Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,692 members, 7,831,145 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:25 PM

Rivers Violent Rerun: Ben Llewellyn-Jones Asks Very Interesting Question - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rivers Violent Rerun: Ben Llewellyn-Jones Asks Very Interesting Question (53927 Views)

Jones Fayose Flies In From Canada To Welcome Atiku In Ekiti. Photos / Inec Declares Victor Umeh Winner Of Anambra Central Rerun Election / Rivers Rerun: APC Rally For Abe In Rivers State (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rivers Violent Rerun: Ben Llewellyn-Jones Asks Very Interesting Question by Walspring: 9:24pm On Mar 21, 2016
LadyExcellency:
Were Amaechi and Wike contesting for any legislative post on Saturday?

What happened in Rivers State has nothing to do with salaries of Legislators rather it was a clash of power between APC with their Federal might and PDP supported by the populace.

I can see that you lack thinking..

In one word which position were these parties contesting for Maybe this question will make you to think and realise why the man posted that..

Let's assume they pay below 1M per annum will they make is do or die or I must win at all cost on Saturday
Re: Rivers Violent Rerun: Ben Llewellyn-Jones Asks Very Interesting Question by mandax: 9:30pm On Mar 21, 2016
The Brits as always: misreading Nigeria and its politics.

Who told the British man that the bogus salaries of Nigerian legislators is the cause of the fracas in Rivers legislative elections?

The cause of the fracas in Rivers rerun elections is attempt by Rivers people to free themselves from the internal colonization brought about by Britain's amalgamation of north and south of Nigeria to form Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Rivers Violent Rerun: Ben Llewellyn-Jones Asks Very Interesting Question by sam2dok2020: 9:37pm On Mar 21, 2016
Yes I think so, I am of the opinion that the best change a man can give this country is to reduce the hug amount of money attached to this political offices, they will be begging them to take the offices and they will disagree.

Yea, what about the house of assembly and Senate members disagree like they did last year?

I think is not a one day plan, and u have to work with the MASSES to make it work.

If u need the plan, and u have the guts, pls reach me, I am the Leader of the MASSES.

Re: Rivers Violent Rerun: Ben Llewellyn-Jones Asks Very Interesting Question by alexxy: 9:39pm On Mar 21, 2016
SeverusSnape:
INEC under Buhari is nothing to write home about. Buhari is a disastrous failure.

He has successfully killed the gains and legacies left behind by Jonathan. What a failure buhari is.

Of course he has succeeded in killing all his useless legacies, no right thinking leader would ever follow such legacies non wonder the few surviving irrelevant PDP states likes rivers will not mind killing Amaechi and Dakuku to remain in power. Shame on them
Re: Rivers Violent Rerun: Ben Llewellyn-Jones Asks Very Interesting Question by ogmaskman: 9:42pm On Mar 21, 2016
SeverusSnape:
INEC under Buhari is nothing to write home about. Buhari is a disastrous failure.

He has successfully killed the gains and legacies left behind by Jonathan. What a failure buhari is.

It's not a buhari or inec thing. The stake is getting higher by the day. The real problem is with the players and their supporters. Ordinary pple like you who will blame buhari for everything without throwing a word of caution to the gun wielding thugs and their sponsors.
Re: Rivers Violent Rerun: Ben Llewellyn-Jones Asks Very Interesting Question by Orikinla(m): 9:42pm On Mar 21, 2016
SeverusSnape:

. Are you normal at all? Elections were more violent under former President Goodluck Jonathan. All the videos are on YouTube. Elections under President Muhammadu Buhari have been successful in Abia, Taraba, Akwa Ibom, Cross River and Benue. The bloodiest elections in Rivers State were under former President Jonathan. The records are there. Go and read. Ignorance is a terrible thing.

2 Likes

Re: Rivers Violent Rerun: Ben Llewellyn-Jones Asks Very Interesting Question by Greenback: 9:44pm On Mar 21, 2016
MORNDEW:

i ve not asked whether they want to dislodge Wike or not. I only asked a vital question that you could have just answered and even pause to think but see how u added insults to it. Is it that some of you cannot hide ur poor upbringing? What has warranted insults in my humble question?

again,da resources belongs to da fed govt n u apc grumpuses are sweating in da pants profusely,trying to dislodge wike nd pdp,ba?

U asked a humble question....cantcha see that donkey behind u over there,braying that its got one brain_ass_brain hes smarter and more brainy than?
Re: Rivers Violent Rerun: Ben Llewellyn-Jones Asks Very Interesting Question by omokab: 9:48pm On Mar 21, 2016
SeverusSnape:

so is Buari that is causing problem in Rivers state and the just concluded one in Balyesa? You should ask yourself a simple question. Is it only in Rivers state INEC has conducted re-run election in recent time? All those killed before election,is it Buari that sent them to Rivers state to kill? Your professional killer Mr wike should be blame for all this nonsense instead of pointing fingers to Buari. If Buari have interest of using military to rig election am sure by now APC would have been declared winner and nothing,i say nothing will happen. Most of you people said something worst than this before election and nothing happen after the general election. The worst is to continue the killing and state of emergency will be declared. The man asked a very good question but majority of you people diverted from the question to blame the great presido not the looter that finished our treasury before leaving aso rock.
Re: Rivers Violent Rerun: Ben Llewellyn-Jones Asks Very Interesting Question by mandax: 9:51pm On Mar 21, 2016
LadyExcellency:

What happened in Rivers State has nothing to do with salaries of Legislators rather it was a clash of power between APC with their Federal might and PDP supported by the populace.

Walllahi tallahi, Brits still dont't understand Nigeria, their ex-colony.

This British man failed woefully to understand what is behind the brouhaha in this Rivers state legislative elections.

He attributes the fracas to jumbo salaries of Nigerian legislators, he failed flat on his face.

It's the same way the Brits failed to see Boko Haram for what it truly is: a political instrument to blackmail former President Jonathan out of office.
Re: Rivers Violent Rerun: Ben Llewellyn-Jones Asks Very Interesting Question by MORNDEW(m): 9:56pm On Mar 21, 2016
Greenback:

again,da resources belongs to da fed govt n u apc grumpuses are sweating in da pants profusely,trying to dislodge wike nd pdp,ba?

U asked a humble question....cantcha see that donkey behind u over there,braying that its got one brain_ass_brain hes smarter and more brainy than?
enjoy ur new found insult and fighting for PDP job. Smh.
Re: Rivers Violent Rerun: Ben Llewellyn-Jones Asks Very Interesting Question by ihatesycophant(m): 10:02pm On Mar 21, 2016
SeverusSnape:

The legacy of do-or-die elections. The legacy of giving elections winners to the wrong candidate and later say go to court and the tribunal upturn. The legacy of writing result inside PDP's chieftains and giving it to INEC officers to announce. Legacy of using Police, DSS, Army to rig elections. The legacy of arming thugs, touts and pelting civilian against civilian. The legacy of Orubebe style. Any gain will make so far, it was because Jega stood his ground and he'll not compromise the election. The legacy of over hundred people died during 2015 general elections. Till date south south have not come to terms that the era of just writing result is over which made them to arm thugs to kill, maim and behead themselves with no justification.
Re: Rivers Violent Rerun: Ben Llewellyn-Jones Asks Very Interesting Question by Istand4justice: 10:03pm On Mar 21, 2016
But you guys slated ben murray bruce for this
Re: Rivers Violent Rerun: Ben Llewellyn-Jones Asks Very Interesting Question by chigoizie7(m): 10:04pm On Mar 21, 2016
wadetaw202:
All of you are funny sha!!!

You all left the topic of discuss and started pointing fingers at amechie, buhari, PDP.

This man was actually asking a core question, but you are all acting like easily distracted and politically blinded foooools.

The problem is not about amechi, wike or buhari; it is about the millions of dollars received by legislooters every year.

If the huge monthly pay is cut to 1/3rd, this violence will cease without delay.

U re correct, but the problem is this. Rivers re-run is not about how much the legislatures take home, noo, far from it.

Actually, the Amaechi and wike made the whole thing a power tussle thing between the APC and PDP. because, as far as I am concerned, I don't even know the names of those contesting for all those slots.

Now, let me loop u in small.

U need a 2/3 of the senate house to pass a vote.

I think PDP still have 46 or so, APC 57, and 46 + 56 = 102 - 109 senators, we have 7, out of the 7, we have 3 in rivers, we have 2 in anambra, we also have 1 in kogi and then 1 in imo.

Do u think APC has any chance in winning the 2 in Anambra? Apga and PDP are hot in Anambra, no one knows APC.

Do u also think APC has a chance in IMO? After what rochas has been doing to them? My guess is as good as yours.

Do u also think they have any chance in kogi?

Rivers being the nearest election, APC needs all it can get, they started grabbing it by fire by force. Assume they won the 3 from rivers, it would have given them edge over PDP.

Assume PDP got all the 7 slots,

Ok let's assume PDP shared the slots with other parties wey no be APC. Do u know what will be the fate of APC in the senate house?

With what is happening around saraki now, assume he is found guilty and sentenced, do u think APC will be able to remove ekweremadu as the senate president when PDP has almost half of the house?

So, assume saraki is found guilty, it will be a minus 1 from Apc, leaving them with 54, also add 7 to pdp's 47, it will give u 54, equal number, if saraki is also sacked, there is a tendency that there will be another election to replace him, now do u think apc has that chance, ok let's assume, pdp got that same seat, it will 1 seat ahead of apc.

And having ekweremadu already as the deputy, will be hard, don't forget that saraki will not go down without a fight, he will want to pay apc back for ratting him like that, we also know that apc in senate are not the same because of sarakis case.

In conclusion, if apc loose the leadership of the house(senate) then it is a doom for the presidency, and they can't allow such to happen, that is why this rivers(nearest election) is a do or die affair, even though it doesn't worth it.

If apc loose the whole of rivers, they will focus on anambra, but guess what? Anambra people are no fools.

Note: all these are speculations, I think that is the reason why apc deployed all arms in its arsenal to take rivers, more reason why PMB is quiet, because, if the plan works out, it will be to his advantage.

I kinda love this 2015/2016 politics, it is all about calculations and smartness, pdp is just a smarter hear.

If apc had calculated well, they wouldn't have ratted on saraki, or they wouldn't have made the court cancel some of those elections.

With the current state of the economy, apc is not gonna win anything until things start changing for good, for now? They are history

I think I made some mistakes in my calculations, but it doesn't matter, I just want u to understand my point
Re: Rivers Violent Rerun: Ben Llewellyn-Jones Asks Very Interesting Question by joncom(m): 10:16pm On Mar 21, 2016
wadetaw202:
All of you are funny sha!!!

You all left the topic of discuss and started pointing fingers at amechie, buhari, PDP.

This man was actually asking a core question, but you are all acting like easily distracted and politically blinded foooools.

The problem is not about amechi, wike or buhari; it is about the millions of dollars received by legislooters every year.

If the huge monthly pay is cut to 1/3rd, this violence will cease without delay.
It is not about the salaries, they can live without it. Its the monies, and privileges that goes with that position that matters.
Re: Rivers Violent Rerun: Ben Llewellyn-Jones Asks Very Interesting Question by billyG(m): 10:20pm On Mar 21, 2016
SeverusSnape:

yes Buhari failed 4 allowing pdp to rig election under their nose.
Re: Rivers Violent Rerun: Ben Llewellyn-Jones Asks Very Interesting Question by ihatesycophant(m): 10:35pm On Mar 21, 2016
chigoizie7:

U re correct, but the problem is this. Rivers re-run is not about how much the legislatures take home, noo, far from it.

Actually, the Amaechi and wike made the whole thing a power tussle thing between the APC and PDP. because, as far as I am concerned, I don't even know the names of those contesting for all those slots.

Now, let me loop u in small.

U need a 2/3 of the senate house to pass a vote.

I think PDP still have 46 or so, APC 57, and 46 + 56 = 102 - 109 senators, we have 7, out of the 7, we have 3 in rivers, we have 2 in anambra, we also have 1 in kogi and then 1 in imo.

Do u think APC has any chance in winning the 2 in Anambra? Apga and PDP are hot in Anambra, no one knows APC.

Do u also think APC has a chance in IMO? After what rochas has been doing to them? My guess is as good as yours.

Do u also think they have any chance in kogi?

Rivers being the nearest election, APC needs all it can get, they started grabbing it by fire by force. Assume they won the 3 from rivers, it would have given them edge over PDP.

Assume PDP got all the 7 slots,

Ok let's assume PDP shared the slots with other parties wey no be APC. Do u know what will be the fate of APC in the senate house?

With what is happening around saraki now, assume he is found guilty and sentenced, do u think APC will be able to remove ekweremadu as the senate president when PDP has almost half of the house?

So, assume saraki is found guilty, it will be a minus 1 from Apc, leaving them with 54, also add 7 to pdp's 47, it will give u 54, equal number, if saraki is also sacked, there is a tendency that there will be another election to replace him, now do u think apc has that chance, ok let's assume, pdp got that same seat, it will 1 seat ahead of apc.

And having ekweremadu already as the deputy, will be hard, don't forget that saraki will not go down without a fight, he will want to pay apc back for ratting him like that, we also know that apc in senate are not the same because of sarakis case.

In conclusion, if apc loose the leadership of the house(senate) then it is a doom for the presidency, and they can't allow such to happen, that is why this rivers(nearest election) is a do or die affair, even though it doesn't worth it.

If apc loose the whole of rivers, they will focus on anambra, but guess what? Anambra people are no fools.

Note: all these are speculations, I think that is the reason why apc deployed all arms in its arsenal to take rivers, more reason why PMB is quiet, because, if the plan works out, it will be to his advantage.

I kinda love this 2015/2016 politics, it is all about calculations and smartness, pdp is just a smarter hear.

If apc had calculated well, they wouldn't have ratted on saraki, or they wouldn't have made the court cancel some of those elections.

With the current state of the economy, apc is not gonna win anything until things start changing for good, for now? They are history

I think I made some mistakes in my calculations, but it doesn't matter, I just want u to understand my point
You did a wrong illustration, this case you illustrated is just secondary. The main thing is power tussle in South south because of the lost of Jonathan. They are still bitter that some of their brothers sold the presidency to APC and Buhari. Let me tell you the truth today, if PDP fielded a mad man, such mad person would win election because of emotional feelings that Jonathan was betrayed by some south south elements. Your illustration may even work for the state assembly because Wike need to have control of the assembly not to have same fate that almost befell Amaechi that they wanted to use four legislators to impeach him. By standard all the people fielded by APC have been tested, tried and trusted to be better by far than the one fielded by PDP but because of the sentiment of Joanthan losing out of the presidency the feud still linger in their hearts, especially in Rivers state. Also remember since 1999 south south have not had strong oppositions, it has always been arrangement, this is where we're going and no one should counter it.
Re: Rivers Violent Rerun: Ben Llewellyn-Jones Asks Very Interesting Question by Alezy(m): 10:39pm On Mar 21, 2016
kossyablaze:
And a brukutu sipping brainless balless dullard.
Hnmmm. ...Bros take am easy. Cheii na wa
Re: Rivers Violent Rerun: Ben Llewellyn-Jones Asks Very Interesting Question by Irishrena1(f): 10:39pm On Mar 21, 2016
Deadlytruth:
We are where we are today because Nigerians don't answer questions correctly. A simple question is asked about remuneration for elective offices and the answers given by 95% of respondents are answers to another question entirely. Only the guy up there that referred the British ambassador to Lord Lugard said something related to the question. Anyway I as well blame Luggard for the useless amalgamation and Zik too for his blind and irritating one Nigeria.
The grammar was too much for them. They just rather stuck to the normal hullaboola than feign response when they were not certain that their comments will not go off point. To me it was the safest thing for them to do. At least their general opinions about the state of things still got aired.
Re: Rivers Violent Rerun: Ben Llewellyn-Jones Asks Very Interesting Question by Nobody: 10:39pm On Mar 21, 2016
Tallesty1:
Blood of Oshiomoleshocked

You have invoked something very powerful!!!
Re: Rivers Violent Rerun: Ben Llewellyn-Jones Asks Very Interesting Question by akigbemaru: 10:40pm On Mar 21, 2016
Index rerun
Re: Rivers Violent Rerun: Ben Llewellyn-Jones Asks Very Interesting Question by sikirat2020: 10:59pm On Mar 21, 2016
DON'T MIND THE MAN, BRITAIN IS THE PROBLEM WE ARE CURRENTLY FACING TO DAY. THEY TAUGHT US THE VESTIGES OF COLONIAL MENTALLITY , SIPHONING OF FUND FOR REMMITANCE TO THE QUEEN, JOINNING TOGETHER TWO UNLIKE TERMS TOGETHER.
Re: Rivers Violent Rerun: Ben Llewellyn-Jones Asks Very Interesting Question by papaejima1: 10:59pm On Mar 21, 2016
tottinova:

Why do you pple talk like blind rats

Why is there a re-run in rivers state??
Is it not because of the electoral violence that occurred in the previous election which was held when that drunk called jonathan nd his beastly wife patience was still jn power
Why didn't you blame jonathan for that

So before you open your shit hole nd produce shit like you did before, THINK.
angry
What a "Classy" response.
grin grin grin
Re: Rivers Violent Rerun: Ben Llewellyn-Jones Asks Very Interesting Question by chiddye(m): 11:51pm On Mar 21, 2016
LadyExcellency:

you got it all wrong if political offices are made unattractive, probably on a minimum wage or the wage of an average school teacher with no pecks of office the average political class enjoy in Nigeria, do you think there would be do or die politics in this nation?

we need to get our priorities right until when patriotic citizens vie for political office then we would get the dividend of democracy. the system we operate in Nigeria is heading for a self destruct with the crop of politicians we have who lack morals and values.who only represents their pockets and their pockets only

make political office unattractive and you see a great nation

I weep for rivers
I weep for democracy in Nigeria

wike and amaechi are demons
Re: Rivers Violent Rerun: Ben Llewellyn-Jones Asks Very Interesting Question by Nobody: 12:43am On Mar 22, 2016
ChristineC:
No government official should earn above N500k total take home monthly, president included. Yes they should earn less than Vice Chancellors.
Only those willing to serve with a good and workable plan will aspire for political positions.
That would be a difficult thing to accomplish in nigeria because no politician is ready for that.
Re: Rivers Violent Rerun: Ben Llewellyn-Jones Asks Very Interesting Question by MoneyGreen(m): 1:44am On Mar 22, 2016
Presidiotbuhari:
Dullado of daura is an embarrassment to human race. His nomadic father would've saved nigerians such embarrassment called buhari by using withdrawal method.
too many fools on nairaland eh, chai!

1 Like

Re: Rivers Violent Rerun: Ben Llewellyn-Jones Asks Very Interesting Question by guiddoti: 4:08am On Mar 22, 2016
chesterlee:
Buhari has destroyed Democracy in Nigeria!!!
what about rat of mile 4? Lassa fever
Re: Rivers Violent Rerun: Ben Llewellyn-Jones Asks Very Interesting Question by porka: 4:50am On Mar 22, 2016
obaiIaIa:
Ben Llewellyn-Jones who is the Political Counsellor at British High Commission Abuja, asked this very interesting question following the high rate of violence & thuggery that characterized the Rivers state National And State Assembly rerun elections which held over the weekend. Your thoughts?

https://mobile.twitter.com/benllewellynjo1/status/711479002398105600

Dear Mr Diplomat, about a year ago, your government together with the US government issued a direct threat to the leadership of Nigeria concerning a very peacefully conducted election.

But today, all you can do is talk about the salary of lawmakers in a very poorly conducted election marred by extreme violence.

Is this not double standard?

Why do the emoluments of the lawmakers suddenly become more important than the conduct of the election? Is the expressed will of the Nigerian people not important to you anymore? Is the independence of INEC less important today than it was a year ago? Why does INEC's collapsed tent take priority in your comment over INEC's alleged omission of a political party's symbols on the ballot papers.

You have a very serious explaining to do.

Foreign Secretary and US Secretary of State joint statement on the Nigerian elections.

Our governments welcome the largely peaceful vote on 28 March. The Nigerian people have shown a commendable determination to register their vote and choose their leaders.

So far, we have seen no evidence of systemic manipulation of the process. But there are disturbing indications that the collation process - where the votes are finally counted - may be subject to deliberate political interference. This would contravene the letter and spirit of the Abuja Accord, to which both major parties committed themselves.

The Governments of the United States and the United Kingdom would be very concerned by any attempts to undermine the independence of the Electoral Commission (INEC), or its Chairman, Prof Jega; or in any way distort the expressed will of the Nigerian people.‎

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/joint-uk-and-us-statement-on-the-nigerian-elections

Re: Rivers Violent Rerun: Ben Llewellyn-Jones Asks Very Interesting Question by KissCODE(m): 5:28am On Mar 22, 2016
MORNDEW:

abeg o who owns the resources in a State in Nigeria? State Government or Federal Government?
it depends on the resources you mean.
For down stream sector & up stream sector, federal governmemt owns it. Tax and other things related to oil & gas federal government owns it.

Every other revenues generated outside this is owned by the state. River state has high IGR (internally generated revenue) just like Lagos.
Thats why APC lamented when they lost in supreme in court.

1 Like

Re: Rivers Violent Rerun: Ben Llewellyn-Jones Asks Very Interesting Question by Alwaystruth: 5:30am On Mar 22, 2016
It is not his faults,he is an illiterate and doesn't know the principles of good governance and democracy.
Did you notice that he joined Islamic military coalition without any recourse to national assembly?. Ruled and approved
payments of billions of naira without involving national assembly. Majority of gullible Nigerians think he is strong and stubborn,no, he is
an illiterate and thinks once you are elected a president Nigeria and everything in it belongs to you without any due process.
He is the first stark illiterate to preside over any nation in history of mankind.
Is there any wonder he surrounded himself with low lifers like him. Look at the mess with national budget?. Can buhari define what is a budget?.
Re: Rivers Violent Rerun: Ben Llewellyn-Jones Asks Very Interesting Question by yeko68: 6:06am On Mar 22, 2016
In a Democracy, it's always taken for granted that there are enlightened, responsible and informed voters who can make right choices. That's where we miss it in Africa and most developing countries and end up with the likes of Robert Mugabe.

Democracy cannot survive where there are greedy, corrupt and Judges without Integrity and dignity, filthy thieves who run after money they really do not need.

Democracy will always fail where majority of voters are illiterates, poor and will vote as directed by their stomach for immediate gains far above other considerations.

Events in recent times have shown that some States in Nigeria are not ready for Democracy. Ekiti, Bayelsa and Rivers to mention a few.

Election is NOT war, people need not die before, during and after the election. Its a message to the rest of the World that we cannot govern ourselves and we are uncivilized barbarians, it's a shame.
Re: Rivers Violent Rerun: Ben Llewellyn-Jones Asks Very Interesting Question by Greenback: 7:09am On Mar 22, 2016
MORNDEW:
enjoy ur new found insult and fighting for PDP job. Smh.
if only u wud quit making cows smarter!
Re: Rivers Violent Rerun: Ben Llewellyn-Jones Asks Very Interesting Question by odedeleisaac: 7:50am On Mar 22, 2016
Political salaries and benefits are too much that poor Nigerians are ready to kill themselves

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Odumeje To Pay For Cost Of Demolishing His Church – Soludo / Reverend Mbaka Blasts Atiku, Calls Him Bureau De Change / Fleeing Boko Haram Terrorists Gunned Down By Troops In Sambisa Forest. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.