Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,060 members, 7,835,588 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:06 PM

U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening - Travel (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening (187555 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (36) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Hbaba: 11:08pm On Dec 01, 2016
@ AbujaNIV.
Please do you have idea of when next an educational seminar will take place in Lagos this year so that I can attend? I need some clarifications about F1 visa. Thanka
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by EzekielBams(m): 12:34am On Dec 03, 2016
Hello i just got applied to a college in California and i am 28 years old and i just got my I-20 so i want to know will my age affect chances of me getting a visa? and i dont have a strong ties yet cos i just finish my Nd program and the lastly i was denied b1/b2 visa in december and will be going for F1 visa interview on the 10 dec 2016 and i have a valid reason for while i am applying for both hope it wont affect my visa?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by elektra(f): 6:57am On Dec 03, 2016
AbujaNIV

Please I need you attention. I had my interview on 29th November. My visa was approved. I got an email the next day (Wednesday) with an attached document requesting fingerprints. (I did finger printing during the interview, do not know why they need another). The attachment said the fingerprinting can only be done on Tuesdays, no appointment needed.
So I responded to the email (on Wednesday) to enquire about my passport location, I got a response on Friday saying "the records show that I need to submit a new passport photo". ( The response made no mention of the fingerprint request) I went to DHL (collection center) on Friday and submitted the photo.
Now I am confused and worried, do they still need the fingerprint? Was it an error? What exactly is going on? My return flight is on the 10th Dec. So I need that visa processed ad quickly as possible. I cannot reach the consulate on phone and talk to someone immediately, and emails are responded after 2 working days, by the time I get the next response it might be too late to get the visa on time for my trip.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Roox: 5:56pm On Dec 05, 2016
This is good stuff
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Temitope91(f): 4:31am On Dec 08, 2016
Hello VO, pls can I submit my Ds-160 form without my passport?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by mzjennypher(f): 11:09am On Dec 10, 2016
Good day house, i applied for visit visa in july this year now am thinking of going for studies next year in the us. is it wise to apply for a student visa after being rejected a visit visa this yr?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by OkoyeA1(m): 2:15pm On Dec 13, 2016
abujaniv:

Hello sirRiddy,

Bank statements are NOT required for an F1 visa. You are welcome to bring those to the interview, but they will most likely not be requested from the officer.

Regards,
Student Visa Team
Good day Visa Team, what are the requirements for getting a student visa. I plan on doing my masters in the US.
Also the meaning of the terms I20 and Sevie.
Anticipating your reply
Thanks.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 2:25pm On Dec 13, 2016
Dear Hbaba,

Thank you for your question. You are correct that you will need to pay the SEVIS fee anew. This is because your initial SEVIS will have been terminated when you did not arrive for classes as originally scheduled. As the SEVIS number is annotated on the visa, you will to re-do the visa process. You will need to re-do your online application, the DS-160, a new I-20, new SEVIS, and ultimately, a new visa.

The good news is that you may be eligible to send in all of your information via DHL utilizing our Drop Box program. You can find all of the requirements for Drop Box eligibility at https://nigeria.usembassy.gov/niv_dropbox.html.

Thank you for the good job. Here is my challenge where I would really appreciate your kind response

I got my F1 visa for spring 2016 December 2015. Unfortunately, I was unable to resume at the school due to an extension in the project which I was managing at my place of work. Now the project is over and I deferred my admission to summer 2017. The school has sent new I20 (in transit to my address). Please do shed more light on this. Do I need to visit the embassy again for visa as I still have a valid F1 visa till December 2017? I am aware I need to pay for new sevis as the previous paid for is above 12 months. Thank you in anticipation.
[/quote]
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 2:29pm On Dec 13, 2016
rosey11,

Instructions for the Drop Box program can be found at https://nigeria.usembassy.gov/niv_dropbox.html.
rosey11:
Pls who has gone through the student visa renewal process via drop box. How is it done?.Thanks
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 3:46pm On Dec 13, 2016
Hbaba,

No events are currently scheduled. EducationUSA hosts regular events with information for students. Check their website, https://educationusa.state.gov/centers/educationusa-lagos, for membership information and a schedule of events. We will also advertise our public events as they are scheduled. In the meantime, please feel free to post your questions to this forum.
Hbaba:
@ AbujaNIV.
Please do you have idea of when next an educational seminar will take place in Lagos this year so that I can attend? I need some clarifications about F1 visa. Thanka
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 3:53pm On Dec 13, 2016
EzekielBams,

I am sorry, we do not comment on specific cases.
EzekielBams:
Hello i just got applied to a college in California and i am 28 years old and i just got my I-20 so i want to know will my age affect chances of me getting a visa? and i dont have a strong ties yet cos i just finish my Nd program and the lastly i was denied b1/b2 visa in december and will be going for F1 visa interview on the 10 dec 2016 and i have a valid reason for while i am applying for both hope it wont affect my visa?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 3:55pm On Dec 13, 2016
mzjennypher,

I am sorry, we do not comment on specific cases. Each interview is a new chance for you to demonstrate that you meet the requirements of the particular visa for which you are applying.
mzjennypher:
Good day house, i applied for visit visa in july this year now am thinking of going for studies next year in the us. is it wise to apply for a student visa after being rejected a visit visa this yr?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by kunlesuccess(m): 6:50pm On Dec 13, 2016
If my visa is ready next year,and i am going for service in january 2018,hope d visa will not expire till i finish my NySc
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by kunlesuccess(m): 6:52pm On Dec 13, 2016
abujaniv:
Dear Hbaba,

Thank you for your question. You are correct that you will need to pay the SEVIS fee anew. This is because your initial SEVIS will have been terminated when you did not arrive for classes as originally scheduled. As the SEVIS number is annotated on the visa, you will to re-do the visa process. You will need to re-do your online application, the DS-160, a new I-20, new SEVIS, and ultimately, a new visa.

The good news is that you may be eligible to send in all of your information via DHL utilizing our Drop Box program. You can find all of the requirements for Drop Box eligibility at https://nigeria.usembassy.gov/niv_dropbox.html.

Thank you for the good job. Here is my challenge where I would really appreciate your kind response

I got my F1 visa for spring 2016 December 2015. Unfortunately, I was unable to resume at the school due to an extension in the project which I was managing at my place of work. Now the project is over and I deferred my admission to summer 2017. The school has sent new I20 (in transit to my address). Please do shed more light on this. Do I need to visit the embassy again for visa as I still have a valid F1 visa till December 2017? I am aware I need to pay for new sevis as the previous paid for is above 12 months. Thank you in anticipation.

If my visa is ready next year,and i am going for service in january 2018,hope d visa will not expire till i finish my NySc, urgent response is needed... Thanks
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by OkoyeA1(m): 8:25am On Dec 16, 2016
OkoyeA1:

Good day Visa Team, what are the requirements for getting a student visa. I plan on doing my masters in the US.
Also the meaning of the terms I20 and Sevie.
Anticipating your reply
Thanks.
Abujaniv
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Nobody: 10:35am On Dec 16, 2016
please am going for my Msc next year tho my admission letter is not ready yet..
my question is the school didn't compulsory require G-mat/GRE will that disturb my chances at the embassy?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Prince1980(m): 8:40pm On Dec 17, 2016
Hello Abuja NIV,
While appreciating your kind response to this forum members challenges/obstacles accurately, I wish mine is not exceptional.

I will like to inquire, I have a B1/B2 Visa valid till 2018, am planning and willing to apply for F1 Visa in 2016 for my Master's Degree in the State, my question is this, if F1 visa granted, would my B1/B2 Visa cancel or still valid?

Secondly, when should I pay for SEVIS since the resumption date is June 2017, so, I can prepare early enough.

Respectfully.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Nobody: 5:58pm On Dec 19, 2016
Hi,
I was supposed to resume for Spring semester but due to some issues I plan to defer till summer. Do I need a new i20 for my f1 visa application or this current one is just fine?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Chiezzh: 9:12am On Dec 25, 2016
Please I need help ....I was denied f1 visa last month...my ds 160 was filled by me and I was not experience in filling it So i didn't fill my educational background ...I made that correction on my new ds 160 and reapplied ...after which I was approved on the new apoontment Date and form ..when I check my visa status days after the interview I saw refused...what is what is wrong please help
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 3:31pm On Dec 29, 2016
OkoyeA1:

Abujaniv

Dear OkoyeA1,

Directions for applying for a student visa, including definitions for those terms, can be found at https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/study-exchange/student.html.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 3:35pm On Dec 29, 2016
Chiezzh:
Please I need help ....I was denied f1 visa last month...my ds 160 was filled by me and I was not experience in filling it So i didn't fill my educational background ...I made that correction on my new ds 160 and reapplied ...after which I was approved on the new apoontment Date and form ..when I check my visa status days after the interview I saw refused...what is what is wrong please help

Chiezzh,

For questions regarding your particular case's status, you can email LagosNIV@state.gov or AbujaNIV@state.gov, depending on where you interviewed.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 3:37pm On Dec 29, 2016
OkoyeA1:

Abujaniv

Dear OkoyeA1,

Directions for applying for a student visa, including definitions for those terms, can be found at https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/study-exchange/student.html.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 3:40pm On Dec 29, 2016
sshola:
Hi,
I was supposed to resume for Spring semester but due to some issues I plan to defer till summer. Do I need a new i20 for my f1 visa application or this current one is just fine?

To be certain, check with your university's international student coordinator. They will be able to advise you whether or not you need to request a new I-20.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 4:44pm On Dec 29, 2016
Prince1980:
Hello Abuja NIV,
While appreciating your kind response to this forum members challenges/obstacles accurately, I wish mine is not exceptional.

I will like to inquire, I have a B1/B2 Visa valid till 2018, am planning and willing to apply for F1 Visa in 2016 for my Master's Degree in the State, my question is this, if F1 visa granted, would my B1/B2 Visa cancel or still valid?

Secondly, when should I pay for SEVIS since the resumption date is June 2017, so, I can prepare early enough.

Respectfully.

Prince 1980,

It is possible to hold more than one type of visa concurrently, so your B1/B2 visa will not be cancelled if you are issued an F1 visa. Note that the student visa would only be valid 30 days before the start of your academic program.

The important thing is to pay your SEVIS fee before you come to your interview, as the payment receipt is one of the required documents for student interviews.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 4:45pm On Dec 29, 2016
kunlesuccess:
If my visa is ready next year,and i am going for service in january 2018,hope d visa will not expire till i finish my NySc

Kunlesuccess,

Can you please clarify your question so that we can answer in a way that is helpful?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 11:23am On Dec 30, 2016
gatti23:
please am going for my Msc next year tho my admission letter is not ready yet..
my question is the school didn't compulsory require G-mat/GRE will that disturb my chances at the embassy?

Hello, gatti23. You need to be accepted to a school before applying for your student visa. Your school will issue you the I-20 document that you will need to bring to your interview. You should not make an interview before receiving this paperwork and paying your SEVIS fee.

Interviewing officers understand that not all schools require GRE test scores. For your interview, be prepared to talk about the application process and requirements, whatever they were, in addition to your educational and professional background and aspirations.

Thank you for your interest in studying in the United States!

1 Like

Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 11:29am On Dec 30, 2016
mzjennypher:

mzjennypher,

We do not comment on specific cases or chances. Students are subject to the same section of U.S. immigration law as tourist visa applicants, so you must still demonstrate, to the interviewing officer's satisfaction, your ties and plans to return to a foreign residence in addition to demonstrating that you are a credible student. Each time you apply, you have a fresh chance to convince the interviewing officer that you meet these requirements.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Nobody: 9:45pm On Dec 30, 2016
Dear officer,
Please I am actually a final year university student and will be graduating next year. I have applied and accepted to pursue a four year degree course in the states in a field which will certainly help me . People have informed me that this is leading to outright rejection by the embassy because I am going for a second undergraduate degree
Thanks
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Nobody: 12:57pm On Dec 31, 2016
good morning please must f1 applicant do medical test and which hospital is the approved place to do it

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (36)

Dv Lottery 2012 Winner Meet Here / Adventure In Ireland / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response

Viewing this topic: Greatkenny2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.