Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,616 members, 7,813,030 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:02 AM

Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale (28140 Views)

Amosun Reconciles Awujale Of Ijebuland And Alake Of Egbaland / "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake / Ooni Of Ife Visits Alake Of Egbaland (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by nokingasgod: 10:45am On Mar 11, 2016
bluecircle470:
This is arrant balderdash. Nobody will rewrite the history of yorubaland on the platter of ego tripping. How on earth will anyone say alake is junior when historical and government records rate him as first among equals in ogun state. As far as the chairmanship of obas in ogun state is concerned, Alake takes precedence over the awujale. Even in federal government circles, d story is d same

This is an empty rant. If you have superior argument to what the Awujale said, let's hear it otherwise shut your trap!

5 Likes

Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by ATERI(m): 10:52am On Mar 11, 2016
erosimo:

U guys will just come online nd say rubbish. Do u have any fact to what u said?

You asking me this tells me I shouldn`t waste my time with you.
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by Taolyn4lif(m): 10:53am On Mar 11, 2016
ycat:
Well, according to both Awujale and Eleko, Alake denied saying it, so let's forgive him, he was drunk then.

This is what happens when monarchs talk too much (and with no sense of diplomacy). Monarchs jamtalk a lot these days: this reminds me of the popular 'lagoon' incident. It is expected that an adult should be able to identify issues to be silent about to avoid any form of controversy or disunity.
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by erosimo(m): 10:56am On Mar 11, 2016
ATERI:

You asking me this tells me I shouldn`t waste my time with you.
I know people like u only have time for rumor not fact
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by bigass123(m): 10:57am On Mar 11, 2016
What does the current ooni know about these stuffs.. The new generation ooni is a runs man who doesn't give a f*ck about these stuffs.. I'm hoping the chiefs will keep in check though. You may not understand what I'm saying, but you should get a glimpse if you reflect deeply.

udmbat:
Ajalorun of Ijebu-Ife is far above all of them listed. Ask the ooni of ife if you dont believe me.
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by bluecircle470: 10:59am On Mar 11, 2016
nokingasgod:

This is an empty rant. If you have superior argument to what the Awujale said, let's hear it otherwise shut your trap!

Ur type are here to insult. Animal!
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by andersonbaba(f): 10:59am On Mar 11, 2016
The only reason Alake is more popular is because Abeokuta is the capital of Ogun state. therefore, it is more developed than other areas like ijebu ode

2 Likes

Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by fm7070: 11:03am On Mar 11, 2016
What is the place of these 3 kings. Alara, Orangun and Ajero.
i need clarification.
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by honeric01(m): 11:05am On Mar 11, 2016
Yet this drunk "king" rated Oba of Benin as 3rd in their own "history" never knowing he's even a gatekeeper in their own obaship history grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by deolu2000(m): 11:06am On Mar 11, 2016
Yeye people... These ones that are only fighting for relevance , appointments for their loved ones and contracts from govt. Abeg na me the most influencial king on earth, because i belong to the KING OF KINGS; JESUS!
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by tonjeola(m): 11:17am On Mar 11, 2016
Hahaha!!! is like you are from ijebu ife. mind u, u are talking about ijebu ife, not ile ife! grin grin grin
udmbat:
Ajalorun of Ijebu-Ife is far above all of them listed. Ask the ooni of ife if you dont believe me.

Do you know that N1,200 one time investment & strong determination to succeed can yield N1,000,000 monthly by sharing information about ORIFLAME products & Business Opportunity on Facebook, Instagram, Whats App, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google Plus, Pinterest, YouTube, BBM Channel, Pinterest, Blogs, Vconnect, OLX etc. You can do this business with your Smartphone or Laptop @ the comfort of your bedroom. As Oriflame business consultants we do not Hawk, we are PROFESSIONAL ORIFLAME ONLINE BUSINESS CONSULTANTS & We approach our bizs just like Ecommerce platform such as Jumia & Konga. We connect prospects on Social Media to Oriflame Company by signing up free @ http://ng.oriflame.com/business-opportunity/become-consultant?potentialsponsor=103808 and as they are purchasing products from Oriflame online or doing bizs with Oriflame you can earn residual commission on all their own & referral purchase.
Testimonies: Oriflame has turn alot of Ordinary Nigerians into extraordinary millionaires, More than 8 oriflame consultants have travelled out to Spain, Albu Dhabi & this year to Sweden/Denmark all expenses paid trip by Oriflame in just one year of their operation in Nigeria. If you really want to achieve your Dreams or you are interested to do this business or want to know more Whats App/Call: 07013665980

signing up free @ http://ng.oriflame.com/business-opportunity/become-consultant?potentialsponsor=103808

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by oz4real83(m): 11:21am On Mar 11, 2016
One common thing with most yoruba obas is that they speak under the influence of too much ewedu mixed with cannabis sativa. Oba of Benin is not a yoruba oba. There is never a yoruba traditional ruler in the same category with the Oba of Benin. They will never listen and learn!!!

1 Like

Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by Deo1986(m): 11:28am On Mar 11, 2016
How come with all your juju Usman Danfodio conquered all the yorubas and forcibly turned you to muslims?
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by free13: 11:40am On Mar 11, 2016
honeric01:
Yet this drunk "king" rated Oba of Benin as 3rd in their own "history" never knowing he's even a gatekeeper in their own obaship history grin grin grin grin grin

grin
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by omoiseselagba: 11:50am On Mar 11, 2016
you are surely not a student of history.
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by spiralwedge(m): 11:54am On Mar 11, 2016
See finishing.

The awujale is the only Yoruba monarch that has my utmost respect. All others are just disgusting. The awujale was the only monarch that did not take GEJ's money. And he is a very honest custodian of history, carries himself with decorum and respect. And he also has written books that will very good authorities in history, especially as others are always distorting history for selfish gains and superiority race , thereby causing disunity and progress.

Back to topic, he is very correct by placing the Alake where he belongs. Please read The History of Abeokuta by Ajisafe.. Written about 70years ago.

1 Like

Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by spiralwedge(m): 11:57am On Mar 11, 2016
andersonbaba:
The only reason Alake is more popular is because Abeokuta is the capital of Ogun state. therefore, it is more developed than other areas like ijebu ode

That was OBJ's grand plan.
He did that to spite Awo. The Awujale rightly placed the Alake.
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by adekunle17: 11:59am On Mar 11, 2016
emamos:
It is well
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by blackprowler: 12:10pm On Mar 11, 2016
emamos:

http://www.punchng.com/alake-is-a-junior-king-in-yorubaland-awujale/

Lmao. See these savages arguing over their backwardness. 1826? 1830? They had already invented photography in serious countries; democracy and the system we are just practising today was already alive and well for almost 50 years in America (which is a very young state amongst nations). And we call these people "ancestors". Meanwhile this is all oral history as black man was incapable of recording history until first the Arab Muslims in the North, and then the British in the south. Northern Muslim society is a far more respectable historical institution than all these noisemakers in the south. I just battled some Ibo noisemakers yesterday on this issue. Ah, we are a backward society! (meanwhile we say we're a Republic o. What a joke!)
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by MartialArt2(m): 12:13pm On Mar 11, 2016
Blazinraj01:
You guys should continue to fight about who is a bigger king. On the day of judgement, you will realise no one is bigger, no matter who you are. undecided
My sister tell them ooo. People don't that this world is vanity.
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by agrovick(m): 12:18pm On Mar 11, 2016
My own concern is when we are going to have Orimolusi of Ijebu Igbo sitting on the throne
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by moshoodn(m): 12:23pm On Mar 11, 2016
The Alake has more influence than the Awujale.
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by Adesiji77: 12:24pm On Mar 11, 2016
IMHO, this battle for supremacy is completely unnecessary.

I saw the following interesting comments on Punch in reaction to the story. Historians, what do you have to say? Cc: Ishilove, naptu2

Comment 1
[b]"Our Obas should not allow their ego to becloud their sense of history. No Oba today in Yoruba land should cling to any claim of superiority in the light of the erosion of the power they used to wield, to the extent that none of them can travel outside their domains without the Chairman of the local government where their palace is situated knowing.
Awujale's statement describing the Alake as a junior king in Yoruba land cannot be supported by any historical record, written or verbal. The fight for supremacy among Yoruba Obas did not start today. The Akarigbo of Ijebu Remo once complained against the wearing of crown by the Elepe. To resolve this problem, the then Governor of Nigeria Sir William MacGregor, invited the Oni to Lagos in 1903 to give his ruling. The Oni listed twenty one kings as having the right to wear crown with beaded fringes. Though not necessarily in order of seniority, Alake of Abeokuta was number one on the list. None of the Obas which Awujale claims to be Alake's contemporary was on that list. The then Awujale did not object to the ruling by the Oni then, and the current Awujale cannot claim ignorance of this important historical ruling.
That 1903 visit to Lagos by the Oni marked the first time an Oni would travel outside his domain. On his departure people were weeping and all Yoruba kings stayed outside their palaces until the Oni returned. The Alake was the first Yoruba king to travel abroad (England), first in 1904 and again in 1937 before other kings started traveling abroad.
It used to be a taboo for Yoruba Obas to meet face to face until 1925 when the Prince of Wales visited Nigeria and the Obas met for the first time in Ibadan."[/b]

Comment 2
[b]"Kabiyesi Awujale completely distorted the beautiful history of Egba people he deliberately did for no good reasons and such could lead to disharmony between the Egba and Ijebu who have been living peacefully for many years in and outside Ogun state. Egba people first gained independence from Oyo when they waged war on tax collections called ISAKOLE against Oyo army and defeated them but Ijebu and Yoruba towns still remained under direct rule of Oyo by then.

The Ake people were the first settlers in Abeokuta from Orile Egba followed by Okeona, Gbagura and Owu who came after the fall of Owu orile during the war between them and Oyo in which Egba soldiers were there to support Owu against Oyo.
While some liberated Owu people followed Sodeke to live with Egba in Abeokuta others relocated to other Villages in Oyo, Ijesha and Ijebu lands, hence, there are many Owu towns in present Oyo, Osun and Ogun states, so it is very wrong and not correct to say that Egba met any other people in other three major sections in Abeokuta.

I believe many notable Egba historians will react to the report soon.
E MA D'ENA D'EGBA O, IGBA ERANKO KI D'ENA D'EKUN, EKUN BABA ERANKO!!!"[/b]

Comment 3
"there was nothing like an egba traditional ruler when the egbas left orile egba and migrated to ABEOKUTA neither do they have a crowned king.Lisabi, Lawarikan and Sodeke were great warriors that won several wars within the Yoruba arena including dahomey war.If all regarded as the leaders,if nowhere else go to Sodeke;s palace in ABEOKUTA and let he family enlighten you, were leaders of the Egba,s and it was Sodeke that eventually settled the Egba's in their present abode,he was supposed to be crowned the very first King of the Egbas but was poisoned when he accepted christianity into Nigeria as opposed to traditional way of worshiping and died in 1847 January 17th.I could take you through history but i have limited time today."

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by Nobody: 12:30pm On Mar 11, 2016
leisuretym:
EGBA NI OKO IJEBU! cheesy

EGBA NI OKO IJEBU!

EGBA NI OKO IJEBU!

EGBA NI OKO IJEBU!

BA Wa!!!

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Baa wa!!! *singing- Mayo mayo mayo o,lori Olumo, mayo mayo mayo o,lori Olumo.

1 Like

Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by nelxxy(m): 12:43pm On Mar 11, 2016
This fiffle sef
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by calcal: 12:46pm On Mar 11, 2016
They are crazy, we are coming for them one by one. let them fight who win will be superior. bastard.
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by nokingasgod: 12:53pm On Mar 11, 2016
Adesiji77:
IMHO, this battle for supremacy is completely unnecessary.

I saw the following interesting comments on Punch in reaction to the story. Historians, what do you have to say? Cc: Ishilove

Comment 1
[b]"Our Obas should not allow their ego to becloud their sense of history. No Oba today in Yoruba land should cling to any claim of superiority in the light of the erosion of the power they used to wield, to the extent that none of them can travel outside their domains without the Chairman of the local government where their palace is situated knowing.
Awujale's statement describing the Alake as a junior king in Yoruba land cannot be supported by any historical record, written or verbal. The fight for supremacy among Yoruba Obas did not start today. The Akarigbo of Ijebu Remo once complained against the wearing of crown by the Elepe. To resolve this problem, the then Governor of Nigeria Sir William MacGregor, invited the Oni to Lagos in 1903 to give his ruling. The Oni listed twenty one kings as having the right to wear crown with beaded fringes. Though not necessarily in order of seniority, Alake of Abeokuta was number one on the list. None of the Obas which Awujale claims to be Alake's contemporary was on that list. The then Awujale did not object to the ruling by the Oni then, and the current Awujale cannot claim ignorance of this important historical ruling.
That 1903 visit to Lagos by the Oni marked the first time an Oni would travel outside his domain. On his departure people were weeping and all Yoruba kings stayed outside their palaces until the Oni returned. The Alake was the first Yoruba king to travel abroad (England), first in 1904 and again in 1937 before other kings started traveling abroad.
It used to be a taboo for Yoruba Obas to meet face to face until 1925 when the Prince of Wales visited Nigeria and the Obas met for the first time in Ibadan."[/b]

Comment 2
[b]"Kabiyesi Awujale completely distorted the beautiful history of Egba people he deliberately did for no good reasons and such could lead to disharmony between the Egba and Ijebu who have been living peacefully for many years in and outside Ogun state. Egba people first gained independence from Oyo when they waged war on tax collections called ISAKOLE against Oyo army and defeated them but Ijebu and Yoruba towns still remained under direct rule of Oyo by then.

The Ake people were the first settlers in Abeokuta from Orile Egba followed by Okeona, Gbagura and Owu who came after the fall of Owu orile during the war between them and Oyo in which Egba soldiers were there to support Owu against Oyo.
While some liberated Owu people followed Sodeke to live with Egba in Abeokuta others relocated to other Villages in Oyo, Ijesha and Ijebu lands, hence, there are many Owu towns in present Oyo, Osun and Ogun states, so it is very wrong and not correct to say that Egba met any other people in other three major sections in Abeokuta.

I believe many notable Egba historians will react to the report soon.
E MA D'ENA D'EGBA O, IGBA ERANKO KI D'ENA D'EKUN, EKUN BABA ERANKO!!!"[/b]

Comment 3
"there was nothing like an egba traditional ruler when the egbas left orile egba and migrated to ABEOKUTA neither do they have a crowned king.Lisabi, Lawarikan and Sodeke were great warriors that won several wars within the Yoruba arena including dahomey war.If all regarded as the leaders,if nowhere else go to Sodeke;s palace in ABEOKUTA and let he family enlighten you, were leaders of the Egba,s and it was Sodeke that eventually settled the Egba's in their present abode,he was supposed to be crowned the very first King of the Egbas but was poisoned when he accepted christianity into Nigeria as opposed to traditional way of worshiping and died in 1847 January 17th.I could take you through history but i have limited time today."

Three things:
i. From your narration, one can deduce that the Alake stool was established in the 19th century.

ii. The Awujale stool predated the 16th century and probably about 400 years older than the Alake.

iii. Why then do you think the Alake should be ranked ahead of the Awujale. Is it because the Alake was the first Oba to travelled to Europe?

2 Likes

Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by opedaydydx9(m): 12:58pm On Mar 11, 2016
leisuretym:
EGBA NI OKO IJEBU! cheesy

EGBA NI OKO IJEBU!
EGBA NI OKO IJEBU!
EGBA NI OKO IJEBU!

BA Wa!!!
cheesy cheesy cheesy
lol am both ijebus hate egbas nd vice versa
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by Nobody: 1:01pm On Mar 11, 2016
The article posted on this thread isn't the complete version. This is the rest:

It is important for Alake’s education to appreciate that Ijebu has been in existence for almost 1,000 years and that we are the only people that still remain in our original homestead while other Yoruba towns and villages have relocated twice or more. If only he cares to obtain a copy of the Book: ‘The Ijebu of Yorubaland 1850-1950’ by the late Prof. E. A. Ayandele, that erudite Professor of History and endeavour to read it, there, he will know who the Ijebus are and appreciate that from time immemorial and since our settlement on Ijebu soil, Ijebu was indeed a nation until 1892 when we were defeated in the Magbon War by the British colonial forces. As to be expected, the British colonial masters left no stone unturned to humiliate us for daring to engage them in a war.

“When Sir Gilbert Carter read Intelligence Reports on Ijebuland at the Home Office in London, he felt convinced that the Ijebus were a special breed. Therefore, when he later found himself as Governor of Lagos Colony, he prepared a Treaty for the Awujale to sign so as to allow the Missionaries to educate and evangelize the people as well as surrender their monopoly of trade between the coast and hinterland and for which he offered an annual payment of 800 pounds that was rejected.

“Notwithstanding the conquest, our early contact with the expatriates was quite significant and rewarding. It was during this period that our God-given commercial acumen was brought to play, resulting in enormous prosperity for the Ijebus to the envy of our neighbours.

“In conclusion, I hereby strongly admonish Alake to refrain from making such unsavoury, unguarded and unfounded statements, which if not checked, may seriously jeopardise the unity of Yoruba Obas and their people.

Lmao @ Egbas. Don't be mad. wink

But he did allude to "envy" by neighbours. And the envy turned to jealousy and hatred...and it's real. sad

Anyway, where can I get the book (‘The Ijebu of Yorubaland 1850-1950’ by the late Prof. E. A. Ayandele) he alluded to? It's not on Amazon. And this book (The Ijebu of western Nigeria : a historical and socio-cultural study) as well?
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by opedaydydx9(m): 1:28pm On Mar 11, 2016
bigass123:
What does the current ooni know about these stuffs.. The new generation ooni is a runs man who doesn't give a f*ck about these stuffs.. I'm hoping the chiefs will keep in check though. You may not understand what I'm saying, but you should get a glimpse if you reflect deeply.

I get, alake should visit the ooni not otherwise, this ooni nA one kind king though
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by Nellybii: 1:57pm On Mar 11, 2016
Adaure4ever:
what are the contributions of this traditional rulers to the society?

They are the symbols of our identity.
They are custodians of our culture. Upholders of our ego. I know you people don't have them so you can't value them. Just like asking about the importance of the Queen to England. Yeye
Small time someone will come and preach about stereotypes here. mtchewwwwww

#righttodiewailing#
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by Gazzy88(m): 2:17pm On Mar 11, 2016
door2:
ijebu state is all what we want.
mumu,ijebu state ko ijebu nation ni. You will have them in your dreams just like "biafra"

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. / Emir of Bauchi's Brother, Rilwanu Sulaiman Adamu, Found Dead (Photos) / A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.