Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,091 members, 7,814,793 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:58 PM

For Those Of You Who Love To Drive Through Flood Water - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / For Those Of You Who Love To Drive Through Flood Water (22053 Views)

Meet British-Nigerian Gideon King Who love-vendor Super Cars For The Super-rich / If You Have Kids In Your Compound, Don’t Be In A Hurry To Drive Out (picture) / This Land Rover Defender SVX Will Take You Through Flood And Mountains (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

For Those Of You Who Love To Drive Through Flood Water by Nobody: 7:50am On Mar 21, 2016
Hi guys, trust you had a lovely weekend.

The raniny season is back with us, especially those of us who live in the western and southern part of the country rains have commenced.

Last thursday there was a heavy rain in my locality this led to flooding of the major roads in portharcourt, those conversant with ph will know that there are no drainages on their roads, hence whenever it rains theres massive flooding.

A lot of us like to drive through the flood water, av seen hundreds of pictures of drivers putting their cars in the floods, in lagos, ph calabar, aba,kaduna , kano name it.

yes in most cases we dont have a choice, but I dare say you do and must desist from it for the sake of your vehicles heres my reason why:

1. Engine damage
The air cleaner on your vehicle has a pipe that runs down to where your front wheels are, this pipe draws in air which passes thru the air filter to your engine. When you drive through a flood or even stay in a flood with your engine running, it draws in water into the aircleaner and your engine.

Hence your cleaner is soaked with water and is damaged, water enters your car engine and since water is not compressed, your pistons in
in the cause of compressing the water, cause serious damage to your engine block you could end up with a cracked engine block leading to
expensive engine repairs or replacement.

2. Brakes
Water affects your brakes, rendering them in operational, this can cause accidents for inexperienced drivers who dash at 100km/h after
driving thru floods thats instant death from collision as the brakes simply wont work. (remember the effects of expansion and contraction
metals in our basic physics)

3. Other vehicle components located below the fender line ,like kickstarters, horns, engine control modules, A/T module and sensors are
affected and malfunction when unnecessarily exposed to water , some vehicles like the hiace hummer bus have their maf sensors located at
the bottom of the engine when this is submerged in water the vehicle runs poorly or wont even start.

4. Body part rust
One of the quickes ways to promote rust in your vehicle is to drive in water, water with time attacks your coat, this is quicker if there
are cracks in your coat for rust to form. This explains the low price of used cars in flood prone places especially during rainy season.
Dont be fooled by the low price the socalled savings you think you re making will be frittered away in costly repairs and replacements
of damaged car components you mechanic will not immediately detect, even your beloved scanner wont detect physical damaged too.

In summary try as much as you can to avoid driving thru floods, drive around them or do what I do atimes park the vehicle and wait for the
waters to abate, have had to replace my kick starter 3 times in a row due to water damage cos of water damage, that was until I knew its
effects on vehicle.

Even if you drive a jeep you re not 100 percent safe from water damage, flood water rise above 2 feet .

Have a great week and drive safe. smiley

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: For Those Of You Who Love To Drive Through Flood Water by xreal: 7:51am On Mar 21, 2016
kaeforum

Nice one.
I have learnt something new today.

But nobody in his/her right senses will immerse a car in flood in the name of 'driving through'.

4 Likes

Re: For Those Of You Who Love To Drive Through Flood Water by MemeTroll: 8:09am On Mar 21, 2016
F-150 raptor users... this isn't really our problem.. smiley but merci

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: For Those Of You Who Love To Drive Through Flood Water by dominique(f): 8:32am On Mar 21, 2016
Nice one though I doubt if anybody would 'love' to immerse their vehicle into several inches of flood water. It's the situation they found themselves in

11 Likes

Re: For Those Of You Who Love To Drive Through Flood Water by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:48am On Mar 21, 2016
simple solution, remove all straws from the intake side.

1 Like

Re: For Those Of You Who Love To Drive Through Flood Water by jesussaves22: 9:14am On Mar 21, 2016
GAZZUZZ:
How can it be done?

1 Like

Re: For Those Of You Who Love To Drive Through Flood Water by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:20am On Mar 21, 2016
Re: For Those Of You Who Love To Drive Through Flood Water by Nobody: 9:37am On Mar 21, 2016
xreal:

Nice one.
I have learnt something new today.

But nobody in his/her right senses will immerse a car in flood in the name of 'driving through'.

No people do when theres no other way to pass they do so, put knowledgeable ones will immediately check their intakes for water invasion.
Re: For Those Of You Who Love To Drive Through Flood Water by Nobody: 9:40am On Mar 21, 2016
MemeTroll:
F-150 raptor users... this isn't really our problem.. smiley but merci

There is no mechanical vehicle that can withstand the force of water, unless its an amphibious vehicle.

Moving water at 12 inches height can move a 3 ton vehicle.

1 Like

Re: For Those Of You Who Love To Drive Through Flood Water by Nobody: 9:41am On Mar 21, 2016
dominique:
Nice one though I doubt if anybody would 'love' to immerse their vehicle into several inches of flood water. It's the situation they found themselves in

thats correct, most people dont have a choice. At times vehicle owners arent even aware of the damage being done to their cars as a result of floods.
Re: For Those Of You Who Love To Drive Through Flood Water by bettercreature(m): 9:45am On Mar 21, 2016
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: For Those Of You Who Love To Drive Through Flood Water by Nobody: 9:46am On Mar 21, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

Yes but thats if the person knows that the intakes are flooded.

Re: For Those Of You Who Love To Drive Through Flood Water by LMAyedun(m): 9:47am On Mar 21, 2016
informative! Thanks

1 Like

Re: For Those Of You Who Love To Drive Through Flood Water by confamgist237: 9:47am On Mar 21, 2016
grin grin grin
Re: For Those Of You Who Love To Drive Through Flood Water by MindMatics(m): 9:48am On Mar 21, 2016
De wont do it again..... MINDGraphicsStudio
Re: For Those Of You Who Love To Drive Through Flood Water by MadCow1: 9:49am On Mar 21, 2016
ok
Re: For Those Of You Who Love To Drive Through Flood Water by tempem: 9:49am On Mar 21, 2016
HMM.VHMM winkHMM.VHMM
Re: For Those Of You Who Love To Drive Through Flood Water by BIGTinfotech: 9:49am On Mar 21, 2016
Yea. It sure damages a couple of things especially with the low built cars.

But if I carry Tundra or ford hilux...no shaking, no dulling.

1 Like

Re: For Those Of You Who Love To Drive Through Flood Water by wellmax(m): 9:49am On Mar 21, 2016
When you see flood just park your car and go on foot abi?

4 Likes

Re: For Those Of You Who Love To Drive Through Flood Water by smudge2079(m): 9:50am On Mar 21, 2016
Walk for Buhari anytime u see flood. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: For Those Of You Who Love To Drive Through Flood Water by Fogman(m): 9:50am On Mar 21, 2016
Very informative

1 Like

Re: For Those Of You Who Love To Drive Through Flood Water by Nobody: 9:51am On Mar 21, 2016
Its very easy to accept being the head after once being the tail,but its not easy to accept being the tail after once being the head.
Re: For Those Of You Who Love To Drive Through Flood Water by leefbi: 9:51am On Mar 21, 2016
I agree with no1 it damaged my ford focus I had to change the engine verb and so on u so right
Re: For Those Of You Who Love To Drive Through Flood Water by Coolcash1: 9:51am On Mar 21, 2016
Also turn off the A/C to avoid damage.

2 Likes

Re: For Those Of You Who Love To Drive Through Flood Water by Houseofglam7(f): 9:51am On Mar 21, 2016
No try am
E go spoil your car.
End of story.
Re: For Those Of You Who Love To Drive Through Flood Water by tuoyoojo(m): 9:52am On Mar 21, 2016
ok na
so with all the money they have being spending in ph. they still don't have good drainage. na wa o

well I have learnt something new sha. I like driving thru water to help me clean my tires. well now I know better

1 Like 1 Share

Re: For Those Of You Who Love To Drive Through Flood Water by kachnov(m): 9:52am On Mar 21, 2016
Ok
Re: For Those Of You Who Love To Drive Through Flood Water by professore(m): 9:52am On Mar 21, 2016
Tell them
Re: For Those Of You Who Love To Drive Through Flood Water by Hollawaley(m): 9:54am On Mar 21, 2016
Baba forget this shit o. I don dey drive enter water many fuckin times and nothing do my car

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? / Jelani Aliyu Of General Motors Assumes Office As Director Of NADDC Today(photos) / Pls How Good Is Nissan Micra For Delivery Business ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.