Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,055 members, 7,835,569 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:53 AM

Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC (54150 Views)

Pictures Only Medical Students Can Relate To / Why Are Medical Students Like This?? {pic} / NUC Dismisses The 11 Years Policy For The Training Of Medical Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by Nobody: 5:15pm On Mar 14, 2016
SycophanticGoat:
Later now, those nurses, lab scientists, cleaners, gatemen, etc, will be asking for same salary scale as doctors.. SmH!

Btw, is our educational system going forward or backward? How many years is spent in studying medicine outside Nigeria? SmH..

With all these forex palava? shocked shocked shocked

You did not have to bring others into it after admitting that the time is unnecessary. Medicine is 4years in Ukraine

3 Likes

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by Nobody: 5:15pm On Mar 14, 2016
SUPERPACK:
11 years to be a doctor, I blame GEJ for this. this is kwarraption.

And we will "kwit kworoption ta Dd Rroot"
Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by Justicealh3(m): 5:16pm On Mar 14, 2016
SUPERPACK:
11 years to be a doctor, I blame GEJ for this. this is kwarraption.
Reason of ur blame in the head of Gej undecidedlipsrsealedgrin
Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by Nobody: 5:18pm On Mar 14, 2016
dicefrost:
Highly unnecessary. 8 years is more than enough to study medicine, 4 years in basic medical science and 4 years in medicine. The problem with medical training in Nigeria is not the length of time, but the facilities and infrastructure. I known a school where anatomy students have never seen a cadaver

Pls name the institution.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by Dansiki1: 5:18pm On Mar 14, 2016
janefarms2015:
I expected President Buhari to get rid of these archaic people with stupid, mischievous ways of thinking, 10 years to read medicine? Are we moving forward or backward? In neighboring countries, its less than 5 years, in America is 4 years to graduate with a MD degree, we need people people who move with trends of events to head our educational systems
In USA you need a degree to be admitted to Medicine, so it's between 9 and 10 years.

1 Like

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by Saladin25(m): 5:18pm On Mar 14, 2016
9years is Okay. In countries like Denmark, medicine is 9years. Many medical students should have bagged a degree in either microbiology, biochemistry or Cell biology and genetics before proceeding to medical school.

2 Likes

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by Donpre(m): 5:19pm On Mar 14, 2016
I'm sure that guy is high on expired weed or just cracking some lame yet expensive joke

Lemme wait for NMA and MDCN to say something first before picking my COC form

#NonsenseticalNonsense.... 11 years ko, 5000 years ni

1 Like

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by madamL(f): 5:20pm On Mar 14, 2016
person go reach menopause as e de do medicine! mba nu!

1 Like

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by Justicealh3(m): 5:20pm On Mar 14, 2016
11years Damm APCgovernment.
Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by Nobody: 5:21pm On Mar 14, 2016
dicefrost:
Highly unnecessary. 8 years is more than enough to study medicine, 4 years in basic medical science and 4 years in medicine. The problem with medical training in Nigeria is not the length of time, but the facilities and infrastructure. I known a school where anatomy students have never seen a cadaver
I agree that 8 years is enough schooling for medical students. In the US, medicine isn't an undergrad program, but a post-graduate program. So, the student spends 4 yrs in undergrad, and a minimum of 4 yrs in medical school.
The same structure may be applied in Naija

2 Likes

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by JuanDeDios: 5:21pm On Mar 14, 2016
dicefrost:
There is nothing to add to what you have written. It's Nigerian approach to problems - often poorly thought out and wanting to be seen to be tackling a problem without really doing what should be done to tackle it.

1 Like

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by sambluesky(m): 5:22pm On Mar 14, 2016
I think 20yrs would be better... Nonsense! Wen other part f d world are busy making their education more qualitative n concise time wise n we are doing just d opposite
Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by AreaFada2: 5:22pm On Mar 14, 2016
dagr8:
Perhaps that will reduce the number of applicants for medicine. In a way, it's good development
.. I disagree sir.

Cuba achieved the high level of health care provision by training many doctors on the cheap. With students learning family medicine/General practice from day one.

They can man general practice almost immediately after graduation.

We need General practice. With lots of trained doctors having offices in every few streets. Paid for by government, Federal or State Health Service/Board.

Government/schools need to drastically improve training facilities, not lengthen the course.

2 Likes

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by christopher123(m): 5:23pm On Mar 14, 2016
NUC and Backwardness, Lecturers that cant even browse internet and do basic online research.

This is the years that it takes to get a medicine degree in Developed world that have efficient education and medical system. NIGERIAN LECTUERS ARE INEPT, THEY ARE ONLY GOOD AT SELLING HANDOUTS AND SLEEPINT WITH KIDS...NO INVENTION AT ALL...JUST STRIKES

Medical school typically takes 4 years to complete; then there is a 3 to 7 year ...in USA

Training to become a doctor in UK is one of the long education training and may takes 5- 10 in UK

Most faculties of medicine in Western Canada require at least 2 years, and most faculties in Ontario require at least 3 years of university study before application can be made to medical school. ....In Canada, a medical school is a faculty or school of a university that trains would-be medical doctors and usually offers a three- to five-year Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) or Doctor of Medicine and Master of Surgery (M.D., C.M.) degree. Although presently most students enter medicine having previously earned another degree, the M.D. is technically considered an undergraduate degree in Canada. There are currently seventeen medical schools in Canada. Some faculties, such as Manitoba, McMaster, and Toronto, in addition to training would-be medical doctors offer two-year bachelor's or master's degrees to train physician assistants

Various models of medical education exist in Australia. Undergraduate programs typically last 5–6 years, and by definition, admit secondary school matriculants. Applicants are usually assessed by a combination of high school leaving certificate performance, Undergraduate Medicine and Health Sciences Admission Test (UMAT) score and an interview. Graduate medical programs typically last 4 years, and applicants are assessed on the results of their previous academic degree in addition to aptitude tests and interviews. The most commonly used selection test is the Graduate Australian Medical School Admissions Test (GAMSAT).

In the United States and Canada, almost all medical degrees are second entry degrees, and require several years of previous study at the university level.

Medical degrees are awarded to medical students after the completion of their degree program, which typically lasts five or more years for the undergraduate model and four years for the graduate model. Many modern medical schools integrate clinical education with basic sciences from the beginning of the curriculum (e.g.[1][2]). More traditional curricula are usually divided into preclinical and clinical blocks. In preclinical sciences, students study subjects such as biochemistry, genetics, pharmacology, pathology, anatomy, physiology and medical microbiology, among others. Subsequent clinical rotations usually include internal medicine, general surgery, pediatrics, psychiatry, and obstetrics and gynecology, among others.

Medical course in Canada is 3 to 5 year program, depending on Universities and the background of each student. For 5 year medical study program in Canada, the first year is preparatory year and designed for those students without bachelor degree in appropriate science. To inter into 4 year medical program, the student must have bachelor degree in Biology or other appropriate field.

In fact, most South African med students enter medical school straight after high school. Some take gap years and some do a year or more of a Bachelors of Science, either by choice or in order to have a better chance of acceptance.If you go to medical school straight after high school and pass all your years on the first try, you will study for six years. Only one university (UFS) still offers the five year program. Two others recently returned to the six year program. Many schools also have an Extended Degree Program, where students complete the first year in a two-year period. This is especially useful for students from disadvantaged backgrounds who just need some catching-up time.

2 Likes

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by Nobody: 5:26pm On Mar 14, 2016
dicefrost:

haba mallam. Even devil go fear this your lie
Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by stagger: 5:26pm On Mar 14, 2016
Dansiki1:
In USA you need a degree to be admitted to Medicine, so it's between 9 and 10 years.

So what is the salary of a doctor in the US?
What is the salary of a doctor at the same level in Nigeria?

2 Likes

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by adepiero: 5:27pm On Mar 14, 2016
What kind of weed are these NUC guys smoking? 11yrs when you can go abroad and be a doctor under 5yrs!!!

if medicine becomes 11yrs, ho many years will a student in LASU, OAU and co. spend to be a doctors?
Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by olatade(m): 5:30pm On Mar 14, 2016
Complete insanity. If lecturers are qualified and good laboratories provided, what will stop one from becoming a qualified medical doctor in four or five years?

1 Like

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by donodion(m): 5:31pm On Mar 14, 2016
casket:
11 years plus extra 2 years for internship and NYSC..13 good years planned for you to be a Dr by FG !

Nah to finish medschool with grayed hair be that oo
How would this step encourage female students to study medicine !
Any loan facility for indigent students ?

Why wasting that much time when you can obtain MBBS at half of the proposed years of training in Ukraine, St Kitts etc

Exactly..Ukraine will get more Nigerian students as applicants.Just watch.
Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by Fabzgrace(f): 5:31pm On Mar 14, 2016
Cc Nolio angry
Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by toprealman: 5:31pm On Mar 14, 2016
countsparrow:
20 yrs + 10 medical years = 30 years....

Because of daily bread...

Music is the way, if una like make una talk say if dem put transformer for my head i no fit blow. I DONT MIND
Job advert: MBBS qualification and NYSC discharge certificate; AGE: not more than 24 years by 1st April.
Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by Socketbet: 5:31pm On Mar 14, 2016
This is what they call chain not change
Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by NaMe4: 5:31pm On Mar 14, 2016
With the kind of system in this Country, that will translate to 15yrs in school.

Then come out to be paid pittance!
Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by Meritocracy: 5:34pm On Mar 14, 2016
The highly innovative Engineers and technologist that are think ahead in designing medical equipments spent 5years while the operators and users spent 11years. My question is has God created new creatures to be treated or change the location of parts of our body. What is new in medicine compare to technology. Shame on their teachers calling themselves prof cos this doesn't stop going abroad for treatments.

2 Likes

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by Nobody: 5:34pm On Mar 14, 2016
I no fit laugh, 11 ki ni
Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by Nobody: 5:35pm On Mar 14, 2016
Mor..ons
Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by iiiyyyk(m): 5:37pm On Mar 14, 2016
this NUC is so so confused, others are reducing length of studies, Backward nigeria is increasing theirs.
with strikes, the eleven yrs would become 13yrs.
what will an Anatomy graduate do in medical school again to spend another 7yrs?...
in USA, graduates After 4yr first degree, spend another 4 yrs for MD, in some places 3&1/2 yrs.
some schools even award MD and a Masters eg MD/MPH programs for 4yrs.
people should just look abroad for medical degrees fast.... even if its other african countries, Caribbean, Asia or eastern Europe
Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by Nobody: 5:38pm On Mar 14, 2016
Saladin25:
9years is Okay. In countries like Denmark, medicine is 9years. Many medical students should have bagged a degree in either microbiology, biochemistry or Cell biology and genetics before proceeding to medical school.

God!

That is the American way. In other countries like UK. you go straight to medical school undecided
Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by Nobody: 5:40pm On Mar 14, 2016
SycophanticGoat:
Later now, those nurses, lab scientists, cleaners, gatemen, etc, will be asking for same salary scale as doctors.. SmH!

Btw, is our educational system going forward or backward? How many years is spent in studying medicine outside Nigeria? SmH..

With all these forex palava? shocked shocked shocked

They are not requesting for the same salary scale as doctors undecided
Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by Saladin25(m): 5:42pm On Mar 14, 2016
daretodiffer:

God!

That is the American way. In other countries like UK. you go straight to medical school undecided
That is why every country has her own National Policy on Education.
To me it is not about the lengthy period but to train them with good facilities not by improvising.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by iiiyyyk(m): 5:44pm On Mar 14, 2016
Meritocracy:
The highly innovative Engineers and technologist that are think ahead in designing medical equipments spent 5years while the operators and users spent 11years. My question is has God created new creatures to be treated or change the location of parts of our body. What is new in medicine compare to technology. Shame on their teachers calling themselves prof cos this doesn't stop going abroad for treatments.

Very True.
technology is making medical practice easier and easier every day.
with high precision equipments every where, i don't think there is need to increase the length of med training....
A blackman's way of making a simple thing look difficult.
the same NUC that said Nigeria will not recognize online degrees in this 21st century.
what an outdated body.
Re: Medical Students To Spend 11 Years In Varsity − NUC by dagr8(m): 5:45pm On Mar 14, 2016
AreaFada2:
.. I disagree sir.

Cuba achieved the high level of health care provision by training many doctors on the cheap. With students learning family medicine/General practice from day one.

They can man general practice almost immediately after graduation.

We need General practice. With lots of trained doctors having offices in every few streets. Paid for by government, Federal or State Health Service/Board.

Government/schools need to drastically improve training facilities, not lengthen the course.
Well Iam looking at it from the perspective of discouraging the visionless pursuant of the so called prestigious profession. Many people want to do medicine not because they have a clear vision of what they intend to do with the degree but for prestige sake,thereby making it unnecessarily competitive with far more than what the system can absorb applying for the course every year.
I agree with you that we need lots of trained doctors but we don't need lots of quack doctors either. We need people who truly know why they are going for it.
Having said that, the reason the NUC want to lengthen the duration has nothing to do with my opinion. According to NUC, they want the students to be psychologically mature for the programme. I believe there is a reason they came to that conclusion

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Age: David Okorogheye Denied Admission From Studying Medicine For Being 15 Years / Reps Oppose School Resumption, Propose Three-Month Postponement / Nigerian Lady Celebrates Bagging A PhD In Mathematics At 27 (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.