Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,788 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:56 PM

Making Your Own Cheap Organic Fungicides - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Making Your Own Cheap Organic Fungicides (7026 Views)

Where Can I Get Fungicides, Herbicides And Pesticides in Lagos? / My Organic Poultry Project (broilers) / Appropriate Use Of Fungicides (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Making Your Own Cheap Organic Fungicides by organicfoods(m): 9:28am On Mar 14, 2016
To tackle black spot and white powdery mildew on your farm, you can try this formulation.

2 tablespoons of baking soda
1 tablespoon of black soap
4 litres of water( free from chlorine, rainwater is better)

Mix all ingredients thoroughly and keep agitated. Then spray plants. Spray in the morning and evening only.

You can add one teaspoon of neem oil to halt activities of disease causing pests.

3 Shares

Re: Making Your Own Cheap Organic Fungicides by organicfoods(m): 3:13pm On Mar 14, 2016
Aspirin Fungal Spray For Tomatoes Blight Powdery Mildew

The aspirin used as an over-the-counter pain medicine helps to treat powdery mildew attacking your tomato plants. You must use uncoated aspirin tablets measuring 325 milligrams and dissolve two tablets in 1 (Litre) of water. A garden sprayer or squirt bottle works well to apply the aspirin spray to the tomato plants and allows you to thoroughly coat the entire plant, including the undersides of the leaves. If after a week powdery mildew symptoms persist, reapply the aspirin treatment to the tomatoes. According to the University of Florida, testing conducted by the University of Rhode Island concluded that tomato plants sprayed with the aspirin fungal spray yielded a higher crop than tomato plants treated with commercial fertilizers.

read more here: http://homeguides.sfgate.com/natural-remedies-tomato-blight-powdery-mildew-43797.html
Re: Making Your Own Cheap Organic Fungicides by Newway2(m): 9:54am On Mar 17, 2016
Small-holder farmers can tremendously slice production costs by using urine and wood ash mixture to deal with crop pests and diseases.

This method has worked for thousands of Ugandan farmers who are saving more than 40 per cent of losses to pest and diseases.

The farmers in Masindi, Kapchorwa, Mukono, Buike and Nwoya districts are producing chemical-free fruits, vegetables, tubers, nuts grains, among other crops.

The commonest crops include bananas, oranges, cotton, maize, tomatoes, groundnuts, watermelon, cabbages, simsim, onions and potatoes.

Urine and wood ash are easily available in the farm. Urine can be obtained from humans and animals while wood ash can is collected from cooking places.

BENEFITS:

A mixture of the two kills small soft-skinned pests like aphids, maize stalk borers, banana weevils, mealy bags on jack fruits, among others.

The concoction also controls coffee leaf rust and groundnuts blight.

In addition, it enriches soil nutrients by adding nitrogen from urine and potassium and sodium from the wood ash.

PREPARATION:

The farmers use different preparation procedures to meet needs of different crops and diseases.

According to the Food and Agricultural Organisation’s Teca segment, dilution of urine is core in reducing ion concentration, which can burn the crops.

Urine must also be tightly sealed after harvesting to prevent escape of ammonia-the nitrogen component- and contamination from external microbes.

Dilution involves adding clean water, with a half a litre of water against two litres of urine beig the most common.

But other farmers use one litre of water against a similar amount of urine.

Although Teca does not give specific measurements of ash, the firewood by products is more or less harmless to the soils and indeed crops.

Before application, it can be filtred to remove big residues, which can block the nozzle of the pump.

The potassium and sodium in the ash helps in reducing soil acidity because they form alkaline ions. This boosts crop growth because the ions help in movement of nutrients in plants.

RATIOS:

Urine is kept in the shade for three days before use.

For aphids in passion fruits and blight in groundnuts, the farmers add half a litre of clean water to two litres of urine and some ash. The mixture is kept in the shade for another three days ahead spraying.  

It is applied immediately after the appearance of the pests and a repeats is done in two weeks.

The same procedure is followed in controlling maize stalk borers but application is done between the fourth and sixth weeks after planting.

Subsequent applications are done on seven to 14 days intervals.

It has is being used in Masindi District.

Kapchorwa District cotton farmers store urine for two weeks before adding half a litre to two litres of water and ash.

The mixture is left for another two weeks before application.

Aphids on oranges and jackfruits can be eliminated by adding 20 table spoonfuls to one litre of urine before spraying.

RISKS:

Animals like goats and cows will not feed on these crops because of the urine smell.

FAO says the preventive mechanism has to be done with care to avoid increasing soil salt, which will affect growth in the future.

Similarly, urine from unknown sources could increase risks of spread of diseases, therefore, it should be avoided.
Re: Making Your Own Cheap Organic Fungicides by organicfoods(m): 10:41pm On Mar 18, 2016
Newway2:
Small-holder farmers can tremendously slice production costs by using urine and wood ash mixture to deal with crop pests and diseases.

This method has worked for thousands of Ugandan farmers who are saving more than 40 per cent of losses to pest and diseases.

The farmers in Masindi, Kapchorwa, Mukono, Buike and Nwoya districts are producing chemical-free fruits, vegetables, tubers, nuts grains, among other crops.

The commonest crops include bananas, oranges, cotton, maize, tomatoes, groundnuts, watermelon, cabbages, simsim, onions and potatoes.

Urine and wood ash are easily available in the farm. Urine can be obtained from humans and animals while wood ash can is collected from cooking places.

BENEFITS:

A mixture of the two kills small soft-skinned pests like aphids, maize stalk borers, banana weevils, mealy bags on jack fruits, among others.

The concoction also controls coffee leaf rust and groundnuts blight.

In addition, it enriches soil nutrients by adding nitrogen from urine and potassium and sodium from the wood ash.

PREPARATION:

The farmers use different preparation procedures to meet needs of different crops and diseases.

According to the Food and Agricultural Organisation’s Teca segment, dilution of urine is core in reducing ion concentration, which can burn the crops.

Urine must also be tightly sealed after harvesting to prevent escape of ammonia-the nitrogen component- and contamination from external microbes.

Dilution involves adding clean water, with a half a litre of water against two litres of urine beig the most common.

But other farmers use one litre of water against a similar amount of urine.

Although Teca does not give specific measurements of ash, the firewood by products is more or less harmless to the soils and indeed crops.

Before application, it can be filtred to remove big residues, which can block the nozzle of the pump.

The potassium and sodium in the ash helps in reducing soil acidity because they form alkaline ions. This boosts crop growth because the ions help in movement of nutrients in plants.

RATIOS:

Urine is kept in the shade for three days before use.

For aphids in passion fruits and blight in groundnuts, the farmers add half a litre of clean water to two litres of urine and some ash. The mixture is kept in the shade for another three days ahead spraying.  

It is applied immediately after the appearance of the pests and a repeats is done in two weeks.

The same procedure is followed in controlling maize stalk borers but application is done between the fourth and sixth weeks after planting.

Subsequent applications are done on seven to 14 days intervals.

It has is being used in Masindi District.

Kapchorwa District cotton farmers store urine for two weeks before adding half a litre to two litres of water and ash.

The mixture is left for another two weeks before application.

Aphids on oranges and jackfruits can be eliminated by adding 20 table spoonfuls to one litre of urine before spraying.

RISKS:

Animals like goats and cows will not feed on these crops because of the urine smell.

FAO says the preventive mechanism has to be done with care to avoid increasing soil salt, which will affect growth in the future.

Similarly, urine from unknown sources could increase risks of spread of diseases, therefore, it should be avoided.
What a worthy addendum! thanks bro

3 Likes

Re: Making Your Own Cheap Organic Fungicides by nwabuwa: 12:11am On Mar 19, 2016
Keep it up sir

1 Like

Re: Making Your Own Cheap Organic Fungicides by organicfoods(m): 10:38am On Mar 24, 2016
Making Powerful Fungicides and Pesticides from Garlic, Ginger and Neem oil.
We will be using fermentation methods to make this powerful organic insecticides.

Materials Needed
1. Ginger
2. Garlic
3. Neem oil
4. Palm wine
5. water (unchlorinated water)

Method
To be continued:
Re: Making Your Own Cheap Organic Fungicides by Mercie123(f): 7:45pm On May 25, 2016
organicfoods:
We will be using fermentation methods to make this powerful organic insecticides.

Materials Needed
1. Ginger
2. Garlic
3. Neem oil
4. Palm wine

Method
To be continued:

Please continue!
Re: Making Your Own Cheap Organic Fungicides by Healthilyea: 2:48pm On May 30, 2016
organicfoods:

Materials Needed
1. Ginger
2. Garlic
3. Neem oil
4. Palm wine

Method
To be continued:

Following!
Re: Making Your Own Cheap Organic Fungicides by organicfoods(m): 11:38pm On Jun 11, 2016

Materials Needed
1. Ginger
2. Garlic
3. Neem oil
4. Palm wine

Method

Ginger and Garlic are one of the most amazing organic ingredients to produce fungicides. First I have to apologize for the little delay in updating this thread. We were busy conducting demonstration on seaweeds liquid fertilizer. The result was astonishing, and I can tell you a liter of the liquid will sufficiently cover one hectare of vegetables with guaranty, it will be release to the market this week....amazing you would say. Anyway back to the topic, blend equal amount of ginger and garlic separately, of course add water to make it blend well. After blending if you have one liter add one liter of palm wine each to the ginger and garlic separately in two containers. Allow this to stay for 24 hours, then add 1kg of brown sugar each to the broth...allow this to stay for 7 days. Strain the two liquids and add one liter of alcohol each to the broth. The alcohol will halt all microbial activities and extract nutrients from the broths. Allow to stay for four days and your broth is ready for use. You can now mix the two broths together...I love the sweet smelling aroma of this mixture.

Uses
Insecticides: When combined with neem oil and hot pepper you have the most potent organic insecticide to battle any pests. Use 1 table spoon for every liter of water for application.

Immune booster for Animals. This solution will help with improving the immune system of animals in organic farm significantly.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Making Your Own Cheap Organic Fungicides by JohnNgene: 6:27am On Jun 12, 2016
This information is really helpful.

I didn't know my favourite spices, ginger and garlic, can be used to make pesticides. Wow!

Thanks organicfoods.
Re: Making Your Own Cheap Organic Fungicides by Mercie123(f): 1:14pm On Jun 12, 2016
organicfoods:

Materials Needed
1. Ginger
2. Garlic
3. Neem oil
4. Palm wine

Method

Ginger and Garlic are one of the most amazing organic ingredients to produce fungicides. First I have to apologize for the little delay in updating this thread. We were busy conducting demonstration on seaweeds liquid fertilizer. The result was astonishing, and I can tell you a liter of the liquid will sufficiently cover one hectare of vegetables with guaranty, it will be release to the market this week....amazing you would say. Anyway back to the topic, blend equal amount of ginger and garlic separately, of course add water to make it blend well. After blending if you have one liter add one liter of palm wine each to the ginger and garlic separately in two containers. Allow this to stay for 24 hours, then add 1kg of brown sugar each to the broth...allow this to stay for 7 days. Strain the two liquids and add one liter of alcohol each to the broth. The alcohol will halt all microbial activities and extract nutrients from the broths. Allow to stay for four days and your broth is ready for use. You can now mix the two broths together...I love the sweet smelling aroma of this mixture.

Uses
Insecticides: When combined with neem oil and hot pepper you have the most potent organic insecticide to battle any pests. Use 1 table spoon for every liter of water for application.

Immune booster for Animals. This solution will help with improving the immune system of animals in organic farm significantly.

Thanks for coming back on this. Please what type of alcohol should be used? Beer? Vodka? Or just any type? And please what's seaweed in Yoruba?
Re: Making Your Own Cheap Organic Fungicides by omejeo: 4:10pm On Jun 12, 2016
FOR ANIMAL DO WE MIX TO THEIR H2O OR FEED AND HOW MANY QUANTITY TO BE GIVEN THANKS
Re: Making Your Own Cheap Organic Fungicides by organicfoods(m): 5:15pm On Jun 12, 2016
Mercie123:

Thanks for coming back on this. Please what type of alcohol should be used? Beer? Vodka? Or just any type? And please what's seaweed in Yoruba?
Vodka... Ogogoro. Me I know wetin yoruba dey call seaweeds ooo
Re: Making Your Own Cheap Organic Fungicides by organicfoods(m): 5:22pm On Jun 12, 2016
omejeo:
FOR ANIMAL DO WE MIX TO THEIR H2O OR FEED AND HOW MANY QUANTITY TO BE GIVEN THANKS
For animals, 1 tablespoon for 3kg. It enhances growth and boost their immune system significantly. One table spoon in 3 litres of drinking water. Excellent antibiotics for pigs, cattle, goats and chicken. You won't be adding neem oil oo. Your lacto bacillus will come with seaweeds extract when you have them on Wednesday... I delayed it so I can incorporate it. All mixtures must be used immediately and not to be kept.. Also all left over water should be thrown away and not reused the second day.
Re: Making Your Own Cheap Organic Fungicides by Mercie123(f): 2:53pm On Jun 13, 2016
organicfoods:
Vodka... Ogogoro. Me I know wetin yoruba dey call seaweeds ooo

lol...I get you
Re: Making Your Own Cheap Organic Fungicides by santuse: 6:15pm On Jun 13, 2016
organicfoods:

Materials Needed
1. Ginger
2. Garlic
3. Neem oil
4. Palm wine

Method

Uses

Very Educative keep it up organicfood
Re: Making Your Own Cheap Organic Fungicides by Newway2(m): 10:29pm On Jul 01, 2016
I hv used ds fungicides. But, d mildew is still present. What else can I do? Or use?

organicfoods:
To tackle black spot and white powdery mildew on your farm, you can try this formulation.

Mix all ingredients thoroughly and keep agitated. Then spray plants. Spray in the morning and evening only.

You can add one teaspoon of neem oil to halt activities of disease causing pests.
Re: Making Your Own Cheap Organic Fungicides by organicfoods(m): 10:43pm On Jul 01, 2016
Newway2:
I hv used ds fungicides. But, d mildew is still present. What else can I do? Or use?

Pls Use the garlic Ginger extract. It will halt the spread...what you may be having could be downy mildew
Re: Making Your Own Cheap Organic Fungicides by Dadanoah(m): 11:22pm On Aug 30, 2016
Mercie123:

pls organicfood use for what? pls is it for insecticide or fertilizer? pls enlight me more
Re: Making Your Own Cheap Organic Fungicides by Seun(m): 9:05pm On Oct 28, 2017
I think commercial fungicides would be cheaper and more effective.
Re: Making Your Own Cheap Organic Fungicides by Gadgetmobil(m): 9:47pm On Oct 28, 2017
following
Re: Making Your Own Cheap Organic Fungicides by FarmTech(m): 11:14am On Oct 29, 2017
Seun:
I think commercial fungicides would be cheaper and more effective.
I think so too. I'm yet to see where organic farming is practiced on a large scale. I think it will be risky to rely solely on organic. I prefer combining both.

1 Like

Re: Making Your Own Cheap Organic Fungicides by organicfoods(m): 7:50am On Nov 04, 2017
FarmTech:

I think so too. I'm yet to see where organic farming is practiced on a large scale. I think it will be risky to rely solely on organic. I prefer combining both.
Have you heard about @tinworthorganic farm or OPE Farm, They are very big organic farm doing great in Nigeria. I am also developing mine... When it's done, it will be open for many to replicate. Agreed you have to be special to achieve results.

2 Likes

Re: Making Your Own Cheap Organic Fungicides by Nobody: 4:12pm On Nov 04, 2017
OP, I really like your work. God bless you. I have a wide experience with organic and inorganic.

What do I like eating? Of course organic; however, I know it is a scarce commodity.

As a food producer, what do I want to produce? Of course, it is what gives me maximum profit.

I agree with the two comments above me that organic farming cannot be practiced on large hectares or land. However, it can be practised on commercial scale. How? Organic farmers should learn how to grow vertically and they should use greenhouses. If they do this, they can easily use acceptable organic fungicides and pesticides.

Note that I wrote acceptable fungicides and pesticides. Why did I use the word "acceptable"? Now, let us read again the first post in this thread:
organicfoods:

Of course baking soda is salt. It is Sodium Bicarbonate. Is it natural? Black soap is not 100% natural too. There are chemicals in it.

Look at this again.
organicfoods:
Aspirin Fungal Spray For Tomatoes Blight Powdery Mildew

The aspirin used as an over-the-counter pain medicine helps to treat powdery mildew attacking your tomato plants. You must use uncoated aspirin tablets measuring 325 milligrams and dissolve two tablets in 1 (Litre) of water. A garden sprayer or squirt bottle works well to apply the aspirin spray to the tomato plants and allows you to thoroughly coat the entire plant, including the undersides of the leaves. If after a week powdery mildew symptoms persist, reapply the aspirin treatment to the tomatoes. According to the University of Florida, testing conducted by the University of Rhode Island concluded that tomato plants sprayed with the aspirin fungal spray yielded a higher crop than tomato plants treated with commercial fertilizers.

read more here: http://homeguides.sfgate.com/natural-remedies-tomato-blight-powdery-mildew-43797.html

Are we saying Aspirin does not contain any chemical? smiley

Also, organic farmers use Epsom Salt which is Magnesium Sulphate. Is it natural?

In another post I wrote about usage of salts (chemicals) in aquaponics to adjust PH - potassium hydroxide, calcium hydroxide, calcium carbonate, and also supplement iron, boron, and maybe any deficient nutrient. What do these tell us? There are salts or chemicals which are accepted edible (used in food).

Seriously, you might need very strong fungicides at times and it is why copper based fungicides are accepted in organic farming. I can give you examples of such which are commonly used. So, is copper edible?

I like to point you to mushroom cultivation. Here we see that urea, calcium based fertilizer, magnesium fertilizer etc are mixed with sawdust as the media. Waooooo! And mushroom is considered organic food with vitamin. But tell an organic farmer to use urea to plant tomato, hell will be loosed on earth. Anyway, I do not like to get involved with organic vs inorganic debate.

The issue with inorganic is not usage of fertilizers in my own opinion but usage of pesticides, fungicides and herbicides. Anyway, I have proved that organic fungicides are not 100% natural. Well, the issue is plants wash these chemicals naturally from their system if used correctly. It is why certain percentage of chemicals are allowed which cannot harm us since all the chemicals cannot be washed away. Most Nigerian farmers do not know how to use these chemicals as the residues are always super high.

One other issue, organic farmers grow bacteria and fungi to ammend bad soil. You must be careful with it; else, you are on your way to the hospital. EColi is deadly, Staph is terrible. So, be smart.

In conclusion, organic is good. It is lovely but there is nothing like 100% organic. I hate hearing it. I do not want to hear it. And if anyone feels he can handle inorganic, he or she must be responsible with it. Do not spray chemical a day to harvest. If you do, you are evil.

OP, i appreciate you. May God bless your work. This thread is loaded with info. You have my respect.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Making Your Own Cheap Organic Fungicides by organicfoods(m): 5:28pm On Nov 04, 2017
fluentinfor:
OP, I really like your work. God bless you. I have a wide experience with organic and inorganic.

What do I like eating? Of course organic; however, I know it is a scarce commodity.

As a food producer, what do I want to produce? Of course, it is what gives me maximum profit.

I agree with the two comments above me that organic farming cannot be practiced on large hectares or land. However, it can be practised on commercial scale. How? Organic farmers should learn how to grow vertically and they should use greenhouses. If they do this, they can easily use acceptable organic fungicides and pesticides.

Note that I wrote acceptable fungicides and pesticides. Why did I use the word "acceptable"? Now, let us read again the first post in this thread:

Of course baking soda is salt. It is Sodium Bicarbonate. Is it natural? Black soap is not 100% natural too. There are chemicals in it.

Look at this again.

Are we saying Aspirin does not contain any chemical? smiley

Also, organic farmers use Epsom Salt which is Magnesium Sulphate. Is it natural?

In another post I wrote about usage of salts (chemicals) in aquaponics to adjust PH - potassium hydroxide, calcium hydroxide, calcium carbonate, and also supplement iron, boron, and maybe any deficient nutrient. What do these tell us? There are salts or chemicals which are accepted edible (used in food).

Seriously, you might need very strong fungicides at times and it is why copper based fungicides are accepted in organic farming. I can give you examples of such which are commonly used. So, is copper edible?

I like to point you to mushroom cultivation. Here we see that urea, calcium based fertilizer, magnesium fertilizer etc are mixed with sawdust as the media. Waooooo! And mushroom is considered organic food with vitamin. But tell an organic farmer to use urea to plant tomato, hell will be loosed on earth. Anyway, I do not like to get involved with organic vs inorganic debate.

The issue with inorganic is not usage of fertilizers in my own opinion but usage of pesticides, fungicides and herbicides. Anyway, I have proved that organic fungicides are not 100% natural. Well, the issue is plants wash these chemicals naturally from their system if used correctly. It is why certain percentage of chemicals are allowed which cannot harm us since all the chemicals cannot be washed away. Most Nigerian farmers do not know how to use these chemicals as the residues are always super high.

One other issue, organic farmers grow bacteria and fungi to ammend bad soil. You must be careful with it; else, you are on your way to the hospital. EColi is deadly, Staph is terrible. So, be smart.

In conclusion, organic is good. It is lovely but there is nothing like 100% organic. I hate hearing it. I do not want to hear it. And if anyone feels he can handle inorganic, he or she must be responsible with it. Do not spray chemical a day to harvest. If you do, you are evil.

OP, i appreciate you. May God bless your work. This thread is loaded with info. You have my respect.
Thanks for this. The organic idea is to partner nature and not do things too risky to the environment, the farmer and consumer. Native Black soap is 100% organic because it's salt produced from potash sourced from plants like banana leaves and PKO only. Some substances are either consider dangerous or their residue are life threatening directly or indirectly.

All the foods we consume are all chemical compounds that are beneficial. Epsom salt in this case is beneficial with hardly little residue that can be harmful. Urea and other organo phosphate chemicals used in agriculture can be very harmful directly to human health and the environment. Urea leached from farms and eroded into rivers will leave the water ways full of nutrients that can significantly change it's biodiversity which will affect the ecosystem.

Organ phosphate chemicals and its heavy metal brothers used in agriculture are usually found to be the trigger spot for many rampant diseases like cancer. We can not do all necessary work to clean the world and make our food crops and poultry 100% organic... But we will still try to jettison the use of dangerous chemicals in food crops production. Fortunate for us we are now growing poultry without vaccines and other dangerous antibiotics with astonishing results.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Making Your Own Cheap Organic Fungicides by Nobody: 6:06pm On Nov 04, 2017
organicfoods:
Thanks for this. The organic idea is to partner nature and not do things too risky to the environment, the farmer and consumer. Native Black soap is 100% organic because it's salt produced from potash sourced from plants like banana leaves and PKO only. Some substances are either consider dangerous or their residue are life threatening directly or indirectly.

Salt is Salt but I agree that the mentioned properties are safe.

organicfoods:

All the foods we consume are all chemical compounds that are beneficial. Epsom salt in this case is beneficial with hardly little residue that can be harmful. Urea and other organo phosphate chemicals used in agriculture can be very harmful directly to human health and the environment. Urea leached from farms and eroded into rivers will leave the water ways full of nutrients that can significantly change it's biodiversity which will affect the ecosystem.
Chemical compund is chemical compound. Why did you tag epsom salt safe but urea dangerous. Because you use epsom salt? Do you realise there are organic ways of making phosphate too? I can start the lecture if you want (however, I will not) and these are things I have practised but when you draw out the chemical compounds, they have same structure as those you called "organo phosphate chemical". Also, are you saying leaching of epsom salt is not dangerous to health if it is used incorrectly like urea? What I am saying is organic farmers use chemicals and salts too and they should not criticise unreasonably inorganic. You use chemical as an organic person. It is simple. If you use them too much, they become unsafe too. Epsom salt is salt just like how urea is salt and nothing will change it. I can come up with dangers of epsom salt if you want. If you use manure and fill the whole farm with huge manure, it is not harmful. But fill your farm with epsom salt and see the result and if people will not get cancer. The error in inorganic farming is using chemicals wrongly, most of the time, over dose.

organicfoods:

Organ phosphate chemicals and its heavy metal brothers used in agriculture are usually found to be the trigger spot for many rampant diseases like cancer. We can not do all necessary work to clean the world and make our food crops and poultry 100% organic... But we will still try to jettison the use of dangerous chemicals in food crops production. Fortunate for us we are now growing poultry without vaccines and other dangerous antibiotics with astonishing results.
Your food crop is not 100% organic sir. You can NEVER get 100%. If you use epsom salt, baking soda, aspirin etc, they have nulified it. Also, I do not think you can have 100% organic poultry. Food nutrients which you buy still contain chemical. There is absolutely no way you can get 100%. In this our world, no way.

But I still think your method is safe because we do not need to worry about chemicals in it as they are insignificant.
What I am saying is that instead of advocating that inorganic is responsible for cancer and other diseases, advocate for proper training of inorganic farmers so they do not kill us.

Mark my words, you can never feed the whole world with organic. So, what is the gain in destroying what has helped in feeding us. Or can you beat your chest and say organic farming can feed the whole world? Why do you want hunger kill us? You cannot help us, so do not kill us rapidly with hunger.

All the same, I respect your works here. Keep it up..
Re: Making Your Own Cheap Organic Fungicides by FarmTech(m): 10:00pm On Nov 04, 2017
organicfoods:
Have you heard about @tinworthorganic farm or OPE Farm, They are very big organic farm doing great in Nigeria. I am also developing mine... When it's done, it will be open for many to replicate. Agreed you have to be special to achieve results.
How much land do they farm? Do they have a website?

I'll like to add that potassium bicarb is more powerful than sodium bicarb. potassium nitrate is also powerful.
Re: Making Your Own Cheap Organic Fungicides by Nobody: 1:18am On Nov 05, 2017
Noted
Re: Making Your Own Cheap Organic Fungicides by Seun(m): 9:18am On Nov 05, 2017
My preferred approach is to read the scientific research about every chemical available, and pick the one that is highly effective and at the same time not so toxic to other living things. Or, if I dont have time, I will just check google to find out if the chemical has been banned in any western country, and why. Organic and environmentally friendly aren’t the same thing.
Re: Making Your Own Cheap Organic Fungicides by organicfoods(m): 10:46am On Nov 05, 2017
FarmTech:

How much land do they farm? Do they have a website?

I'll like to add that potassium bicarb is more powerful than sodium bicarb. potassium nitrate is also powerful.
They manage several hectares of land organically... You can check their activities here on Instagram http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/tinwotorganicfarm

No doubt about efficacy of potassium bicarbonate over sodium.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Making Your Own Cheap Organic Fungicides by organicfoods(m): 11:01am On Nov 05, 2017
Seun:
My preferred approach is to read the scientific research about every chemical available, and pick the one that is highly effective and at the same time not so toxic to other living things. Or, if I dont have time, I will just check google to find out if the chemical has been banned in any western country, and why. Organic and environmentally friendly aren’t the same thing.
Naaah you cannot do organic and not cater for the environment, it's a partnership that the farmers strive to work on all the time. Most times, there are no safe chemicals that can get the job done effectively and efficiently. It's always getting into more problems by solving one. It's either pest are building up resistance or it's destroying all other beneficial microbes, and insects in the case of pesticides. No matter how hard you fertilize a soil with synthetic chemicals, you can never farm on the same farm for three years with the same results... You can do with organic farm with resounding results for decades.

The reason is that the so called urea and other chemical nutrients destroys soil microbes 'ecosystem' and leave the soil impotent. Many micro organism play several roles in nutrients up take and performance for the plants. When you comprise this by destroying with synthetic fertilizer, you end up having soil rich in nutrients that can't be used.

1 Like

Re: Making Your Own Cheap Organic Fungicides by organicfoods(m): 11:40am On Nov 05, 2017
fluentinfor:

Salt is Salt but I agree that the mentioned properties are safe.
We have chemically synthesized salts and salt that occurs in nature. You cannot compare how they degrade.

Chemical compund is chemical compound. Why did you tag epsom salt safe but urea dangerous. Because you use epsom salt? Do you realise there are organic ways of making phosphate too? I can start the lecture if you want (however, I will not) and these are things I have practised but when you draw out the chemical compounds, they have same structure as those you called "organo phosphate chemical". Also, are you saying leaching of epsom salt is not dangerous to health if it is used incorrectly like urea? What I am saying is organic farmers use chemicals and salts too and they should not criticise unreasonably inorganic. You use chemical as an organic person. It is simple. If you use them too much, they become unsafe too. Epsom salt is salt just like how urea is salt and nothing will change it. I can come up with dangers of epsom salt if you want. If you use manure and fill the whole farm with huge manure, it is not harmful. But fill your farm with epsom salt and see the result and if people will not get cancer. The error in inorganic farming is using chemicals wrongly, most of the time, over dose.
The use of Epsom salt I recommended is for folia spray to help tomatoes access magnesium as a quick fix for the organic farmers. It's a safe practice because Epsom is consumed by humans and has low toxicity. You can not compare this with urea that you cannot even handle safely with your bare hands.

In one of my write up here on Nairaland, I described how farmers can make organic calcium phosphate by harnessing acetic acids, lactic acids and ascorbic acids from certain fruits together roasted egg shell or bones. These are formulations I invented myself and the organic world are enjoying this to devastating effects on the farm both for crops and animals.

When organic alternatives for Epsom salts are available, trust me we will use it. The truth here is that we allow old habits to continue, we hardly believe change is possible. Yes it's possible. The errors in inorganic farming is not only using chemicals incorrectly, it's using dangerous chemicals correctly for cheap commercial gains that degrades our health and compromises the safety of our society. Nobody is attacking conventional farmers, the major stake here is that this dangerous pastime of wreck less farming with chemicals is killing us, an alternative safer method must be sort and used efficiently, this is what we are working on. Organic is not perfect but it's fixing many of our problems.

Your food crop is not 100% organic sir. You can NEVER get 100%. If you use epsom salt, baking soda, aspirin etc, they have nulified it. Also, I do not think you can have 100% organic poultry. Food nutrients which you buy still contain chemical. There is absolutely no way you can get 100%. In this our world, no way.

Very true sir, but we are reducing the chemical overload that can potentially cause problem. Not acting and not trying to fix it, is the problem. Let me shock, do you know the amount of antibiotics in conventional eggs production contributes to major cause of bacteria resistance we witness today.

We unknowingly consume antibiotics when we eat eggs. The average farmers uses several doses of antibiotics weekly on their laying birds to keep them alive, lay more and maintain their health. The birds are living store house of all manners of synthetic drugs. When you can achieve the same results using ginger and garlic.

But I still think your method is safe because we do not need to worry about chemicals in it as they are insignificant.
What I am saying is that instead of advocating that inorganic is responsible for cancer and other diseases, advocate for proper training of inorganic farmers so they do not kill us.

Mark my words, you can never feed the whole world with organic. So, what is the gain in destroying what has helped in feeding us. Or can you beat your chest and say organic farming can feed the whole world? Why do you want hunger kill us? You cannot help us, so do not kill us rapidly with hunger.
This is not true, we can feed the world with organic farming, if the demand increases, opportunities will arise to meet the demand... We are only comfortable with commercial farming with short cut that chemical offers without weighing the quality of produce

All the same, I respect your works here. Keep it up.
Thanks bro

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buy Ugu (fluted Pumpkin) Seed In Lagos / AfDB Approves $1.5 Billion Emergency Food Facility For Famers / RIVERS Farmer's Let Meet Here.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.