016
This is really nice, kudos to her. Now if only my father could support my interest in poultry farming embarassed

16 Likes

Re: Accountant Susan Asakpa Who Drives A Cab In Abuja Tells Her Touching Story by Ejemehn(m): 7:45am On Mar 09, 2016
GurlFriend:

Asakpe is presently studying to be a chartered accountant and plans to get more cars and empower women interested in the business.

I love this part. This is a woman with vision (Realistic one)

God bless your hustle

13 Likes

Re: Accountant Susan Asakpa Who Drives A Cab In Abuja Tells Her Touching Story by kennyman2000(m): 8:19am On Mar 09, 2016
Any legal hustle is better than Mouth Gig or no job. May God bless your hustle sister.

Check my signature for ur customised wristband

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Accountant Susan Asakpa Who Drives A Cab In Abuja Tells Her Touching Story by Dahveydson(m): 8:22am On Mar 09, 2016
This kind story inspires me.

Sometimes having determination and getting desired support is all one needs to live through life.

3 Likes

Re: Accountant Susan Asakpa Who Drives A Cab In Abuja Tells Her Touching Story by Nobody: 8:23am On Mar 09, 2016
grin

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Accountant Susan Asakpa Who Drives A Cab In Abuja Tells Her Touching Story by Onyiibazz: 8:23am On Mar 09, 2016
A former hotel manager? With those 'baby feed' i'm seeing there!
Ok, we all know her side job

2 Likes

Re: Accountant Susan Asakpa Who Drives A Cab In Abuja Tells Her Touching Story by Pavore9: 8:23am On Mar 09, 2016
Love her spirit of enterprise. Also love fathers who supports their daughters' dreams.

8 Likes

Re: Accountant Susan Asakpa Who Drives A Cab In Abuja Tells Her Touching Story by wiloy2k8(m): 8:25am On Mar 09, 2016
That is Nice .. Like seriously .. how many girls of our generation would do this . they prefer the normal style .... (selling of their body)

2 Likes

Re: Accountant Susan Asakpa Who Drives A Cab In Abuja Tells Her Touching Story by demarc001: 8:25am On Mar 09, 2016
The hustle is real
Re: Accountant Susan Asakpa Who Drives A Cab In Abuja Tells Her Touching Story by Cutehector(m): 8:25am On Mar 09, 2016
Kingcheezypuff, dnt u think u should be doin this? cheesy
Re: Accountant Susan Asakpa Who Drives A Cab In Abuja Tells Her Touching Story by Jarus(m): 8:25am On Mar 09, 2016
No big deal in my opinion.

Well educated people use their cars for uber (and drive) in other countries.

Update: The front page headline doesn't say she's a woman. Thought it was because she's an accountant, the basis for me saying no big deal. That she is a woman makes it a big deal.

4 Likes

Re: Accountant Susan Asakpa Who Drives A Cab In Abuja Tells Her Touching Story by MissingBudget: 8:25am On Mar 09, 2016
Who knows whether she's single? I'm interested.

1 Like

Re: Accountant Susan Asakpa Who Drives A Cab In Abuja Tells Her Touching Story by Justicealh3(m): 8:26am On Mar 09, 2016
And
Re: Accountant Susan Asakpa Who Drives A Cab In Abuja Tells Her Touching Story by Johnny19: 8:26am On Mar 09, 2016
"Asakpe is presently studying to be a chartered accountant and plans to get more cars and empower women interested in the business." A quality of a good entrepreneur

2 Likes

Re: Accountant Susan Asakpa Who Drives A Cab In Abuja Tells Her Touching Story by brunofarad(m): 8:27am On Mar 09, 2016
Shout out to all graduates who go out there to create value and wealth irrespective of scarce employment opportunities.

God bless our hustle.

2 Likes

Re: Accountant Susan Asakpa Who Drives A Cab In Abuja Tells Her Touching Story by Godswillnwaoma(m): 8:27am On Mar 09, 2016
Let the truth be told there are no jobs out there, unemployment rate in this country is very high so man must have a plan B. I really appreciate her efforts . Fresh graduates who are reading this should try and be self employed, you can't be staying idle waiting for the almighty job to come. Do something to help yourself.

As a 300 level student I have started making plans on what to do after my nysc by informing my parents to start raising money for me at least 500k so that I will add it with money I will saved during service year because this country is in big mess.
Did I hear she makes 100k every month. I might join transport business after my nysc. Who knows.
In summary. Every Nigeria graduate should help his or herself by being self employed because it pays. You can't be wealthy as a salary earner no matter how much you are being paid.

1 Like

Re: Accountant Susan Asakpa Who Drives A Cab In Abuja Tells Her Touching Story by apheyz(m): 8:28am On Mar 09, 2016
Wait o!!! No be susan be this Na ma chick that year for Nsukka o...

That girl sabi ride things sha!! wink

No suprise, she does it professionaly now!!!

2 Likes

Re: Accountant Susan Asakpa Who Drives A Cab In Abuja Tells Her Touching Story by princdebola201(m): 8:28am On Mar 09, 2016
K
Re: Accountant Susan Asakpa Who Drives A Cab In Abuja Tells Her Touching Story by tooman: 8:28am On Mar 09, 2016
opener
Re: Accountant Susan Asakpa Who Drives A Cab In Abuja Tells Her Touching Story by Tonymegabush1(m): 8:30am On Mar 09, 2016
Wot a darling.. Nne jisi ike.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Be Careful Where You Sit At Work / 20 Ways To Instantly Build Your Self-confidence / Charity Bassey, Airport Cleaner Returns $6000 (N2M) She Found In The Toilet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.