Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,611 members, 7,823,665 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:02 PM

Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC (54122 Views)

Pictures Only Medical Students Can Relate To / Why Are Medical Students Like This?? {pic} / NUC Dismisses The 11 Years Policy For The Training Of Medical Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by obynaDmob(m): 7:42pm On Mar 14, 2016
fairygeh:
That's very good,at least they will work for all the big money the get,even in state civil service, they start with medical Doctors with Gl12 when others they give GL 08 as if we others no go school at all,abegiii

Big money? Really undecided
Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by Nobody: 7:44pm On Mar 14, 2016
samuel051:
Wetin concern me,my pop na month end.
Corper wee
Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by Nobody: 7:46pm On Mar 14, 2016
fairygeh:

Don't mention me please

What are you going to do about it? grin
Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by nairalandbuzz(m): 7:50pm On Mar 14, 2016
Ellarge:
hmmm lol

Are u sure ur data is not flashing?
Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by lanreni: 8:00pm On Mar 14, 2016
Sasuwa:
if you start blogging today and he who enter medicine today, you fit build hospital before he finish
grin grin grin grin
Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by teeemmanuel(m): 8:07pm On Mar 14, 2016
It seems we are taking it too far in NIGERIA
Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by joelison(m): 8:11pm On Mar 14, 2016
Lecturebidz:
10 years + 2 years strike!!!! Hmmm
What baffles me the most is that Nigeria has more medical schools than most developed countries,instead of the government building more med schools(UniMed Ondo for example) they should rather raise the standard of existing ones to meet up with international standard.

Now I'm certain about sitting for the USMLE soon,I can't remain in this country if this trend continues.

thank God I go soon graduate

1 Like

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by Flashh: 8:19pm On Mar 14, 2016
He should go and spend 11 years in school studying medicine and see how easy it is.

Nonsense! angry

2 Likes

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by samuel051: 8:21pm On Mar 14, 2016
Stupedinluv:
Corper wee
Wahhhh
Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by Spectacularj(f): 8:24pm On Mar 14, 2016
shocked 11 years !! Hehe Nigeria where are we heading to? When ur mates that will study a 4-5 years course must have married and gotten a job u will still be in medicine school..#smh
Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by Nobody: 8:28pm On Mar 14, 2016
How many Keith Moore person wan read for 11years?? Arrant balderdash

3 Likes

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by alfredb(f): 8:30pm On Mar 14, 2016
:oWhat rubbish!!!

1 Like

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by Misterdhee1(m): 8:43pm On Mar 14, 2016
Trust me, this will reduce 'Mama and Papa doctors' dreams' of our parents.. Jamb nd strike no deh help matter sef

1 Like

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by Lecturebidz(m): 8:45pm On Mar 14, 2016
gmyguy:
some might not even graduate after all the years....some others will start secondary sch and even grad university, before uncle gbenga finish medical school...lol
gringrin
Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by Drdonzeez(m): 8:49pm On Mar 14, 2016
ajibolabd:
Ade Akanbi, Akure

The National Universities Commission has declared that any student who wants to study medicine will henceforth spend a minimum of 10 years in the university.

The Executive Secretary of the Commission, Prof. Julius Okojie made the declaration in a lecture delivered at the maiden matriculation and inauguration of the University of Medical Science, Ondo, Ondo State.

In a lecture titled : Development of Medical Education : Prospects and Challenges‘, Okojie, who was represented by the Deputy Executive Secretary of the commission, Prof. Chiedu Mafiana, said the development was imperative in order to enable the students mature psychologically for the profession.

He said the 2015 document for the training of medical students made provision for students to spend the first four years in studying basic sciences in university after which they would proceed to the medical school to spend another seven years.

Stressing the need for adequate funding of medical training and practice, the NUC Executive Secretary admonished the management of the institution to ensure that the money earmarked for the development of the institution was used for the purpose it was meant.

The Visitor of the school and Ondo a State governor, Dr. Olusegun Mimiko, in his speech said the university was expected to leverage on the benefits of the medical complex around the institution to advance efforts in medical research and training.

He expressed optimism that the institution would be a leading internationally-recognised platform for raising crops of professionally-competent individuals in the various disciplines of the health care industry.

“It is our hope and belief that it will provide sound scientific, technological and professional training to address identified health needs and problems, solve them within the context of community and national needs and sustainable development,” Mimiko said.

In his address, the Vice Chancellor of the university, Prof. Friday Okonofua, said the that the university would achieve the objectives for which it was established, appealing to all well-meaning Nigerians to render assistance to the varsity by contributing to the ‘Friends of UNIMED Funds’ initiatives which was targeted at raising N1billion for the school .

He lauded the initiative of the Ondo State government for the establishment of the university describing it as the most creative and innovative idea that has taken place in the development of tertiary education in the country.

http://www.punchng.com/medical-students-to-spend-11-years-in-varsity-−-nuc/
Lol.Nuc is just a mere figure Head.MDCN-the regulatory body woulld never accept this.Infact, mdcn has the final say

1 Like

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by tohbabey01(f): 8:50pm On Mar 14, 2016
So hilarious... wen u know dey will come out and still practice quackery
Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by nwadiuko1(m): 8:56pm On Mar 14, 2016
thank God my brother Don gradge
Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by pavlovt: 8:58pm On Mar 14, 2016
ajibolabd:
Ade Akanbi, Akure

The National Universities Commission has declared that any student who wants to study medicine will henceforth spend a minimum of 10 years in the university.

The Executive Secretary of the Commission, Prof. Julius Okojie made the declaration in a lecture delivered at the maiden matriculation and inauguration of the University of Medical Science, Ondo, Ondo State.

In a lecture titled : Development of Medical Education : Prospects and Challenges‘, Okojie, who was represented by the Deputy Executive Secretary of the commission, Prof. Chiedu Mafiana, said the development was imperative in order to enable the students mature psychologically for the profession.

He said the 2015 document for the training of medical students made provision for students to spend the first four years in studying basic sciences in university after which they would proceed to the medical school to spend another seven years.

Stressing the need for adequate funding of medical training and practice, the NUC Executive Secretary admonished the management of the institution to ensure that the money earmarked for the development of the institution was used for the purpose it was meant.

The Visitor of the school and Ondo a State governor, Dr. Olusegun Mimiko, in his speech said the university was expected to leverage on the benefits of the medical complex around the institution to advance efforts in medical research and training.

He expressed optimism that the institution would be a leading internationally-recognised platform for raising crops of professionally-competent individuals in the various disciplines of the health care industry.

“It is our hope and belief that it will provide sound scientific, technological and professional training to address identified health needs and problems, solve them within the context of community and national needs and sustainable development,” Mimiko said.

In his address, the Vice Chancellor of the university, Prof. Friday Okonofua, said the that the university would achieve the objectives for which it was established, appealing to all well-meaning Nigerians to render assistance to the varsity by contributing to the ‘Friends of UNIMED Funds’ initiatives which was targeted at raising N1billion for the school .

He lauded the initiative of the Ondo State government for the establishment of the university describing it as the most creative and innovative idea that has taken place in the development of tertiary education in the country.
http://www.punchng.com/medical-students-to-spend-11-years-in-varsity-−-nuc/

Then the rich will gain upper hand by sending their children abroad to study under six years and return to even lecture their mates.

1 Like

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by Remii(m): 8:59pm On Mar 14, 2016
kindakuz:
wot if i finish at dat age n my olevel result is not complete at dat time
and you want to read medicine? If o level hard you you go tey for medical school be that. If it's your dream, you work it and pay the needful sha
Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by Lecturebidz(m): 9:03pm On Mar 14, 2016
ps2:
How many Keith Moore person wan read for 11years?? Arrant balderdash
Dem want mak una begin use Gray's anatomygringringringrin
Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by pwettiejay(f): 9:13pm On Mar 14, 2016
Ah! That's bad o, even if they get admission at the age of 13, they'l have to wait till 24 bfor graduation lipsrsealed
Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by Peaceworld(m): 9:20pm On Mar 14, 2016
Medicine is still six years. In developed countries one studies basic sciences for four years before entering any of the core health professions. This is good but it's nothing new, and it's only a matter of time before other health professions start the same thing. NUC working with NMA. I hope they won't be biased when it comes to other health professions. Why not simply make it four years of basic sciences for every health profession? Why is NIGERIA SO BACKWARD? I know what is happening here, but that's so blind of the actors.

1 Like

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by Naturalle(f): 9:21pm On Mar 14, 2016
Like seriously? When Skales needs a new kidney or even to treat a common ailment, I hope fellow musicians or even his music can heal him.

MrPresident1:
[size=20pt]Make una dey there dey waste una time, 11 years ko 50 years ni.

Under 6 years Skales don buy big house and big motor, dey dia dey look

Mumu, you wan go spend 11 years to learn fake medicine angry angry angry[/size]
Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by fairygeh(f): 9:28pm On Mar 14, 2016
yakflowz:

Hater, jst gerrarahere
E don pain am.
Come and push me here na
Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by fairygeh(f): 9:31pm On Mar 14, 2016
daretodiffer:

What are you going to do about it? grin
grin
Beat you up
Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by lozanni(m): 9:33pm On Mar 14, 2016
dicefrost:
Highly unnecessary. 8 years is more than enough to study medicine, 4 years in basic medical science and 4 years in medicine. The problem with medical training in Nigeria is not the length of time, but the facilities and infrastructure. I known a school where anatomy students have never seen a cadaver

I agree totally with you.8 years with adequate facilities is what medical schools need in Nigeria.
NUC is now introducing into medical studies what they did to the law profession; that is adding more years to study the course and also increase the cost of studying the course in question.
The above move has tended to give an elitist bent to the study of law as only the rich or those who can borrow can afford study law.
I pray this policy does not lead to students shunning the study of Medcine and Surgery and in the long term lead to dearth of Medical Doctors in the country.

1 Like

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by ClinicalHope(f): 9:38pm On Mar 14, 2016
SycophanticGoat:
Later now, those nurses, lab scientists, cleaners, gatemen, etc, will be asking for same salary scale as doctors.. SmH!

Btw, is our educational system going forward or backward? How many years is spent in studying medicine outside Nigeria? SmH..

With all these forex palava? shocked shocked shocked
what do you mean those nurses, lab scientists will be asking for the same salary scale? Even with what Doctors earn, they are never satisfied and they still want to do the work of a Medical Lab Scientist.
Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by ademusiwa1f: 9:43pm On Mar 14, 2016
Bimpss:
That sounds about the same amount of time it takes to become a doctor in the U.S and in other developed countries. I actually agree with this, it might reduce the amount of medical malpractice in Nigeria.

Wats up Nairaland! It has been a while.
cool

[size=28pt]Which develop country are you talking about. The USA should remove that requirement because children in the USA dont need to do that, they already have the brain like most countries of the world to go straight to Medical school. It is a waste of time for children in the USA. The rest of the world go directly to medical school to spend 7 years. if you were a child, will you want to waste your time and go an study, a useless course first, borrowing money then go into medical school. After owning, No.. the USA system is not good, they need to change it. i will assume that is the reason, that carson, been a doctor was running.

The rest of the world go directly to medical school from high school. they dont waste their children times. just because someone want you to borrow money. why will anyone go and study an irrelevant course first. people send their children to europe leaving the USA because of this.

Youngman, NUC chairman will be remove, if such happen.

[/size]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6byMnG__p9g

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by onyxo76(m): 9:47pm On Mar 14, 2016
hmm, thank God i left med school over 10 years ago...bu then 10 years is too long, what of those that have resits or repeats in various classes, going at this rate most doctors won't go for NYSC ,most would have been well over 30 years by the time they graduate.
Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by Kunlexic(m): 9:47pm On Mar 14, 2016
From 6years to 7years and now to 10years...when will the duration become 30years

Is it by force to study medicine Lmfao grin
Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by banio: 9:51pm On Mar 14, 2016
dicefrost:
Highly unnecessary. 8 years is more than enough to study medicine, 4 years in basic medical science and 4 years in medicine. The problem with medical training in Nigeria is not the length of time, but the facilities and infrastructure. I known a school where anatomy students have never seen a cadaver

But Cadaver full for 9ja every where. Anyway when I was in year two, my colleagues were playing with cadaver and I changed my course fast. Which kind Cadaver play was that
Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by AreaFada2: 9:53pm On Mar 14, 2016
dagr8:

Well Iam looking at it from the perspective of discouraging the visionless pursuant of the so called prestigious profession. Many people want to do medicine not because they have a clear vision of what they intend to do with the degree but for prestige sake,thereby making it unnecessarily competitive with far more than what the system can absorb applying for the course every year.
I agree with you that we need lots of trained doctors but we don't need lots of quack doctors either. We need people who truly know why they are going for it.
Having said that, the reason the NUC want to lengthen the duration has nothing to do with my opinion. According to NUC, they want the students to be psychologically mature for the programme. I believe there is a reason they came to that conclusion

Very flawed reason. In most of Western Europe, you are interviewed by a medical panel before gaining admission. The interview usually has little to do with academic ability. You will have already shown that via top grades/relevant screening exams from your record to be called for interview.

The interview seeks to know your motivation, your proof of commitment to medicine through volunteer work in hospitals, nursing homes AND to see that you're a well-rounded & psychologically sound person. A kind of humanitarianism too. Because by the age of 22 or so, you will be facing life & death situations as a house officer. Around 3am in the morning sometimes.

Well-rounded as in having people skills, possibly well-travelled, balanced view of life, respect for people of various creeds and races, and your hobbies. The difference between one admitted And one not admitted could be that the admitted one learnt a foreign language to a good level. A thing a doctor might need having to deal with many people. Or one who spent summer holiday in a foreign hospital and the other didn't. One who has read many volumes of say French/German novels (and you're British for example). Indicates interest in people & other cultures.

Then leadership skills help too. Maybe as captain of your school Karate, football, netball or whatever team. Or in fact just having extracurricular activities that enable you to mix with people. Being just a book worm isn't enough.

The system can be set up to select those genuinely interested in Medicine & prevent money changing hands.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? / Hilarious Note A Student Left For Her Roommate Fond Of Eating Her Food (pix) / Age: David Okorogheye Denied Admission From Studying Medicine For Being 15 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.