Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,852 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:57 AM

What Did You Think 1 Corinthians 7:36 Says About Sex Before Marriage. Your View? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Did You Think 1 Corinthians 7:36 Says About Sex Before Marriage. Your View? (1134 Views)

What Does The Bible Say About Sex Before Marriage? / "Apostle Suleman Uses His Tongue On Me During Sex Before Preaching" - Otobo / Bromleigh McCleneghan: Sex Before Marriage Is Good (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Did You Think 1 Corinthians 7:36 Says About Sex Before Marriage. Your View? by turboG: 5:02pm On Mar 12, 2016
Hello Guys,

What did you think the Bible Verses below says about Sex before Marriage.

1 Corinthians 7:36-38 King James Version (KJV)

36 But if any man think that he behaveth himself uncomely toward his virgin, if she pass the flower of her age, and need so require, let him do what he will, he sinneth not: let them marry.

37 Nevertheless he that standeth stedfast in his heart, having no necessity, but hath power over his own will, and hath so decreed in his heart that he will keep his virgin, doeth well.

38 So then he that giveth her in marriage doeth well; but he that giveth her not in marriage doeth better.
Re: What Did You Think 1 Corinthians 7:36 Says About Sex Before Marriage. Your View? by rottennaija(m): 5:13pm On Mar 12, 2016
NIV:If anyone is worried that he might not be acting honorably toward the virgin he is engaged to, and if his passions are too strong and he feels he ought to marry, he should do as he wants. He is not sinning. They should get married..
ESV:If anyone thinks that he is not behaving properly toward his betrothed, if his passions are strong, and it has to be, let him do as he wishes: let them marry—it is no sin.
KJV:But if any man think that he behaveth himself uncomely toward his virgin, if she pass the flower of her age, and need so require, let him do what he will, he sinneth not: let them marry.
NLT:But if a man thinks that he’s treating his fiancée improperly and will inevitably give in to his passion, let him marry her as he wishes. It is not a sin.
YLT:and if any one doth think [it] to be unseemly to his virgin, if she may be beyond the bloom of age, and it ought so to be, what he willeth let him do; he doth not sin -- let him marry.
NIV:But the man who has settled the matter in his own mind, who is under no compulsion but has control over his own will, and who has made up his mind not to marry the virgin—this man also does the right thing.
ESV:But whoever is firmly established in his heart, being under no necessity but having his desire under control, and has determined this in his heart, to keep her as his betrothed, he will do well.
KJV:Nevertheless he that standeth stedfast in his heart, having no necessity, but hath power over his own will, and hath so decreed in his heart that he will keep his virgin, doeth well.
NLT:But if he has decided firmly not to marry and there is no urgency and he can control his passion, he does well not to marry.
YLT:And he who hath stood stedfast in the heart -- not having necessity -- and hath authority over his own will, and this he hath determined in his heart -- to keep his own virgin -- doth well;
NIV:So then, he who marries the virgin does right, but he who does not marry her does better.
ESV:So then he who marries his betrothed does well, and he who refrains from marriage will do even better.
KJV:So then he that giveth her in marriage doeth well; but he that giveth her not in marriage doeth better.
NLT:So the person who marries his fiancée does well, and the person who doesn’t marry does even better.
YLT:so that both he who is giving in marriage doth well, and he who is not giving in marriage doth better.

I think the scriptures is self explanatory. The tendency for those engaged together to get passionate about themselves is very high, and it does happen. So, the apostle Paul is saying they should marry to prevent future occurrences

The manner of writing of the apostle Paul also shows that this was happening within the corinthians church or congregation
Re: What Did You Think 1 Corinthians 7:36 Says About Sex Before Marriage. Your View? by TalkWithLizy: 5:17pm On Mar 12, 2016
Paul never says sex before marriage is OK. Perhaps you are misunderstanding these sections - you may want to read them in a modern translation such as the New Living Translation. [url]MyStudyBible.com[/url]

Now regarding the questions you asked in your letter. Yes, it is good to live a celibate life. But because there is so much sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman should have her own husband. The husband should fulfill his wife’s sexual needs, and the wife should fulfill her husband’s needs. The wife gives authority over her body to her husband, and the husband gives authority over his body to his wife. Do not deprive each other of sexual relations, unless you both agree to refrain from sexual intimacy for a limited time so you can give yourselves more completely to prayer. Afterward, you should come together again so that Satan won’t be able to tempt you because of your lack of self-control. I say this as a concession, not as a command.

But I wish everyone were single, just as I am. But God gives to some the gift of marriage, and to others the gift of singleness. So I say to those who aren’t married and to widows—it’s better to stay unmarried, just as I am. But if they can’t control themselves, they should go ahead and marry. It’s better to marry than to burn with lust.
1 Corinthians 7:1-9 (NLT)

But if a man thinks that he’s treating his fiancée improperly and will inevitably give in to his passion, let him marry her as he wishes. It is not a sin. But if he has decided firmly not to marry and there is no urgency and he can control his passion, he does well not to marry. So the person who marries his fiancée does well, and the person who doesn’t marry does even better.

1 Corinthians 7:36-38 (NLT)

One principle of Bible reading is to never read a single verse - always read the surrounding context. It is easy to pull a verse out of context - for example "Do not deprive each other of sexual relations" is specifically addressed to married couples.

https://www.quora.com/Why-does-Paulus-says-in-1-Corinthians-7-that-sex-before-marriage-is-ok-while-other-passages-in-the-Bible-say-that-it-is-a-sin
Re: What Did You Think 1 Corinthians 7:36 Says About Sex Before Marriage. Your View? by AdeniyiA(m): 5:22pm On Mar 12, 2016
@turboG,it says whoever you have sëx with you must marry, I other words, séx means marriage
Re: What Did You Think 1 Corinthians 7:36 Says About Sex Before Marriage. Your View? by Scholar8200(m): 5:39pm On Mar 12, 2016
Whatever meaning anyone wants to read to that verse, remember this came first:

Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,...will inherit or have any share in the kingdom of God.
1 Corinthians 6:9,10a

Now in the Op, Paul was simply saying:

But if they have not self-control (restraint of their passions), they should marry. For it is better to marry than to be aflame [with passion and tortured continually with [size=15pt]ungratified[/size] desire].
1 Corinthians 7:9 (AMP)

This agrees with the moral context of the Epistle, nay, the whole Bible.

2 Likes

Re: What Did You Think 1 Corinthians 7:36 Says About Sex Before Marriage. Your View? by analice107: 7:50pm On Mar 12, 2016
TalkWithLizy:
Paul never says sex before marriage is OK. Perhaps you are misunderstanding these sections - you may want to read them in a modern translation such as the New Living Translation. [url]MyStudyBible.com[/url]

Now regarding the questions you asked in your letter. Yes, it is good to live a celibate life. But because there is so much sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman should have her own husband. The husband should fulfill his wife’s sexual needs, and the wife should fulfill her husband’s needs. The wife gives authority over her body to her husband, and the husband gives authority over his body to his wife. Do not deprive each other of sexual relations, unless you both agree to refrain from sexual intimacy for a limited time so you can give yourselves more completely to prayer. Afterward, you should come together again so that Satan won’t be able to tempt you because of your lack of self-control. I say this as a concession, not as a command.

But I wish everyone were single, just as I am. But God gives to some the gift of marriage, and to others the gift of singleness. So I say to those who aren’t married and to widows—it’s better to stay unmarried, just as I am. But if they can’t control themselves, they should go ahead and marry. It’s better to marry than to burn with lust.

But if a man thinks that he’s treating his fiancée improperly and will inevitably give in to his passion, let him marry her as he wishes. It is not a sin. But if he has decided firmly not to marry and there is no urgency and he can control his passion, he does well not to marry. So the person who marries his fiancée does well, and the person who doesn’t marry does even better.

One principle of Bible reading is to never read a single verse - always read the surrounding context. It is easy to pull a verse out of context - for example "Do not deprive each other of sexual relations" is specifically addressed to married couples.

https://www.quora.com/Why-does-Paulus-says-in-1-Corinthians-7-that-sex-before-marriage-is-ok-while-other-passages-in-the-Bible-say-that-it-is-a-sin
Give me permission to hug you.
I met a brother who was a young pastor in a certain church, but at that moment he was just a member in Redeem. Why did he leave this flamboyant church? THE VERSE ABOVE.
A lot is going on in the body of Christ that we need to address. He was in one of the branches in Lagos, not the head pastor though. He just discovered that, the Brethren were paired. Two by two. They have proposed to themselves that they SHALL marry, so that verse justified their togetherness. Sex was running freely in the church. He stood up and was speaking against it, he was indeed called into the head pastors office and shown that verse, he said that was the very first time, he actually sat back to read and reread that verse. He saw what you saw, that these Folk were getting it wrong. He went on preaching against sexual immorality. My dear persecution rose up strongly against him from the leadership. He quietly resigned his pastoral duties and changed church.
I have many friends in this church , they hold strongly to this verse, argue themselves into fornication by it. Am so sorry to say it, but I have not come across a Brethren in this church who frowns at fornication. Three of them are currently living inside the same estate as me. They speak in Tongues the loudest, boy friend and girl friend together. But they are not married. Almost living together. God forgive me, I don't take them serious.
Christianity is not in words, but in actions.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Did You Think 1 Corinthians 7:36 Says About Sex Before Marriage. Your View? by turboG: 9:26pm On Mar 12, 2016
@analice, U did great. Keep it up.

analice107:

Give me permission to hug you.
I met a brother who was a young pastor in a certain church, but at that moment he was just a member in Redeem. Why did he leave this flamboyant church? THE VERSE ABOVE.
A lot is going on in the body of Christ that we need to address. He was in one of the branches in Lagos, not the head pastor though. He just discovered that, the Brethren were paired. Two by two. They have proposed to themselves that they SHALL marry, so that verse justified their togetherness. Sex was running freely in the church. He stood up and was speaking against it, he was indeed called into the head pastors office and shown that verse, he said that was the very first time, he actually sat back to read and reread that verse. He saw what you saw, that these Folk were getting it wrong. He went on preaching against sexual immorality. My dear persecution rose up strongly against him from the leadership. He quietly resigned his pastoral duties and changed church.
I have many friends in this church , they hold strongly to this verse, argue themselves into fornication by it. Am so sorry to say it, but I have not come across a Brethren in this church who frowns at fornication. Three of them are currently living inside the same estate as me. They speak in Tongues the loudest, boy friend and girl friend together. But they are not married. Almost living together. God forgive me, I don't take them serious.
Christianity is not in words, but in actions.
Re: What Did You Think 1 Corinthians 7:36 Says About Sex Before Marriage. Your View? by turboG: 4:33am On Mar 13, 2016
Lovely & epic reponse

TalkWithLizy:

(1) (Reply)

Why I Blame Nairaland Christians / US School Oks Educating With Satan / 10 Reasons Why Homosexual “marriage” Is Harmful And Must Be Opposed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.