Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,503 members, 7,819,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:45 AM

Nigerians Are Thieves Says Greek Ambassador To Abuja - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Are Thieves Says Greek Ambassador To Abuja (3797 Views)

Biafrans We Are Thieves.. PHOTOS / We Will Soon Reveal Crude Oil Thieves, Says Buhari / Morocco 'Recalls' Ambassador To Nigeria, Says Nigeria Lied (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Are Thieves Says Greek Ambassador To Abuja by SamMilla1(m): 10:11am On Jul 23, 2009
TWELVE days after Vanguard reported that the Ambassador of Greece in Nigeria, Mr. Haris Dafaranos and his wife, Haralambo, labelled Nigerians thieves, there has been no reaction whatsoever from the Nigerian authorities.

Mr. Dafaranos and his wife were at the reception area of Transcorp Hilton in Abuja on July 11 when the wife found a wristwatch, which a client of the hotel forgot while checking out.

She refused to hand over the wristwatch to the security personnel on duty at the reception who wanted to keep it for the owner. She said Nigerians were habitual thieves, she did not trust that the wristwatch would get to the owner. She refused to listen to the appeals of even the security manager on duty to turn in the wristwatch.

The arrival of Mr. Notore Kolagbodi, to claim his wristwatch did not change Mrs. Dafaranos’ mind. She wanted proof of ownership from Mr. Kolagbodi.

Hot exchanges between Nigerians and the woman did not bring her to her senses. She continued calling Nigerians thieves. Her husband supported her. “Nigerians are thieves. Can anyone of them deny that fact? What is the assurance that you guys did not connive to bring this fellow as the rightful owner of the wrist watch?,” Mr. Dafaranos asked?

The woman had to be persuaded to hand over the wristwatch after she had exhausted herself.

We think that the silence of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on this matter is worse than the undiplomatic behaviour of the Greek couple. If the Dafaranos think so contemptuously of Nigerians, they have no business being in this community a day longer. What informed their audacity? Is it the knowledge that they can abuse Nigerians and keep their positing?

This was not a one off unguarded statement. The ambassador and his wife were insistent on their abusive views about Nigerians. They should be made to realise that this type of conduct is below the conduct of a diplomat and is unacceptable, and one that surely deserves a recall of the couple.

It is appropriate for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to conduct a serious investigation into the behaviour of the Greek ambassador who before now was harping on the importance of the economic ties between Nigeria and his country.

People witnessed the incident, which was in an open area, the ever-busy Hilton reception lobby. They included the hotel security manager on duty during the incident. If the investigation indicts him, he should be deported immediately.

Greece also owes Nigerians an apology for sending them an ambassador who would abuse them, as if Greece is populated by only saints.

Nigerians who visit embassies in Nigeria for businesses are subjected to serial abuses. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs maintains a stoic silence on the conduct of these embassies. Indifference of government to the poor treatment Nigerians get at embassies could have emboldened Mr. Dafaranos and his wife.

Whatever happened, the incident deserves full investigation and punishment for any guilty parties.

- vanguard
Re: Nigerians Are Thieves Says Greek Ambassador To Abuja by desgiezd(m): 10:39am On Jul 23, 2009
“Nigerians are thieves. Can anyone of them deny that fact? What is the assurance that you guys did not connive to bring this fellow as the rightful owner of the wrist watch?,” Mr. Dafaranos asked?

Even in our own country, this is the height of it. Are Ojo Maduekwe and his team still sleeping? Someone should wake them up and remind them of their responsibilities.
Re: Nigerians Are Thieves Says Greek Ambassador To Abuja by MrCrackles(m): 10:53am On Jul 23, 2009
Sam Milla:

People witnessed the incident, which was in an open area, the ever-busy Hilton reception lobby. They included the hotel security manager on duty during the incident. If the investigation indicts him, he should be deported immediately.

Why should he be deported?
My friend i dont agree. . . . Most Nigerians are bloody thieves, let us be upright with ourselves!
Re: Nigerians Are Thieves Says Greek Ambassador To Abuja by no21: 11:08am On Jul 23, 2009
i guess because he said the truth.

I read where the IG Okiro was told to return 166 million he took from a liquidated bank.

That was from the police itself.
Re: Nigerians Are Thieves Says Greek Ambassador To Abuja by vigasimple(m): 11:20am On Jul 23, 2009
The report says that it was the Greek's Ambassador's wife that said 'Nigerians are theives' whilst her husband was there watching, and not reprimand her.

1. Every country has its own band of thieves including Greece, so the business of thieves is not exclusive to any country.

2. She and her husband are not diplomatic, and not a good representatives of their country

3. We have a hopeless and 'directionless' govt who should have laid a complaint, and asked the Ambassador and his wife not only to apologises to Nigeria and Nigerians then for them to be recalled.

4. Our 'leaders' are certified thieves, so they cannot question the woman, because she is saying the truth.

In any event, we have no govt who is working on behalf of the people.
Re: Nigerians Are Thieves Says Greek Ambassador To Abuja by desgiezd(m): 11:34am On Jul 23, 2009
MrCrackles:

My friend i dont agree. . . . Most Nigerians are bloody thieves, let us be upright with ourselves!

Even if every Nigerian is a thief which is an impossibility, that still doesn't make it right for them to come here and insult us. An extremely undiplomatic act.
Re: Nigerians Are Thieves Says Greek Ambassador To Abuja by MrCrackles(m): 11:38am On Jul 23, 2009
desgiezd:

Even if every Nigerian is a thief which is an impossibility, that still doesn't make it right for them to come here and insult us. An extremely undiplomatic act.

I see your point. . . But on diplomacy, do Nigerians respect that in other host Countries? cheesy
Re: Nigerians Are Thieves Says Greek Ambassador To Abuja by desgiezd(m): 11:41am On Jul 23, 2009
MrCrackles:

I see your point. . . But on diplomacy, do Nigerians respect that in other host Countries? cheesy

I guess not!!
Re: Nigerians Are Thieves Says Greek Ambassador To Abuja by myspace(m): 11:42am On Jul 23, 2009
And why all the fuss over another person's wristwatch? Nigerians already know the kind of people that they are; they do not need the Ambassador's wife to remind them.
Re: Nigerians Are Thieves Says Greek Ambassador To Abuja by walakolobo: 12:22pm On Jul 23, 2009
I support the couple - Nigerians are thieves.
Re: Nigerians Are Thieves Says Greek Ambassador To Abuja by blacksta(m): 12:36pm On Jul 23, 2009
i agree - have u ever tried doing business in Nigeria - country full of longa throats.
Re: Nigerians Are Thieves Says Greek Ambassador To Abuja by Kobojunkie: 7:00pm On Jul 23, 2009
Real funny story though!!! Normally, would have been on the other side against the woman for not turning that wristwatch in to security or giving it to the guy who came in claiming it was his. But, roflmao!!!! I don't see wwiiinnn!!! for naija people hand, so I cannot blame her !! roflmao!!!

I still remember the idiot that stole Naira 25 right out of my pocket when I was 10 years old. It was all the money I had and this guy pretended he did not. angry
Re: Nigerians Are Thieves Says Greek Ambassador To Abuja by Nobody: 7:08pm On Jul 23, 2009
this folks have to go home, it is not part of diplomatic work to pass judgement on your host country. they have to go home. the nigerian government has a duty to demand it.
Re: Nigerians Are Thieves Says Greek Ambassador To Abuja by SeanT21(f): 3:35am On Jul 24, 2009
Whether it is the truth or not,who give this woman a right to insult a foreign country? She is the Greek ambassador wife and she should know how to act in a foreign nation.Her husband needs to leave her at home the next time he travel..
Re: Nigerians Are Thieves Says Greek Ambassador To Abuja by sley4life(m): 4:07am On Jul 24, 2009
off course. Our leaders are rouges.
Re: Nigerians Are Thieves Says Greek Ambassador To Abuja by toideve(m): 10:08am On Jul 24, 2009
so what are they/she still doing in the midst of thieves or whatever brought them to Nigeria? as she claim, maybe she actually wanted to keep the wrist watch who says she was a saint?
Re: Nigerians Are Thieves Says Greek Ambassador To Abuja by toideve(m): 10:51am On Jul 24, 2009
@SeanT21

i agree with you
Re: Nigerians Are Thieves Says Greek Ambassador To Abuja by smooooooth: 11:08am On Jul 24, 2009
MrCrackles:

pls, recall your statement.

@post.

the ambassador and his wife shld be deported immediately, they show how really brianless greeks are

and the hotel security manager shld be jailed for not giving the woman a slap that will send her head spinning 360 degrees.
Re: Nigerians Are Thieves Says Greek Ambassador To Abuja by naso2(m): 11:25am On Jul 24, 2009
sley4life:

off course. Our leaders are rouges.

Na only our leaders?. The truth is we are largely a bunch of untrustworthy people (leaders and followers). Leaders are picked from amongst the people.

Yes deporting the couple was right because if she has the audacity to say such in this country (which is largely true anyway), then Only God knows what she would do to a Nigerian in Greece.

However we must tell ourselves the truth , the brand nigeria is fast tuning a byword for falsehood both home and abroad.
Re: Nigerians Are Thieves Says Greek Ambassador To Abuja by vanitty: 12:33pm On Jul 24, 2009
Very silly couple, one would think been the ambassador and all they would have mastered the manner of approach. Mannerless people.
Re: Nigerians Are Thieves Says Greek Ambassador To Abuja by Thor(m): 12:37pm On Jul 24, 2009
Sometimes diplomacy is not the way, better to tell it like it is lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerians Are Thieves Says Greek Ambassador To Abuja by MrCrackles(m): 12:43pm On Jul 24, 2009
smooooooth:

pls, recall your statement.

No. . .

(1) (Reply)

How MALCOLM X Made America Livable For Nigerians / Nigerian Varsity To Buy Electricity From Cameroun / Powerful State Governors Drained Nigeria's Boom Time Oil Savings - Okonjo-iweala

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.