Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,857 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:22 PM

My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA (18404 Views)

FAAN Bans Luggage Screening At MMIA Departure Hall / Emirates Airline Celebrates The April Fool's Day With This Insane Jet / Emirates Airline Suspends Its 2nd Daily Flight From Nigeria To Dubai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by AleAirHub(m): 2:44pm On Mar 18, 2016
bxcode:

This is not a matter of wishes, it's a matter of resisting evil in all it's ratification. God forbid bribery to be a normal thing with me!!

Wait until get to your turn and you can share the experiences also.
Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by Nobody: 2:49pm On Mar 18, 2016
garfield16:

It also highlights the fact that the problem with Nigeria are Nigerians themselves. Corruption in the system is endemic virtually every public officer is corrupt, if they refuse to change their ways what do you do are you going to sack all of them....and if you do who do you replace them with....people from the same larger corrupt Nigerian socierty?
. No, that your view is defeatist.if those caught were dealt with.others will borrow themselves sense. No one wants to return back to unemployment market. Using that your line of thought is so wrong.anybody caught should be dismissed. People will start behaving themselves

1 Like

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by Nobody: 3:04pm On Mar 18, 2016
tochimas:
. No, that your view is defeatist.if those caught were dealt with.others will borrow themselves sense. No one wants to return back to unemployment market. Using that your line of thought is so wrong.anybody caught should be dismissed. People will start misbehaving themselves

I am not defeatist, I am telling you the realities on the ground. 1 man cannot fight an institution that is corrupt they will overwhelm you because they will resist your change. What I am saying is that the real problem we have in Nigeria is corruption in society and if you take a stick approach it will fight back because every body is corrupt. so a good leader needs to make people understand that it is the people themselves that need to change, right now everyone is looking for change at the top as if Comptroller of customs is the one who asked the traveller for a bribe. You can shout all you want, an institution that does not want to change will not change. It's the same thing in the civil service as demonstrated by padding of the budget, was it Buhari that prepared or padded the budget? was is not the same citizens that voted for change that padded the busget? is it not the same citizens that voted for change that are demanding bribes at the Airport?
Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by Nobody: 5:08pm On Mar 18, 2016
garfield16:

I am not defeatist, I am telling you the realities on the ground. 1 man cannot fight an institution that is corrupt they will overwhelm you because they will resist your change. What I am saying is that the real problem we have in Nigeria is corruption in society and if you take a stick approach it will fight back because every body is corrupt. so a good leader needs to make people understand that it is the people themselves that need to change, right now everyone is looking for change at the top as if Comptroller of customs is the one who asked the traveller for a bribe. You can shout all you want, an institution that does not want to change will not change. It's the same thing in the civil service as demonstrated by padding of the budget, was it Buhari that prepared or padded the budget? was is not the same citizens that voted for change that padded the busget? is it not the same citizens that voted for change that are demanding bribes at the Airport?
Nobody is accusing comptroller of customs, he can only be accused if he receives complaint with evidence and he didn't do anything about it. And it's not I man fight, if everyone became a watch dog at every point in time everywhere, it must make head way. It's buhari' s administration and he can get those behind it and make an example of them, by the time we do sack and replace number of time with strict warning in the employment letter of the new entrants, they will sure get the message. Tell me, you countries like Malaysia , Singapore can embolden it on their passport , airport and everywhere that drug traffic is tantamount to suicide, why can't all this parastatals mount it everywhere as a warning to their staff, bribery collection and extortion is equal to termination of employment after which you face Court.corruption fighting by government is lip service and witch hunting. They know what to do. Especially the leadership, let there be availability of information, especially the ones that affect the mass, go to passport office at alagbon, you will never see any banner,anything to tell you how much the passport and various changes cost, you will have to depend on what those immigration officer thiefs tell you. If it can be boldly be displayed at Abuja immigration head office, then comptroller is also encouraging corruption by not making sure it's mounted and displayed at every passport office in the country.

1 Like

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by Nobody: 5:26pm On Mar 18, 2016
tochimas:
Nobody is accusing comptroller of customs, he can only be accused if he receives complaint with evidence and he didn't do anything about it. And it's not I man fight, if everyone became a watch dog at every point in time everywhere, it must make head way. It's buhari' s administration and he can get those behind it and make an example of them, by the time we do sack and replace number of time with strict warning in the employment letter of the new entrants, they will sure get the message. Tell me, you countries like Malaysia , Singapore can embolden it on their passport , airport and everywhere that drug traffic is tantamount to suicide, why can't all this parastatals mount it everywhere as a warning to their staff, bribery collection and extortion is equal to termination of employment after which you face Court.corruption fighting by government is lip service and witch hunting. They know what to do. Especially the leadership, let there be availability of information, especially the ones that affect the mass, go to passport office at alagbon, you will never see any banner,anything to tell you how much the passport and various changes cost, you will have to depend on what those immigration officer thiefs tell you. If it can be boldly be displayed at Abuja immigration head office, then comptroller is also encouraging corruption by not making sure it's mounted and displayed at every passport office in the country.

I agree with you but what I am trying to point out is that in any organization or society, it's the common man or foot soldiers, the unsung, nameless that ultimately execute your policies and directives and ultimately determine success or failure and if those people are corrupt, then your policies are just that...your policies. You may catch a few people a few times but nothing will really change. My point is, the real focus should be on re orientating the people because corruption is endemic, the vast majority of the Nigerian workforce today have never known anything other than a corrupt Nigeria.

I am a believer that a country is ultimately a reflection of it's citizens, leaders are corrupt all over the world, what sepeartes a country that isn't corrupt from one that is , is the level of corruption of the average citizen because they are the ones that do the dirty work.

Leadership can help but Buhari is not the one working at the civil service, granting a permit he shouldn't have grated, or the teacher giving a pass grade that is not deserved to a female student for special services or the secretary that refuses to take your file for payment because you haven't settled her or the mai guard that says Oga is not around because each time you come you never settle him. These are ordinary Nigerians, this is the real corruption.
Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by NONNYG: 6:38pm On Mar 18, 2016
BEST THING IS TO CREATE A SCENE AT THE AIRPORT WHENEVER YOU ARE BEING EXTORTED. then we go know who shame go catch
Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by yoged(m): 9:05pm On Mar 18, 2016
It's actually pathetic and so annoying . There should be cctv all over that place . Some weeks ago at that MMIA, I had issue with one immigration woman , I refused to give her anything . I was delayed for 20mins. Getting to the NDLEA, the foolish man was saying rubbish , showing one stupid paper that what am I going to do where am travelling to. lipsrsealed. Make I give am $100. Brought out my phone , Did the calculation $100*320=#32,000. Told. I will be stupid to give him such amount and I no even get $ for hand . I had to part with 3k. Was running out of time . Those people are animal .
Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by truetrue: 10:11pm On Mar 19, 2016
You succeeded in telling us how you were made to go to the office, could you sincerely please tell us exactly what transpired at the office? Where you told to drop any of the items you were carrying, and if yes, what was it and what was their reason? Secondly, did the man at the office actually asked you for bribe, say the truth and be free from guilt. Whatever you say, remember, the Almighty God is watching, and to every human action, there is a reward. Where you actually asked for a bribe or you were asked to follow the stipulated rules guiding the taking out of Agricultural produce outside the country?

1 Like

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by truetrue: 10:18pm On Mar 19, 2016
But be informed that I am not in any way in support of corruption in all it's ramification. But be assured that lies can never go unpunished......
Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by Nobody: 1:28pm On Jul 08, 2016
Now in the whole of the emotional outburst on this matter, can someone suggest what steps are involved for travelling with food items:

- where is the quarantine office located at MMIA?
- what are the food items prohibited from travelling with?
- how much is a certificate?
- the quarantine website is not providing any clues

Answers are important and necessary please....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Guyana Visa How Is It Obtain In Nigeria / British Airways Urges Travellers To Drop Their Luggage A Day Before Travel / The Nigerian Passports Will Henceforth Be Produced Locally

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.