Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,313 members, 7,836,360 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:13 AM

For Those Of You Who Love To Drive Through Flood Water - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / For Those Of You Who Love To Drive Through Flood Water (22086 Views)

Meet British-Nigerian Gideon King Who love-vendor Super Cars For The Super-rich / If You Have Kids In Your Compound, Don’t Be In A Hurry To Drive Out (picture) / This Land Rover Defender SVX Will Take You Through Flood And Mountains (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: For Those Of You Who Love To Drive Through Flood Water by spicytayomic(m): 11:27am On Mar 21, 2016
grin
Re: For Those Of You Who Love To Drive Through Flood Water by Untainted007: 11:29am On Mar 21, 2016
iyatrustee:

The flooded area was not much and i did not forsee any problem. I have learnt something new from this post. So you are to drive in slowly into the waters right?
Yea slowly pays in order to avoid unforeseen circumstances
Re: For Those Of You Who Love To Drive Through Flood Water by Nicepoker(m): 11:32am On Mar 21, 2016
Hollawaley:
dodge challenger
its PCM is located on the upper part of the engine. I guess u got no problem.
Re: For Those Of You Who Love To Drive Through Flood Water by kilokeys(m): 11:42am On Mar 21, 2016
Izusu tiger tiger.. Powerful runner runner... Izusu tiger tiger.. Rugged mover..

I see d advert.. Dem run inside water o
Re: For Those Of You Who Love To Drive Through Flood Water by InvertedHammer: 11:45am On Mar 21, 2016
/
If you get up in a flood what do you do?

Carry your car on your head?

\
Re: For Those Of You Who Love To Drive Through Flood Water by Emmyemmy1: 12:29pm On Mar 21, 2016
Good information
Re: For Those Of You Who Love To Drive Through Flood Water by Hollawaley(m): 1:20pm On Mar 21, 2016
Nicepoker:
its PCM is located on the upper part of the engine. I guess u got no problem.
yeah
Re: For Those Of You Who Love To Drive Through Flood Water by LordReed(m): 1:35pm On Mar 21, 2016
kaeforum:

1. Engine damage
The air cleaner on your vehicle has a pipe that runs down to where your front wheels are,

That must be a strange car that has it's air intake down by the wheels. All the air intakes I have seen are just about in line with the top of the wheel arch so for a car to get water in that way then the engine has practically being submerged. The car would probably have stalled before that because water would have entered the exhaust.
Re: For Those Of You Who Love To Drive Through Flood Water by jimmynauty: 5:44pm On Mar 21, 2016
kaeforum:
Hi guys, trust you had a lovely weekend.

The raniny season is back with us, especially those of us who live in the western and southern part of the country rains have commenced.

Last thursday there was a heavy rain in my locality this led to flooding of the major roads in portharcourt, those conversant with ph will know that there are no drainages on their roads, hence whenever it rains theres massive flooding.

A lot of us like to drive through the flood water, av seen hundreds of pictures of drivers putting their cars in the floods, in lagos, ph calabar, aba,kaduna , kano name it.

yes in most cases we dont have a choice, but I dare say you do and must desist from it for the sake of your vehicles heres my reason why:

1. Engine damage
The air cleaner on your vehicle has a pipe that runs down to where your front wheels are, this pipe draws in air which passes thru the air filter to your engine. When you drive through a flood or even stay in a flood with your engine running, it draws in water into the aircleaner and your engine.

Hence your cleaner is soaked with water and is damaged, water enters your car engine and since water is not compressed, your pistons in
in the cause of compressing the water, cause serious damage to your engine block you could end up with a cracked engine block leading to
expensive engine repairs or replacement.

2. Brakes
Water affects your brakes, rendering them in operational, this can cause accidents for inexperienced drivers who dash at 100km/h after
driving thru floods thats instant death from collision as the brakes simply wont work. (remember the effects of expansion and contraction
metals in our basic physics)

3. Other vehicle components located below the fender line ,like kickstarters, horns, engine control modules, A/T module and sensors are
affected and malfunction when unnecessarily exposed to water , some vehicles like the hiace hummer bus have their maf sensors located at
the bottom of the engine when this is submerged in water the vehicle runs poorly or wont even start.

4. Body part rust
One of the quickes ways to promote rust in your vehicle is to drive in water, water with time attacks your coat, this is quicker if there
are cracks in your coat for rust to form. This explains the low price of used cars in flood prone places especially during rainy season.
Dont be fooled by the low price the socalled savings you think you re making will be frittered away in costly repairs and replacements
of damaged car components you mechanic will not immediately detect, even your beloved scanner wont detect physical damaged too.

In summary try as much as you can to avoid driving thru floods, drive around them or do what I do atimes park the vehicle and wait for the
waters to abate, have had to replace my kick starter 3 times in a row due to water damage cos of water damage, that was until I knew its
effects on vehicle.

Even if you drive a jeep you re not 100 percent safe from water damage, flood water rise above 2 feet .

Have a great week and drive safe. smiley
Re: For Those Of You Who Love To Drive Through Flood Water by banio: 6:07pm On Mar 21, 2016
Join me let's sue the government for flooded roads caused by government negligence. Yes they will compensate us with billions of dollars

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

11 Interesting Facts About BENTLEY You Should Know / How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? / Man Smashes His £100,000 BMW M6 In Protest About Car’s Reliability

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.