Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,657 members, 7,809,483 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:25 AM

Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others (26817 Views)

Nigerians Spent N3.66trn On Calls, Data In Two Years — NCC / Why Nigerians Should Pay 9% Tax For SMS, Data, MMS / Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by ericuzor(m): 5:03am On Aug 18, 2016
By Naomi Uzor
Speaking at a stakeholders’ meeting organised by the Lagos Chambers of Commerce and Industry, LCCI, on CST bill which seeks to levy nine per cent on subscribers for the use of the various communication services, Shittu said the outcome of deliberations on the bill would form the basis of his advice to the President.

The services include voice call, SMS, MMS, Data usage from telecommunication service providers, internet service providers and Pay TV Stations.

He noted that introduction of new taxes without harmonising existing ones would put pressure on the country’s tax system thereby making it unattractive to investors.

According to the minister”This may also be counter-productive in the long run for our targets on broadband penetration. Our ICT Roadmap gives fresh impetus for implementing existing policies and reviewing any that is inimical to the growth of the sector. My focus on any tax regime will be to align any process that will stimulate the economy and also ensure that the tax system is efficient by widening the tax net. It is also to create an effective framework for tax compliance to protect the poor and vulnerable in the society who nonetheless have to use telecoms services for social inclusion and financial services.”

He said that the government’s efforts at increasing its revenue made the bill worthy of consideration.

“I have been reliably informed that the projected earnings from this effort is over N20 billion every month, which is an attraction to the government for funding our budget deficits. I must be quick to say that this government has a human face twined around its decisions,” Shittu said. The minister said that the government would provide an enabling environment for the ICT and telecommunication sector to thrive through the enactment of relevant legislation.

Mrs Nike Akande, President of LCCI called for a friendly tax environment especially in view of the difficult business environment.

“We know that the government is seeking to diversify its revenue base in the light of dwindling oil revenue. But it is also true that the private sector players will like to see an investment friendly tax environment, especially in the light of the prevailing high cost of doing business in the country. It is important to balance these two positions.”

Mr Bimbo Atilola, Chairman, LCCI Taxation and Commercial Law Committee said that the bill negated the principle of neutrality in taxation, as it would affect consumers’ behaviour through reduced spending. He appealed that the passage of the bill be suspended to allow for rapid growth of the telecoms sector, in line with the Nigerian National Broadband Plan.

“If the bill must be passed into law, NASS should make the telecoms sector exempted under VAT Act and the rate reduced from nine per cent to five per cent. There is a need to protect the ultimate interest of the final consumers of the service,” Atilola said.

Mr Taiwo Oyedele, Partner, PriceWaterCoopers said that the N20 billion monthly projected revenue from the bill was unrealistic and based on assumption.

According to him, increased taxation will reduce the consumption pattern of consumers, lower investment in the sector, thereby translating to reduced revenue.

Mr Teniola Olusola, President, Association of Telecommunications Companies of Nigeria (ATCON) said that their members were overburdened with multiple taxation.

He urged the government to discontinue the bill, adding that it would reduce inflow of FDI into the sector, reduce subscribers level of data consumption and affect contribution of the sector to GDP. Engr Gbenga Adebayo, President, Association of Licensed Telecommunication Operators of Nigeria (ALTON) said that the bill if passed into law would retard the growth of the sector.

Source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/08/nigerians-pay-9-tax-calls-sms-mms-data-others/
Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by bedford101(m): 5:14am On Aug 18, 2016
Fools

85 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by yang(m): 5:19am On Aug 18, 2016
Hehehehe

The zoo in its glory

A criminal entreprise

Now they want to tax data usage

Ndi ara

The old goat shittu is not talking about making every home access fibre

Its how to steal money from the poor when they make a call

137 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by Pidggin(f): 5:27am On Aug 18, 2016
They tax my bank transactions now they want to tax my call credit too?

106 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by segzyj(m): 5:55am On Aug 18, 2016
Barawo Shege banza

68 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by Iscoalarcon: 5:57am On Aug 18, 2016
SMH for this Government embarassedBad news everywhere anyway today is my birthday I'm expecting a call from Dangote cool tongue and Bill Gates just like he did to Omotola's son cheesy grin

149 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by hornybee(f): 6:15am On Aug 18, 2016
Lemme just buy fuel for thunder generator. No b small thunder go faya una.

90 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by Turks: 6:27am On Aug 18, 2016
Kuku Tax us for being alive

192 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by Lajet: 6:28am On Aug 18, 2016
The keep on increasing everything and Zombies keep on supporting this corupt government .there's no policy Apc have make for the interest of common man instead the are increasing hardship in the country

62 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by lonelydora: 6:28am On Aug 18, 2016
I regret supporting and voting for Buhari. He has nothing to offer. Confused government.

150 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by centmichael101(m): 6:28am On Aug 18, 2016
Buhari the tax collector

46 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by dayoungmoney1: 6:29am On Aug 18, 2016
Govt of the tax masters. Thunder fire all the people making life hard for good citizens of naija.

102 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by kbams241: 6:30am On Aug 18, 2016
* Under Goodluck Jonathan...
Orezi: 1million in my pocket... Davido: Emi omo baba olowo...
* Under Mohammodu Buhari...
Orezi: Double ur hustle
Davido: Biko yem ego
Nigeria na only GOD fit save us

184 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by Ekeretom(m): 6:30am On Aug 18, 2016
Why not kill us at once??....... While they get allowance for sms, data, mms, etc we buy from our meagre salaries.... Still they want to take all away from us. Rubbish.

64 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by Piuscrown: 6:30am On Aug 18, 2016
My mind is out of this country. Patapata.
So i will graduate now, start working, and those people will collect everything. Instead of looking for ways to make information cheaper, they looking for ways to make it cost, didn't they know the value of information in national development?

45 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by dhakingpin(m): 6:31am On Aug 18, 2016
you go still tax us for having a girlfriend or buying vasleing

60 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by Nobody: 6:31am On Aug 18, 2016
I love this government, never disappointing.

9 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by Mudash(m): 6:31am On Aug 18, 2016
Hnnnn

1 Like

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by Nobody: 6:31am On Aug 18, 2016
I totally agree with this President of ATCON, this would worsen the already bad case of double taxation.

Additionally, I think this shows a total lack of ingenuity and ideas. I say so because, here they are, so excited about introducing this as an answer to the drive of the government for revenue, forgetting that those who would have to pay are already crumbling under the weight of poverty and lack. They just cannot think of alternative ways of bolstering the economy, so, they gloss over the problem and take the easy route which would culminate in adding more stress to people.

The most painful part of it all is that, this sounds like a bill which President Buhari would speedily give his assent to.

47 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by CaptainBomb(m): 6:32am On Aug 18, 2016
This people wan finish us

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by abiambo(m): 6:32am On Aug 18, 2016
Wahala dey o.... Buhari na till we die finish b4 u know that there's economic crunch?
Stop adding pressure on ordinary Nigerians

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by kilmix: 6:33am On Aug 18, 2016
lonelydora:
I regret supporting and voting for Buhari. He has nothing to offer. Confused government.

I wanted to give you free Wailers form but because of this Govt u voted in, you have to pay 200% tax for the air you will breath while filling the form.

79 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by bilulu(m): 6:33am On Aug 18, 2016
instead of dem to make policies dat will better d services provided by network providers dey re thinking of how to include tax....... waiting for one zombie to come n say d ryt step in d ryt direction let me ask him wat dey ve done wit d #50 from credit account

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by nastyesco(m): 6:34am On Aug 18, 2016
I think this Govt is getting things wrong. Truth is a thorough Tax system isn't in place in Nigeria and because Govt needs other sources of revenue, They will need to explore other means for generating revenue. But the approach of this Govt is totally wrong. The telecoms system is already organised and Tax revenue is in place. There are many sectors which they can explore to generate tax. Simply put the Govt is just a very lazy one, they can't dare to innovate because they are not in tune with current practices. Rather than hire professionals to assist it has been mediocre appointments based on loyalty....Rubbish

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by hamrad(m): 6:35am On Aug 18, 2016
This government na wa o

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by jd3trice(m): 6:35am On Aug 18, 2016
This is totally unacceptable! This guys should know that 2019 isn't far away if they continue this way.... Beauty of democracy.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by hemucology(m): 6:35am On Aug 18, 2016
Noted

1 Like

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by Victorakats(m): 6:36am On Aug 18, 2016
How did we get into this mess really?

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by Flyingngel(m): 6:38am On Aug 18, 2016
Ok

1 Like

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by verabetsy(f): 6:39am On Aug 18, 2016
this article is exclusively for Nigeria undergraduates

if you are not a university student, please don't click

http://sagaciousguru..com.ng/2016/08/students-take-advantage-of-your.html?m=1

1 Like

Re: Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others by destruction11: 6:39am On Aug 18, 2016
Hian!! Na wa o

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Gionee M2 Mini / Cube Talk 9X Review & Discussion Thread - Best Tablet Ever / Pictures From The Boom J8 Launch In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.