Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,620 members, 7,813,043 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:36 AM

Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale (28142 Views)

Amosun Reconciles Awujale Of Ijebuland And Alake Of Egbaland / "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake / Ooni Of Ife Visits Alake Of Egbaland (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by farem: 2:18pm On Mar 11, 2016
The real seniors are watching the children fighting. A couple of them (not in order of seniority) are:

Orangun of Ila
Alaafin of Oyo,
Owa Obokun of Ijeshaland.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by hoomogh(m): 2:25pm On Mar 11, 2016
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by 1kinggy(m): 2:44pm On Mar 11, 2016
udmbat:
The following is an account of the history of Ijebu Ife as recorded by historians and which is in accord with the traditions handed down by the ancestors of the King of the town, Ajalorun:

Olofin Ogbolu, eldest son of King Oduduwa succeeded his father. He had only reigned for some few years in Ile Ife when, as a result of an annual consultation of Ifa Oracle, the High Priest delivered a message that unless the King, Olofin Ogbolu, relocate from the town with all his sub-chiefs to another part of the Yoruba country to establish themselves anew, Ile Ife and its surrounding towns would be destroyed by flood.

As was customary with our ancestors, Olofin had no choice than to abide with what Ifa decreed. And in company with his chiefs and people, he arrived in many places where Ifa, upon consultations, did not allow him to settle. Some of these include Emuren in Remo Division, Isiwu in Ikorodu Division, Erunwon and Ilefon near Ijebu Ode, Odogbolu, Okemori and Idotun near Isonyin, Odongbodu, Egbe, Okeyejo, Okelugbogu, Imomo, etc, in Ilugun Alaro area of Ijebu Division.

The Elemuren, the Elerunwon, the Alse Omo of Isiwu were permitted by the Ajalorun Olofin Ogbolu to wear beaded crown. “In 1894” the Elemuren entered into treaty of friendship and protection with the British government. There was none of the articles of that treaty in which Elemuren was referred to as “chief” but as King of Emuren.

The Elemuren is a traditional son of Oba Ajalorun of Ijebu Ife to whom he owes the origin of his crown (see page 47 Obaship and Chieftancy by E. Alademomi Kenyo). The Elerunwon of Erunwon near Ijebu Ode has been wearing beaded crown in his settlement since about 1445 A.D. before the Ajalorun finally arrived in Idofe, Oke Ife, about 1450 A.D. i.e 20 years before Obanta arrived in Ijebu in 1470 A.D.

The Intelligence Report of May 1943 by T. B. Bowell-Jones, District Officer (Special Duty) para. 35B Ijebu Ode Villages, admit that the Elerunwon left Ile Ife with the Ajalorun of Ijebu Ife, first settling at Imewuro in the Ilugun Area, then at Idorunwon and Iwaye in the same area, thence to Idotun near Isonyin and finally to Erunwon, where the Ifa oracle was consulted with favourable results; the Ajalorun was the elder brother and that Obanta had not yet arrived in Ijebu Ode.

Any book, hard copy or pdf on this?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by joeyswift(m): 2:51pm On Mar 11, 2016
Now the truth is glaring,that the Egba land king just aired his opinion abt th oba of benin.the Oba of Benin is a more superior king to the Ooni of Ife.check your history books,the benin empire was a powerful force to reckon with before the colonisation era
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by Nobody: 2:54pm On Mar 11, 2016
Nellybii:

They are the symbols of our identity.
They are custodians of our culture. Upholders of our ego. I know you people don't have them so you can't value them. Just like asking about the importance of the Queen to England. Yeye
Small time someone will come and preach about stereotypes here. mtchewwwwww

#righttodiewailing#
go and learn how to talk to people politely.
Can't you answer a simple question without insult?

1 Like

Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by bigmo1(m): 3:14pm On Mar 11, 2016
udmbat:
The following is an account of the history of Ijebu Ife as recorded by historians and which is in accord with the traditions handed down by the ancestors of the King of the town, Ajalorun:

Olofin Ogbolu, eldest son of King Oduduwa succeeded his father. He had only reigned for some few years in Ile Ife when, as a result of an annual consultation of Ifa Oracle, the High Priest delivered a message that unless the King, Olofin Ogbolu, relocate from the town with all his sub-chiefs to another part of the Yoruba country to establish themselves anew, Ile Ife and its surrounding towns would be destroyed by flood.

As was customary with our ancestors, Olofin had no choice than to abide with what Ifa decreed. And in company with his chiefs and people, he arrived in many places where Ifa, upon consultations, did not allow him to settle. Some of these include Emuren in Remo Division, Isiwu in Ikorodu Division, Erunwon and Ilefon near Ijebu Ode, Odogbolu, Okemori and Idotun near Isonyin, Odongbodu, Egbe, Okeyejo, Okelugbogu, Imomo, etc, in Ilugun Alaro area of Ijebu Division.

The Elemuren, the Elerunwon, the Alse Omo of Isiwu were permitted by the Ajalorun Olofin Ogbolu to wear beaded crown. “In 1894” the Elemuren entered into treaty of friendship and protection with the British government. There was none of the articles of that treaty in which Elemuren was referred to as “chief” but as King of Emuren.

The Elemuren is a traditional son of Oba Ajalorun of Ijebu Ife to whom he owes the origin of his crown (see page 47 Obaship and Chieftancy by E. Alademomi Kenyo). The Elerunwon of Erunwon near Ijebu Ode has been wearing beaded crown in his settlement since about 1445 A.D. before the Ajalorun finally arrived in Idofe, Oke Ife, about 1450 A.D. i.e 20 years before Obanta arrived in Ijebu in 1470 A.D.

The Intelligence Report of May 1943 by T. B. Bowell-Jones, District Officer (Special Duty) para. 35B Ijebu Ode Villages, admit that the Elerunwon left Ile Ife with the Ajalorun of Ijebu Ife, first settling at Imewuro in the Ilugun Area, then at Idorunwon and Iwaye in the same area, thence to Idotun near Isonyin and finally to Erunwon, where the Ifa oracle was consulted with favourable results; the Ajalorun was the elder brother and that Obanta had not yet arrived in Ijebu Ode.
Are you from Ijebu Ife? If yes, from which quarter? I got a book from one of these Ife day celebrations which highlights all the king that has reigned in ijebu Ife. If time permits may be I will post it here.
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by Nobody: 3:21pm On Mar 11, 2016
bigmo1:

Are you from Ijebu Ife? If yes, from which quarter? I got a book from one of these Ife day celebrations which highlights all the king that has reigned in ijebu Ife. If time permits may be I will post it here.
i am Ijebu ife to the core
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by oluwolexy(m): 3:33pm On Mar 11, 2016
Is on record and properly documented that Ijebus defeated the Egbas in a war that made them relocated to their present location in Abeokuta. It was Ibadan soldiers that Sodeke and his army defeated during invasion of their.

No Ijebu town were ever conquered till date, I stand to be corrected.
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by GodpunishBuhari: 5:18pm On Mar 11, 2016
MadCow1:
Game recognise game and Alake aint looking too familiar to the Oba right now.. grin

Riley to Robert freeman
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by seunajia: 5:53pm On Mar 11, 2016
leisuretym:
EGBA NI OKO IJEBU! cheesy

EGBA NI OKO IJEBU!

EGBA NI OKO IJEBU!

EGBA NI OKO IJEBU!

BA Wa!!!

cheesy cheesy cheesy

You wanto kee yasef? Ijebu has always been >> Egba
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by ATERI(m): 6:14pm On Mar 11, 2016
AreaFada2:

I think it's the issue of young age and not being prepared to be King from birth. It all came suddenly.

He has to learn on the job.

This supremacy talk should have been quelled right from the beginning by a more experienced Ooni.

The politics and diplomacy of kingship are very important skills.
What is happening now is that some people believe that younger generation has to take over everything, well the consequences are already upon us.
We shouldn`t forget that this ego trip was started by Alake who thought he needed to categorise Obas in Yorubaland. So any attempt at damage limitation by Ooni is going to contradict what Alake has said. Really, the Obas that were degraded most by that categorisation are not the ones fighting back now because the implication of that categorisation is that Oyekan of Lagos, Olubadan of Ibadan, Owa-Obokun of Ijeshaland, Ataoja of Osogbo,Deji of Akure, Akarigbo of Ijebu Remo and Co are not that important in Yorubaland. Once you say that directly or indirectly, some of them are going to call your bluff. Interestingly, it`s not one of them that has gone public, so we haven`t heard the last of this non-sense
This was what was happening before the emergence of Pa Awo who managed to unite Yorubaland, but there is no Awo around anymore and the institution of kingship has gone cash and carry. Just like our military generals, you have Obas who can`t handle any difficult situation. I was thinking that you need to learn certain skills before you can become an Oba, one of which should be the ability to handle difficult situation/question carefully.
The one they call the new Ooni of Ife today is not just happy to marry a career divorcee, he has described himself as a christian, and that is the person that is going to be the custodian of the culture and religion of Yorubaland. Maybe he is too young to know the difference between being Mayor of Jerusalem and the Ooni of Ife. Too many rubbish kings around

3 Likes

Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by ATERI(m): 6:37pm On Mar 11, 2016
spiralwedge:

That was OBJ's grand plan.
He did that to spite Awo. The Awujale rightly placed the Alake.

I`m not a fan of Obasanjo, but can you tell the whole story fairly?
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by spiralwedge(m): 6:42pm On Mar 11, 2016
ATERI:

I`m not a fan of Obasanjo, but can you tell the whole story fairly?
I have given you a hint, you can now read up history by yourself.
History has no fan of no one, and truth is unfair to nobody.
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by spiralwedge(m): 6:57pm On Mar 11, 2016
oluwolexy:
Is on record and properly documented that Ijebus defeated the Egbas in a war that made them relocated to their present location in Abeokuta. It was Ibadan soldiers that Sodeke and his army defeated during invasion of their.

No Ijebu town were ever conquered till date, I stand to be corrected.

You are absolutely right. Ijebus were/are freeborn, they captured, sold and were middlemen to slave merchants. The Ijebus did not allow the whites passage hinderland to other parts of Yorubaland as Ijebuland surrounds Lagos. But the white colonialists mobilised regents and fought the Ijebus near Epe and won and IjebuOde was invaded. The then Awujale was sacked too. And Ijebus industrious monopoly of slavery middlemenship was ended.

The only other route to the other parts of Yorubaland was through Badagry to Abeokuta via ogun river. And it was risky because of the consistent ambush by the Aworis on that route.

1 Like

Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by Djester: 7:37pm On Mar 11, 2016
story for the gods.
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by ATERI(m): 7:38pm On Mar 11, 2016
spiralwedge:

I have given you a hint, you can now read up history by yourself.

History has no fan of no one, and truth is unfair to nobody.

Ogun State was created in 1976 during which Obasanjo- also from Abeokuta area of Ogun State- was Nigeria`s Military Head of State. The Panel that was set up to recommend where the capital of Ogun State should be located recommended Sagamu as the best place for the capital. Sagamu is nearer Ijebu Ode than Abeokuta. What happened next was that the Awujale of Ijebuland made it clear that Sagamu would become Ogun State capital over his dead body. Awujale`s problem with Sagamu was that the Akarigbo of Ijebu Remo had not been given Awujale enough respect, that was the opportunity that Obasanjo seized to take the capital of Ogun State to Abeokuta. So the crying Awujale today only has himself to blame because it`s the prestige of state capital that is making Alake more popular than him. If Awujale had not objected the location of the capital a stone`s throw from Ijebu-Ode, Obasanjo would have accepted it as recommended. Awo had to be indifferent because one of his parents was from Abeokuta while the other was from Ikenne, not very far from Sagamu.
In fact, each time I look at what happened in this area around that time, I become convinced that Nigeria`s problem is deeper than some tribalists tend to portray it. Before this location tussle about Sagamu, Akarigbo was called Akarigbo of Ijebu Remo. As a result of what happened between them, the people of Sagamu and Ijebu Remo removed Ijebu from their title and call their Oba Akarigbo of Remoland and it has remained so till today

2 Likes

Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by Akinrogun(m): 9:00pm On Mar 11, 2016
ATERI:

Ogun State was created in 1976 during which Obasanjo- also from Abeokuta area of Ogun State- was Nigeria`s Military Head of State. The Panel that was set up to recommend where the capital of Ogun State should be located recommended Sagamu as the best place for the capital. Sagamu is nearer Ijebu Ode than Abeokuta. What happened next was that the Awujale of Ijebuland made it clear that Sagamu would become Ogun State capital over his dead body. Awujale`s problem with Sagamu was that the Akarigbo of Ijebu Remo had not been given Awujale enough respect, that was the opportunity that Obasanjo seized to take the capital of Ogun State to Abeokuta. So the crying Awujale today only has himself to blame because it`s the prestige of state capital that is making Alake more popular than him. If Awujale had not objected the location of the capital a stone`s throw from Ijebu-Ode, Obasanjo would have accepted it as recommended. Awo had to be indifferent because one of his parents was from Abeokuta while the other was from Ikenne, not very far from Sagamu.
In fact, each time I look at what happened in this area around that time, I become convinced that Nigeria`s problem is deeper than some tribalists tend to portray it. Before this location tussle about Sagamu, Akarigbo was called Akarigbo of Ijebu Remo. As a result of what happened between them, the people of Sagamu and Ijebu Remo removed Ijebu from their title and call their Oba Akarigbo of Remoland and it has remained so till today
more grease to ur elbow......I av always bn circumspect dt d Awujale have supremacist inclinations.....with this article, my instinct feels fulfilled.
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by Akinrogun(m): 9:18pm On Mar 11, 2016
agrovick:
My own concern is when we are going to have Orimolusi of Ijebu Igbo sitting on the throne
bro....from d categorisation of Orimolusi with other obas by Awujale.....I believe he's happy dt a new orimolusi is not emerging.
it's a deliberate attempt to downgrade d Orimolusi throne.

The will of the Almighty God shall prevail....whether man likes it or not!
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by Ajalekoko76(m): 9:22pm On Mar 11, 2016
Egba people are known to be coward.
Ijebu loko Egba since,Oduduwa began journey of no return. shocked shocked
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by spiralwedge(m): 9:44pm On Mar 11, 2016
ATERI:

My brother abi na sister, this is a mere hearsay.

As a matter of fact, this is exactly what i heard when Abacha/Diya wanted to create Ijebu State in the 90s. Only that it was a rivalry between Sagamu and IjebuOde. Ijebu state was supposed to be announced in that broadcast either with Ekiti or instead of.

Concerning Ogun state creation, history has it that Obj hates Awo's presidential ambitions, (Obj doesn't hide this in his books or interviews) and destabilising Awo's base with newly introduced states was Obj's strategy. The Awujale said this sometimes along this line this year during Ogun state's 40th anniversary celebration.
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by ATERI(m): 9:54pm On Mar 11, 2016
spiralwedge:

My brother abi na sister, this is a mere hearsay.

As a matter of fact, this is exactly what i heard when Abacha/Diya wanted to create Ijebu State in the 90s. Only that it was a rivalry between Sagamu and IjebuOde. Ijebu state was supposed to be announced in that broadcast either with Ekiti or instead of.

Concerning Ogun state creation, history has it that Obj hates Awo's presidential ambitions, (Obj doesn't hide this in his books or interviews) and destabilising Awo's base with newly introduced states was Obj's strategy. The Awujale said this sometimes along this line this year during Ogun state's 40th anniversary celebration.
Everything I typed above is factual and indisputable, but feel free to describe it as hearsay and rumour
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by ATERI(m): 9:58pm On Mar 11, 2016
Akinrogun:

more grease to ur elbow......I av always bn circumspect dt d Awujale have supremacist inclinations.....with this article, my instinct feels fulfilled.

My pleasure
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by MikeB3(m): 9:59pm On Mar 11, 2016
Story for the gods! Can someone justify the importance of the present day obas in this present world of ours. For me, they have been cornered by the government probably because of the stipends they collect from "ijoba"...
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by spiralwedge(m): 10:01pm On Mar 11, 2016
ATERI:

Everything I typed above is factual and indisputable, but feel free to describe it as hearsay and rumour

Its ok. Did anyone write about this? Or any published interview where people concerned stated this? Obasanjo would have written it about it if it was true. Especially in his book, Not My Will, where he wrote in details tales about the happenings during his military rule.
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by agrovick(m): 11:12pm On Mar 11, 2016
Akinrogun:

bro....from d categorisation of Orimolusi with other obas by Awujale.....I believe he's happy dt a new orimolusi is not emerging.
it's a deliberate attempt to downgrade d Orimolusi throne.

The will of the Almighty God shall prevail....whether man likes it or not!
Yes o.
From what I heard the Awujale is one of the factors responsible for the non emergence of Orimolusi.
Where in Ijebu Igbo are u from
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by nokingasgod: 1:17am On Mar 12, 2016
ATERI:

This is far from the truth and its not tenable. Was the panel reporting to the Awujale or do they need his approval? Does the Awujale exercise any constitutional power over the panel and the head of state? What would have happened if the state was created and Shagamu made the capital?

What happened when Osun State was created and Oshogbo made the capital over Ife where the all-influential Ooni Sijuwade was reigning?

Truth of the matter is Obasanjo of that time would never allow any Ijebu town be made capital over his beloved Abeokuta otherwise the Obasanjo we know would have gone ahead with the panel's ''supposed'' recommendation.

1 Like

Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by ycat: 3:05am On Mar 12, 2016
Are you Yoruba?
Taolyn4lif:

This is what happens when monarchs talk too much (and with no sense of diplomacy). Monarchs jamtalk a lot these days: this reminds me of the popular 'lagoon' incident. It is expected that an adult should be able to identify issues to be silent about to avoid any form of controversy or disunity.
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by ycat: 3:21am On Mar 12, 2016
You are from the dumbest tribe, take care of your problems first.
Uncletony:

U see what i mean?!. I salute their stupidity!
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by Taolyn4lif(m): 7:54am On Mar 12, 2016
ycat:
Are you Yoruba?

I am a Nigerian
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by Nellybii: 8:08am On Mar 12, 2016
Adaure4ever:
go and learn how to talk to people politely.
Can't you answer a simple question without insult?

Teach me please.
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by Akinrogun(m): 8:39am On Mar 12, 2016
agrovick:

Yes o.
From what I heard the Awujale is one of the factors responsible for the non emergence of Orimolusi.
Where in Ijebu Igbo are u from
hi.....I hail from Okesopen sector........and u?
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by elopee3000(m): 10:17am On Mar 12, 2016
Nellybii:

They are the symbols of our identity.
They are custodians of our culture. Upholders of our ego. I know you people don't have them so you can't value them. Just like asking about the importance of the Queen to England. Yeye
Small time someone will come and preach about stereotypes here. mtchewwwwww

#righttodiewailing#
and u think Germany Austrian or France or Italy don't ve kings before ? They see no benefit they revoked kingship re we better than them ?with ur ooni or ur seriki

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. / Emir of Bauchi's Brother, Rilwanu Sulaiman Adamu, Found Dead (Photos) / A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.