Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,026 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:15 AM

PHOTO: Tamburawa Bridge In Kano About To Collapse - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PHOTO: Tamburawa Bridge In Kano About To Collapse (27627 Views)

PHOTOS: Newly Built Pedestrian Bridge In Ojota, Lagos / Omanbala Oil Rig Bridge, The Longest Bridge In South-East Outside Niger Bridge / A Disaster Waiting To Happen Tamburawa Bridge, Kano State (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: PHOTO: Tamburawa Bridge In Kano About To Collapse by Ayomi088(m): 4:27pm On Mar 13, 2016
shocked
Re: PHOTO: Tamburawa Bridge In Kano About To Collapse by Nuezha(m): 4:30pm On Mar 13, 2016
nedu2000:
It's low tide (water level drops)thats all.
Though admittedly I can't vouch for the bridge until I have a closer look,but it looks okay to me

Don't mind the OP. He's not an Engr.
those piles could be deeper than 60m.

Everything seems OK.

PILES ->PILECAPS->PIERS->DECK

3 Likes

Re: PHOTO: Tamburawa Bridge In Kano About To Collapse by nedu2000(m): 4:32pm On Mar 13, 2016
Nuezha:

Everything seems OK.

exactly,its just the low tide that exposed them,by june/july all we'll see will be the columns

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: Tamburawa Bridge In Kano About To Collapse by rman: 4:34pm On Mar 13, 2016
There is on nothing wrong with bridge based on the image provided .

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: Tamburawa Bridge In Kano About To Collapse by menxer: 4:39pm On Mar 13, 2016
@op, I don't think those struts are temporary fix, but foundation piles that is a requirement for such structures.

Besides I bet that bridge was not built initially over a river, maybe a dry Valley that came alive by reason of rainfall or something.

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: Tamburawa Bridge In Kano About To Collapse by Socketbet: 4:51pm On Mar 13, 2016
Buhari why..... Is this what we agreed..... 2019 is our final destination I promise you
Re: PHOTO: Tamburawa Bridge In Kano About To Collapse by Safari29: 5:05pm On Mar 13, 2016
op nothing is wrong with the bridge.

2 Likes

Re: PHOTO: Tamburawa Bridge In Kano About To Collapse by tottinova: 5:09pm On Mar 13, 2016
lekan29ice:
Oh my God! I just passed the bridge this morning... May God continue to safe us

You funny die
Re: PHOTO: Tamburawa Bridge In Kano About To Collapse by tottinova: 5:11pm On Mar 13, 2016
metroparrot:
Nura Alkali shared the photo on Facebook this morning and wrote:

"This is Tamburawa Bridge in Kano, which is still in use. Rest assured that a sudden collapse resulting in fatalities will meet with "ikon Allah", "kwana ya kare". . . when, in fact, Allah told no one to disobey the laws of gravity. The engineer who came up with this temporary solution should be sacked and prosecuted for public endangerment.

http://www.metronaija.com/2016/03/photo-tamburawa-bridge-in-kano-about-to.html

This bridge, about to collapse.
This bridge that's still at its prime.
This bridge will remain like this till it collapses, nd lives will be lost.

You dey do like sey no be naija you dey
Re: PHOTO: Tamburawa Bridge In Kano About To Collapse by Jacko1(m): 5:19pm On Mar 13, 2016
Issorrite.... Thank God nothin jas ever made me come across such.... Jesu
Re: PHOTO: Tamburawa Bridge In Kano About To Collapse by Originalsly: 5:22pm On Mar 13, 2016
Nuezha:

Everything seems OK.

I'm also not an engineer... guess you are. Have you ever seen any structure with the piles exposed like this?...on any building or bridge? Shouldn't such piles be underground? I'm sure Menxer is not an engineer but is willing to bet the most likely cause of the situation. And since when do piles be leaning in different directions? I guess you, the engineers, the governor and others here like you would be the first to shout it was an accident when the bridge do collapse. Those that see nothing wrong might as well take this opportunity to blame Buhari in advance.

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: Tamburawa Bridge In Kano About To Collapse by maursatt: 5:34pm On Mar 13, 2016
This is an accident Waite to happen.
Re: PHOTO: Tamburawa Bridge In Kano About To Collapse by MadCow1: 5:35pm On Mar 13, 2016
Originalsly:
I'm also not an engineer... guess you are. Have you ever seen any structure with the piles exposed like this?...on any building or bridge? Shouldn't such piles be underground? I'm sure Menxer is not an engineer but is willing to bet the most likely cause of the situation. And since when do piles be leaning in different directions? I guess you, the engineers, the governor and others here like you would be the first to shout it was an accident when the bridge do collapse. Those that see nothing wrong might as well take this opportunity to blame Buhari in advance.

I have.

I am an Engineer, not a civil engineering but a Geological engineer with very good foundation engineering background.

The bridge is fine. Everything is in order.

The piles are only exposed because the tide dropped. Nothing about that means the stuctural integrity or the load bearing capacity of the piles have been diminished.

The fact that the piles are bent is a function of load dispersion. The load from the bridge is dispersed in various directions inside the ground.

The picture is not enough to tell you the bridge is collapsing. In port harcourt, I can take you to two bridges with similar foundations.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the bridge from the picture unless there is something else the OP wants us to see that we are missing.

This is Engineering not Arts.

Thanks.

6 Likes

Re: PHOTO: Tamburawa Bridge In Kano About To Collapse by Nuezha(m): 5:52pm On Mar 13, 2016
Originalsly:

Those inclines piles are bored on purpose.
Look critically, they're on the edges of pile cap to enhance stability.

Scouring is an event that must be considered in boring piles under a river. The very reason why the piles have permanent casing, and are also very deep.

The bridge is safe. Simple.

5 Likes

Re: PHOTO: Tamburawa Bridge In Kano About To Collapse by Seunolad1(m): 5:57pm On Mar 13, 2016
Dnt mind them, they are expecting big colums but it's about calculations. #Proudly An Engineer#

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: Tamburawa Bridge In Kano About To Collapse by Nobody: 6:16pm On Mar 13, 2016
lol

metroparrot:

when, in fact, Allah told no one to disobey the laws of gravity.

Re: PHOTO: Tamburawa Bridge In Kano About To Collapse by flokii: 6:17pm On Mar 13, 2016
make I just blame GEJ .

those abokiis sef funny
Re: PHOTO: Tamburawa Bridge In Kano About To Collapse by DeWorlex45(m): 6:38pm On Mar 13, 2016
End Time Bridge,.
Re: PHOTO: Tamburawa Bridge In Kano About To Collapse by Nobody: 6:50pm On Mar 13, 2016
ask4double:
So much for the so called Nigerian society of engineers. This should not happen in a country where there seems to be the educated and professional class, under no circumstance. Nigeria will rise again. My generation will set things right again ( I belong to the 80s). We will turn our fortunes round for good.

Bro... if I have d power, I will jusr scrap dat society.. angry... I wanna ask, of wat benefit is d society to engineers esp young ones...

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: Tamburawa Bridge In Kano About To Collapse by ruke84(m): 6:57pm On Mar 13, 2016
Almost all bridge are built in same manner like this one.those piles have been driven deep into the ground and they must have been properly calculated to hold the weight of.the bridge for a.certain number of years. The bridge looks safe.

3 Likes

Re: PHOTO: Tamburawa Bridge In Kano About To Collapse by honeric01(m): 7:30pm On Mar 13, 2016
crixtex:

Bro... if I have d power, I will jusr scrap dat society.. angry... I wanna ask, of wat benefit is d society to engineers esp young ones...

Wetin you sabi?

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: Tamburawa Bridge In Kano About To Collapse by Nobody: 7:37pm On Mar 13, 2016
honeric01:

Wetin you sabi?
Bro... can u tell me some benefits. .. since I no sabi
Re: PHOTO: Tamburawa Bridge In Kano About To Collapse by demzylahot(m): 7:37pm On Mar 13, 2016
them use bamboo as piles?
Re: PHOTO: Tamburawa Bridge In Kano About To Collapse by Nobody: 8:02pm On Mar 13, 2016
if you are an engineer and take a.closer look.at that pics you will.see that the sand UNDER the base of the foot has been washed off by erosion. those poles u see u Der the base were initially buried in.the soil as piling pipes to make the bridge stronger. so the fact that erosion has washed the soil off the base of the bridge is nobody's fault. the only solution to that bridge now is casting around the piling pipes so that the base/footing of the bridge can sit on a new base.

2 Likes

Re: PHOTO: Tamburawa Bridge In Kano About To Collapse by UnimkeAk(m): 9:02pm On Mar 13, 2016
metroparrot:
Nura Alkali shared the photo on Facebook this morning and wrote:

"This is Tamburawa Bridge in Kano, which is still in use. Rest assured that a sudden collapse resulting in fatalities will meet with "ikon Allah", "kwana ya kare". . . when, in fact, Allah told no one to disobey the laws of gravity. The engineer who came up with this temporary solution should be sacked and prosecuted for public endangerment.

http://www.metronaija.com/2016/03/photo-tamburawa-bridge-in-kano-about-to.html

Those are pile supports ( although say dem no 2 straight) u seeing them because of the low tide,. that bridge will not collapse anytime soon. stop raising a false alarm
Re: PHOTO: Tamburawa Bridge In Kano About To Collapse by Originalsly: 9:37pm On Mar 13, 2016
MadCow1:

I have.

I am an Engineer, not a civil engineering but a Geological engineer with very good foundation engineering background.

The bridge is fine. Everything is in order.

The piles are only exposed because the tide dropped. Nothing about that means the stuctural integrity or the load bearing capacity of the piles have been diminished.

The fact that the piles are bent is a function of load dispersion. The load from the bridge is dispersed in various directions inside the ground.

The picture is not enough to tell you the bridge is collapsing. In port harcourt, I can take you to two bridges with similar foundations.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the bridge from the picture unless there is something else the OP wants us to see that we are missing.

This is Engineering not Arts.

Thanks.
Are you saying when new.... this is normal foundation?...as seen in the photo? ...having iron piles in water? ...shouldn't they be encased in concrete to prevent rust and maintain the intended purpose? Well....if this is acceptable by engineers then we have a longer way to go than I thought.
Re: PHOTO: Tamburawa Bridge In Kano About To Collapse by MadCow1: 10:12pm On Mar 13, 2016
Originalsly:
Are you saying when new.... this is normal foundation?...as seen in the photo? ...having iron piles in water? ...shouldn't they be encased in concrete to prevent rust and maintain the intended purpose? Well....if this is acceptable by engineers then we have a longer way to go than I thought.

Iron piles in water isn't new Sir..

Have you ever heard of Cathodic protection?

Please give it a rest, it's nothing new. We have a long way to go indeed but that does not mean the methodology used in building this bridge isn't an industry standard.

Not all metals corrode just because they are in water. The life span of that bridge is longer than you think.

This is engineering. Strength of materials, material science, basic mechanics, foundation engineering, e.t.c in play here.

You obviously do not know much about this subject and despite several engineers on the site telling you that your alarm is much ado about nothing you have vehemently held on to your position that the bridge is bad.

Do you know that even concrete has its limitations and does react with being constantly soaked in water?

Do you think concrete is stronger than steel?

As long as the bridge is properly piled, the weight is being transferred to solid underlying bedrock, the metals were properly treated against corrosion and the usage on the bridge stays within the safe bearing capacity, there is nothin to worry about.

Use your internet and Google steel piled bridges and be amazed and enlightened at the same time.

No matter what you feel, it wouldn't make that bridge substandard.

2 Likes

Re: PHOTO: Tamburawa Bridge In Kano About To Collapse by MadCow1: 10:15pm On Mar 13, 2016
cyrilfosy:
if you are an engineer and take a.closer look.at that pics you will.see that the sand UNDER the base of the foot has been washed off by erosion. those poles u see u Der the base were initially buried in.the soil as piling pipes to make the bridge stronger. so the fact that erosion has washed the soil off the base of the bridge is nobody's fault. the only solution to that bridge now is casting around the piling pipes so that the base/footing of the bridge can sit on a new base.

What manner of fuckery!

Do you think the piles are sitting on the surface?

grin grin

I can't deal with this type of bullshit Biko..

Believe whatever pleases you. If after all the literature on this thread from engineers have not still helped your doubt, then there is nothing else to say to you. Carry on in your blissful ignorance.

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: Tamburawa Bridge In Kano About To Collapse by MadCow1: 10:30pm On Mar 13, 2016
This is Engineering... Not some Arts or Sciences.

4 Likes

Re: PHOTO: Tamburawa Bridge In Kano About To Collapse by MadCow1: 10:32pm On Mar 13, 2016
honeric01:

Wetin you sabi?

You dey answer the vulcaniser
Re: PHOTO: Tamburawa Bridge In Kano About To Collapse by babyfaceafrica: 10:32pm On Mar 13, 2016
This OP is just an alarmist..imagine arguing with engineers?...chai!!!!.you won teach them there job?..abeg take time o

2 Likes

Re: PHOTO: Tamburawa Bridge In Kano About To Collapse by Mailthaddeus(m): 10:32pm On Mar 13, 2016
Am a Civil Engineer by profession, and I must categorically tell u that this bridge is safe and very okay, those circular pipes u see are calles piles, which are used to support d pile cap which are those thick rectangular blocks u see. And the pile caps in turn carries the columns which then carries the horizontal road slab. Typically, all bridges and built like this, and I mean piles are sank into the ground at an established depth, and then are connected together to support the cap. The best of bridges in the world are built like this, there is no two way abt it. The only challenge I see here is dat, there seems to be an unusual decrease in the surface water level thus exposing d piles which are supposed to be deep inside the water( it could be as a result of climate change, or excess runoff of d river into a sea, etc). So dear, there is no issue wit this bridge.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Osinbajo's Mother Sees Him After Helicopter Crash / Senator Bamidele: Why My Colleagues Don’t Want Our Pay Package Published / Lalong, Wike, Tambuwal And Bello At Benin Airport This Morning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.