Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,459 members, 7,816,079 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:51 AM

Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually (17723 Views)

MTN, Glo, Airtel Set To Increase Data, Call Tariffs / NCC Orders MTN, Glo & Airtel & Others To Extend 30-day Data Expiry Period / Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by Nobody: 9:33am On Mar 14, 2016
Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by WebSurfer(m): 9:33am On Mar 14, 2016
Criminals
Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by emmanuelpopson(m): 9:34am On Mar 14, 2016
quite impressive .... good moves by the lawmakers
Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by Sijo01(f): 9:34am On Mar 14, 2016
hensben:
A lot has really happened in this country.

PDP members ah- e nor go better for una

So na PDP members be NCC smh
Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by Nobody: 9:35am On Mar 14, 2016
markidoo:
I hate does messages and they come especially when am expecting a credit alert. Airtel's messages are better bt Mtn no dey add value to person mobile activities at all.
airtel is still d best ahswr.
Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by markidoo(m): 9:35am On Mar 14, 2016
PeteVlogger:
Chai see open scam. Mehn na to start my own telephone company
u want to own a telephone company or u want to become a mobile network provider? Both are lucrative scammers when they touch down in Naija.
Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by ednut1(m): 9:36am On Mar 14, 2016
Yeye
Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by Nobody: 9:36am On Mar 14, 2016
Gbam!...101% supported!!..those dudes are crooks!!!
Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by omolola15(m): 9:39am On Mar 14, 2016
Na mtn own worse pass. Dey no dey let person rest. Subscribe this subscribe that.
Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by hensben(m): 9:39am On Mar 14, 2016
Sijo01:

So na PDP members be NCC smh
To me they are the cause of everything wrong with Nigeria.
Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by sidneyj(m): 9:42am On Mar 14, 2016
now I can differentiate thieves from criminals
I see pple collecting their share for encouraging corruption
Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by joseph1832(m): 9:42am On Mar 14, 2016
Blackberrybabes:

Ripples Nigeria findings have uncovered that GSM service providers in the country defraud Nigerians to a whooping tune of about N547bn every year.
Nigeria has 149,787,120 active Global System for Mobile communication (GSM) lines as at November 2015 according to figures from the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC).

At N50 deductible on SMS every five days of subscription, invariably, Nigerians lose over N7.5 billion every five days, and N547b yearly through such unsolicited SMS.
This is not counting other unsolicited SMS that attracts N100 per week, and unsolicited calls that also attract separate charges.
In a move to address the situation, the House of Representatives during the weekend suggested a fine of N5million for GSM providers involved in unsolicited calls and text messages.
According to the lawmakers, unsolicited text messages are a breach to the privacy of phone users and a contravention of their fundamental rights as provided for in the Constitution.
Sponsor of the bill, Hon. Ali Madaki, said the Bill became imperative, as there was no law in the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) Act specifically on text messages, which makes it possible for telecommunications service providers to fleece their subscribers through such unsolicited SMS.

According to him, the consumers are at the mercy of the service providers, who have taken full advantage of the absence of such laws to continue defrauding Nigerians.
Equally in the bill, online telemarketing is prohibited without prior consent or application by a subscriber.
However, Nicholas Ossai (PDP, Delta) among others, said unsolicited text messages does not need to stand alone as laws, as the NCC Act has enough laws to address the issue.
Expectedly, Speaker Yakubu Dogara and the House Leader, Femi Gbajabiamila noted that privacy of subscribers should be an issue which the NCC Act was silent on.

The bill was unanimously passed after it was put to a voice vote by the Speaker, who said opinion of experts and stakeholders would be required at the public hearing stage to seek the opinion of Nigerians about unsolicited text messages.
While the debates continue, service providers continue to have a field day, smiling to the bank with the billions fleeced from Nigerian GSM providers.

http://www.blackberrybabes.com/2016/03/unwanted-callssms-mtn-glo-airtel-others.html
Ripples Nigeria made the findings, not you, so why didn't you use them as your source instead of using your depraved blog as the source as if the findings was done by you?

Seun, I just fail to understand why you let this individual revel in plagiarizing any, and everything.

1 Like

Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by reyin(m): 9:42am On Mar 14, 2016
let support our lawmakers on this one
Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by Missmossy(f): 9:44am On Mar 14, 2016
For real??

Its really to the extreme.
Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by tgmservice: 9:46am On Mar 14, 2016
R
Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by Justicealh3(m): 9:46am On Mar 14, 2016
What did Reps knw abt damm networks
Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by Sijo01(f): 9:49am On Mar 14, 2016
hensben:
To me they are the cause of everything wrong with Nigeria.

Blame NCC and stop pursuing shadow.
Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by Nobody: 9:49am On Mar 14, 2016
richidinho:
This is what i experience everyday, dont know how to stop it

Sender: MTNPlay@
Message: Your Learn English weekly subscription has been renewed. your service will now expire on..(the next day date)

ULEN to 700

1 Like

Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by jumpMANN44(m): 9:52am On Mar 14, 2016
abeg fine that baskard Etisalat first. i load 2h i nor use am, dem just deduct 50 card loan, come deduct 150 fr no just cause

Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by hensben(m): 9:52am On Mar 14, 2016
Sijo01:

Blame NCC and stop pursuing shadow.
Come, nor insult me this morning. I nor be ya mate.
Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by ofonike: 9:53am On Mar 14, 2016
They should be fined more than 5m.
Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by LEXYCOM: 9:53am On Mar 14, 2016
Good, emptyN be warned
Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by Sprintx24(m): 9:55am On Mar 14, 2016
Good morning Guys, there is a secret code to unsubscribe from every ad and unsolicited messages. Strictly for mtn subscribers though, this is mtn best kept secret. Quickly dail *123*5*4# and follow the on screen instructions. Do this and thank me later.....
Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by AsanwaKC(f): 10:02am On Mar 14, 2016
what of my data subscription that always disappear a day after subscribing...it got to a point I called customer care..soteee..all of them sabi..me for line, as God may have it one of them took interest..in me..now I de get free data.

2 Likes

Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by samjadinero(m): 10:03am On Mar 14, 2016
wolesmile:
Another method is through flash message. Most people will click OK without knowing, and before u know it, you have subscribed to one yeye package...

And that's #50 off your account every week.
I be customer for this. I dun cry dun beg.
Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by Sijo01(f): 10:03am On Mar 14, 2016
hensben:
Come, nor insult me this morning. I nor be ya mate.

Lmao @insult. Where you see the insult na Abeg take a cup of chilled water or hot coffee depending on the weather condition in your crib.
Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by hensben(m): 10:08am On Mar 14, 2016
Sijo01:

Lmao @insult. Where you see the insult na Abeg take a cup of chilled water or hot coffee depending on the weather condition in your crib.
Ok NCC and PDP are to blame to me.
Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by donodion(m): 10:11am On Mar 14, 2016
Blackberrybabes:

Ripples Nigeria findings have uncovered that GSM service providers in the country defraud Nigerians to a whooping tune of about N547bn every year.
Nigeria has 149,787,120 active Global System for Mobile communication (GSM) lines as at November 2015 according to figures from the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC).

At N50 deductible on SMS every five days of subscription, invariably, Nigerians lose over N7.5 billion every five days, and N547b yearly through such unsolicited SMS.
This is not counting other unsolicited SMS that attracts N100 per week, and unsolicited calls that also attract separate charges.
In a move to address the situation, the House of Representatives during the weekend suggested a fine of N5million for GSM providers involved in unsolicited calls and text messages.

http://www.blackberrybabes.com/2016/03/unwanted-callssms-mtn-glo-airtel-others.html

Question

If telecoms service providers scams Nigerians to the tune of N7.5 billion weekly..then to whose pocket will the N5 million X 4 = N20 million be going to?

Shouldnt the subscribers be given end of the week reward to the tune of at least N250 worth of free airtime sms and data? afterall subscribers are the scammed not NCC.
Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by kachnov(m): 10:14am On Mar 14, 2016
Don't mind those idiots,later they will say people should use cheats.
Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by Danfuster(m): 10:14am On Mar 14, 2016
This na wetin we dey talk ooo... We never pack Ifa commot for ground, ifa prophesy don come true. Mtn is a bona-fide bastard angry. I get this all the time tho, be careful if you use the OK button to wake your phone.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by ASOLAWAL(m): 10:22am On Mar 14, 2016
UnknownT:
The one that made me give up on MTN was when a certain number (+55515) called me, I picked the call and it was about Catholic Cathecism. After the voice prompt had finished blabbing and asked me to press 1 to subscribe, I dropped the call. Then an sms entered my phone that #50 had been deducted from my account for subscribing to Catholic Cathecism, I was shocked. Called them and they told me that they can't do anything that its a 3rd party bla bla bla and there was nothing they could do. I just jejely blacklisted the number. Since the time this thing happened till now, that number still calls me
I had similar experience that forced me to call MTN customer care, i was told the N50 deducted cannot be reversed despite the fact that it was deducted without my knowledge. It happened during Muslim fasting period, I just use the opportunity to scare the agent that picked the call that i will use the rest of the fasting period to raised heavy curse on the entire staff if they fail to stop that fraudulent act/call/sms on my line. Since then, i never experience such again.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Facebook Is Down / Etisalat Night And Weekend Internet Bundle / Android Q – See The New Features Google Plans On Releasing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.