Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,797 members, 7,831,579 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 09:30 PM

The Crazy King. (A Story By Lucky Douglas Atafo ) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Crazy King. (A Story By Lucky Douglas Atafo ) (2214 Views)

"No Pleasure For Dead Girls" A Story By Mancrimes.. / CHOICES AND Chances(a Story) / The Promise Keeper ( A Story By Uncutz) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Crazy King. (A Story By Lucky Douglas Atafo ) by ojeland(m): 12:05pm On Mar 16, 2016
PROLOGUE
There is a local government in Niger Delta, {oil producing state} part of a country called Nigeria in West Africa. Based on traditional principle, the people hold their kingship in high esteem and expectation.
In this particular local government, they have oil wells that fetch them lots of money and at the same time, they draw attention from the state and federal government of the country.
The local government has light, road networks and small industries where everyone was managing to do one thing or the other for living.
The local government area comprises 7 villages and each village is been headed by a village head and his own village chiefs from each quarter of the village.
In the whole local government area they have a king and the village heads are his chiefs in the local government that maintain peace and order in their respective areas.
The death of the old king brings in the coronation of a new king that is well educated and has high level of exposure in the city before coming to the village to stay.
The kingship is being rotated among three families; the next in line in the family will take over the kingship.
Re: The Crazy King. (A Story By Lucky Douglas Atafo ) by ojeland(m): 12:17pm On Mar 16, 2016
SCENE 1
ACT 1
Men drinking and talking in a club house.
Man 1: I hope we have not forgotten about the coronation of our new king that will be taking place tomorrow?
Man 2: No. How can one forget such a thing that is once or twice in a life time?
Man 3: The good part of the coronation is that this is the first time for us to have an educated king.
Man 2: That is true and I believe this time our right that has been stolen by the oil companies on our land will be given back to us.
Man 1: I believe the new king will do more than that to help us.
Man 3: There is an old saying that says: “if you want to deceive a black man, put what ever you want to do into writing”. As an educated king let the white men put it into writing or into fire our new king will make sure all things come to our favor.
(They all say Amen and the light goes off)
Re: The Crazy King. (A Story By Lucky Douglas Atafo ) by ojeland(m): 4:15pm On Mar 16, 2016
SCENE 1
ACT 2
The coronation of the new king is done, and the citizens of the area {villages} are in high expectation that good things will start coming to the area.
The deputy governor, some members of state house of assembly, some local government chairmen and some royal fathers are in attendance.
After the coronation, the king comes out to address the people.
He stands on stage with his wife and other village heads, while the citizen stand on the ground, some carrying leaves, other clapping.
SUBJECTS: All are clapping and shouting in praise of the king.
KING: Greetings to everybody here, and to people that could not come to my coronation today. First of all I will say thanks to God for making me king, and may the soul of our late king rest in peace.
SUBJECTS: AMEN
KING: I am not a man of many words, but the few words I will say, will be enough to heal our wounds.
SUBJECTS: Clapping and shouting, in happiness.
KING: In this local government, we have so many oil wells from which the state government is using to make money yet, our schools are not so good; the roads are bad and no big industries to provide good employment opportunities for our people.
All I will say is that things will improve within a short period of time. All I need from you is to be law abiding.
SUBJECTS: Clapping/shouting.
Thank you and GOD bless you all.
SUBJECTS: Clapping/shouting.
The entire citizens are happy that a new king has come and apart from that he is very educated and exposed to modern things in the town, like development and education.

SCENE 1
ACT 3
{Women discussing on their way back from the king’s coronation}
WOMAN 1: The new king is young and I believe he is going to move this local government to the next level.
WOMAN 2: If you say so, but we have to look at his past record before coming to the village.
WOMAN 1: That is your own business.
WOMAN 3: I have the strong argument that he is going to make sure that we get good jobs from the oil companies in this area that have be milking us dry all this years.
WOMAN 2: Let’s watch and see the drama that will be played out either positively or negatively, because I have ill feelings about him, but he is still our king.
WOMAN 3: That is your own business
{They all leave the scene, laughing}
Re: The Crazy King. (A Story By Lucky Douglas Atafo ) by ojeland(m): 9:44pm On Mar 17, 2016
SCENE 2
ACT 1
{In the new palace well decorated, full air conditioned with royal and traditional works; two guards standing at the entrance of the door, with Mr. Henry the king’s friend}
MR HENRY: Should I say long live the king or good day my king?
KING: Whatever you say will be accepted from you, based on old friend’s sake.
MR HENRY: That is my king.
KING: You are welcome, my king.
MR HENRY: Thank you.
KING: Guards, bring us some wine.
GUARD: Okay, your majesty.
KING: How are the government and the city people?
MR HENRY: They are all fine. Your old colleagues sent their greetings.
KING: greetings accepted.
{The guard brings the drink, serves them and leaves}
MR HENRY: This is foreign wine, my king.
KING: Yes, should I be drinking dry gin? My friend, this is one of my benefits as a king.
{Both laughing and drinking}
MR HENRY: You are now the new king and the ball is in your court. So I hope you will remember people like me, your old and best friend?
KING: I will, and I am still thinking of what to do for my people and how the oil money will be shared among other things.
MR HENRY: Do things without creating problems, and I will be there to support you to the end, my king. Long live my king!
KING: How will I do things without creating problem?
MR HENRY: All you have to do is to keep all mouths closed and all hands crossed not to give you problem.
KING: How will I close all mouths and keep all hands crossed?
MR HENRY: You will do this by allowing them to have a little share of what will come out in any deal and that is all, but you will always have the lion share.
Last month when I was here during your coronation, those village heads whom I saw are so old and poor that whatsoever you give them will be accepted without thinking twice or trying to reject.
FRIEND & KING: Both laughing and shaking hands together.
MR HENRY: My king, try to make your money as soon as possible, as nobody can question your position as the king of this rich kingdom full with crude oil, “the water of the world”.
KING: I know and I will make sure I have a share on any thing going out of this place.
MR HENRY: Thank God you know about that and this is your time to make it; you knew why you were dismissed from service, get rich quickly and show the director and the permanent secretary that you can still make it despite the odd of your dismissal from the service.
KING: I will milk the community money dry and nobody can talk and by the time I arrive I will show the director and the permanent secretary little of my power.
MR HENRY: I will repeat myself again because I know that I am not from here; remember me in cash.
KING: I will do that and your life will change for good.
MR HENRY: That is my king.
KING: My problem is the local village heads that I was told are always truthful.
MR HENRY: A horse knows how to cross a river when it gets there. We will know how to take care of them when the time comes. Are they not human beings like us? Don’t they have desire for good things? Is blood not running in their veins? Or are they God?
{Both laughing and drinking, and the light goes off}
Re: The Crazy King. (A Story By Lucky Douglas Atafo ) by ojeland(m): 12:29pm On Mar 18, 2016
SCENE 2
ACT 2
(A lady comes into the palace to see the king)
Lady: Good day, my King.
King: You are welcome and what can I do for you?
Lady: Please my king, I am having problems with my late husband’s family.
King: okay.
Lady: The family of my late husband took all his property without leaving anything for me and the children he left behind.
King: What do you want me to do?
Lady: my king what I want is for them to return the car and the land so that I can sell it and start a new business to enable me take care of the family.
King: It is good that you came here, but what I will say is that you leave those things for them and I believe that God will make a way for you.
Lady: my king as I am talking to you I have nothing with me.
King: Should I give you my throne to use in feeding your children? I believe the answer to that question is no. So go home, you and your children will not die of hunger.
Lady: But…
King: Forget whatever you have to say and leave my palace.
Lady; Okay my king.
(She left and the light goes off)
Re: The Crazy King. (A Story By Lucky Douglas Atafo ) by ojeland(m): 4:18pm On Mar 18, 2016
SCENE 3
ACT 1
(The king in a private meeting with village heads 3 & 6)
VILLAGE HEADS 3 & 6: Long live the king.
King: You are both welcome to the palace.
VILLAGE HEAD 3: I thought this meeting was a general meeting, but I am seeing the three of us here and I hope all is well.
KING: All is well that is why you are here. What I need from the both of you is to work with me in form of loyalty.
VILLAGE HEAD 6: how?
KING: The way Jesus had his twelve disciples, a president has his ministers; they always do the bidding of their masters. That is what I want from both of you and I will make sure you benefit from what is coming into the kingdom.
Let me start from saying that one of you can been the second in command to me and the other one can be the treasurer of this great kingdom and other benefit that will follow.
VILLAGE 6: My king first of all, second in command is the oldest chief and the treasurer is made for a chief that have little knowledge of finance and as you can see the both of us do not fall into such category
VILLAGE HEAD 3: Lets not waste time on this. If you do the right thing we will support you and if you do the wrong thing we will not support you, and I think that is the end of the matter.
VILLAGE HEAD 6: Yes.
(Light off)
SCENE 3
ACT 2
{The king having meeting with other village heads}
[All the village heads are in the palace and almost one hour and the king is not with them.]
VILLAGE HEAD 1: Why has the king kept us waiting for so long?
VILLAGE HEAD 2: I don’t know what he is taking himself for, and he should know that this is the third meeting and we have a lot to discuss.
VILLAGE HEAD 6: Both of you are always in a hurry, let just wait a little while for the king.
{The king came in around twenty minutes later dressed with royal regalia and a royal cap on his head and he sit on higher chair while the two palace guard stand beside him}
VILLAGE HEADS: Long live the king.
KING: Greetings to you all.
VILLAGE HEADS: Greetings to you our king.
KING: This is the third meeting with you since my coronation and we have to go to the main matter as quickly as possible as we are not spending more than two hours in this deliberation, because I have other engagement to attend to.
VILLAGE HEAD 1: things are not done this way; you have to apologies to us for coming late to the meeting.
VILLAGE HEAD 2: you being a king does not mean you are higher than us, you should know that.
VILLAGE HEAD 3: Do both of you know that you are talking to the king?
KING: My chief, leave them, they will know with time. I know my limit and I also know that we all have equal right here and outside, is that not what you want. {Pointing to village heads 1&2}
VILLAGE HEAD 1: Let’s leave that aside. Our king, what are the plans you have for us?
KING: In the case of unemployment, I will see the governor and imply him to employ at least five people from each village and in the area of health we need more health centers, drugs and equipment in place of the old one’s. These are the two main important matters I will discuss with him.
Our schools also need to be renovated.
VILLAGE HEAD 4: That is good and we should start from there, but any time the late king went visiting the governor he went with two or three of the village heads.
KING: I will do that and please, we should try to always keep peace in our various villages by doing the right things.
{The meeting is closed, while the king leaves the palace with the guards moving behind him, and the light goes off}
Re: The Crazy King. (A Story By Lucky Douglas Atafo ) by ojeland(m): 6:39pm On Mar 19, 2016
SCENE 4
{In the king’s palace with his brother In-law that they both stayed in the city together before}
MR VINCENT: Good day, the great king.
KING: Good day, my in-law and I’m happy that you took your time to come and see me.
MR VINCENT: Thank you.
KING: You are welcome, my in-law.
MR VINCENT: You have changed totally; the kingdom is good for you.
KING: Thank you, it is God’s work.
{Both laughing}
MR VINCENT: On my way coming, I saw a vast kingdom and pleasant people to lead.
KING: Yes.
MR VINCENT: You better have plans to move your kingdom and people forward.
KING: {Laughing} they will take care of themselves, while I take care of myself.
MR VINCENT: I know you and what you can do. Make sure that you don’t make mistakes this time, because a man can not destroy his people and think the same people will still come back and help him.
KING: I have heard you, but just remember this is my time to be king and do what I think is the best.
MR VINCENT: The interest of your people matters a lot here if you want to succeed.
KING: Forget about my people.
MR VINCENT: My in-law, try to be honest with your people and don’t be hostile to them, and always give them listening ear any time they come to you so that your reign can be one of the best in history.
KING: I will try my best.
MR VINCENT: A man that doesn’t know where he is coming from will not know where he is going. You know what took you out of your work before coming to the village to stay. Now you have the opportunity to rewrite your name in gold, but is like you are heading towards the same direction.
KING: I am the king and my position is not answerable to anybody and I know what I am doing.
MR VINCENT: As a brother in-law, I am just trying to let you know that you can do better, I have to be on my way now; I wish you good luck in your throne and take care of yourself and mostly your family.
My last word for you is that the people that are supporting you now will no longer be there to support you by the time you fall; that was what happened to you when you were out of your job. So, you better have a rethink of your activities.
My advising is not because I am your brother in-law, but because I am older than you. The white hair on my head is not for joke but for wisdom. So be careful. It is not everyone that is happy for you being a king.
{Mr. Vincent goes out}
KING: Are you here to tell me what to do just because you helped me, when I was out of job?
Useless in-law.
{Light out}
Re: The Crazy King. (A Story By Lucky Douglas Atafo ) by ojeland(m): 7:33am On Mar 20, 2016
SCENE 5
ACT 1
{The king at the governor’s office with village heads 5 & 7, the wall is well painted and the air condition is blowing high}
{The governor comes in, the king and his chiefs stand up while the governor asks them to have their sit and the meeting starts}
GOVERNOR: Good morning, my king and his fellow chiefs. First of all, congratulations on your coronation as the new king.
KING: Thank you.
GOVERNOR: I know that this is the first meeting since your coronation and I believe we have a lot to talk about. Without wasting much time tell me what you have in mind and what your people also are in need of for now.
KING: Thank you for giving us audience and the willingness to help us with our basic needs. First, in the area of employment, at least, five people should be employed from each village by the oil company. Our health care centers are not in good condition; we need things like drugs, beds with buildings renovated.
The schools are also in bad shapes and need renovation.
GOVERNOR: These things will be done. You are to bring in the contractor yourself for the jobs.
KING: Thank you, your Excellency.
GOVERNOR: As a king, you and your chiefs should make sure that there is peace in your area, and anything given to the people should reach them at all cost, and my government will not take any sign of corruption from any group of persons.
KING: I and my chiefs will make sure that everything goes the way you want it to be.
GOVERNOR: Okay, my personal assistant shall come to see you; he has something for you and your chiefs.
{The governor leaves the scene}
KING: Gentle men wait here for me to go and see the personal assistance.
{The king goes to see the personal assistant}
VILLAGE HEAD 5: Why is he going to see the personal assistant all alone?
VILLAGE HEAD 7: I don’t know, but it is a shame for a king to go and collect money all by himself why his chiefs are with him.
This is one of the reasons I love the late king. Oh! May his soul rest in perfect peace.
All: Amen.
VILLAGE HEAD 5: The governor said the personal assistant will come to see us here.
VILLAGE HEAD 7: He doesn’t want us to know the amount being given to us by the governor.
VILLAGE HEAD 5: I think he is a crazy king with what I have seen of him
VILLAGE HEAD 7: If you think he like that, it is your opinion. As for me, he is a first class crazy king.
{The light goes off}
Re: The Crazy King. (A Story By Lucky Douglas Atafo ) by ojeland(m): 1:53pm On Mar 22, 2016
SCENE 5
ACT 2
(The king in the office of the Personal Assistant to the governor)
P A: Good day, Sir it is like you are the new king?
King: No, I am the bodyguard to the new king. If you don’t have brain to know that I am the new king, I am here to collect what the governor has for us.
P A: Sorry, Sir we are to bring the money to meet you.
KING: But I am here already.
P.A: Okay sir, please sign and take the money.
King: Better!
P A: thank you, Sir.
{The light goes off}
Re: The Crazy King. (A Story By Lucky Douglas Atafo ) by ojeland(m): 6:15pm On Mar 23, 2016
SCENE 6
ACT 1
{At the palace with his old friend from the city, drinking and laughing}
KING: My friend, how are you enjoying yourself?
MR HENRY: Just the way you wanted me to enjoy myself.
KING: How was the job and the remaining money?
MR HENRY: I have done everything according to plans; the drugs have been supplied, mixed with fake and original, but the fake is more. The doctors and nurses can not easily find out. In the area of the beds and mattresses, all those ones have been supplied as planned and we have a lot of money left. The same jobs are done in the schools.
KING: I hope everything is in order?
MR HENRY: yes, my king.
KING: What is my own share of the remaining money?
MR HENRY: Let me sign a cheque of fifty-five million (N55, 000,000) for you now.
KING: Ah! my friend, jokes apart. If you need more jobs from me you had better add something to it.
MR HENRY: Okay, I will make it sixty million (N60, 000,000)
KING: Good and fine! what are you waiting for?
MR HENRY: I am on it.
KING: Be fast before somebody comes into the palace and sees what we are doing.
You know palaces are like police station. Any body can come in at anytime without notice.
MR HENRY: True, sir.
{After the transaction, the king collects the cheque and puts it in his pocket. They are both laughing and drinking together}
KING: Do you know I am enjoying this throne?
MR HENRY: Without saying anything, it is showing all over you.
KING: I can now meet with the governor anytime I want. I have my own car and driver; my salary in a month from the state government is up to half a million and the local government is there to pay me my own allowance every month and other things that do come in.
If I should have served government for 35 years, I would not have got what I have got for this few months I have spent on this throne.
MR HENRY: You are in money.
KING: For me to leave this throne for nothing I’d better kill myself.
{All laughing and drinking foreign wine}
KING: Money is good!
MR HENRY: Long live the king.
KING: With out you saying it, I will live longer than the great Oba of Benin and sultan of sokoto, Emir of kano. Now I know why kings live so long on the throne.
MR HENRY: Why do kings live so long on the throne? So, I can go and fight for my town’s kingship.
KING: It is a secret so that you won’t go and kill your king overnight.
{Both laughing and drinking and the light goes off}
Re: The Crazy King. (A Story By Lucky Douglas Atafo ) by ojeland(m): 4:55pm On Mar 24, 2016
SCENE 6
ACT 2
{The king in the palace drinking foreign wine and a widow comes in with her son}
Both the widow and her son greet the king:
King: You are welcome. What can I do for you?
WIDOW: My king, this is my first son who is about writing his senior school certificate examination (SSCE) and I can not afford to raise the full money.
KING: What do you want me to do?
WIDOW: My king, to help us complete the money.
KING: I learnt your husband is late and it is not compulsory he goes to school; he can go to learn handwork in order to support the family.
WIDOW: I just want him to have his SSCE result so that at any time he can go to higher institution
KING: May be it is God’s plan for him not to go to higher institution and that is why he did not provide finance.
WIDOW: That is why we came to you my king.
KING: Okay, Is now you are talking; for now I don’t have anything here with me, but check on me in two days.
WIDOW: Okay my king.
{The widow and her son go out of the palace}
KING: Is this lady a witch? How come she knows that I was just given a cheque and also have raw cash with me.
Let her come back, that is when I will tell her the story of her life. Nonsense!
{ Light out}
Re: The Crazy King. (A Story By Lucky Douglas Atafo ) by ojeland(m): 8:41am On Mar 26, 2016
SCENE 7
{In the palace with some visitors, all seated}
MAN 1: Good day, our king.
KING: Good day and how are you all doing?
MAN 1: Fine, sir. We are from the association of cement dealers in this local government area.
KING: What brought you people to the palace?
MAN 2: One of our members is going against our agreed price of N1800, selling his own cement at the sum of N1600. We talked with him and he said that, that was how he wanted to sell his cement.
KING: What then do you want me to do?
MAN 1: To make him start selling his cement for N1800. We are not making much profit if we all start selling a bag of cement for N1600.
MAN 2: You are our king. Other members of the cement dealers association and I know how to appreciate you now that you are building your own personal house.
KING: Are you bribing or telling me what to do?
MAN 2: No, my king. Just a way to appreciate you.
KING: Allow me to do what I want to do, and the appreciation will come in a bigger and better way.
MAN: Okay, my king.
KING: Guard.
{Two guards come and the king ask them to follow the two men; the men go out with the guards and come back with the cement dealer 20 minute later}
MAN 1: Our king, this is the cement dealer.
{Pointing to a man that they come with}
CEMENT DEALER: Good day, our king.
KING: What is good about the day? And why are you selling your cement below the agreed price in this local government?
CEMENT DEALER: Sir, the price I am selling is not too bad, because I am still making my little profit. If they want to sell at the same price they can still make their own profit the way I am making my own.
KING: Young man, I want you to start selling the same price the other cement dealers are selling.
CEMENT DEALER: I am trying to help the people, just to reduce the cost of cement for them.
KING: As I have said earlier you had better start selling the same price they are selling or I will make sure your shop is closed down.
The people you are helping are my people. So, do as I have said.
CEMENT DEALER: I have heard you, my king.
KING: You can now leave my palace.
{They all go out, leaving the king alone and the light goes off}
Re: The Crazy King. (A Story By Lucky Douglas Atafo ) by ojeland(m): 10:38pm On Apr 04, 2016
SCENE 8
{At the palace of the village head 4}
NURSE: Good morning, chief.
VILLAGE HEAD 4: Good morning nurse, and welcome to the palace.
NURSE: Thank you sir.
VILLAGE HEAD 4: How are you enjoying your new facilities?
NURSE: That is why I am here to see you personally.
VILLAGE HEAD 4: I hope everything is okay.
{The nurse shakes her head}
NURSE: The drugs that were brought for us at the health center are not all good, meaning that 60% are fake.
VILLAGE HEAD 4: I don’t believe you.
NURSE: The beds are all fake and the worst part of it is that people have started taking the drugs for so long and this can lead to other diseases if not treated very early.
Some people will start suffering from different kinds of disease like malignant tumor, cancer, etc.
Apart from the drugs, we still need some other things to enable us perform our job well, which are not there.
VILLAGE HEAD 4: Nurse, you are destroying my brain with medical terms; just tell me what we are to do?
NURSE: What we have to do is to get new drugs and start treating people that have already taken the fake drugs.
{The chief puts his hand on his head, close his eyes and later open it}
That is the only solution to the problem now.
VILLAGE HEAD 4: I will get back to you as soon as possible, but you have to stop giving people those fake drugs. I will give you some money to go and get some real drugs.
Please, don’t let people know about it; let me see the king and ask him some questions, because he was the one that brought the person that procured the drugs for us.
NURSE: I am counting on you, sir.
VILLAGE HEAD 4: Just give me some time, and please use this money to get some real drugs for the health center.
{The nurse leaves the palace with money to buy drugs}
Re: The Crazy King. (A Story By Lucky Douglas Atafo ) by ojeland(m): 9:31pm On Apr 06, 2016
SCENE 9
{At the palace with the local government chairman and his councilors}
CHAIRMAN: Good day, our king. We are very happy to be in your presence, and to have your time.
KING: It is also my pleasure to have you people in my palace.
COUNCILOR 1: Thank you, my king.
KING: I called you people here just to ask you a simple question, and that is, will you people love to go for a second term in office?
COUNCILOR 2: It is never done in this local government, for one person to go for a second term.
KING: I asked a simple question you are telling me history. If you don’t know how to answer questions, always sit down to listen or ask a question instead of fooling yourself in public.
COUNCILOR 2: Sorry, my king.
COUNCILOR 4: We will love to come back for the second term in office, your majesty.
COUNCILOR 5: How can we do it without causing problem, my king?
KING: You people ask too many questions.
COUNCILOR 5: Sorry, your highness.
KING: I am the king of this area. So, I decide for the people and any one that wants to cause problem we will pick the person overnight and put him in jail for sometimes for his or her brain to clam down.
COUNCILOR 6: That is a good idea. I am in support of the motion.
COUNCILOR 7: What is it going to cost us, since nothing goes for nothing?
KING: I love people like you knowing that something goes for something, you are my man. {Pointing to councilor 7}
COUNCILOR 7: Thank you my king.
KING: From the allocation coming to the local government you will all be giving me some percentage to enable me settle other important people in the area.
COUNCILOR 7: What percentage?
KING: 15%
CHAIRMAN: It is too much; lets start with 5% and we will start paying you from next month, provided that the deal will work.
KING: Are we pricing tomato and fish in my palace?
CHAIRMAN: Our king, let’s start with 10% for now. With time, it can be increased.
KING: Okay, let ‘s start with that.
CHAIRMAN: How are we going about it?
KING: Leave that to me. A civilian does not teach a general in army how to win battle.
COUNCILOR 1: Long live the king.
KING: This should be a secret between us.
CHAIRMAN: Okay, our king.
{All councilors shouting “long live the king” and the light goes off}
Re: The Crazy King. (A Story By Lucky Douglas Atafo ) by ojeland(m): 8:42pm On Apr 10, 2016
SCENE 10
{In the palace with other chiefs, all chiefs murmuring}
KING: Good morning, my chiefs. How are your villages?
[All village heads answer fine]
KING: As you can all see, I am working very hard to make this local government develop and be in peace. So, let me hear if there is any other problem we have not touched in any village.
VILLAGE HEAD 1: My king, there are a lot of problems on ground. First, I want to know how the employment took place. To the best of my knowledge, the governor asked each village head to bring, at least, five persons, which I did. I wonder why they were not given appointment. Please, explain to us.
Is it only people that have PhD, masters or people that went to university that work in oil companies? I brought two people that went to university, they were not taken. Or must you go to London before you will be taken to work? My king I don’t understand.
KING: My chiefs, I submitted the names to the governor and he asked the oil companies to employ them. But some were not taken based on the reason of illiteracy or very low educational qualifications.
VILAGE HEAD 5: In my own case, I brought five people. Only two that were employed, were your sisters and brothers that were employed educated?, In addition to that, about 12-15 people were employed from your village alone.
We see people that are not from this Local Government Area being employed and we were told that you collected money from them to be employed. Why?
{The palace is full of noise and it takes sometime before peace could be restor}
VILLAGE HEAD 2: King you have done a wrong thing by allowing people close to you to be employed. What I have to say is, that a king that can not lead his people well will not last on the throne.
You have not spent up to a year on the throne but you have involved yourself in things you are not supposed to be involved in as a king. Be careful, because no man can fool the whole people without being fooled at the end.
VILLAGE HEAD 3: My king, my own case is about the renovation of the hospitals and the health care centers. In my own village, the nurses are complaining that some of the drugs are fake; the beds and the mattresses are all fake. How come? The project was done by somebody that is not from our area and I brought some people from our town to you to do the job but you refused to give them the job; why?
VILLAGE HEAD 4: Our king, in my village, there are cases of diseases caused by fake drugs. How are we to tell the people, that the government supplied the drugs while our people think that we the chiefs did the job, whereas you alone did the job?
VILLAGE HEAD 1: What about all the money the oil companies have been giving to the chiefs?
KING: My chiefs, you should all calm down. Has the sickness affected your houses? Leave them to treat themselves. From those works, some change came out of which we will share now to calm down your system.
My chiefs, there is a lot of money to spend.
VILLAGE HEAD 5: King, just be careful with what you say and what you do, because as for me, I will not take any money from you because people are dying because of this money and you want to share the money with us?
Our king, for many times, we have been to the governor’s office and he has been giving us money to share but till now, you have not shared any money with us, why?
KING: I will share the money with you now.
VILLAGE HEAD 2: I have nothing to say than to say you have not done well for this few months you have spent in on the throne.
You are too much in love with money; be careful, for things you do not expect may happen to you.
VILLAGE HEAD 1: My King, some news came to my hearing, that you called the local government chairman and councilors and told them to be giving you 15% of their local government allocation so as to run for second term in office. In this local government, nobody goes for second term for peace to reign, apart from the chairman.
Do you want to cause riot that will result to people’s death? Please, you better stop collecting money, because I believe that no chief will like to take part in it.
VILLAGE HEAD 6: We don’t want that money. The allowance from the government is enough to feed us every month. Thank you!
{They all start leaving the palace one after the other and the king stands}
KING: You can all go to hell for all I care and burn to ashes. This is my time to enjoy myself and get rich quickly and you local chiefs want to stand in my way. I will send you all to hell.
{They all leave the palace}
Re: The Crazy King. (A Story By Lucky Douglas Atafo ) by ojeland(m): 7:26am On Apr 19, 2016
SCENE 11
{In the bedroom with his wife}
QUEEN: My king, can we talk?
KING: Talk about what?
QUEEN: Why are you using question to answer question? By the way I want to tell you that the whole town is complaining of your leadership and administrative style.
KING: Let them complain, they all own their mouths.
And for your information, if people don’t talk about you in a negative way it means you are nobody in this world.
QUEEN: Before you were enthroned the fishermen and market women were not paying anything. You started collecting money from them and you are eating the money without using it to develop the market.
KING: My queen, you trouble yourself for nothing. Calm down and enjoy yourself!
QUEEN: I know you very well. I know how greedy you are, and how you love money and other things. I don’t want to say it in public. Know that if any thing happens to you, my children and I will leave you alone without looking back.
KING: Are you talking to your king in that way?
QUEEN: You are a king to yourself, not to me and my children.
KING: I will send you out of the palace and marry a younger woman that can obey me all the time without asking question or complaining all the time.
QUEEN: You better do that fast because there is no time to waste.
I was told the chiefs walked out on you today. What is the problem?
KING: Don’t mind them. They are hungry people that want to control me. I will not give them that chance.
QUEEN: I heard that the chiefs are complaining of the fake drugs and employment opportunities that were given to people that were not from here. I asked you about that and you said no problem.
You collected money just to give people that were not from your Local Government employment. You have done a very bad thing.
Mr. King, my advice is for you to go and ask for their forgiveness. If not the day they will descend on you………….
KING: They can not do any thing; they all respect me.
QUEEN: The governor is somebody that will not take all this corrupt act from you, because he is not a corrupt man
{The wife walks out of the room}
Re: The Crazy King. (A Story By Lucky Douglas Atafo ) by ojeland(m): 9:14pm On Apr 22, 2016
Scene 12
{On the road leading to the king’s palace}
RETIRED PRINCIPAL: Good day, the permanent secretary of our time.
PERMANENT SECRETARY: The educationalist, how is life with you?
RETIRED PRINCIPAL: We thank God for giving us the life to serve 35 years and to retire in good health.
PERMANENT SECRETARY: Thank God you stopped me. I was on my way to the king’s palace to talk to him about the mess I have been hearing about him
RETIRED PRINCIPAL: I am coming to your house to tell you the same thing. I guess we should be going to the king’s palace then.
{They both enter their different cars and move to the king’s palace; ten minute later at the king’s palace, waiting for the king. The king comes in 15 minutes later and both of them stand up for the king to sit down before taking their seats}
RETIRED PRICIPAL and PERMANENT SECRETARY: Long live the king.
KING: You are both welcome to the palace what do I owe to this visit?
RETIRED PRINCIPAL: Nothing much. I am a retired educationist. You were one of my students. And with me here is also a retired permanent secretary from ….
KING: I know him.
PERMANENT SECRETARY: We have come in respect of what has been happening in the Local Government since you became king and the latest problem of this fake drugs that have been killing people, and the employment. How did it all go, that people are pointing fingers at you?
KING: I owe nobody explanation of anything that is happening in my kingdom.
RETIRED PRINCIPAL: You may not owe us explanation but you should know that you owe the kingdom an explanation and which we are part of. So think of that.
Our King, be careful, because these people don’t like cheating at all. That is what we have come here to tell you.
KING: If you don’t have anything to say, you may leave because I have some private things to do at hand.
{The king leaves them in the palace and goes to the inner chambers}
PERMANENT SECRETARY: This is an insult on my personality by this boy that was dismissed from service.
RETIRED PRINCIPAL: He was my student some years back. little boys with their problems!
{The light goes off}
Re: The Crazy King. (A Story By Lucky Douglas Atafo ) by ojeland(m): 9:18pm On Jul 05, 2016
SCENE 13
{At the king’s palace with village head 2}
VILLAGE HEAD 2: Good morning my king.
KING: Morning and how are you doing?
VILLAGE HEAD 2: Fine! I have come in respect of the demand we made to the governor to help us with reliefe materials due to the oil spillage in my village.
KING: I have done that and those are the materials he said he could give to us for now. That ,we should manage it for sometime.
VILLAGE HEAD 2: These materials are not up to what he sent to us. This is just 20% of the total materials he sent to us.
KING: What are you saying? and where did you hear that?
VILLAGE HEAD 2: I saw when the materials were coming into the town. There were up to 10 trucks that brought in the materials, and this is not up to two trucks.
The people you sold them to later informed me of how much you sold the materials to them, and for that I am not taking anything from you.
KING: You are not serious; go to hell and collect the materials for your village.
VILLAGE HEAD 2: Thanks for the insult, but remember that I am your elder.
A proverb says: “a king that allows injustice to take place, what follows next is disaster”.
My king, anything you see next, you just have to take it that way.
{He leaves the palace in a sad mood}
KING: All these uneducated village heads that don’t want me to get rich quickly and at the same time enjoy my throne……………….
I hope I am not making mistake or am I going too fast in other to make money quick? But no problem, nobody can harm me and if the governor should hear about it, there is nothing he will do about it. He respects me a lot. It is just a matter of talking and everything will be over. He cannot arrest me!
The elites in my kingdom are beginning to talk bad against me; first of all, that retired permanent secretary will be put in prison to show the rest my level of power; followed by that retired principal that thinks he can write. I will start from there before the rest.
{He sits on the throne and the light goes off}
Re: The Crazy King. (A Story By Lucky Douglas Atafo ) by ojeland(m): 9:03pm On Jul 13, 2016
Scene 14
ACT 1
{In the village where there is oil spillage}
VILLAGER 1: Let us go to our village head and let’s know what is happening to our food and other materials sent to us by the governor since oil has destroyed everything that we had.
{In the palace of the village head 2}
VILLAGE HEAD 2: My people, what the governor sent to us was not given to me. It was given to the king to give to us. Until now, he has not given me anything.
VILLAGER 2: We believe you because you have been helping us in this village. Let’s all march to the king’s palace.
[On their way to the king’s palace. They meet the king’s son}
VILLAGER 3: This is the first son of the king in this fine and expensive car with a driver.
VILLAGER 4: Let’s beat his son! look at what the father did. Because of this fake drugs, I am very sick.
{The driver in the palace with the king and the queen}
KING: Where is my son?
DRIVER: We were attacked by some villager’s on their way to the palace, and they beat your son to death.
QUEEN: What? The queen starts crying, jumping up and down.
{She goes inside the house and comes out with her things, with her children about going out}
KING: Where are you going to?
QUEEN: Going to my father’s house to save my head from shame and death.
{The driver also leaves the palace through the back door}
KING: What will I do now? Look at what I have caused myself; I’m a crazy king. Because of my unwise behavior, I have lost my son and family.
All the money I have got I have not spent up to 10% of it; what a foolish part I have taken in life. God in heaven, save me.
{Ten minutes later, the villagers in the palace}
VILLAGER 5: Look; the king has hung himself.
VILLAGER 6: What a pity? What an end?
{Meanwhile, the governor has sent a set of anti crime policemen to arrest the king on the allegations leveled against him by the chiefs and the elites that the king was involved in the fake drugs that killed almost 20 people and financial mismanagement.}
VILLAGER 7: The police are around; what are we to do now?
VILLAGER 8: I don’t know.
{The police come into the palace}
POLICE MAN 1: Who and who are involved in the killing of the king’s son?
VILLAGER 9: We don’t know.
POLICE MAN 2: Then, you are all under arrest for the killing of the king’s son.
{Light goes off}
Re: The Crazy King. (A Story By Lucky Douglas Atafo ) by ojeland(m): 7:22am On Jul 16, 2016
Scene 14
ACT 2
{Light goes on in the house of the king’s friend (Mr. Henry) that supplied the fake drugs, drinking foreign wine and watching network news}
FRIEND 1: These people are eating Nigeria’s money. If am given the chance, I will do more than them.
{Knocking at the door}
MR HENRY: Yes, come in!
POLICE MAN 2: We are here from the state police command
MR HENRY: Yes, what can I do for you?
POLICE MAN 2: We are here to arrest you for supplying fake drugs and materials that killed up to 20 persons.
MR HENRY: I did as I was told.
POLICE MAN 1: Any other thing you say will be used against you in the court of law; you are advised to remain silent.
{They leaves the scene with him}
{THE END}

(1) (Reply)

Best Love Stories Ever To Be Told.[1st Edition]. Please Keep Following The Story / Let's Go Back To January 2014. / Must Read: The Church Accountant (season 4) 18+… Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.