Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,694 members, 7,820,424 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:33 PM

U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening (186836 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (36) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by anyakarl(m): 6:13pm On Aug 16, 2016
Hello abujaniv,

Am a F1 student visa applicant. I was previously denied a visa and have since reapplied. On my second appointment, I was refused entry to the embassy because I used the DS-160 barcode with which I was denied on and advised to reschedule which I have done. My problem now is that my appointment date which is 18th of August is 3days after my program start date (15th, August).

I have informed my designated school official on my situation and he made a request to SEVIS to update the program start date to 30th. He also said that my current I-20 is valid for one month from the start date and therefore is not necessary to give me a new one with the adjusted date. My question is will I have a problem at the interview regards the dates? Looking forward to your reply asap.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by benjijosh(m): 10:39pm On Aug 17, 2016
Am a 400lvl student in a federal university studying Mathematics here in Nigeria, I am so mean to have my M.Sc in computer science from a reputable university in The United States. Have been hearing and reading a lot of issues about denial of Visa here on NL so i would like if someone could guide me through on how to start processing. I am the last of the 4children in my family, my dad is a retired civil servant (retired Feb. 15) , I have two brothers and one sister, My eldest brother is a civil servant and also own a Business(printing on polythene) and I think he is financially OK, the other one is self-employed. My sister is a teacher in a secondary school. I would love to know the minimum amount for tuition fee and living expenses in any reputable university over there(my dad is retired and yet to receive is gratitude/pension but from the little he saved he can still give 4million Max and my brother can still support with 2million max) i can still afford to pay for my flight and visa and for my exam any exam i must take(profiency in English). The only related person i have there is the sister of my sister's husband. what are steps needed to start processing??
what are the chances of me given visa?
do you think the fund at hand now is enough to see me through for my stay?
is there anyway the govt. there could finance me and i work for them after my studies?
do you know of anu individual/organisation/ company that is capable of financing me and i work for them after my studies?
do you think am being too ambitious, maybe i should just forget studying there?
or US isn't the place for me mayb i should set for Europe(where in Europe)??
Between is there any scholarship for my kind(an first class student currently on 4.63/5.0 scale)
Thanks in anticipation.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Anuoluwapo89: 7:53am On Aug 18, 2016
Good VO, this the first time I would be talking because have been a silent follower who enjoy this platform a lot even tho I join not long ago.
I went for interview yesterday at Lagos was at window 7 And was refused the was man ask why my sch which is Virginia international university fair fax I gave some reason and he said out of over 100 university in us why the sch I spoke he den refused me but now u have re apply and going next week and my sch is resuming on the 29th of this month what are my chances and what can I do to scale through this time pls God bless.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by cseejhay: 7:50pm On Aug 19, 2016
hello AbujaNIV and LagosNIV, this is my first time to post on here....i have learnt alot from you guys.pls this is my question.....
If my sponsor is away from the country and would still be away at the time I'll be going to the embassy for F1 visa interview, can i attend the intetview with a scanned copy of her Statement of Account she sent to me through mail.Even though it is not required.can i present this if i am asked for a proof of finance.is the scanned copy valid? or i must ask her to get the original copy down to me.pls advise.Thank you.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by blossomfarm: 8:37pm On Aug 19, 2016
hello niv. after being denied on Monday , i intend to book an appointment next tuesday and sch starts on the 29th of august. am i good to go?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by elbeee: 7:51am On Aug 21, 2016
Dear vo. Thank U so much for this forum. Quick question. I currently intend on going for a second Masters in business administration in the US. I obtained my first Masters from the UK and returned back immediately to work in Nigeria. I have worked for 2years and 5months. I have been to the US twice within the last 2years on a visitors visa(stayed 2 weeks on each visit). And I travel to Europe very often. I now intend on applying for an f1 visa. My questions are as follows:
1. Will the fact that I have a prior Masters degree be an issue?
2.would the v/o take ones previous travel history into consideration when determining his case
3.should I attach old passports to my new one?
Your response would be highly appreciated.
God bless
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by seunmarytemi(f): 2:28pm On Aug 21, 2016
hello good day, I applied for f1 visa and I visited the USA embassy on 19 of this month. I greeted her
Me: good morning ma
no response from her but ask
VO: can I have your passport and D160
I gave her
she ask what did u what to study in Wayne state university
I reply
me: I want to study English language
VO: how many years
me: two year
vo: what next
me: I will come back home
VO: sorry u are not eligible
so my question is why am I denied, because she didn't ask me for other document and also she never ask me question like why did u want to study English language, why not your own country, when u come back how will u use English to your profession
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Prince1980(m): 9:36pm On Aug 21, 2016
Hello VO,
Job well done, I have a B1/B2 Visa valid till March 2018, I am now planning to apply for F1 visa. My enquiry, would my B1/B2 Visa cancel if my F1 application deny?

Secondly, if F1 granted, would B1/B2 Visa still valid?

Regards.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 12:10pm On Aug 22, 2016
Princesindy:
Hello, Thanks for your response to my previous post. Please how true is it that writing standardized tests like SAT and TOEFL improves ones' chances of getting a visa for undergraduate students?

Hello Princesindy-

There is not a formula for a visa. Not every school requires them. Taking those tests do show a level of preparation that can help to prove credibility and qualifications, but not a requirement or a guarantee.

Regards,
Student Visa Team
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 1:34pm On Aug 22, 2016
anyakarl:
Hello abujaniv,

Am a F1 student visa applicant. I was previously denied a visa and have since reapplied. On my second appointment, I was refused entry to the embassy because I used the DS-160 barcode with which I was denied on and advised to reschedule which I have done. My problem now is that my appointment date which is 18th of August is 3days after my program start date (15th, August).

I have informed my designated school official on my situation and he made a request to SEVIS to update the program start date to 30th. He also said that my current I-20 is valid for one month from the start date and therefore is not necessary to give me a new one with the adjusted date. My question is will I have a problem at the interview regards the dates? Looking forward to your reply asap.

Thanks.

Hello anyakarl-

We understand that there are issues - you will just need to explain your plan for starting late in addition to proving that you are a credible and qualified student.

Regards,
Student Visa Team
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 1:36pm On Aug 22, 2016
benjijosh:
Am a 400lvl student in a federal university
studying Mathematics here in Nigeria, I am so
mean to have my M.Sc in computer science from a
reputable university in The United States. Have
been hearing and reading a lot of issues about
denial of Visa here on NL so i would like if someone
could guide me through on how to start
processing. I am the last of the 4children in my
family, my dad is a retired civil servant (retired
Feb. 15) , I have two brothers and one sister, My
eldest brother is a civil servant and also own a
Business(printing on polythene) and I think he is
financially OK, the other one is self-employed. My
sister is a teacher in a secondary school. I would
love to know the minimum amount for tuition fee
and living expenses in any reputable university
over there(my dad is retired and yet to receive is
gratitude/pension but from the little he saved he
can still give 4million Max and my brother can still
support with 2million max) i can still afford to pay
for my flight and visa and for my exam any exam i
must take(profiency in English).
The only related person i have there is the sister
of my sister's husband.
what are steps needed to start processing??

what are the chances of me given visa?

do you think the fund at hand now is enough to
see me through for my stay?

is there anyway the govt. there could finance me
and i work for them after my studies?

do you know of anu individual/organisation/
company that is capable of financing me and i work
for them after my studies?

do you think am being too ambitious, maybe i
should just forget studying there?

or US isn't the place for me mayb i should set for
Europe(where in Europe)??

Between is there any scholarship for my kind(an
first class student currently on 4.63/5.0 scale)

Thanks in anticipation.

Hello benjijosh-

We can only help students who have been issued an I20. You should contact Education USA to start your search - they are a wealth of information on all the questions you have posed.

Regards,
Student Visa Team
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 1:39pm On Aug 22, 2016
Anuoluwapo89:
Good VO, this the first time I would be talking because have been a silent follower who enjoy this platform a lot even tho I join not long ago.
I went for interview yesterday at Lagos was at window 7 And was refused the was man ask why my sch which is Virginia international university fair fax I gave some reason and he said out of over 100 university in us why the sch I spoke he den refused me but now u have re apply and going next week and my sch is resuming on the 29th of this month what are my chances and what can I do to scale through this time pls God bless.

Hello Anuoluwapo89-

We cannot predict the outcome or give chances for applicants. You need to be prepared to answer questions about why you chose the school and the program and how it will help your career. There are over 4,500 schools in the U.S. and students MUST be able to give an in-depth, coherent reason for choosing a school based on their own needs and future goals.

Regards,
Student Visa Team
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 1:40pm On Aug 22, 2016
cseejhay:
hello AbujaNIV and LagosNIV, this is my first time to post on here....i have learnt alot from you guys.pls this is my question.....
If my sponsor is away from the country and would still be away at the time I'll be going to the embassy for F1 visa interview, can i attend the intetview with a scanned copy of her Statement of Account she sent to me through mail.Even though it is not required.can i present this if i am asked for a proof of finance.is the scanned copy valid? or i must ask her to get the original copy down to me.pls advise.Thank you.

Hello cseejhay-

We very, very rarely look at financial documents for students. Be prepared to speak about what she does that enables her to sponsor your education.

Regards,
Student Visa Team
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 1:42pm On Aug 22, 2016
blossomfarm:
hello niv. after being denied on Monday , i intend to book an appointment next tuesday and sch starts on the 29th of august. am i good to go?

Hello blossomfarm-

You are welcome to reapply.

Regards,
Student Visa Team
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 1:44pm On Aug 22, 2016
elbeee:
Dear vo. Thank U so much for this forum. Quick question. I currently intend on going for a second Masters in business administration in the US. I obtained my first Masters from the UK and returned back immediately to work in Nigeria. I have worked for 2years and 5months. I have been to the US twice within the last 2years on a visitors visa(stayed 2 weeks on each visit). And I travel to Europe very often. I now intend on applying for an f1 visa. My questions are as follows:
1. Will the fact that I have a prior Masters degree be an issue?
2.would the v/o take ones previous travel history into consideration when determining his case
3.should I attach old passports to my new one?
Your response would be highly appreciated.
God bless

Hello elbeee-

You can bring your old passports to the interview. You just need to explain your rationale for getting a second MA and how it will help your career. You will need to speak clearly and in-depth about why you chose the school and program.

Regards,
Student Visa Team
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 1:46pm On Aug 22, 2016
seunmarytemi:
hello good day, I applied for f1 visa and I visited the USA embassy on 19 of this month. I greeted her
Me: good morning ma
no response from her but ask
VO: can I have your passport and D160
I gave her
she ask what did u what to study in Wayne state university
I reply
me: I want to study English language
VO: how many years
me: two year
vo: what next
me: I will come back home
VO: sorry u are not eligible
so my question is why am I denied, because she didn't ask me for other document and also she never ask me question like why did u want to study English language, why not your own country, when u come back how will u use English to your profession

Hello seunmarytemi -

We cannot answer questions about specific questions, but you are welcome to apply again if you wish.

Regards,
Student Visa Team
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 1:48pm On Aug 22, 2016
Prince1980:
Hello VO,
Job well done, I have a B1/B2 Visa valid till March 2018, I am now planning to apply for F1 visa. My enquiry, would my B1/B2 Visa cancel if my F1 application deny?

Secondly, if F1 granted, would B1/B2 Visa still valid?

Regards.

Hello Prince1980 -

A person is eligible for multiple visas (B1/B2, M1, F1, P3, etc) depending on their purpose of travel and plans in the U.S.

Regards,
Student Visa Team
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Hydris(m): 2:08pm On Aug 24, 2016
Hello abujaniv...I must commend you for a great work you are doing... issue is that I went for my interview yesterday and got approval. But my Sevis fee payment wasn't reflecting so I was told to contact SEVP admin wjich I did promptly SEVIS I'd has been updated which I confirmed for myself...I have sent a message (email) to notify the embassy...but yet to get a response....I do not have much time left as I need to make plans...Kindly advise..thank you
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 3:54pm On Aug 24, 2016
Hydris:
Hello abujaniv...I must commend you for a great work you are doing... issue is that I went for my interview yesterday and got approval. But my Sevis fee payment wasn't reflecting so I was told to contact SEVP admin wjich I did promptly SEVIS I'd has been updated which I confirmed for myself...I have sent a message (email) to notify the embassy...but yet to get a response....I do not have much time left as I need to make plans...Kindly advise..thank you

Hello Hydris -

If the officer gave you back your passport, you need to drop it right away at one of the document collection centers, either the DHL in Isolo or in Victoria Island. If the officer kept your passport, they will be able to issue as soon as they are notified the SEVIS is reflecting in the system - it then takes 3 business days for the visa to be processed and returned to the DHL you indicted on your form.

Regards,
Student Visa Team
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Hydris(m): 6:01pm On Aug 24, 2016
abujaniv:

Hello Hydris -

If the officer gave you back your passport, you need to drop it right away at one of the document collection centers, either the DHL in Isolo or in Victoria Island. If the officer kept your passport, they will be able to issue as soon as they are notified the SEVIS is reflecting in the system - it then takes 3 business days for the visa to be processed and returned to the DHL you indicted on your form.

Regards,
Student Visa Team
Thank you for your prompt response..The Visa Officer kept my passport actually,..he said he could keep it until they are notified of my SEVIS which should be tomorrow or the day after...Can I go ahead and make travel plans cos of time constraint??.
Best regards
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 7:13am On Aug 25, 2016
Hydris:

Thank you for your prompt response..The Visa Officer kept my passport actually,..he said he could keep it until they are notified of my SEVIS which should be tomorrow or the day after...Can I go ahead and make travel plans cos of time constraint??.
Best regards

Hello Hydris -

We still don't recommend making and paying for travel plans until you have the passport in your hand, but that is up to you and your situation.

Regards,
Student Visa Team
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by WESTERNCR: 9:13am On Aug 25, 2016
Hello at abujaniv, my cousin received his I-20 from school yesterday but the school offered him one year English as second language as initial placement. No major was indicated on his I-20. Can he use this I-20 to onbtain F-1 visa being English language?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Nobody: 10:17am On Aug 25, 2016
Hello,

I am a newbie on this thread. I about to apply to a school in the USA, having met all requirements. The school doesn't require GRE for admission, instead they require a financial statement. From past posts, I read that the financial proof is not a requirmd document to be taken along for interview. My question is this : What do I say when asked about GRE score and financial proof if I don't take them along?

Thanks for your time and response.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by tecb: 4:01pm On Aug 25, 2016
Dear Abuja NIV,

A friend's son a student in the US was denied the US visa twice. The first appointment he was given the pink slip without an explanation. His appeal he was again denied and told that the first denial was because he had been denied U.S visa's on multiple occasions but after checking the visa officer saw this was not the case as he had just come back to renew his visa. But was denied based on the first denial. I wanted to know what is the next process.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 7:16am On Aug 26, 2016
stunning4real:
pls which school did u apply to without GRE.

Hello stunning4real,

You will need to explain why the school does not require the GRE and what you did instead to meet the admission requirements. You will also need to explain who is paying for your studies. None of which require documentation.

Regards,
Student Visa Team
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 7:19am On Aug 26, 2016
tecb:
Dear Abuja NIV,

A friend's son a student in the US was denied the US visa twice. The first appointment he was given the pink slip without an explanation. His appeal he was again denied and told that the first denial was because he had been denied U.S visa's on multiple occasions but after checking the visa officer saw this was not the case as he had just come back to renew his visa. But was denied based on the first denial. I wanted to know what is the next process.

Hello tecb -

We cannot comment on specific cases as there is always much more nuance than can be explained on this forum, but the basic answer is he will need to reapply. It would be helpful to bring in any old passports with past U.S. visas and to explain early on that he has traveled to the U.S.

Regards,
Student Visa Team
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by WESTERNCR: 12:40pm On Aug 26, 2016
Hello Abujaniv,
US school send I-20 through email while the original won't arrive after the interview appointment. Can the email print out be use to apply for visa?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Hydris(m): 12:50pm On Aug 26, 2016
Hello abujaniv..
Please I'd like to know how long it takes for Sevis fee payment to reflect at the embassy cos my Sevis fee was transferred from previous ID No on the first i20 issued to the I'd No. On the recent i20. Right after interview...
Thank you
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 1:00pm On Aug 26, 2016
WESTERNCR:
Hello Abujaniv,
US school send I-20 through email while the original won't arrive after the interview appointment. Can the email print out be use to apply for visa?

Hello WESTERNCR -

Yes, a copy is fine. We use the SEVIS number to verify everything in the system.

Regards,
Student Visa Team

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (36)

Dv Lottery 2012 Winner Meet Here / Adventure In Ireland / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.