Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,692 members, 7,816,827 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:03 PM

Nigeria To Create 400,000 Jobs Via Pencils Making - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Nigeria To Create 400,000 Jobs Via Pencils Making (16599 Views)

Closing Today! Jobs Via PWC / Peace Corps To Generate Over 800,000 Jobs For Youths And Undergraduates / ‘Dangote Refinery Will Create 300,000 Jobs’ - Chief Operating Officer, Mr Alake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria To Create 400,000 Jobs Via Pencils Making by ajuwarhodes(f): 9:18am On Mar 11, 2016
Anyi3:
In 2018?

Na nuclear power plant ni

Not even later this year/early next year o!!! We are in for it
Re: Nigeria To Create 400,000 Jobs Via Pencils Making by clems88(m): 9:20am On Mar 11, 2016
Big joke. 2018 undecided why not 2017
Re: Nigeria To Create 400,000 Jobs Via Pencils Making by Achorise: 9:21am On Mar 11, 2016
NIRP, GEJ legacy, build on it and see how this country soars.He said he's ready to work in any capacity, call this man and save this country.
Re: Nigeria To Create 400,000 Jobs Via Pencils Making by Dahveydson(m): 9:22am On Mar 11, 2016
magicminister:
i am not against the manufacturing of pencils and all that but do we really need 400,000 people to manufacture pencils?
That sounds unrealistic and looks like another one of the Buhari's body odour promises that would soon be denied.

Before you know, they say, "we only promised to employ 100 workers... can't you see that oil prices are low"?

It's a ripple effect of the production of the pencils, from management, to distribution, to exporting, to marketing, to supply chain.

Jobs will be created. I think 400,000 is going overboard though.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Create 400,000 Jobs Via Pencils Making by kajoula(m): 9:22am On Mar 11, 2016
mikewonder:
Story highlights

Nigeria plans to open the first pencil plant in West Africa in 2018
Government officials believe this will create at least 400,000 jobs
Pencils are seen as a way to kickstart a manufacturing industry

(CNN)With the value of oil and the Naira currency in decline, Nigeria is turning to old-fashioned pencils to provide relief.

The Minister of Science and Technology, Ogbonnaya Onu, recently announced that the first pencil plant in West Africa would start production in 2018.

"We have all the things to produce a pencil, which is used by a large number of people from our young pupils to engineers," Onu told Nigerian newspaper The Daily Trust.

"The private sector will come in to do the production and we will see the benefits. When production of pencils begins, Nigerians will be amazed at the multiplier effects. It will create a minimum of 400,000 jobs."

The Minister explained that pencils use raw materials that Nigeria possesses in abundance, such as wood, graphite, and rubber. All pencils are currently imported, which has become prohibitively expensive as the Naira struggles.

Reviving industry

It is hoped that pencil production can help to revive the manufacturing sector, which has declined since the oil boom of the 1970s.

The textile industry alone employed around 350,000 people in the 1980s, a figure that has fallen to 25,000 today. The total manufacturing sector employed 18% of the workforce in 1982, but under 12% today.

The government has adopted former President Goodluck Jonathan's Nigeria Industrial Revolution Plan (NIRP) to scale up industrial production. Onu claims that pencils will be the first of 1,000 products that could now be manufactured domestically, with six-cylinder engines next on the list.

Pencils can be a logical first step in developing industrial capacity, believes Professor of Economics Stephen Onyeiwu of Allegheny College.

"Pencils use simple, mature technology and raw materials that can be sourced domestically," says Onyeiwu. "The size of the market is huge, and we could export to other African countries."

The Professor believes that success with pencils could pave the way for more sophisticated production. Economic analysts Mckinsey predict Nigerian manufacturing has the potential to deliver output of $144 billion a year by 2030, up from $35 billion in 2013.

Faith gap

However, Onyeiwu is skeptical of state-led industrial enterprise, citing the past failure of fertilizer and cement initiatives, and stresses the need for private sector leadership.

"The history of the government's involvement in the industrial sector has been disappointing," he says. "The government's role should be to facilitate...they should introduce policies to attract private investors (such as) to bring down interest rates."

Reaction to the pencil project has been largely negative, with many social media users noting the contrast with neighboring Uganda's launch of a solar-powered bus.

One scathing article by Nigerian journalist Emmanuel Uchenna Ugwu attacked the scheme as a "dubious joke."

"It is a pity that Nigeria is fantasizing about the made-in-Nigeria pencil in this age," the author wrote. "That the government of Nigeria is projecting the coming pencil as a sort of technological revolution shows that Nigeria has recorded satisfactory success only in insulting and betraying its potential." http://edition.cnn.com/2016/03/10/africa/nigeria-pencil-production-ogbonnaya/index.html
[size=18pt]SCAM AGAIN......APC PROMISE ANDS FAIL TACTICS[/size].
Re: Nigeria To Create 400,000 Jobs Via Pencils Making by Allwility: 9:24am On Mar 11, 2016
mikewonder:
Story highlights

The government has adopted former President Goodluck Jonathan's Nigeria Industrial Revolution Plan (NIRP) to scale up industrial production. Onu claims that pencils will be the first of 1,000 products that could now be manufactured domestically, with six-cylinder engines next on the list.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/03/10/africa/nigeria-pencil-production-ogbonnaya/index.html

Good step! I believe in continuity.
Re: Nigeria To Create 400,000 Jobs Via Pencils Making by ozoemenaca: 9:24am On Mar 11, 2016
Story story story ! Story
Re: Nigeria To Create 400,000 Jobs Via Pencils Making by Nobody: 9:24am On Mar 11, 2016
maxzzo1:
Is it 400 or 400,000 jobs ....na pencil ooo...well don't belief everything you....

I tire o. I can't remember the last time I used a pencil. Somebody should tell Ogbonaya Onu that this is not 1936 when he was in school. The world is moving towards electronic communication, even schools and students now use computers, exams are done using computer based tests, it will create jobs but nowhere near the figures they are brandishing.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Create 400,000 Jobs Via Pencils Making by ODUBEZE: 9:26am On Mar 11, 2016
Joke of the century! I hope their children will also be working in the Pencil Factory!
Yeye people.
Re: Nigeria To Create 400,000 Jobs Via Pencils Making by hustla(m): 9:28am On Mar 11, 2016
Na small small

We should start from scratch

Pencils
Erasers
Matches
Toothpick

Then

Raw milk
Palm oil on a madly large scale
TVs, plasmas and home theatres
Groundnut
Textile industry
Leather industry sef for shoes and co
Cocoa
The abundant mineral resources we have need to be mined

Then

Start building at least 6 working refineries
Encourage d use of solar
Fix electricity
Execute corrupt officials

In no time Nigeria will be great again

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Create 400,000 Jobs Via Pencils Making by ODUBEZE: 9:29am On Mar 11, 2016
Allwility:

Good step! I believe in continuity.
The same industrial revolution they condemned? It is well.
Re: Nigeria To Create 400,000 Jobs Via Pencils Making by Nobody: 9:29am On Mar 11, 2016
Lol
ODUBEZE:
Joke of the century! I hope their children will also be working in the Pencil Factory!
Yeye people.
Re: Nigeria To Create 400,000 Jobs Via Pencils Making by grandstar(m): 9:29am On Mar 11, 2016
Does the country have comparative advantage in making pencils? I doubt it. The country even Imports matches which is made from wood.

The country seems good in making pens. What's the big deal about pencils?
Re: Nigeria To Create 400,000 Jobs Via Pencils Making by brilliant5(m): 9:34am On Mar 11, 2016
Pls APC government shld stop making us a laughing stock. Pencil factory ain't a big deal. Its just laughable that they are saying 400,000 jobs would come out of it. This was how they promised heaven and earth without doing their maths only to come with excuses y they can't meet up.
#pencilmakingisnobigdeal#
#apcstopshamingnigeria#
Re: Nigeria To Create 400,000 Jobs Via Pencils Making by Memyselfu2009(m): 9:42am On Mar 11, 2016
We import pencil OMG
Re: Nigeria To Create 400,000 Jobs Via Pencils Making by Nobody: 9:45am On Mar 11, 2016
It's good to have a local pencil industry but we must look ahead. if you are focusing all your energies on manufacturing pencils then it means you don't anticipate your youth and students catching up with others around the world who now use computers for learning. if you are focused on candle manufacturing, it means you dont anticipate the country attaining reliable power generation because if we do then who buys the candles? Why so much focus on pencils, why cant we manufacture more computers like Zinnox? why not LED lights or solar panels? refridgerators? televisions, these are not high tech items, Adebowale industries used to manufacture Tvs, fridges etc in the past, why so much focus on pencils Mr Science and technology minister? Focus on power generation, roads, rail, agriculture, textiles, these are the areas that will generate jobs and leave the entrepreneurial Nigerians to take care of the rest.
Re: Nigeria To Create 400,000 Jobs Via Pencils Making by Nobody: 9:53am On Mar 11, 2016
shameseun:
Overnight pencil factory setup. This government has always been the joker of all time.

grandstar:
Does the country have comparative advantage in making pencils? I doubt it. The country even Imports matches which is made from wood.
The country seems good in making pens. What's the big deal about pencils?
ODUBEZE:
Yeye people.
clems88:
Big joke. 2018 undecided why not 2017
Ignatio:
Pity that our government boast of producing pencil in this jet age.

Yeah!!!

I got this every time I told people my Final year project was "The production of pencil"

The product is simple....but the technology is shocked grin grin

I spent over 90K and couldn't see the project through.

Like many advanced countries, Nigeria import pencil. It's pathetic, I know.

That the government has recognized the potential in having a pencil production factory is commendable!

Intelligent folks here will know that the proposed factory would be servicing the international market, not just Nigeria!
Re: Nigeria To Create 400,000 Jobs Via Pencils Making by Standing5(m): 10:00am On Mar 11, 2016
There is a difference between employing 400,000 to produce pencils that will sell at N100 each and employing 400 to produce pencils at N10 each. Industrialize.
Re: Nigeria To Create 400,000 Jobs Via Pencils Making by sinistermind(m): 10:00am On Mar 11, 2016
Who's this comedian?
Re: Nigeria To Create 400,000 Jobs Via Pencils Making by fleps(m): 10:03am On Mar 11, 2016
DMeanMan:

Yeah!!!

I got this every time I told people my Final year project was "The production of pencil"

The product is simple....but the technology is shocked grin grin

I spent over 90K and couldn't see the project through.

Like many advanced countries, Nigeria import pencil. It's pathetic, I know.

That the government has recognized the potential in having a pencil production factory is commendable!

Intelligent folks here will know that the proposed factory would be servicing the international market, not just Nigeria!

At the bolded, do you mean you had to abandon the project? I would love to know to how produce such. If the FG is waiting till 2018, why can't someone just start now!?

Why are the youths so bent on criticising, blaming, and expecting the government to do everything.

Guy, please, what is the logistics behind it and how much will it cost?
Re: Nigeria To Create 400,000 Jobs Via Pencils Making by nbright: 10:13am On Mar 11, 2016
AwesomeRims:

Go to PRODA, Enugu, the pencil factory has been in existence since 2011... Just dat wasteful Jonathan government couldn't make it work.

Get facts before u type nonsense

Guess you didn't read this.

Re: Nigeria To Create 400,000 Jobs Via Pencils Making by repogirl(f): 10:24am On Mar 11, 2016
Pencil kwa? That's their highest aim? And in two years sef...by then pencils might have been extinct. Lol.

So to manufacture pencil will take us two years and the minister can come and say it and be feeling like he has over achieved?

These people are funny sha.
Re: Nigeria To Create 400,000 Jobs Via Pencils Making by kunle75(m): 10:39am On Mar 11, 2016
shameseun:
Overnight pencil factory setup. This government has always been the joker of all time.

I dont think its an over night thing,but i suspect that govt is planning to revive a moribund pencil factory in the eastern part of the country.
Re: Nigeria To Create 400,000 Jobs Via Pencils Making by Anthos(m): 10:41am On Mar 11, 2016
Ndi iberibe! Na ezuzu! Pencil my morning poo! Not to think about the production date, ndi Apali ..nonsense Mtcheew
Re: Nigeria To Create 400,000 Jobs Via Pencils Making by davidtitan(m): 10:41am On Mar 11, 2016
NAIJA should be realistic, haba!! Any way stop carrying cv => mapoutcash.com/optin.html

Re: Nigeria To Create 400,000 Jobs Via Pencils Making by signified: 10:43am On Mar 11, 2016
End time factory
Re: Nigeria To Create 400,000 Jobs Via Pencils Making by Nobody: 10:43am On Mar 11, 2016
obailala:
What is foolish about this idea?
when someobe reels out numbers tgat makes you look silly. How can you create 400,000 jobs with pencil factory? How many Mallam attend schools apart from fulanimafia
Re: Nigeria To Create 400,000 Jobs Via Pencils Making by fulanimafia: 10:56am On Mar 11, 2016
Ecoterrorist:
when someobe reels out numbers tgat makes you look silly. How can you create 400,000 jobs with pencil factory? How many Mallam attend schools apart from fulanimafia

Does my moniker give you orgasms? You're beneath my radar if you've not noticed.

Re: Nigeria To Create 400,000 Jobs Via Pencils Making by Joecares: 10:58am On Mar 11, 2016
Achorise:
NIRP, GEJ legacy, build on it and see how this country soars.He said he's ready to work in any capacity, if consulted, call this man and save this country.

Jona the consultant!!! Help kwa!!! Dieriz God oooo!!!
Foolish nigeria boasting of pencil production in this 21st century wow. 400000 jobs my foot. Are we kids here?
Re: Nigeria To Create 400,000 Jobs Via Pencils Making by Nobody: 11:02am On Mar 11, 2016
fulanimafia:

Does my moniker give you orgasms? You're beneath my radar if you've not noticed.
Says a fulani boy kikikikikikikikikuk

grin

I think i will help the next fulani beggar i see in Oshodi as a gesture of my kind heart
Re: Nigeria To Create 400,000 Jobs Via Pencils Making by bmaks: 11:08am On Mar 11, 2016
mikewonder:
Story highlights

Nigeria plans to open the first pencil plant in West Africa in 2018
Government officials believe this will create at least 400,000 jobs
Pencils are seen as a way to kickstart a manufacturing industry

(CNN)With the value of oil and the Naira currency in decline, Nigeria is turning to old-fashioned pencils to provide relief.

The Minister of Science and Technology, Ogbonnaya Onu, recently announced that the first pencil plant in West Africa would start production in 2018.

"We have all the things to produce a pencil, which is used by a large number of people from our young pupils to engineers," Onu told Nigerian newspaper The Daily Trust.

"The private sector will come in to do the production and we will see the benefits. When production of pencils begins, Nigerians will be amazed at the multiplier effects. It will create a minimum of 400,000 jobs."

The Minister explained that pencils use raw materials that Nigeria possesses in abundance, such as wood, graphite, and rubber. All pencils are currently imported, which has become prohibitively expensive as the Naira struggles.

Reviving industry

It is hoped that pencil production can help to revive the manufacturing sector, which has declined since the oil boom of the 1970s.

The textile industry alone employed around 350,000 people in the 1980s, a figure that has fallen to 25,000 today. The total manufacturing sector employed 18% of the workforce in 1982, but under 12% today.

Pencils can be a logical first step in developing industrial capacity, believes Professor of Economics Stephen Onyeiwu of Allegheny College.

"Pencils use simple, mature technology and raw materials that can be sourced domestically," says Onyeiwu. "The size of the market is huge, and we could export to other African countries."

The Professor believes that success with pencils could pave the way for more sophisticated production. Economic analysts Mckinsey predict Nigerian manufacturing has the potential to deliver output of $144 billion a year by 2030, up from $35 billion in 2013.

Faith gap

However, Onyeiwu is skeptical of state-led industrial enterprise, citing the past failure of fertilizer and cement initiatives, and stresses the need for private sector leadership.

"The history of the government's involvement in the industrial sector has been disappointing," he says. "The government's role should be to facilitate...they should introduce policies to attract private investors (such as) to bring down interest rates."

Reaction to the pencil project has been largely negative, with many social media users noting the contrast with neighboring Uganda's launch of a solar-powered bus.

One scathing article by Nigerian journalist Emmanuel Uchenna Ugwu attacked the scheme as a "dubious joke."

"It is a pity that Nigeria is fantasizing about the made-in-Nigeria pencil in this age," the author wrote. "That the government of Nigeria is projecting the coming pencil as a sort of technological revolution shows that Nigeria has recorded satisfactory success only in insulting and betraying its potential." http://edition.cnn.com/2016/03/10/africa/nigeria-pencil-production-ogbonnaya/index.html

Please this is no good news abegi!...........there are many more projects that have been completed in this country by our wonderful graduating students in every tertiary institution, why not let us look through them and spin out more viable companies than wait till 2018 for pencil factory that will employ 400,000 people. this is what you get when you put a star plug into a rectangle hole. #Mtcheew....yeye dey smell

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

5 Things Every Job Seeker Should Know Before Starting Their Job Search / Vacancies At Akwa Ibom State College Of Education / Beware Of Marketing Vacancies In Banks!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.