Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,366 members, 7,819,315 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:16 PM

U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening - Travel (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening (186744 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (36) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by jah101: 5:20pm On May 03, 2017
abujaniv:
I think you answered your own question. If your program is completed, and you leave the country, the visa is no longer valid for reentry. If your SEVIS changes to reflect that you have entered OPT, then the visa is still valid till it's expiry or the end of OPT, whichever comes first.

My Visa wont expire until Jan 2018 and Yes i a have a new I-20 that reflect am now on OPT which i believe the same goes to my SEVIS,I asked earlier from my DSO in school yesterday and she told me my Visa is still valid but i should not travel without having a JOB on my OPT as that will be a proof that am coming back to work on my OPT....So am just all confused and i dont want it to be dye minutes i have to start preparing for my travel plans or cancellation .Am just very confused.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Talliusceciro12: 5:50pm On May 03, 2017
Hello,
Does partaking in the dv lottery disqualifies an applicant for a student visa. I understand immediately you see an applicant has entered the lottery before, you conclude the interview. Please is that true.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by filypo: 9:35pm On May 06, 2017
Dear VO,

First, in November 2003 I attended an interview at the US consulate in
Lagos, I was denied visa. Currently I'm in Dubai and in 2016 July I attended
an F1 visa interview here but was denied visa. The situation now is in 2003
my DOB was 01.07.1977 but my current passport is 01.07.1981 and my Form
I-20. I was asked by the VO the reason why there was a change of year in my
passport and before I could answer the question I was disqualified on that
ground.

How do I salvage the situation as the same school have re-enroll me with a
full tuition waiver and assistanship to work while studying. How do I defend
this misfortune that has befell me and has been plaguing me since that last
visa denial.

Can I use a lawyer? any information will be of great help.

Thank you in anticipation, waiting for your favorable response.

Philip
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by cosade(m): 12:27pm On May 07, 2017
abujaniv:

Hello ddare05,

Please do not ship passports through the mail - it is very risky for him to be in the U.S. without proper documentation and the risk of theft or loss is too great. The visa is what allows people to appear at the border and seek entrance - the CBP in conjunction with the SEVIS status are what determine how long a student can stay. If your son wants to travel to Nigeria, he will need to have a valid visa for his return - if that is after April 2017, then he could apply for Dropbox while he is visiting Nigeria.

Regards,
Student Visa Team

Dear Visa Team,

My daughter's F1 Visa would expire in August this year. She will be coming to Nigeria in early July for her sibling's wedding and return end of July. Her school would resume early August.

I sought for advice from the International Advisor she's attached to, on what she would need to do to maintain her status.

The advice I got was that nothing was really required from her except to register for the Fall semester before travelling out of USA. Reading the advice quoted above, it appears to me that she should renew her F1 visa in Nigeria before returning to the USA. If this is the correct situation, can she renew the visa before expiration? Her visa wouldn't expire until early August 2017 and she would return last week in July 2017.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 1:11pm On May 07, 2017
Answered on the NIV thread.
Talliusceciro12:
Hello,
Does partaking in the dv lottery disqualifies an applicant for a student visa. I understand immediately you see an applicant has entered the lottery before, you conclude the interview. Please is that true.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 1:19pm On May 07, 2017
Hello Glurssymum. Everybody needs their own DS-160 and I-20. F2s are exempted from the SEVIS fee. No additional documents are required, however, the consular officer may ask to see a bank statement or some proof of means to pay for the tuition and living expenses of two adults who will not be allowed to work in the United States.

Glurssymum:
Please house i need clarification. I just applied for my Msc to start by august, 2017. I am newly married (no kid yet) and applying for F1 visa with the intention of travelling with my hubby on F2. Will my husband be issued a separate I-20 form?, do we pay SEVIS fee twice?, are we to fill the same DS-160 form. what other requirements are expected of us. Is bank statement required? thank you
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 1:21pm On May 07, 2017
Hello cosade. She can renew the visa before it expires provided she's still enrolled and her SEVIS is active.

cosade:

Dear Visa Team,

My daughter's F1 Visa would expire in August this year. She will be coming to Nigeria in early July for her sibling's wedding and return end of July. Her school would resume early August.

I sought for advice from the International Advisor she's attached to, on what she would need to do to maintain her status.

The advice I got was that nothing was really required from her except to register for the Fall semester before travelling out of USA. Reading the advice quoted above, it appears to me that she should renew her F1 visa in Nigeria before returning to the USA. If this is the correct situation, can she renew the visa before expiration? Her visa wouldn't expire until early August 2017 and she would return last week in July 2017.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 1:27pm On May 07, 2017
Hello filypo. The United States takes biographical information --names, date of birth, etc.-- very seriously. Multiple dates of birth is a red flag for fraud. Even if it started as a mistake from the passport agency, you were complicit with the fraud when you used the passport as your identity document.

filypo:
Dear VO,

First, in November 2003 I attended an interview at the US consulate in
Lagos, I was denied visa. Currently I'm in Dubai and in 2016 July I attended
an F1 visa interview here but was denied visa. The situation now is in 2003
my DOB was 01.07.1977 but my current passport is 01.07.1981 and my Form
I-20. I was asked by the VO the reason why there was a change of year in my
passport and before I could answer the question I was disqualified on that
ground.

How do I salvage the situation as the same school have re-enroll me with a
full tuition waiver and assistanship to work while studying. How do I defend
this misfortune that has befell me and has been plaguing me since that last
visa denial.

Can I use a lawyer? any information will be of great help.

Thank you in anticipation, waiting for your favorable response.

Philip
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by man105(m): 9:49am On May 08, 2017
good work u do here ,vo.....I have a question ,someone who booked an appointment last year may and didn't show up for interview due to some circumstances that came up,does it have any role to play if same individual happens to apply this year for another category ,my point is will the vo ask about the previously non appearance thanks for your time.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 1:27pm On May 08, 2017
We answered this on the NIV thread.

man105:
good work u do here ,vo.....I have a question
,someone who booked an appointment last year
may and didn't show up for interview due to
some circumstances that came up,does it have
any role to play if same individual happens to
apply this year for another category ,my point is
will the vo ask about the previously non
appearance thanks for your time.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by filypo: 8:38pm On May 08, 2017
abujaniv:
Hello filypo. The United States takes biographical information --names, date of birth, etc.-- very seriously. Multiple dates of birth is a red flag for fraud. Even if it started as a mistake from the passport agency, you were complicit with the fraud when you used the passport as your identity document.

Dear VO,

Can you advise me on what to do next or do you suggest I move on and forfeit the scholarship? Is there anyway to salvage this situation?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 10:23pm On May 08, 2017
You have to make your own decision.

filypo:

Dear VO,

Can you advise me on what to do next or do you suggest I move on and forfeit the scholarship? Is there anyway to salvage this situation?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by electronic(m): 11:36pm On May 08, 2017
@AbujaNIV

Pls what happens when there is a slight error on a form i20 date of birth. Actually the date should be like 08 APRIL 1989
But was mistakenly written on the i20 form as
05 APRIL 1989

Can an electronic copy effecting the correction? would it be sufficient to go for the interview. Or should a new i20 be sent
Thank you.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 6:40am On May 09, 2017
Hello electronic.
There's no "slight" error in something discrete like a date of birth: It's either right or wrong. Your use of the passive voice, "was mistakenly written," avoids responsibility for the mistake. Either you entered it incorrectly or the school did. If it's you, I don't know what to tell you. If it's the school, then you owe it to yourself to get the mistake fixed immediately. Errors in critical biographical information can haunt an individual for decades.

electronic:
@AbujaNIV

Pls what happens when there is a slight error on a form i20 date of birth. Actually the date should be like 08 APRIL 1989
But was mistakenly written on the i20 form as
05 APRIL 1989

Can an electronic copy effecting the correction? would it be sufficient to go for the interview. Or should a new i20 be sent
Thank you.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by cosade(m): 2:03pm On May 09, 2017
abujaniv:
Hello cosade. She can renew the visa before it expires provided she's still enrolled and her SEVIS is active.

Thanks!
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by tejpot(m): 1:15pm On May 11, 2017
Hello abujaniv,

I scheduled for an appointment tomorrow and my Sevis fee is still being processed. Can I go to the embassy with a copy of the Cheque I have sent to SEVIS office. Can I be asked to come and show a proof of the sevis payment later?

Thanks
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by michael1385: 5:40pm On May 11, 2017
Pls my friend hold F1 visa while he was single but got married before leaving to the state. What can he do for his wife in order to get a visa to join him?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 5:54pm On May 11, 2017
Hello tejpot. You can go ahead with the interview. If the visa is approved, it can not be fully processed until the SEVIS fee is paid.

tejpot:
Hello abujaniv,

I scheduled for an appointment tomorrow and my Sevis fee is still being processed. Can I go to the embassy with a copy of the Cheque I have sent to SEVIS office. Can I be asked to come and show a proof of the sevis payment later?

Thanks
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by electronic(m): 6:32pm On May 11, 2017
abujaniv:
Hello electronic.
There's no "slight" error in something discrete like a date of birth: It's either right or wrong. Your use of the passive voice, "was mistakenly written," avoids responsibility for the mistake. Either you entered it incorrectly or the school did. If it's you, I don't know what to tell you. If it's the school, then you owe it to yourself to get the mistake fixed immediately. Errors in critical biographical information can haunt an individual for decades.

Issue Resolved
School Actually made the mistake.
They have rectified it anyway
Thank you.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Chisom123: 8:02am On May 12, 2017
Hello abujaniv,

Please, I am awaiting my I-20 from my school, but concerning the bank statements, my uncle would be the one paying for my studies in the US, my mom would be contributing but not high amounts, hope I would not get my visa denied because my uncle is sponsoring me. Also, on the day of my interview am I to come with only my uncle bank statement or should I come with both my mom and uncle bank statement.

Thank you and I would appreciate a response.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 1:50pm On May 13, 2017
Hello Chisom123. You may bring any documents you like, but the only required document is the I-20.

Chisom123:
Hello abujaniv,

Please, I am awaiting my I-20 from my school, but concerning the bank statements, my uncle would be the one paying for my studies in the US, my mom would be contributing but not high amounts, hope I would not get my visa denied because my uncle is sponsoring me. Also, on the day of my interview am I to come with only my uncle bank statement or should I come with both my mom and uncle bank statement.

Thank you and I would appreciate a response.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Michelleflores(f): 4:21pm On May 14, 2017
Thank God I found this page, dear V.O pls I need your help, I was issued a student visa after an interview session in Abuja last year's October but on getting to New York in November I realized my sevis was cancelled due to some errors the agent who got my admission letter made, so the homeland security adviced that I be issued a withdrawal of application form, cancelled my visa and Asked me to go back home and get another i20 and visa from Nigeria then come back,now I'm back home, do I need another interview or waiver, please what should I do next? It was a two years visa, was meant to expire in 2019. Thanks in anticipation of your response.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by martclems: 7:29pm On May 14, 2017
Pls any advice for F1 student visa seekers who haven't done the compulsory 1yr NYSC (youth service) before going for the interview?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 7:54am On May 15, 2017
We rarely look at marriage documents.

PrinceDekunle:
Dear VO,

As a married F1 applicant (not traveling with my wife and kid for now, but they will visit me during my stay in the US), I have a church marriage certificate with me, but yet to obtain the Local Government marriage certificate. Is it compulsory I come with the Local Government Marriage certificate or the church marriage certificate will do? Also, am I suppose to fill the dependant part of DS-160 even tho we are not going together?
Please I need clarification before I proceed.

Thank you
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 7:54am On May 15, 2017
Asked and answered on the NIV thread.

Michelleflores:
Thank God I found this page, dear V.O pls I need your help, I was issued a student visa after an interview session in Abuja last year's October but on getting to New York in November I realized my sevis was cancelled due to some errors the agent who got my admission letter made, so the homeland security adviced that I be issued a withdrawal of application form, cancelled my visa and Asked me to go back home and get another i20 and visa from Nigeria then come back,now I'm back home, do I need another interview or waiver, please what should I do next? It was a two years visa, was meant to expire in 2019. Thanks in anticipation of your response.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 7:56am On May 15, 2017
Youth service in Nigeria does not impact prospective study in the US in any way.

martclems:
Pls any advice for F1 student visa seekers who haven't done the compulsory 1yr NYSC (youth service) before going for the interview?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by adewotired: 5:11pm On May 16, 2017
Hello VO
My I-20 was just sent in today. However, my middle name was not included in it.
Should I go ahead with the visa registration with this form as it is or request a new one?

P.S: My middle name was included in my international passport
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by SilaV: 9:45am On May 17, 2017
Hello VO,

Please, I need a clarification as to whether there is a laid down rule as to the order of arrangement of documents( e.g. appointment confirmation first, followed by DS-160 confirmation,... etc). Again, should these documents be stapled together as or not. the reason I am making this inquiry is to avoid any form of "orientation" from the hustlers at the consulate.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by man105(m): 10:26am On May 19, 2017
good morning vo,how long can one stay before scheduling for another students visa? at what intervals??
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by man105(m): 10:27am On May 19, 2017
man105:
good morning vo,how long can one stay before scheduling for another students visa? at what intervals??
interview intervals
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by ebonyademi: 12:27pm On May 19, 2017
Dear VO, pls I need your advice.

My husband and I have yrs of work experience and traveled to the US in 2014 to have our baby and just renewed our B1B2 visa in march 2017.
Now we plan to go study in Spring 2018 in the US. We both have our admission letter and attending the same school. so this means that we will both be applying for F1 VISA INDIVIDUALLY .

My Concerns:
Should we apply together as a family or individually
The significant ties we have in home country is Land and House assets
How do we convince the vo that we would be returning after our studies since we r going together with the kids
Finance is from our joint savings and proceed from property sold which covers for a year

we both want to further our education to be more relevant in the labour market.....kindly advise

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (36)

Dv Lottery 2012 Winner Meet Here / Adventure In Ireland / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.