Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,187 members, 7,822,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:04 AM

Why Mr Ayodele Dada Shouldn't Be Given A National Honour - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Mr Ayodele Dada Shouldn't Be Given A National Honour (47864 Views)

Ayodele Dada Honoured By House Of Reps (Photos) / UNILAG's Daniel-Dada Ayodele Gets N500,000 / Dada-Ayodele UNILAG's First Graduate With 5.0 CGPA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Mr Ayodele Dada Shouldn't Be Given A National Honour by Beemhan(m): 6:53pm On Mar 24, 2016
don4real18:

First, I wish to congratulate Mr Ayodele Dada for his academic milestone of which many have tried and many have fallen so he should keep his head held high even though he is not to first and certainly won't be the last.

I stumbled upon a writeup few days ago on how the writer says that Mr Dada deserves a national honour/award and his reason was obvious; The 5.0gpa.

And I became so confused because I thought the honour was given to those who have rendered service(s) to the benefit of the nation and after a research, I concluded that the writer alongside many others are ignorant of what the National Honour truly stands for............

Nigerian National Honours are a set of orders and decorations conferred upon Nigerians and friends of Nigeria every year. They were instituted by the National Honors Act No. 5 of 1964, during the First Nigerian Republic , to honour Nigerians who have rendered service to the benefit of the nation. The Nigerian National Honours, in descending order of importance, are:
*Grand Commander of the Order of the Federal
Republic (GCFR)
*Grand Commander of the Order of the Niger
(GCON)
*Commander of the Order of the Federal
Republic (CFR)
*Commander of the Order of the Niger (CON)
*Officer of the Order of the Federal Republic
(OFR)
*Officer of the Order of the Niger (OON)
*Member of the Order of the Federal Republic
(MFR)
*Member of the Order of the Niger (MON)

The GCFR and GCON are customarily respectively bestowed on former occupants of the office of President of Nigeria and Vice President of Nigeria including former military heads of state of Nigeria and Chiefs of General Staff. The GCON is also customarily bestowed on the Chief Justice of Nigeria and the President of the Nigerian Senate during their first year in office, while the CON is customarily bestowed on Justices of the Supreme Court of Nigeria (culled from Wikipedia)

Now, what does Mr Dada deserve?
Still the national honour or an applaud from the education lovers
His achievement is a benefit to himself and not the nation.
What did he do for his final year project?
Does it contribute to nation building?
Did he invent any mathematical theory?

There are many 2nd class, 3rd and many that didn't even attempt jamb but are contributing towards building the nation through the creation of job opportunities.

He should go out and prove himself and not become a burden on the nation just because of a degree that is not recognised in developed countries.

He has tried and I commend him but after school, life begins......... I wish him success
Bello Wahab O.
i swear you're the wisest man on this thread right now! National Honour ko, international worship ni?
Re: Why Mr Ayodele Dada Shouldn't Be Given A National Honour by 3rdlegxxx(m): 6:54pm On Mar 24, 2016
Abbeyunique2:

seriously, this is the most lame comment today. how do you define an achievement?

Please dude don't bother with this lot, their intelligence level is really embarrassing and all these people are probably graduates or in some poly or uni, common achievement or national honors they really can't understand or different, it's quite saddening.
Re: Why Mr Ayodele Dada Shouldn't Be Given A National Honour by MadCow1: 6:54pm On Mar 24, 2016
don4real18:

First, I wish to congratulate Mr Ayodele Dada for his academic milestone of which many have tried and many have fallen so he should keep his head held high even though he is not to first and certainly won't be the last.

I stumbled upon a writeup few days ago on how the writer says that Mr Dada deserves a national honour/award and his reason was obvious; The 5.0gpa.

And I became so confused because I thought the honour was given to those who have rendered service(s) to the benefit of the nation and after a research, I concluded that the writer alongside many others are ignorant of what the National Honour truly stands for............

Nigerian National Honours are a set of orders and decorations conferred upon Nigerians and friends of Nigeria every year. They were instituted by the National Honors Act No. 5 of 1964, during the First Nigerian Republic , to honour Nigerians who have rendered service to the benefit of the nation. The Nigerian National Honours, in descending order of importance, are:
Republic (GCFR)
(GCON)
Republic (CFR)
(OFR)
(MFR)

The GCFR and GCON are customarily respectively bestowed on former occupants of the office of President of Nigeria and Vice President of Nigeria including former military heads of state of Nigeria and Chiefs of General Staff. The GCON is also customarily bestowed on the Chief Justice of Nigeria and the President of the Nigerian Senate during their first year in office, while the CON is customarily bestowed on Justices of the Supreme Court of Nigeria (culled from Wikipedia)

There are many 2nd class, 3rd and many that didn't even attempt jamb but are contributing towards building the nation through the creation of job opportunities.

He should go out and prove himself and not become a burden on the nation just because of a degree that is not recognised in developed countries.

He has tried and I commend him but after school, life begins......... I wish him success
Bello Wahab O.

I agree 100%..

He deserves accolades but not a national award.

1 Like

Re: Why Mr Ayodele Dada Shouldn't Be Given A National Honour by somegirl1: 6:54pm On Mar 24, 2016
bettercreature:
I still can't figure how this guy scored 100% for 5 straight years
Its not possible in my book

GPAs aren't calculated that way.
He got As in all his courses, perhaps a lower grade i.e B or C, in less weighty courses, but most likely never scored 100%

1 Like

Re: Why Mr Ayodele Dada Shouldn't Be Given A National Honour by Bhella5(m): 6:55pm On Mar 24, 2016
bigtt76:
If people who are corrupt or declared wanted (#NISrecruitmentScandal) were conferred with National honors wonder why Dada doesn't deserve it undecided
Your analogy is warped

1 Like

Re: Why Mr Ayodele Dada Shouldn't Be Given A National Honour by Beemhan(m): 6:56pm On Mar 24, 2016
adwem2003:
Go to school first and have 5.0. Then come back and write this thrash.
download sense bros... There's a new version available
Re: Why Mr Ayodele Dada Shouldn't Be Given A National Honour by 3rdlegxxx(m): 6:57pm On Mar 24, 2016
Carlmax:
Please dear nairalanders: has there been any other graduate that made a perfect G. P in or from Nigeria. I need replies. Thanks.

Anthony Adegbulugbe achieved similar feat at Ife in the 70s having scored 5.0/5.0 Elect Elect
Re: Why Mr Ayodele Dada Shouldn't Be Given A National Honour by Nobody: 6:59pm On Mar 24, 2016
opeyemi361:
Guy, all I see in you is Jealousy. Olajumoke who is an illiterate got more recognition than this guy. You think it's easy. We Nigerians don't appreciate. Why not use that time to write a book and stop been jealous. Am sure you graduated with PASS. Enemy of progress
We are talking of national honor, and u are talking of recognition. Besides this guy already has national recognition, u sud kw unless u are not current with the media. Mtn even celebrated him, am sure unilag and other companies has giving him one or two things.
Re: Why Mr Ayodele Dada Shouldn't Be Given A National Honour by tbliss22(m): 7:00pm On Mar 24, 2016
Oahray:
You do have a point, but you seem to be subtly arguing that it isn't worth the recognition. Maybe that's not what you meant but that's how it sounds.

I had to do a double take at "he is not the first and he won't be the last."

Pray tell... Who in your family, nuclear or extended, dead or alive, has ever gotten a 5.0 CGPA from a Federal University?

If there isn't, check your neighbour's family.

If there isn't, shut the hell up!

Epic but.... Wicked!!!
Re: Why Mr Ayodele Dada Shouldn't Be Given A National Honour by Nobody: 7:00pm On Mar 24, 2016
3rdlegxxx:

Please dude don't bother with this lot, their intelligence level is really embarrassing and all these people are probably graduates or in some poly or uni, common achievement or national honors they really can't understand or different, it's quite saddening.

You probably regard yourself as very intelligent, don't you? My question still remains; explain to people like me who are not intelligent like you why Aki and Pawpaw can be celebrated and not this guy, please.
Re: Why Mr Ayodele Dada Shouldn't Be Given A National Honour by tbliss22(m): 7:02pm On Mar 24, 2016
WOruGunu:
I wud suggest he is honored wit ORDER OF CHANGE OF NIGERIA OCN.

MY OPINION THOUGH

5.0 NO b maize ooooo I still dey battle wit 2.2

Lolz.. I like you for this, saying the TRUTH
Re: Why Mr Ayodele Dada Shouldn't Be Given A National Honour by Nobody: 7:04pm On Mar 24, 2016
layla129:

That's just the truth. He can't do anything with that certificate in developed countries if he doesn't earn their own certificate in addition.

You think he is not going to ace it undecided and that is beside the point. That point is totally irrelevant.

It is like telling me that a law degree in Nigeria is useless because I can't use in developed countries.

Both of you do not know what you are talking about. There are several jobs unrelated to psychology that he can do with that grade.
Re: Why Mr Ayodele Dada Shouldn't Be Given A National Honour by Nobody: 7:05pm On Mar 24, 2016
I have read the post and comments. I was just laughing. Well I think national honours in Nigeria is just like chieftancy title. It's been give to people anyhow nowadays. Unlike before you have to merit it before it can be conferred on u. But in recent times its just for somebody/anybody
Re: Why Mr Ayodele Dada Shouldn't Be Given A National Honour by 3rdlegxxx(m): 7:05pm On Mar 24, 2016
olsmade:
This is very on point and the fact that he is even being considered for a national honour (which i hope is false) is evidence that we have not gotten our priorities right. So what happens when another guy graduates with 5.0 (abi is it 7.0) from UI next year? He also gets an award? For what exactly? Getting 5.0 at the undergraduate level means you have been able to very successfully regurgitate what was taught to you. He has almost definitely not added to the body of knowledge in any way, shape or form. People get 4.0 (out of 4) on a yearly basis in several schools in the US and nobody thinks of giving them useless national honors. Schools and/or companies compete to hire them or enroll them in their post-graduate programs.

I noticed that reasonable points don't get plenty likes and shares but daft dumb points get loads of it, i still wonder why but then it clicks, it's the same dumb people liking themselves, bro u made sense, nicely said but they won't listen.
Re: Why Mr Ayodele Dada Shouldn't Be Given A National Honour by JeffreyJamez(m): 7:05pm On Mar 24, 2016
daveP:

it's a sweet news and I like his story, but sincerely, I think overall, he made the right cgpa under the wrong atmosphere called Nigerian education system!!
sweet news to eduction freaks.....normal news to me.
Re: Why Mr Ayodele Dada Shouldn't Be Given A National Honour by Nobody: 7:06pm On Mar 24, 2016
emmanuelkant77:
...i suppose u misunderstood d msg am tryin to pass across,,,am a no1 fan of education,,bt d way people lay so much emphasis on certs n skul is wat baffles me....i ve bin opportuned to watch graduates gt interviewd,,,guyz wt gud grades frm rputable skulz,,bt at d end none met de requirements....acquire skills,,educate yaself nt dat typ we get frm universities wia we act lik robots,,,wia 1hr after an exam u've forgotten virtually all dat u read....hw is dat education??....

I still do not understand you.

Blame Nigerian educational system not schools.
Re: Why Mr Ayodele Dada Shouldn't Be Given A National Honour by jostking: 7:07pm On Mar 24, 2016
layla129:

You should go and ask the clueless Jona that gave them the award. We can't continue making mistakes...we should learn from these developed countries we always want to run to.

Go and ask what Rowan Atkinson aka Mr bean did to humanity to deserve an OBE from the queen. Its abt contribution in whatever form in your field.
Re: Why Mr Ayodele Dada Shouldn't Be Given A National Honour by JeffreyJamez(m): 7:07pm On Mar 24, 2016
olsmade:
This is very on point and the fact that he is even being considered for a national honour (which i hope is false) is evidence that we have not gotten our priorities right. So what happens when another guy graduates with 5.0 (abi is it 7.0) from UI next year? He also gets an award? For what exactly? Getting 5.0 at the undergraduate level means you have been able to very successfully regurgitate what was taught to you. He has almost definitely not added to the body of knowledge in any way, shape or form. People get 4.0 (out of 4) on a yearly basis in several schools in the US and nobody thinks of giving them useless national honors. Schools and/or companies compete to hire them or enroll them in their post-graduate programs.

thank you!!!
Re: Why Mr Ayodele Dada Shouldn't Be Given A National Honour by Eminentsaint(m): 7:09pm On Mar 24, 2016
God bless you in and out for this write-up. Please, I recommend you post this to other social media platforms you belong to so people will get the message. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Why Mr Ayodele Dada Shouldn't Be Given A National Honour by Nobody: 7:10pm On Mar 24, 2016
emmanuelkant77:
...i suppose u misunderstood d msg am tryin to pass across,,,am a no1 fan of education,,bt d way people lay so much emphasis on certs n skul is wat baffles me....i ve bin opportuned to watch graduates gt interviewd,,,guyz wt gud grades frm rputable skulz,,bt at d end none met de requirements....acquire skills,,educate yaself nt dat typ we get frm universities wia we act lik robots,,,wia 1hr after an exam u've forgotten virtually all dat u read....hw is dat education??....
it is adviced dat students shld read to knw and nt read to pass an exam.

There are students who knws a lot so don't generalize it because some1 came 4 an interview n couldn't perform as expected of him base on his gpa.
Re: Why Mr Ayodele Dada Shouldn't Be Given A National Honour by Adiwana: 7:10pm On Mar 24, 2016
Wat is it with make money bs!dude just graduated,and you want him to "make it over night".And you think meeting with personalities in/out of the country will not get him there?Nigerians and jealousy.Thats why we are backward as a nation?GEJ did his job by congratulating Buhari.In sane countries,he did his fundamental duty.But today he is being celebrated.You know wat a 5.0cgp is?you wey dey talk sef,wetin you grad with?

3 Likes

Re: Why Mr Ayodele Dada Shouldn't Be Given A National Honour by Oahray: 7:11pm On Mar 24, 2016
ADBOK:

If you wanted to play to the gallery with this rebuttal, you did a terrible job and you deserve all possible condemnation! You see in life courtesy and respect for another are vital ingredients of all interrelationships, however if you are too savage to manage that at least leave a man's family out of your focus for insults! You need to learn manners!...
there's nothing insulting there, almost everyone has a family but only a few include a genius. Take it personal if you wish though... It's your wrap of suya and I don't care to share it with you.

If one thinks something is commonplace, it's cos he's seen so much of it. A 5.0 CGPA isn't as trivial as he's trying to make it seem, at least not in Nigeria.

You can argue against a national award without having to trivialize remarkable excellence. It's the only ish I have with it.
Re: Why Mr Ayodele Dada Shouldn't Be Given A National Honour by Nobody: 7:11pm On Mar 24, 2016
3rdlegxxx:

Nice one man, u made sense, over and over again, most of the comments i am reading here shows the low level of thinking and intelligence of the Nigerian youth, someone comparing him with olajumoke that she has more recognition, daft comment, shooting themselves in the leg, the topic is does he deserve the honours? No, does he deserve national recognition? yes with financial support or a scholarship for further studies and more.

You cannot blame those who attacked the OP. The tone of his post shows that he is greatly envious of the guy.

3 Likes

Re: Why Mr Ayodele Dada Shouldn't Be Given A National Honour by Nobody: 7:12pm On Mar 24, 2016
don4real18:

Republic (GCFR)
(GCON)
Republic (CFR)
(OFR)
(MFR)

Bello Wahab O.
There is something you have failed to understand. Graduating with first class doesn't just mean your intellectually sound. It means you pay attention to detail, are committed to your course and didn't take anything for granted. That's why many multinationals have got a thing for them. Why don't you appreciate good success when you see one. If he is to be given a honor, fine. It will serve as an encouragement to others. Let's be critical when we need and not in instances as this.
Re: Why Mr Ayodele Dada Shouldn't Be Given A National Honour by engrchykae(m): 7:12pm On Mar 24, 2016
From what the op said,the national awards are all spelt out and very distinguished ranking from gcfr,gcon,con,mon,oon,cfr etc.
Then the op asked which one are we going to give mr dada?
For now he have not served Nigeria rather he is looking for how Nigeria will serve by providing his house rent.
I went through school,i know the rigours and how i struggled to make my 2:2 in engineering but the hard reality is that our society prefers illiterates who affects their lives positively than intellectuals and i dont blame them.
Until we graduates begin to make impact through research,nigerians wont take us serious.
Left for me first class graduates shouldn't be given automatic employment rather they should be funded by fg or private companies to set up employment opportunities for others or go into research.

1 Like

Re: Why Mr Ayodele Dada Shouldn't Be Given A National Honour by 3rdlegxxx(m): 7:12pm On Mar 24, 2016
daretodiffer:

You cannot blame those who attacked the OP. The tone of his post shows that he is greatly envious of the guy.

well i can't really argue with you on that one, he actually did come off as envious even tho it was a bit.
Re: Why Mr Ayodele Dada Shouldn't Be Given A National Honour by 3rdlegxxx(m): 7:13pm On Mar 24, 2016
Beemhan:
download sense bros... There's a new version available

(brutality shocked shocked grin grin)
Re: Why Mr Ayodele Dada Shouldn't Be Given A National Honour by Nobody: 7:13pm On Mar 24, 2016
3rdlegxxx:

well i can't really argue with you on that one, he actually did come off as envious even tho it was a bit.

It wasn't a bit
Re: Why Mr Ayodele Dada Shouldn't Be Given A National Honour by 3rdlegxxx(m): 7:15pm On Mar 24, 2016
daretodiffer:

You think he is not going to ace it undecided and that is beside the point. That point is totally irrelevant.

It is like telling me that a law degree in Nigeria is useless because I can't use in developed countries.

Both of you do not know what you are talking about. There are several jobs unrelated to psychology that he can do with that grade.

very true and also psychology is one broad course, he can work in a whole lot of places, trust me, i know this for a fact.
Re: Why Mr Ayodele Dada Shouldn't Be Given A National Honour by layla129(f): 7:15pm On Mar 24, 2016
daretodiffer:

Your point is only relevant if he doesn't have the plan to step out Nigeria or Africa
Re: Why Mr Ayodele Dada Shouldn't Be Given A National Honour by daveP(m): 7:16pm On Mar 24, 2016
JeffreyJamez:

sweet news to eduction freaks.....normal news to me.
Lol. we need Kunle Afolayan and Kelani to produce a deep movie on this situo. it's rottening.

cgpa, a chase away from natural endowment and talent, reality, at least in nig.
Re: Why Mr Ayodele Dada Shouldn't Be Given A National Honour by 3rdlegxxx(m): 7:16pm On Mar 24, 2016
daretodiffer:

It wasn't a bit

lol, dear u sure took ur time analysing the way he sounded then cos i read it just twice and moved on, easy ooo cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Protesting Residents In Benin Wore Red Outfits For Their March Today. Photos / Picture Of Python Killed In Osustech / 15 Hilarious Tweets By Nigerian Students As ASUU Calls Off Strike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.