Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,505 members, 7,830,518 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 12:54 AM

Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? (45165 Views)

Breast Ironing! Woman’s Inhumanity To Woman In The Name Of Culture / Warning !!! Desist From Spreading Your Clothes Outside in the Night. / Breast Ironing – Girls Face Mutilation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? by Nobody: 9:56pm On Mar 27, 2016
jmichlins:
So many african country needs to be colonised again by nigeria
grin grin grin grin
Re: Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? by badlaw(f): 10:04pm On Mar 27, 2016
Odikwa vry risk.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? by tobishills12(m): 10:13pm On Mar 27, 2016
ExAngel007:
my GOD
I have a feeling I've seen your face outside NL. Do you attend Unilorin?
Re: Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? by jcklsweet(f): 10:24pm On Mar 27, 2016
onnybee:
From what I could gather, this is a practice carried out mainly here in Africa that involves the use of instruments such as pestles, hot grinding stones, bananas, coconut shells, spatulas and coal-heated hammers to press, massage and crush the developing breast tissues of many young girls at the early stage of puberty. shocked

This is done to prevent them from being attractive to males and hence prevent rape and other forms of sexual abuse.

This ‘culture’ is widespread in Cameroon and other African countries including Kenya, Benin and Ivory coast, and affects around 3.8 million teenagers overall according to the United Nations.

Breast ironing is usually performed by the victim’s mother on the basis that she is trying to protect the girl from sexual harassment and rape, to avert early pregnancy that would smear the family name, or to let the girl go after education instead of being forced into early marriage.

This practice is extremely painful and the girls are put at risk of tissue damage and cysts, malformed breasts, and in extreme cases it can cause one or both breasts to disappear. cry

There are worries that breast ironing has spread to the diaspora with an increase in the number of cases in Britain though charities, NGOs and human right groups are working to raise awareness concerning the problem.
this is unacceptable...its utterly degrading to the female gender....its injustice to the she-folks.
Re: Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? by onnybee: 11:45pm On Mar 27, 2016
Tobium1:
De protruding nyansh nko?

lol
Re: Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? by vindisick: 12:18am On Mar 28, 2016
people are suffering oo. oh chi m!
Re: Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? by Lenny5k: 12:23am On Mar 28, 2016
There is a Video of this on Youtube.... Just check! Though, a bit difficult to watch
Re: Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? by gbame(m): 12:53am On Mar 28, 2016
Source please
Re: Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? by onnybee: 1:13am On Mar 28, 2016
Hi, everyone. Just to make a couple of things clearer:

Breast ironing is practised in all parts of Cameroon,and has been reported in Ivory Coast, Guinea-Bissau and Guinea-Conakry, Togo, Chad, Kenya, Zimbabwe and South-Africa. Some sources add Nigeria to the list but since i was young and now i am getting old, i have never heard of breast ironing being practised here. If you have, please let us know. If you are from any of the above countries apart from Cameroon and are sure your country is being falsely accused of this barbaric act, also please let us know.

In Britain, the act is being carried out on girls in west-African communities in Birmingham and London.
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3510492/British-girls-young-10-face-harm-breast-ironing-stones-heated-hot-caoals-ritual-imported-west-Africa.html

Your comments are appreciated. I have learned some things from them myself.
Re: Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? by ExAngel007(f): 6:56am On Mar 28, 2016
tobishills12:

I have a feeling I've seen your face outside NL. Do you attend Unilorin?
no SIR
Re: Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? by tobishills12(m): 1:37pm On Mar 28, 2016
ExAngel007:

no SIR
OK!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Great Yoruba Gospel Music / Memunat Omowunmi Badirat Olaitan And Their Twins In Saudi Arabia (pics) / Photos Of Nigerian Masquerade Spotted In Spain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.