Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,362 members, 7,957,971 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 06:11 AM

As A Teacher, How Can I Help Boost Confidence In A Timid Pupil - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / As A Teacher, How Can I Help Boost Confidence In A Timid Pupil (13522 Views)

Primary 4 Pupil Constructs 'Gun' In Borno. Recovered In School. Photos / Picture Of A Teacher With Life Jacket While The Pupils Are Left Unprotected / A Teacher Beats And Wounds A Pupil (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: As A Teacher, How Can I Help Boost Confidence In A Timid Pupil by sirwilly1(m): 8:42pm On Mar 09, 2016
ok
Re: As A Teacher, How Can I Help Boost Confidence In A Timid Pupil by Nobody: 8:42pm On Mar 09, 2016
kennysteve77:
I have a little challenge! I am a teacher in a private school @Ajah-Lekki and I have this pupil (grade 2) that is timid, slow and forgetful. That is, he doesn't respond to questions on time even though he knows the answer, secondly he always forgets his books and other stuff @ school, he is slow in writing his notes and most times he ends up with an incomplete note because the board is rubbed off. Please what can I do to boost his confidence and make him more active and fast with his notes and also to correct his forgetfulness. Thanks in anticipation for timely response...

Just be patient with him.

Some are extroverts some are introverts
some children are dyxlexic (richard branson the billionaire was a dyslexic child)
Such children are usually very intelligent. As long as you dont contribute to his lack of confidence he will outgrow it
Just be sure you remain loving to him i.e patience and friendliness, he would never forget you.

I was timid too growing up too especially in my primary nd secondary days, guess who the city manager is now? Me!
I have a friend who was exceptionally dull in seconday school, teachers were always beating him up, he was very timid, guess where my padi shegz is now? he works in an accounting firm there in Lagos, doing very well for himself, trust me very well.

Some children just need your patience, no one is better than the other everyone is just wired differently. The push overs usually have the most beautiful hearts to offer.. Just had to contribute to this considering a boys future lies in the balance
Re: As A Teacher, How Can I Help Boost Confidence In A Timid Pupil by trishapal(f): 8:43pm On Mar 09, 2016
God bless you for coming back to share this... Very insightful contributions

kennysteve77:
Amazingly, I found a facebook group of Parents, Educators and Consultants where I posted this same issue. I've gotten numerous wonderful contributions from professionals. You may want to check the submissions on www./SchoolFinders

1 Like

Re: As A Teacher, How Can I Help Boost Confidence In A Timid Pupil by pet4u: 8:44pm On Mar 09, 2016
U need to conduct ACTION RESEARCH on him....
Re: As A Teacher, How Can I Help Boost Confidence In A Timid Pupil by macklef(m): 8:48pm On Mar 09, 2016
barbiesparkz2:

I think the movie has some alien creature in it...
Jaadoo ...
Alien? I dont watch alien movies bae. This movie is classic
Infact every teacher, mother, or parent should be made to watch this.
My perception about dull kids changed after watching this, even tho i had slayed
Many kids bom bom while i was a teacher back then. Lol.
like stars on earth thats the name of d movie.

1 Like

Re: As A Teacher, How Can I Help Boost Confidence In A Timid Pupil by ZYZZA: 8:53pm On Mar 09, 2016
AlfaSeltzer:

Leave him alone and do your job.
Children develop differently at their own pace.
please what did you smoke? for God sake that her job

1 Like

Re: As A Teacher, How Can I Help Boost Confidence In A Timid Pupil by femoomo(m): 8:58pm On Mar 09, 2016
Am an occupational therapist, I work as a special education needs teacher, have you try send him for an evaluation by an educational psychologist who will further carry out a proper assessment . Once that is done you will get a detailed recommendation on how best to work with the child .

1 Like

Re: As A Teacher, How Can I Help Boost Confidence In A Timid Pupil by Swissheart(f): 9:05pm On Mar 09, 2016
macklef:
Remind me of one of the best movies i have watched.
It involves too much of patience and compassion,
Op i see u have the compassion but to know the patience involved, u really
Have to watch the movie.

Ps: u might shed a tear watching this but uld deffinately have a big smile at the end
..... Like Stars On Earth is a lovely one.
Re: As A Teacher, How Can I Help Boost Confidence In A Timid Pupil by Aristotle96(m): 9:07pm On Mar 09, 2016
Peak milk will do the magic why? Because its in u grin
Re: As A Teacher, How Can I Help Boost Confidence In A Timid Pupil by grandstar(m): 9:07pm On Mar 09, 2016
magicminister:
okay
I can help you but you have to take what i write serious

1- Pygmalion effect:
Make him understand what you expect of him as a student.
Gently tell him that you expect him to do this, this and that.

2- Positive re-enforcemen[/b]t
reward him with praise and gifts( if possibe) anytime he shows the desirable or wanted behaviour you seek for.

3- [b]self talk
:
teach him to always talk to himself positively. Every morning, before you start class, call him out ask him to repeat this word
"my name is ____ and i will not forget to ____. _____ and ______ as instructed by my teacher".

4- Response opportunity:
ask him questions and guide him through the answer if he makes mistake. Do not accept a low standard answer, rather, correct and guide.

If you can do these things i listed, he will definitely improve but you have to believe in the process and in the student.

Some students are what we call "late bloomers".

Wonderfully said. God bless you
They might seem slow initially but when they flap their wings and fly, the world will marvel. Einstein is an example of one of those.
Re: As A Teacher, How Can I Help Boost Confidence In A Timid Pupil by God2man(m): 9:07pm On Mar 09, 2016
Give him time.
Re: As A Teacher, How Can I Help Boost Confidence In A Timid Pupil by henrimoto(m): 9:10pm On Mar 09, 2016
Swissheart:
I understand how you feel l and I must say you are a great teacher. I have handled some kids like that in the past though at secondary level. Firstly you have to introduce motivation for any normal good performance which ordinarily you wouldn't appreciate. Like whenever he packs his things home well...... .. Praise him in the presence of his mates " Class clap for Daniel, he copied all his notes and arranged it properly in his bag...... Weldone my boy". He will always love to impress you and gradually you will get the best outta him.
Challenge him to work......... Mofe if you copy this note I am about to write in time.... I'll give you erm erm erm something blah blah.
Talk to his parents..... They should involve him at home, they get him educative toys, charts and boards. A private teacher won't be a bad idea

Finally Love him, pamper him and dont get tired of trying. Pls pray for him too.
You've said it all. Thank You Very Much.
Re: As A Teacher, How Can I Help Boost Confidence In A Timid Pupil by Chalatanace(m): 9:14pm On Mar 09, 2016
Re: As A Teacher, How Can I Help Boost Confidence In A Timid Pupil by Chalatanace(m): 9:14pm On Mar 09, 2016
Use local method, you know what I mean na(beating is allowed), let him watch arsenal matches

Please if you're not karashika don't quote me
Re: As A Teacher, How Can I Help Boost Confidence In A Timid Pupil by freecocoa(f): 9:15pm On Mar 09, 2016
OP, you've been given some really good tips that will work, you just need to give him time, teaching /working with kids needs a lot of patience and dedication, trust me, in time you'll testify like me.
Re: As A Teacher, How Can I Help Boost Confidence In A Timid Pupil by Jobabori(m): 9:17pm On Mar 09, 2016
These problems can only be solved in cooperation with the child's home. Do the following with the support of the home:
1. Let the level of the child interaction with his peers in school and home improve. Discourage beeing solo and isolation.
2. Let the child be more involved in some form of pretend plays which encourage dialogue and role - taken.
3. Use nusery rhymes, songs and story telling to improve his vocalisation.
4. There are soft and hard toys and learning materials the school and home can acquire to boost his memory through play.
Re: As A Teacher, How Can I Help Boost Confidence In A Timid Pupil by henrimoto(m): 9:18pm On Mar 09, 2016
trishapal:
I'm impressed that we still have teachers who would go out of their duty call to help a pupil. I would suggest that you be particularly patient with this pupil as I see that you are very concerned and want results as this is what really makes us good teachers. Firstly, you need to let the child and the parents be aware of your observations and your willingness of partnering with the home to bring out the best in the child.
Well Said.
Re: As A Teacher, How Can I Help Boost Confidence In A Timid Pupil by Nobody: 9:25pm On Mar 09, 2016
lookandlaff:

I admire her willingness to help her pupil and she should be commended for that. However, You should be worried that these are the kind of teachers we have teaching your children. She may be a graduate but she is obviously not a trained teacher, if she is she wasn't trained properly. Child pyschology is part of teacher training and even more worrisome is that she resorts to seeking advice from Nairaland majority of whom are idiots when the web is full of professional discussion forums dedicated to teaching, where teachers from all over the world share their experiences and get advice from professionals and colleagues.

Well i think its heartwarming to know that she's actually committed to the well being of the kids she's entrusted with. That's rare.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: As A Teacher, How Can I Help Boost Confidence In A Timid Pupil by absilk(m): 9:30pm On Mar 09, 2016
Give him Osogbo weed n watch do evrythn u ask him and more...
Re: As A Teacher, How Can I Help Boost Confidence In A Timid Pupil by Prodigysam: 9:31pm On Mar 09, 2016
Make him or her the class rep
Re: As A Teacher, How Can I Help Boost Confidence In A Timid Pupil by Lescott7(m): 9:40pm On Mar 09, 2016
I am happy that we still have people who are committed in the teaching profession. Concerning your pupil, i will suggest u work more on ways to reinforce ur pupil,most especially, words of encouragement and always show interest in anything pertaining to the pupil. Lastly Teaching aids/instructional materials should not be overlooked, it's very important u employ the use of instructional materials so as to sustain and arouse the pupil interest as it's widely believe in the field of education that a learner tends to learn more when there are things that picture what he has been taught after class.
Re: As A Teacher, How Can I Help Boost Confidence In A Timid Pupil by Asiri1991: 9:50pm On Mar 09, 2016
airmirthd1:
I wished I could help but not to worry I have prayed for the pupil....

Why not organise competition among the pupils in his class to boost his confidence or better still whenever he's free let his mate explain things to him cos he might understand them better.
Not until he has improved. He may feel intimidated before others.
Re: As A Teacher, How Can I Help Boost Confidence In A Timid Pupil by oforij(m): 9:52pm On Mar 09, 2016
First of all, well done Mr. Teacher.
For a child to be slow,timid and abashed, certain factors constitute to it
1. Inferiority complex
2. Inheritance
3. Temperament
4. Peer pressure
etc...
to get him out of it, you need
to
1. First off all bring down your defense: there is a part of you he might be scared of...
2. Be friendly with him
3. Motivate him
4. Reward and compliment him when he has done something you want
5. Speak to his parents
6. Do certain things in common
7. Pray about it.
Re: As A Teacher, How Can I Help Boost Confidence In A Timid Pupil by eHydrated(m): 9:54pm On Mar 09, 2016
You don give am weed n a bottle of orijin?
Re: As A Teacher, How Can I Help Boost Confidence In A Timid Pupil by harmony940(m): 9:57pm On Mar 09, 2016
Its a pity that some certain degrees in Nigeria means mothing to most of the emplyer.....all this child needs, is a very good psychologist or a very good guidance and counsellor expert.....Psycholy is imbedded in education it is only when thisbis done that Nigerian as a nation will produce better and best student with comfidence....
Re: As A Teacher, How Can I Help Boost Confidence In A Timid Pupil by chidieze356(m): 10:03pm On Mar 09, 2016
I WAS once a teacher myself.... And there is one method that seem so effective for me... CHALLENGE.... I CHALLENGE THE ALWAYS.... WITH LOVE!
Try it... You may succeed.
Best wishes

1 Like

Re: As A Teacher, How Can I Help Boost Confidence In A Timid Pupil by gboyeng: 10:07pm On Mar 09, 2016
Swissheart:
I understand how you feel l and I must say you are a great teacher. I have handled some kids like that in the past though at secondary level. Firstly you have to introduce motivation for any normal good performance which ordinarily you wouldn't appreciate. Like whenever he packs his things home well...... .. Praise him in the presence of his mates " Class clap for Daniel, he copied all his notes and arranged it properly in his bag...... Weldone my boy". He will always love to impress you and gradually you will get the best outta him.
Challenge him to work......... Mofe if you copy this note I am about to write in time.... I'll give you erm erm erm something blah blah.
Talk to his parents..... They should involve him at home, they get him educative toys, charts and boards. A private teacher won't be a bad idea

Finally Love him, pamper him and dont get tired of trying. Pls pray for him too.

Nice suggestion! Please you can ask him to join a drama group and that will help him a lot. You can also advise the parent to help him socialize by dancing in a party and involve him in sporting activities.
Re: As A Teacher, How Can I Help Boost Confidence In A Timid Pupil by An0nimus: 10:10pm On Mar 09, 2016
lookandlaff:

I admire her willingness to help her pupil and she should be commended for that. However, You should be worried that these are the kind of teachers we have teaching your children. She may be a graduate but she is obviously not a trained teacher, if she is she wasn't trained properly. Child pyschology is part of teacher training and even more worrisome is that she resorts to seeking advice from Nairaland majority of whom are idiots when the web is full of professional discussion forums dedicated to teaching, where teachers from all over the world share their experiences and get advice from professionals and colleagues.

I don't see anything wrong in asking for help.

Would you have fired this teacher if you were his employer?
Re: As A Teacher, How Can I Help Boost Confidence In A Timid Pupil by macklef(m): 10:12pm On Mar 09, 2016
Swissheart:
..... Like Stars On Earth is a lovely one.
Super lovely
Re: As A Teacher, How Can I Help Boost Confidence In A Timid Pupil by Nobody: 10:25pm On Mar 09, 2016
First & foremost, communicate your concern with his parents.

The role of the home in child development can not be over-emphasized.
Re: As A Teacher, How Can I Help Boost Confidence In A Timid Pupil by rhymesnoni(m): 10:36pm On Mar 09, 2016
Give em Codein. Ma suggestion though.
Re: As A Teacher, How Can I Help Boost Confidence In A Timid Pupil by Nobody: 10:38pm On Mar 09, 2016
lookandlaff:

jeez! c'mon. this is ridiculous of you. what the hell u mean teacher training in this Nigeria? yeah its totally wrong and unacceptable but then that is what the educational system has been reduced to... so u can't just come on the internet blaming the teacher. instead we should continually as citizens vie seriously for a revamp of our educational system

BTW, majority of Nigerian graduates whose certificate ain't B.Ed or even NCE, due to the unemployment rate, unfortunately they find themselves teaching.
there are some who end up loving it.. but be honest with yourselves, how many Nigerian schools bother to give such teachers with no teaching knowlegde intense training for teaching? i wonder if you're typing from America with a working system..

and you don't just brand majority of people here idiots.. if u check, there are actually some replies that make good sense. not everyone is stewpid..I've learnt one or two things from forums like this.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Admission into Houdegbe North America University 2016/2017 / Lagos State Announces January 18 Resumption Date For Schools / Sponsored Jigawa Medical Students In China (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.