Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,595 members, 7,812,952 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:25 PM

Wedding Thanks Giving Problems. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Wedding Thanks Giving Problems. (1717 Views)

How Virginity Almost Destroyed My Marriage - Thanks To Nlanders / Some Sweet USUALS Every Husband Is Supposed To Be Giving To His Wife / Husband, Wife In Shock After Giving Birth To Dwarf (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wedding Thanks Giving Problems. by CheeMoney(m): 10:38am On Jul 22, 2009
I'm here again to get the view of my fellow members on nairaland. My wedding is in a month's time & will be taking place in my wife's church. Now my family is insisting that the thanks giving be held in my own family church & not my wife's church on the sunday after the wedding. Pls I want to know if its right to go to another church instead of the church the wedding took place? This matter is raising a heated arguement. I think it should be on the church the wedding took place. Bottom line "WHERE SHOULD WEDDING THANKS GIVING TAKE PLACE?"
Re: Wedding Thanks Giving Problems. by GEW: 10:46am On Jul 22, 2009
CheeMoney:

I'm here again to get the view of my fellow members on nairaland. My wedding is in a month's time & will be taking place in my wife's church. Now my family is insisting that the thanks giving be held in my own family church & not my wife's church on the sunday after the wedding. Pls I want to know if its right to go to another church instead of the church the wedding took place? This matter is raising a heated arguement. I think it should be on the church the wedding took place. Bottom kind "WHERE SHOULD WEDDING THANKS GIVING TAKE PLACE?"
wedding is a tough institution without your extended family adding their wahala. so dont go looking for one. there are no rules about things like this. just learn to make everyone happy. if your wife family love their daughter they would easily let you go do thanksgiving in your parents church.

that was what we did. it makes everyone happy.

you may choose to do it your way and live to regret the wahala it will start cos you know our people dont forget easily. that is the last pressure you want on your wifes head. if you can talk your parents out of it do but if you cant let your wife do the needfull as they say. wedding and thanksgiving is some few hours but marriage is a life time so make wise decisions.
Re: Wedding Thanks Giving Problems. by Kx: 10:52am On Jul 22, 2009
To me o,logically,d  thanksgiving should hold in the church
where the wedding was held.
After the  wedding and thanksgiving,u may corner ur wife to ur church.

U are the one marrying ,not ur family.
Take charge,ur family's decision should be second to urs.
Solicit their understanding though otherwise
they ll label ur wife a bad woman even b4 d married life had taken off.
Re: Wedding Thanks Giving Problems. by funkybaby(f): 11:04am On Jul 22, 2009
In my own opinion, i think the thanksgiving should hold in the groom's church.

The bride's parents have already been ''honoured'' by holding the wedding in their family church, so it's just being fair to allow the groom's family host the thanksgiving service.
Re: Wedding Thanks Giving Problems. by vaiza(f): 11:24am On Jul 22, 2009
The church where the wedding ceremony is done is the usual option for thanksgiving. If your people insist on having it in their church, you can have another one later, maybe following week. I believe everyone'll be happy this way.
Re: Wedding Thanks Giving Problems. by Bota: 11:38am On Jul 22, 2009
The wedding is usually in the bride's church - her family gets to decide that. But , after the wedding , any other thing , afterparty etc is done at the grooms side because the wife is now part of the groom's family.
Re: Wedding Thanks Giving Problems. by jumie(f): 11:44am On Jul 22, 2009
She was handed over to the groom in her church, thanksgiving is time to present her to the groom's (family) church. This is simply because she is now a member of the groom's family. Afterwards, you both can keep attending your individual churches.

Ideally, weddings are held in the wife's or her parents church and thanksgiving the groom's church. Except both parties hold strong resentments for each other's church. grin
Re: Wedding Thanks Giving Problems. by Nobody: 11:48am On Jul 22, 2009
Re: Wedding Thanks Giving Problems. by Fhemmmy: 3:27pm On Jul 22, 2009
From the day you marry, the woman is now yours, and only you and her needs to decide where the thanksgiving would take place.
If they are too much of "wahala people", then, just do in both churches
Re: Wedding Thanks Giving Problems. by bblacky(f): 4:04pm On Jul 22, 2009
theres nothin u cant do once it comes to marriage without the parent involving themselves to make issues arise, well as it seems, the thanksgiving has to be in the grooms church, lets assume this; the wedding took place in the brides church which is in another community say her village, n after the wedding the couple has to leave 4 d grooms home, wont the thanksgiving hold at the groom's home church?.

the groom's parent are right with their demand, so the thanksgiving shud be held in the groom's church.
Re: Wedding Thanks Giving Problems. by netotse(m): 1:27am On Jul 23, 2009
u shldn't hv the wedding and the thanksgiving in the same church o!. . .one shld be on the grooms side and the other on the bride's side. . .its more or less tradition now. . .
Re: Wedding Thanks Giving Problems. by TOPE20001(f): 1:45am On Jul 23, 2009
The thankgiving shud def be at the groom's church cool
Re: Wedding Thanks Giving Problems. by Outstrip(f): 1:47am On Jul 23, 2009
If the wedding is in one church why can't there be a compromise and do the thanksgiving in the other?
Re: Wedding Thanks Giving Problems. by Carlosein(m): 1:54pm On Jul 23, 2009
chai na wa for all the pple o!
why do pple like complicating other's lives?

look OP, the most important thing is for you and your bride to decide what you want and to insist on it.
just explain to your pastor/priest and go ahead. anybody way no want come make hin no come.

extended family members will quarrel/disagree, if not over thanksgiving venue, then over something else (like couples colours undecided)
so go ahead and do your thing!
Re: Wedding Thanks Giving Problems. by CheeMoney(m): 10:08am On Jul 24, 2009
Thanks all. I will never regret the day I stumbled into nairaland. It has always come to the rescue when some critical/sensitive decisions ought to be made. It's always served as a pointer/guide. GREAT NAIRALAND, KWENU!

(1) (Reply)

A Man Tries To Kill Himself Over Eye Issue / Can U Guess Wht This Mother Is Tellin Her Daughter? / But I Should Have A Gf Now!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.