Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,993 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:38 AM

My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA (18407 Views)

FAAN Bans Luggage Screening At MMIA Departure Hall / Emirates Airline Celebrates The April Fool's Day With This Insane Jet / Emirates Airline Suspends Its 2nd Daily Flight From Nigeria To Dubai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by whizcartel(m): 10:47am On Mar 18, 2016
seunlayi:
Is that a airport or a local glorified bus Park?
even for bus park dem no dey take bribe.
Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by plaetton: 10:48am On Mar 18, 2016
sonOfLucifer:

Lol. Plaetton, you dey see. Tomorrow, this one go open Jesus Christ thread for religion section. So much religion, no morals, no idea of what is right or wrong. It's all abut survival to the detriment of the society. Jesus be weeping in Abraham's bosom...

Don't mind him.
He obviously doesn't understand the crap that he preaches.
Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by zoomzu(f): 10:48am On Mar 18, 2016
Lets pass the information through Ben Bruce.
Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by subzidi: 10:49am On Mar 18, 2016
MrPresident1:

Story!

You, are you a saint? Are you in-corrupt and incorruptible? Answer my question but remember if you give a false answer thunder will fire you right there where you stand!

Liars.
Yes I am, because I know who I am in Christ Jesus! A minute all the earthly treasures are gone so why should I soil my soul! I need a new Nigeria devoid of corruption for my children! I will shout it on the mountain top even I am the only one! I refuse to settle for less! Nigeria must be good again! And you, I wish God grants you the opportunity to travel outside the confines of Nigeria to Europe/America so you know how things are done! Bribery is evil no matter how little or form it comes across! We have the potential to be a great nation unfortunately we treat this country as though it doesn't belong us or when we spoil it we have another one to run to! Would you join me in saying no to corruption in all facets of our societal life and if you have been collecting bribes please stop! A Chinese proverb says, it does not matter how long you've been doing a bad thing just STOP!!!!
Let's save Nigeria from the cancer of bribery /corruption!

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by dikeigbo2(m): 10:50am On Mar 18, 2016
MrPresident1:
What is the essence of this thread? To make the officers lose their jobs is why you put their names, right? Who will do the firing, the ogas they are reporting and 'returning' to?

OP, are you a saint, you have never taken or given bribes? What are you going to do in Dubai, is it legitimate business?

Thunder fire you there!

A glorified hediot speaking, one of those never do wells that are condoning evil,.... If don't desist, evil will eventually consume you.
angry
Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by henrydadon(m): 10:51am On Mar 18, 2016
it shall never be well with those immigration officers....they will never have peace in their live....i will never forget what they did to me last year...oloshi people made me miss my flight

1 Like

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by Clakyvip: 10:51am On Mar 18, 2016
MrPresident1:

Point to the curse I have 'rained' on people. You leave motes and beams untouched in your own eyes yet see clearly the splint in others.

And I will not pray for you, I will only pray for the hastening of your punishment.

Country of hypocrites and sycophants.

If you are a saint, cast the first stone!
These things are not done in other countries, yet they are not Saint, we r not talking about saints here, this is not a church. Are you saying thieves n murders should not b prosecuted coz we r not Saint. We r talking about morals n proper things. Thunder firing others is a curse.

3 Likes

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by emeviks: 10:55am On Mar 18, 2016
those people need to be checkmated.
Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by galantjoe(m): 10:58am On Mar 18, 2016
but op. seriously when u carry any agricultural produce like garri one must provide quarantine certificate.
so you ought have obtained the quarantine certificate before queuing in the line. such that u will just show them
ur certificate.

Corruption will always thrive in Nigeria if nigerian always seek short-cut, cut corners or by-passing the official procedures.

the op action encourages corruption in the system. so even he will be arrested for evading the payment of required fee to
govt agency responsible for quarantine services.

that is my opinion.
Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by hob(m): 11:07am On Mar 18, 2016
Na over sabi workers...glad u didn't give them shite
Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by aameyah(f): 11:14am On Mar 18, 2016
skytanics:
This was what my friend passed through in the hands of Quarantine officers at the Muritala Mohammed International Airport and almost missed his flight. I know many others have experienced this extortion from these people giving Nigeria bad name, so we need to stop them.

Read what happened..

Please, I had a terrible experience on Saturday afternoon 12-03-2016 at Muritala Mohammed International Airport.
I had an Emirates flight EK784 to Dubai scheduled to leave by 1420hrs. While on the queue, I saw the customs official - a man and the quarantine officer- a woman taking bribe from almost all the passengers before my turn. Bags were not even checked properly. When I approached the government officials desk with my bags, the customs officer on duty (ANDONG DAN) and quarantine officer - a woman (OLUBUMMO E.A.) told me to pay 4,000 Naira bribe to N.L. SULEIMAN also a government official on the desk. I had two pieces of Eutymol tooth paste, 4 packets of tetmosol soap, some clothes, books, garri and beans in my bags. I did not carry anything unlawful as far as I know.

I told them I will not pay any kobo, rather, I will do whatever the law says. Immediately, ANDONG DAN and OLUBUMMO E.A. shouted at me and asked me to go and look for a quarantine office and collect certificates for two pieces of Eutymol tooth paste, 4 packets of tetmosol soap, some clothes, books, garri and beans . I asked them, to tell me the provision of the law and that, I was ready to drop whatever is not permitted in my bag.
They refused to attend to me, the quarantine woman said my eyes would see it, before I get back from the quarantine office, I would have missed my international flight.
But, I kept demanding for justice. After a while, they described quarantine office in the airport to me. I had to rush to the quarantine office and if not for God, I would have missed my flight because I refused to pay bribe.

Please let us put this kind of officers where they belong by letting the authorities know what is happening.

It's true.
Something a little bit similar happened to me. Though I don't have the names of the officers.
I had a flight to Dubai on the Emirates. Once those immigration people saw that my passport was virgin, they referred me to a far desk. There, an officer attempted to extort me by asking me for my PTA. And also that how are they sure I am not trying to run away from Nigeria etcetera.

That the government has mandated all travellers to hold pta. Meanwhile I had my card, and I had my job ID. I am well paid in Nigeria, where am I running to?
And my fiance had travelled ahead with about 4,000 dollars and would meet me at the airport. They said they must see my account statement.

When they saw I wasn't ready to part with a kobo, they asked me to write a statement and then asked an official to take me somewhere. The official was now telling me I would miss my flight and that where they were taking me, I would see all the people there, girls like me, weeping.
Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by Kenmoris22: 11:19am On Mar 18, 2016
Until they put death penalty or life inpresiment to any corrupt person in Nigeria I bate u this country will never be free of corruption .go to china and see how they tackle it

1 Like

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by aameyah(f): 11:21am On Mar 18, 2016
Na so I sharply call home o. My folks contacted one of the immigration ogas. Immediately they saw that this one will put them in trouble, they started soft peddaling. I kukuma sat in the room they asked me to. Holding my knapsack tight before they would slip something incriminating inside.

Anyways, they had to leave me without giving a kobo to them. They assigned a lady to assist me meander my way so I wouldn't miss my flight after the delay they caused.

When I was about to leave the lady, she now started begging for appreciation for her hard word. Mtcheeww!

Those people ehn?
Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by seyenko(m): 11:34am On Mar 18, 2016
Report to:

Call: Public Relation Officer (PRO) 09-5234694,
Fax: 09-5234694 or

Send an e-Mail to us at: complain@customs.gov.ng.

skytanics:
This was what my friend passed through in the hands of Quarantine officers at the Muritala Mohammed International Airport and almost missed his flight. I know many others have experienced this extortion from these people giving Nigeria bad name, so we need to stop them.

Read what happened..

Please, I had a terrible experience on Saturday afternoon 12-03-2016 at Muritala Mohammed International Airport.
I had an Emirates flight EK784 to Dubai scheduled to leave by 1420hrs. While on the queue, I saw the customs official - a man and the quarantine officer- a woman taking bribe from almost all the passengers before my turn. Bags were not even checked properly. When I approached the government officials desk with my bags, the customs officer on duty (ANDONG DAN) and quarantine officer - a woman (OLUBUMMO E.A.) told me to pay 4,000 Naira bribe to N.L. SULEIMAN also a government official on the desk. I had two pieces of Eutymol tooth paste, 4 packets of tetmosol soap, some clothes, books, garri and beans in my bags. I did not carry anything unlawful as far as I know.

I told them I will not pay any kobo, rather, I will do whatever the law says. Immediately, ANDONG DAN and OLUBUMMO E.A. shouted at me and asked me to go and look for a quarantine office and collect certificates for two pieces of Eutymol tooth paste, 4 packets of tetmosol soap, some clothes, books, garri and beans . I asked them, to tell me the provision of the law and that, I was ready to drop whatever is not permitted in my bag.
They refused to attend to me, the quarantine woman said my eyes would see it, before I get back from the quarantine office, I would have missed my international flight.
But, I kept demanding for justice. After a while, they described quarantine office in the airport to me. I had to rush to the quarantine office and if not for God, I would have missed my flight because I refused to pay bribe.

Please let us put this kind of officers where they belong by letting the authorities know what is happening.

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by kYjelly2: 11:38am On Mar 18, 2016
galantjoe:
but op. seriously when u carry any agricultural produce like garri one must provide quarantine certificate.
so you ought have obtained the quarantine certificate before queuing in the line. such that u will just show them
ur certificate.

Corruption will always thrive in Nigeria if nigerian always seek short-cut, cut corners or by-passing the official procedures.

the op action encourages corruption in the system. so even he will be arrested for evading the payment of required fee to
govt agency responsible for quarantine services.

that is my opinion.

No, he will and should not be arrested angry

All the official would have to do is kindly tell him what and what in his luggage would need the certificate. At least that's what would happen in the U.S, cause if you really think about it, a lot of flyers around the world are mostly ignorant to the ever changing laws regarding what you can carry with you, on a country to country basis.

I do get your point however, but that would mostly apply when wrong doing is immediately punishable by law and the said law breaker tries to bribe his/her way out. An example of this would be bribing a police officer when you get caught in a traffic infraction, like say you beat a red light and offered the guy 5k.

To tell you the truth, we are all guilty to some extent, but we can't give up just cause we aren't perfect, after all, no human is.

So in essence, authorities must set the tone and be the most liable simultaneously.

Do you think if not for strong institutions of law and order in the United States, that their citizens won't be acting "Nigerian"? Look, an average white dude would piss in the Bush if they were really pressed with no public restroom around, but being that the law is so strong there, what you have would be an overall majority deciding to pee in their cars or hold it military style, rather than risk getting caught peeing in public by a law enforcement agent.

So yeah, law enforcement is by far the most liable and we should hold them accountable, after all, they do have the power to arrest you for giving the bribe, but you don't have the power to do the same to them for asking.

4 Likes

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by sammade: 11:49am On Mar 18, 2016
It's just sad. The airport is in a state, yet all the oga at the top that should do somthing about it travel all the time . they see it and just do nothing. It's just as if Nigerians Dont know what STANDARDS should be.
Where else do they do the kind of checking they do at the MMIA? Not in dubai, not in the USA. They extort shamelessly. Unfortunately I doubt if PMB will read this. It just weakens. I Taya for the country and we the people.
Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by Nobody: 11:55am On Mar 18, 2016
skytanics:

Read what happened..

try an get ahmeed ali no that he gave out for any compliant he has been on dismissal mode for quiet some time...I think a cctv where the wil be monitored 24.7 will solve this
Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by ijebu2020: 12:36pm On Mar 18, 2016
Op pls send ths also to other blogs and bloggers, .these criminal in uniforms shld be dealt with
Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by conyema12(m): 12:46pm On Mar 18, 2016
subzidi:

You should really be very ASHAMED of yourself! Your type is the reason why the country is the way it is today! We want a better country yet nobody wants to change!
Why should the officials demand for bribe from him? If their salaries are not enough the right thing to do is resign from the job and look for better paying job or go to farm! For God's sake i don't get this attitude of because everyone is doing a bad therefore it becomes acceptable! That is a very wrong attitude and it needs to stop! Have you even considered the security implication of these corrupt govt officials collecting N4k and passing off a bomb in one of an unsearched luggage? Your type will still come here to lament when a bomb goes off in the plane and perhaps you lose someone dear to you(God forbid) then you'd understand the evil in what those airport officials are doing!
Bribery in any form is evil and it's a cancer that needs aggressive approach by every Nigerian!
I will take it upon myself to make sure that this case gets the publicity it deserves! And I will not stop at that. In fact, I will plant a hidden camera on my next trip to catch and disgrace these corrupt officials!
The new Nigeria we all yearn for starts from all of us! I don't care if the officials lose their jobs so long as the interest of larger populace which is security is protected!
We must all rise up to say no to corruption at all levels!
Pls repent from this mentality!!

God bless you

1 Like

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by patani(m): 12:50pm On Mar 18, 2016
The truth is, all government officials at MMIA are so unprofessional. They demand for bribe as if they are hungry. At any sight of airline passengers, they see it as a means to extort money. Not knowing they are not the only underpaid worker in Nigeria.

I cant count how these set of people have embarrassed Nigeria in front of many foreigners
Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by Bluffly: 1:12pm On Mar 18, 2016
kimond101:
Capital punishment should be given to anyone involved in corruption. That would sporadically reduce the level when some people are made scape goats.

But is this country ready for capital punishment?! I don't think so, because the rights we have over the government they have refused to provide such as constant electricity, good roads, good health care amost others. Even though that doesn't justify being corrupt.

Before we can change the condition of this country we have to change the condition within our own selves. How do we so that?! We follow procedure and stand against corruption same way the OP did.

OP the corruption on those desk at MMIA is disgusting. And it's been like that for a long time. More like corporate beggers in uniform. They know what is right but they feel it's their post of assignment and if they are not sharp about it they can't make it in life with the salary they are being paid by the FG.

Kudos OP!

The problem with corruption in this country is that everyone wants to live large. It's not about the salary but living big. Until we learn to leave within the scope of our earnings and ou r leaders stop acting as if-if you are not rich are are one
Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by ClintonDal(m): 1:16pm On Mar 18, 2016
This is not new. Same thing happens every time you carry food items. I was made to pay 2k during my last trip out of Nigeria. Even the airline staff are criminal too. I had an over weight of 13kg and was asked to pay 50dollars per extra kg. I just had to painstakingly re-distribute my luggage to balance it. You're lucky u didn't miss ur flight.
Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by dhamilaray(m): 1:38pm On Mar 18, 2016
Tell me where there is no corruption.if u had given them 2k dey would release you which is more better than missing ur flight and paying 150-200 dollars.use ur discretion
Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by otokx(m): 1:41pm On Mar 18, 2016
First rule is to go early to the airport but that aside, most Nigerians leave above their salary with the balance coming from extortion.

Every office in Nigeria is affected but for few staff who decide to be as Job.
Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by otokx(m): 1:45pm On Mar 18, 2016
aameyah:
Na so I sharply call home o. My folks contacted one of the immigration ogas. Immediately they saw that this one will put them in trouble, they started soft peddaling. I kukuma sat in the room they asked me to. Holding my knapsack tight before they would slip something incriminating inside.

Anyways, they had to leave me without giving a kobo to them. They assigned a lady to assist me meander my way so I wouldn't miss my flight after the delay they caused.

When I was about to leave the lady, she now started begging for appreciation for her hard word. Mtcheeww!

Those people ehn?

Its a pity, we need to stop Extortion in our offices, The religious leaders should preach against it and stop celebrating wealth.
Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by bxcode(m): 2:00pm On Mar 18, 2016
AleAirHub:
Bro!!!.
Sorry about your experience embarassed embarassed embarassed since the increment in dollar rate their bribe has turn to be Nigeria currency called naira before then; their bribe is on foreign currency of any passenger traveling out...

I hate them with passion!!! embarassed embarassed embarassed
Why are those travelers giving them what they demand
Everybody is playing it safe and avoiding delay, yet we all are living like endangered specie in our own land.
I can't wait to encounter such guys at the airport, neither of us will have no rest that day. I will forfeit my flight, while they will suspend their work that day if not indefinitely. God, I hate any form of evil. It's really nauseating!

3 Likes

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by bxcode(m): 2:12pm On Mar 18, 2016
subzidi:

Yes I am, because I know who I am in Christ Jesus! A minute all the earthly treasures are gone so why should I soil my soul! I need a new Nigeria devoid of corruption for my children! I will shout it on the mountain top even I am the only one! I refuse to settle for less! Nigeria must be good again! And you, I wish God grants you the opportunity to travel outside the confines of Nigeria to Europe/America so you know how things are done! Bribery is evil no matter how little or form it comes across! We have the potential to be a great nation unfortunately we treat this country as though it doesn't belong us or when we spoil it we have another one to run to! Would you join me in saying no to corruption in all facets of our societal life and if you have been collecting bribes please stop! A Chinese proverb says, it does not matter how long you've been doing a bad thing just STOP!!!!
Let's save Nigeria from the cancer of bribery /corruption!
Your first statement shows where the passion comes from. Keep it up, you are not alone. It's a pity that evil is a norm in Nigeria. The problem with this country is not actually our leaders, it's we the masses. We are so comfortable with corruption and bribery that our leaders know that they can't be held responsible because we are just like them. At every nook and cranny of this country, it oozes stench of bribery and evil orchestrations and yet we blame our leaders and when you voice out people call you holier than thou. It's a sick country honestly. I've made up my mind that I will never ever ever give in to bribery in this country no matter what it will cost me, so help me God.

3 Likes

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by AleAirHub(m): 2:13pm On Mar 18, 2016
bxcode:

Why are those travelers giving them what they demand
Everybody is playing it safe and avoiding delay, yet we all are living like endangered specie in our own land.
I can't wait to encounter such guys at the airport, neither of us will have no rest that day. I will forfeit my flight, while they will suspend their work that day if not indefinitely. God, I hate any form of evil. It's really nauseating!

Hmmm lipsrsealed . How i wish this can of your suggestion will prove or yield result at the checking point then the writer or Op will not bring this issues here...

Infact the act is now a normal thing at the airport tongue tongue tongue

I will be waiting for your own experience very soon....

Bravo!!!
Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by walata2011(m): 2:21pm On Mar 18, 2016
Why is corruption so entrenched in every facet of Nigerian society. What will quarantine officer and custom do with toothpaste.
Those miscreants in uniform can never stop bringing shame to this country.
Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by bxcode(m): 2:25pm On Mar 18, 2016
dhamilaray:
Tell me where there is no corruption.if u had given them 2k dey would release you which is more better than missing ur flight and paying 150-200 dollars.use ur discretion
Corruption is bad sir! You will give them 2k because you are only thinking about yourself, do you know if the next person they will collect 2k from and give a free pass is a terrorist with IEDs in his bag? Your guess is as good as mine.

3 Likes

Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by gboyeng: 2:25pm On Mar 18, 2016
My experience was that i was accused of carrying two laptops. so they demanded for bribe, then i asked them what law prevent me from having two laptops? Na my offense be that o! waited for 1 hour before immigration officers allowed me to go. we need to keep reporting these guys... No developed country will allow this kind of criminals.
Re: My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA by bxcode(m): 2:32pm On Mar 18, 2016
AleAirHub:

Hmmm lipsrsealed . How i wish this can of your suggestion will prove or yield result at the checking point then the writer or Op will not bring this issues here...

Infact the act is now a normal thing at the airport tongue tongue tongue

I will be waiting for your own experience very soon....

Bravo!!!

This is not a matter of wishes, it's a matter of resisting evil in all it's ratification. God forbid bribery to be a normal thing with me!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Guyana Visa How Is It Obtain In Nigeria / British Airways Urges Travellers To Drop Their Luggage A Day Before Travel / Burial Of Chinedu Emeyazia Victim Lokoja Explosion "Touching Pictures"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.